PDA

View Full Version : Will gas prices this summer alter your boating use/plans?

Guppydriver
04-27-2022, 04:08 PM
We all knew this wasn't a poor man's hobby going in, BUT....

Depending on what state you live in, how far you tow, and the fact that most of us put 91-93 octane in our Raptors; this year could noticeably more expensive that years past. Some of us will be looking at $6 plus per gallon.

I'm still going to do my Havasu and Powell trips this summer, but I might take a few evenings at the local res off due to costs. I also have NEVER accepted money from friends and family when they come with me on a occasion, but this year I might start pocketing the couple of twenties they tend to hand me after a day on the water.

I was just wondering if this is going to affect how and where you use your boat this season?

Zog
04-27-2022, 05:17 PM
Current on-the-water gas price at Wahweap Marina is $7.07 and $7.21 for Stateline and Bullfrog, but that isn't supreme. Antelope Point is showing $4.78 for the same fuel, so you know they haven't updated, but their supreme is $0.50 higher. Makes the Lake Powell trip interesting. 400 gallons at $7.21 for me isn't going to be real fun.

I am happy to pay the price for boating at the local lakes, but I don't think I will have a choice this summer. The local lakes may not even open.

mjb929rr
04-27-2022, 06:25 PM
Wife and I were just figuring up how much extra it will cost us this summer. We used just over 800 gallons in the boat last summer. Pretty much all of that was 2.99 at the local station by the lake. Currently their price is 4.69 per gallon so if it stays similar we anticipate an extra $1360 for the summer. Figuring it this way it doesn’t seem so bad, an extra 350 a month or so. Fortunately this isn’t a year round sport!

Bigs28
04-27-2022, 09:49 PM
I use a gas caddy and get my gas at the wawa. It will obviously be more then last year but won't change a thing. Just got off the lake a couple hours ago and in 10 months we have 137 hours on the boat.

rdlangston13
04-27-2022, 10:01 PM
Nope. I set aside money every month for summer fuel usage. Won’t make it out until mid/late June anyways so we should have a surplus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgswake
04-27-2022, 10:18 PM
If I understand correctly there are currently three engines the 400, 450, and 550. What is the minimum octane level that can be used in each? I thought it was 89.

larry_arizona
04-27-2022, 10:22 PM
400 89
440 89
450/460 91
550/575 91

Guppydriver
04-27-2022, 10:47 PM
If I understand correctly there are currently three engines the 400, 450, and 550. What is the minimum octane level that can be used in each? I thought it was 89.

It is 89 like @larryarizona says...

I would bet the majority of us 400 owners still put in high octane whenever possible just for added peace of mind. Maybe putting in 89 this year is a way to save a few bucks, but I'm sure I'll still put in the highest available.

HFarr
04-27-2022, 11:07 PM
I have a 21 400 Raptor. I have run both 89 and 93 in it and can't really tell any difference.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Bigs28
04-28-2022, 04:28 AM
I use 90 octane because that's what the ethanol free is.

Mxmark4
04-28-2022, 08:00 AM
It will affect our plans, but not as bad as my new work schedule will. Working every other weekend is gonna be worse on my summer plans than the fuel budget. I have hope its going to drop down some,but we shall see.

larry_arizona
04-28-2022, 08:03 AM
Will have zero effect on my lake time.

I run 90 octane, mixing 87 and 93 50-50. Same price as 89.

So far weather is having a bigger effect, we typically hit the water first week of May and this spring has been cold, still getting sub freezing temps at night.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220428/043d4142f6deccc1888d59681fe4a79d.jpg

SONIC
04-28-2022, 08:35 AM
I'm looking at it similar to MJB above.
Assuming I put ~75 hours on this summer and also assuming I'm running about 5gph that's 375 gallons this summer at my current price of ~$4 for 89 octane puts me at 1500 in fuel. Compare to 2.50 gas at 938 it will cost me $562 in additional fuel. Most of us wouldn't blink to spend 562 on a new board or more lead or ballast bags or beer.
Even if we end up going to the lake twice as much as I estimate it will only be an additional 1000 bucks this year.

Gas prices suck, but in the grand scheme they aren't a big deal if you aren't already hurting for money.

I just have to remind myself of the math while I'm at the pump because no matter what I'm still a cheap-ass at heart and I hate watching the pump tick off dollars like a reverse slot machine haha.

mgswake
04-28-2022, 09:33 AM
Sonic - good point about not hurting for money. I think a majority of people that buy these expensive boats are not hurting for money. I bet there are some that buy based on monthly payment (essentially leasing the boat) as opposed to those who will pay off the boat in time. Neither is wrong, but I could see someone scraping to make payments more affected by gas prices.

