PDA

View Full Version : Reserved our 2023 Kaiyen build spot

dyrmz134
04-16-2022, 08:43 PM
First-time poster- hopefully first of many.

Was sold on this model after a visit to a local boat show where I crawled around on a 22 Kaiyen for over an hour. Had a chance to buy that exact boat but the price was the same as building exactly what we want.

Anywaysss, we got our spot reserved for the '23 build. I'm told options & pricing will be announced in May and the official order can be placed then. Built in July-ish, delivery August or September 2023.

I'll update when I know more!

mgswake
04-16-2022, 08:59 PM
Congrats! Any boating experience? Should be a fun boat for ya. How big is your crew? Do you ski, wakeboard, wale surf?

dyrmz134
04-17-2022, 08:05 AM
Congrats! Any boating experience? Should be a fun boat for ya. How big is your crew? Do you ski, wakeboard, wale surf?

I’ve been a Jetski guy for about 10 years. First a 96 seadoo xp then now a 2015 gti130. Pretty fun but the crew now is a wife and two kids (6&14) so the ski is obviously not enough.

I got the boat bug last year when I was on a friends new Axis. Was a nice boat but the fit and finish was lacking.

I think we’ll do a little of everything , I’m excited to get into wake surfing.

larry_arizona
04-17-2022, 08:10 AM
Welcome and congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dyrmz134
04-17-2022, 10:01 AM
Welcome and congrats.

Thank you! Happy to be here. Haven't used a forum since my car days on zilvia.net

996scott
04-17-2022, 10:24 AM
Congrats, you will love the boat! It will be a long wait but worth it. In the mean time check in on the forum and read up on the boat and the options, you will learn a ton. You will get a good feel for what options you may want and what ones you can do without. There are plenty of threads about "what options should i get" or "is it worth it to get this ...... option.

MJHSupra
04-17-2022, 12:03 PM
Welcome and congrats.

One of the boat mfrs (?Malibu?) was advertising to lock in a 2023 model at 2022 pricing. I thought that was a cool idea to start getting people to reserve spots.

dyrmz134
04-18-2022, 04:11 PM
Congrats, you will love the boat! It will be a long wait but worth it. In the mean time check in on the forum and read up on the boat and the options, you will learn a ton. You will get a good feel for what options you may want and what ones you can do without. There are plenty of threads about "what options should i get" or "is it worth it to get this ...... option.

Good advice! It's interesting to hear opinions on heaters, surf pipes, audio ,etc.

HFarr
04-18-2022, 04:37 PM
Definitely get a surfpipe! So much quieter ride quality. Heater seems like a luxury you can do without, and you can. But, you will be surprised at how much you will use it once you have one. So go for it!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
04-18-2022, 05:10 PM
+1 surfpipe
+1 on heater
Probably can build a better sound system aftermarket for similar $$

benny32
04-18-2022, 11:35 PM
As someone adding a surf pipe and heater to my 21 Makai I would highly recommend getting it done from factory. I kick myself for not getting them on the original order. Welcome and from one first time surfboat owner to another you guys are gonna love it. I'll also add that you should also plan to upgrade ballast after delivery. It's a relatively cheap upgrade with huge results on the primary function of the boat. You can rear bags that literally just drop into replace the factory rears and you have do is readjust the fill timer.

larry_arizona
04-19-2022, 08:30 AM
Adding a surf pipe after the fact is a PITA.

RUGER761
04-19-2022, 08:51 AM
Congrats on the order and welcome! Its a fun process to order one the exact way you want it. Lot of options to look through and colors/patterns.

dyrmz134
04-19-2022, 10:26 AM
Definitely get a surfpipe! So much quieter ride quality. Heater seems like a luxury you can do without, and you can. But, you will be surprised at how much you will use it once you have one. So go for it!

I'm in NC so I think it will extended the season somewhat and help in the cool am's.

+1 surfpipe
+1 on heater
Probably can build a better sound system aftermarket for similar $$

Thanks!

As someone adding a surf pipe and heater to my 21 Makai I would highly recommend getting it done from factory. I kick myself for not getting them on the original order. Welcome and from one first time surfboat owner to another you guys are gonna love it. I'll also add that you should also plan to upgrade ballast after delivery. It's a relatively cheap upgrade with huge results on the primary function of the boat. You can rear bags that literally just drop into replace the factory rears and you have do is readjust the fill timer.

