PDA

View Full Version : Outback LS back storage lid

moombaschleg
07-08-2003, 10:20 PM
Am I the only one who feels it stays damp in the rear storage area? I have to prop it open after a day out to let it air dry. I was wondering if anyone has installed struts to help them stay open.

On some models I have noticed the "suicide" doors that open opposite one another with struts.

waterboy
07-09-2003, 03:58 AM
Mine stays damp, too. I use a 1 foot section of PVC pipe to prop mine up, with a thick piece of foam glued to one end so it doesn't scratch the lip. Keeping it propped from the center will help avoid any warping. If it's really wet back there, I'll put in a container of Damp Rid. You can usually find it at Walmart....it really absorbs a lot of moisture.

Brian

jburnside
07-09-2003, 07:53 AM
I too have the same issue with my '03 Outback LS. I usually try to stick a couple of cheap PFd's at each side of the lid to keep it open to let it air dry. My reason for wanting to install the struts is to hold the darn thing open when I'm trying to get my board out. We keep our 2 person tube rolled-up back there also and I am always struggling trying to get it to stay open. I'd bet if you want to add struts you would have to remove the vinyl and foam and re-enforce the plastic backing, unless this same lid is used on other skiers Choice boats that have the struts (could already be sturdy enough). Maybe Brian Raymond will check this thread out and lend his expertise.

noneya
07-09-2003, 11:51 AM
2 person tube???? First upgrade would be to throw that thing out!! haha. my rear trunk stays open by itself, if I'm worried about it drying out I prop it open with the adjustable aluminum pole you put under the cover for rain drainage.

waterboy
07-10-2003, 09:39 AM
I second that comment about the tube! Just kidding.....anyway, I use the same piece of PVC off to the side to prop up the lid while taking out the toys. I put a small bolt on the underside to hold the edge of the pipe (there's already a hole) off to the left, and it allows easy access. Just toss it in when you're done.

Brian

geforce
07-10-2003, 07:26 PM
I used the same type of spring they use on the glove box on the 2003 Mobius, I got mine at Home Depot for like 6 dollars. It is about 16" long and rated for 39lbs. It holds it open. I can post pictures.

moombaschleg
07-11-2003, 01:15 PM
yes please post pics if you have 'em!!

Thanks

waterboy
07-12-2003, 03:01 AM
So do you have the spring bolted in place?

Ed, that was not me on the lake Monday. I saw the same boat, it was a yellow Malibu. Nice looking, but not as nice as a Moomba!
Did you see the thread on 10 hour service?

Brian