996scott
04-28-2022, 11:00 AM
short answer is no, it won't effect our summer. Having enough water in our lakes is the biggest concern for us. We are dry!!!!!

sandm
04-28-2022, 11:11 AM
Having enough water in our lakes is the biggest concern for us. We are dry!!!!!

this is the MUCH bigger concern out west. another article today about snwa having to fire up a new water intake for las vegas water as one of the old ones went dry on monday. mead is a trainwreck and I see a TON of busted lower units this year due to new outcroppings being close to the surface. I sure hope that some of the surrounding states start cracking down on watering. get caught watering outside your designated day here and it's a fine. there's a cell shortcut to anonymously report your neighbors.....

on gas, if you are running 93 in a boat designed for 89, your pissing money away. run the octane they suggest and if you want to "treat" the boat, find non-ethanol. that's a better spend than putting premium in.

Guppydriver
04-28-2022, 11:20 AM
Sonic - good point about not hurting for money. I think a majority of people that buy these expensive boats are not hurting for money. I bet there are some that buy based on monthly payment (essentially leasing the boat) as opposed to those who will pay off the boat in time. Neither is wrong, but I could see someone scraping to make payments more affected by gas prices.

Actually an interesting post @mgswake. I'm really not sure if the majority of modern wake boat owners are insulated from the rising price of gas. I had a friend who sold Porsches (before the SUV craze) and Aston's and I remember asking him how much a typical buyer "made". He responded, "These guys don't have income. They have wealth".

Although the families buying Paragons, M240's, Ri265, and the like are probably ones who have "wealth", I bet the vast majority of current gen boaters are like me. After decades of hard work and dues paying, I'm blessed with a good income and am investing to retire, but by no means do I have "wealth". I have to be physically present at my job to have earning power. Admittedly, my $600 dollar boat payment + yearly registration + insurance +maintenance is pretty easy to carry.

However, if going up to the lake even for a few hours becomes a $300 proposition instead of $150, I will start to feel it for sure if I continue to go twice a week like I did last year. I can see myself not going for those quick "evening runs" like I did last season. In the last 2 years everything has gone up save for my paycheck. Hell, the truck I would have dropped 50k for two years ago, will probably cost me 70K!!

Unless there is some sort of correction, inflation has also changed my longer term boat plans. I honestly thought I would have my current boat for about 2- 3 seasons, get used to V-Drive boating, then upgrade to my dream boat, which is a Supra SL. That was a feasible plan not too long ago. After going to the boat show though in February and talking to dealers, I'm flat ass priced out of the market. And this is coming from someone who is very easily in the top 5% income threshold . I seriously don't know how so many people do it.

That being said... Paradoxically...There is nothing that can make me forget our country's sad state of economic affairs faster than being out on the lake at sunset. It's pure heaven.

Zog
04-28-2022, 01:10 PM
this is the MUCH bigger concern out west. another article today about snwa having to fire up a new water intake for las vegas water as one of the old ones went dry on monday. mead is a trainwreck and I see a TON of busted lower units this year due to new outcroppings being close to the surface. I sure hope that some of the surrounding states start cracking down on watering. get caught watering outside your designated day here and it's a fine. there's a cell shortcut to anonymously report your neighbors.....

on gas, if you are running 93 in a boat designed for 89, your pissing money away. run the octane they suggest and if you want to "treat" the boat, find non-ethanol. that's a better spend than putting premium in.

One other note about octane levels. At high altitude, octane ratings can be 2 points lower as a result of the fuel/oxygen ratio (lower air density=lower oxygen). The manufacturers tend to state that you should not attempt to run at octane below the listed values in electronic fuel injected engines, but does anyone know better? I am still going to put in 91 octane ethanol free, since that is the only ethanol free blend available here, but just curious.

2in2out
04-28-2022, 02:47 PM
That being said... Paradoxically...There is nothing that can make me forget our country's sad state of economic affairs faster than being out on the lake at sunset. It's pure heaven.

Agreed!!!

Making my new SA build come true!!!

KnoxMojo
04-28-2022, 08:19 PM
0, won't affect me...well, I may think twice about cruising 30 minutes to go eat at a marina, nah, we will go anyway because my daughter loves it, lol... but as far as our riding frequency, nope.

RUGER761
04-29-2022, 09:19 AM
Probably wont affect our boarding time, but going to notice it for sure, will likely limit our any trips across the lake for cruising. Especially since we stay out all weekend pulling our 5th wheel to the lake with us. Feeding 2 trucks and a boat will add up quickly with $5 diesel.

SONIC
04-29-2022, 10:42 AM
Actually an interesting post @mgswake. I'm really not sure if the majority of modern wake boat owners are insulated from the rising price of gas. I had a friend who sold Porsches (before the SUV craze) and Aston's and I remember asking him how much a typical buyer "made". He responded, "These guys don't have income. They have wealth".

Although the families buying Paragons, M240's, Ri265, and the like are probably ones who have "wealth", I bet the vast majority of current gen boaters are like me. After decades of hard work and dues paying, I'm blessed with a good income and am investing to retire, but by no means do I have "wealth". I have to be physically present at my job to have earning power. Admittedly, my $600 dollar boat payment + yearly registration + insurance +maintenance is pretty easy to carry.