10-4 I'll make sure we order those. I hear 500 lbs of lead will make a huge difference with not much work. I assume the g6 pumps and flow 3 are worth doing on a new build?

Congrats on the order and welcome! Its a fun process to order one the exact way you want it. Lot of options to look through and colors/patterns.

For sure- am told mid-may to head to the dealer and place official order.

RUGER761
04-19-2022, 10:43 AM
10-4 I'll make sure we order those. I hear 500 lbs of lead will make a huge difference with not much work. I assume the g6 pumps and flow 3 are worth doing on a new build?

Absolutely get the G6 pumps for faster filling/adjusting/draining and I'd recommend the Flow 3 as well.

MJHSupra
04-19-2022, 12:38 PM
Absolutely get the G6 pumps for faster filling/adjusting/draining and I'd recommend the Flow 3 as well.

Yep, those are two items that peeps ask for during resale.

rhouse181
04-19-2022, 01:09 PM

For sure- am told mid-may to head to the dealer and place official order.

How large is your typical crew size?

Lead makes a huge difference... we're up to 700 lbs in our Kaiyen and the wave keeps getting better.

Picture from this weekend trying to burn off some Easter candy with just the wife and 2 kiddos in the boat. The more people you add, the longer and rampier the wave gets:

https://i.imgur.com/sby2JVP.jpg

HFarr
04-19-2022, 02:08 PM
Yes on my 2 cents as well on the G6 and Flow 3.

HFarr
04-19-2022, 02:13 PM
How large is your typical crew size?

Lead makes a huge difference... we're up to 700 lbs in our Kaiyen and the wave keeps getting better.

Picture from this weekend trying to burn off some Easter candy with just the wife and 2 kiddos in the boat. The more people you add, the longer and rampier the wave gets:

https://i.imgur.com/sby2JVP.jpgYou need to go post this under the April Picture thread topic. As Far as I can tell you are the only one that has gotten on the water this month! Hats off to you!!

dyrmz134
04-19-2022, 09:36 PM
Yes on my 2 cents as well on the G6 and Flow 3.

Thanks for all the advice !

Dealer called back today to ask if I was interested in a ‘22 Makai that someone had ordered and backed out last minute. Is available in about 30 days.

Seems about ~ $10k more than the kaiyen with a few less options (heater , under water lights, etc.) but still nicely optioned with chill tech , premium wet sound package etc. 400 motor.

Max20
04-19-2022, 10:32 PM
Thanks for all the advice !

Dealer called back today to ask if I was interested in a ‘22 Makai that someone had ordered and backed out last minute. Is available in about 30 days.

Seems about ~ $10k more than the kaiyen with a few less options (heater , under water lights, etc.) but still nicely optioned with chill tech , premium wet sound package etc. 400 motor.

You may inquire about a heater install at the dealer. Underwater lights can be added easily if you want them. Everyone here will be happy to spend your money but my advice is DO IT!

If it’s still 30 days out can you pick colors and other options or is it too late for that?

benny32
04-19-2022, 11:14 PM
The only thing I'll say as an owner of a makai with similar crew size is you'll need more weight. I have 500lbs of lead and upgraded rear bags and just added midship bags to piggyback off the existing subfloor. With a small crew size the makai seems to need a lot of weight to really make that wave pop.

RUGER761
04-20-2022, 08:45 AM
If your up for a larger boat and a little extra $ then 30 days would be awesome vs a year with price increases. Heater is nice but not 100% needed and can be added pretty easy aftermarket as well as under water lights. Benny32 is right with a small crew it needs more weight. I haven't went to the extreme he has but I do have extra weight and it will likely get a bit more this year for when its just my family in the boat.

dyrmz134
04-20-2022, 12:20 PM
The only thing I'll say as an owner of a makai with similar crew size is you'll need more weight. I have 500lbs of lead and upgraded rear bags and just added midship bags to piggyback off the existing subfloor. With a small crew size the makai seems to need a lot of weight to really make that wave pop.

The dealer rep said the wake makers in the rear is usually enough to help a small crew. I guess you can always want a better wave !