However, if going up to the lake even for a few hours becomes a $300 proposition instead of $150, I will start to feel it for sure if I continue to go twice a week like I did last year. I can see myself not going for those quick "evening runs" like I did last season. In the last 2 years everything has gone up save for my paycheck. Hell, the truck I would have dropped 50k for two years ago, will probably cost me 70K!!

Unless there is some sort of correction, inflation has also changed my longer term boat plans. I honestly thought I would have my current boat for about 2- 3 seasons, get used to V-Drive boating, then upgrade to my dream boat, which is a Supra SL. That was a feasible plan not too long ago. After going to the boat show though in February and talking to dealers, I'm flat ass priced out of the market. And this is coming from someone who is very easily in the top 5% income threshold . I seriously don't know how so many people do it.

I completely see your logic here and agree that that's the majority of boaters story.
I struggle to understand how most people do it as well.
Different people have different views on financial responsibility is what it comes down to I think.

Ironcross25
04-30-2022, 08:46 AM
Just took delivery of our 22 mojo little over a month ago so gas won’t be deterring me. Saw gas prices like this before here in ohio but the bigger tank will make me cringe a bit at fill up lol. May look at a gas caddy this year but I’ve always looked at it like, I have to drive into town fill up 1 big gas caddy or a ton of smaller tanks then drag or carry all to the dock and add to boat. Or I can just put around the point to the dock and drop in 100 bucks ( prolly little more this year due to bigger tank) and be good for the weekend. Sometimes more depending on fuel level. For me since me and my son are the only riders at this time and sometimes his buddy we don’t plow through gas unless the kiddos want me to punish them in the tube. That will change as my other kids grow.

Guppydriver
04-30-2022, 02:49 PM
Just took delivery of our 22 mojo little over a month ago so gas won’t be deterring me. Saw gas prices like this before here in ohio but the bigger tank will make me cringe a bit at fill up lol. May look at a gas caddy this year but I’ve always looked at it like, I have to drive into town fill up 1 big gas caddy or a ton of smaller tanks then drag or carry all to the dock and add to boat. Or I can just put around the point to the dock and drop in 100 bucks ( prolly little more this year due to bigger tank) and be good for the weekend. Sometimes more depending on fuel level. For me since me and my son are the only riders at this time and sometimes his buddy we don’t plow through gas unless the kiddos want me to punish them in the tube. That will change as my other kids grow.

1. Congrats on the Mojo... Best bang for your buck in the market (well...tied for what I bought, but I'm biased lol)

2. Where the hell are the pics??????? That's the best part of the forum!

mmandley
04-30-2022, 02:59 PM
My short answer is FOOK NO!! it won't alter my boat time,

But lets face it I have less then 100hrs in 3 years and I own water front property LOL

Too much work and travel and not enough Boat in my life, but I just accepted a local job and I am out of the travel, I will be an ole 5 days 8hr a week man LOL.

But I have a couple of my best friends from OR coming in May and then Claudia has 15 of her sisters, friends. nieces, nephews coming in June so I expect to be buying fuel like there a hole in my tank LOL

I am already budgeting $200 a day while they are here

HFarr
04-30-2022, 11:23 PM
My short answer is FOOK NO!! it won't alter my boat time,

But lets face it I have less then 100hrs in 3 years and I own water front property LOL

No much work and travel and not enough Boat in my life, but I just accepted a local job and I am out of the travel, I will be an ole 5 days 8hr a week man LOL.

But I have a couple of my best friends from OR coming in May and then Claudia has 15 of her sisters, friends. nieces, nephews coming in June so I expect to be buying flue like there a hole in my tank LOL

I am already budgeting $200 a day while they are hereBuy a couple of Kayaks to keep them busy. And NO fuel For those! Or one of those cheap paddle boats that wear you out i like 10 minutes! LOL!

HFarr
04-30-2022, 11:24 PM
Better yet, just take them to Lake Lanier Islands!1[emoji28]

Mxmark4
05-01-2022, 09:04 AM
I had said it would affect our time out on the lake previously but after going out yesterday and surf ing my new board I realized I dont care that much. I finally have a decent surf wave, I am getting further back from the boat, and getting it down on the skim board The wife doesnt mind the fuel bill so why should I worry about it. I trailer to the lake and fuel up wherever I findna deal on fuel so right now it doesnt matter much.

mmandley
05-01-2022, 04:35 PM
Better yet, just take them to Lake Lanier Islands!1[emoji28]

I would have to take them in the car, that's almost 1/2 tank of fuel each way LOL. It will all be good, I bet more time then not they will be on the dock swimming floating, it will be me ion the boat trying to get some relax time LOL

vdubnick
05-03-2022, 05:41 PM

agreed... also, how picky is the raptor? octane usually only matters when timing is advanced and/or high RPM how picky are these? i wonder how much it advances when loaded up in surf mode.

anyone run 87?

brad460
05-03-2022, 07:33 PM
I’ve been working from home since March 2020 and so I figure I’ve saved lots of money on gas in general- So prices won’t stop us. Also, happy to pay more if it hurts Dems in the mid terms..