If your up for a larger boat and a little extra $ then 30 days would be awesome vs a year with price increases. Heater is nice but not 100% needed and can be added pretty easy aftermarket as well as under water lights. Benny32 is right with a small crew it needs more weight. I haven't went to the extreme he has but I do have extra weight and it will likely get a bit more this year for when its just my family in the boat.

Thanks ! Good notes.

dyrmz134
04-20-2022, 12:20 PM
You may inquire about a heater install at the dealer. Underwater lights can be added easily if you want them. Everyone here will be happy to spend your money but my advice is DO IT!

If it’s still 30 days out can you pick colors and other options or is it too late for that?

Too late for colors. It’s triple black exterior with the pecan chill tech interior. Idk if I would have built it that way , but IMO is pretty slick looking.

HFarr
04-20-2022, 06:41 PM
Got any pictures of it? The size difference in those two will be pretty noticeable. But I love my Makai and the room it gives you. Sounds like a good chance to go bigger if you think you may need the room.

benny32
04-20-2022, 06:58 PM
You guys will have a blast just getting out there together! I love to tinker and putting a little money and sweat equity to maximize the experience is half the fun.

dyrmz134
04-20-2022, 09:23 PM
You guys will have a blast just getting out there together! I love to tinker and putting a little money and sweat equity to maximize the experience is half the fun.

Thanks!

Do you have the wake maker bags in the rear?

benny32
04-20-2022, 11:59 PM
Thanks!

Do you have the wake maker bags in the rear?

I do. They were a day one upgrade. I did a couple passes with the stock bags for comparison but they didn't last long. So much bang for the buck.

dyrmz134
04-21-2022, 05:03 AM
Got any pictures of it? The size difference in those two will be pretty noticeable. But I love my Makai and the room it gives you. Sounds like a good chance to go bigger if you think you may need the room

Not great photos's- all I've got is a screenshot from the dealer quote.

30251 30252

dyrmz134
04-21-2022, 05:04 AM
I do. They were a day one upgrade. I did a couple passes with the stock bags for comparison but they didn't last long. So much bang for the buck.

Seems like the move for sure!

benny32
04-21-2022, 07:17 PM
Wow, that's the batmobile version! Pretty sweet.

dyrmz134
04-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Wow, that's the batmobile version! Pretty sweet.

Yeah it is !

I went and spent some time today on a “sold” makai that was at the dealer and wow, so much bigger than the Kaiyen. But awesome.

TXSurf4
04-22-2022, 08:15 AM
Ya we have never regretted having a bigger boat. The Kaiyen is a great boat but if you are like us and constantly have family and friends on the boat with you the space of the Makai is where it is at. Like everyone has said throw the wakemakers bags in the rear and buy some lead done.

dyrmz134
04-22-2022, 09:47 PM
Ya we have never regretted having a bigger boat. The Kaiyen is a great boat but if you are like us and constantly have family and friends on the boat with you the space of the Makai is where it is at. Like everyone has said throw the wakemakers bags in the rear and buy some lead done.

Got the final quote with the wake makers already in the "build" sheet ! I told the sales rep to go ahead, no point in riding around stock for a month then having to drag it back for the sensible upgrade.

mgswake
04-23-2022, 08:34 AM
I may have missed it in the thread, are you staying with the Kaiyen, or going with the Makai?

dyrmz134
04-23-2022, 08:36 AM
I may have missed it in the thread, are you staying with the Kaiyen, or going with the Makai?

Nope you didn't miss it- I've been waffling.

Committing to the Makai this am.

larry_arizona
04-23-2022, 08:39 AM
Not to confuse matters but did you consider the mojo?

The mojo is $2k more than the Kaiyen.

Mojo just seems to be the biggest bang for the $$, plus the newest model design in the moomba lineup.

dyrmz134
04-27-2022, 01:25 PM
Not to confuse matters but did you consider the mojo?

The mojo is $2k more than the Kaiyen.

Mojo just seems to be the biggest bang for the $$, plus the newest model design in the moomba lineup.

I did initially, but the "in stock" Makai took the cake.

Since my last post, I negotiated an addition of a surf pipe, wake maker rear bag upgrade and windshield tint into the purchase price. ETA is within the next two weeks!

I'll post real pictures when we go to the "unveiling."

HFarr
04-27-2022, 06:27 PM
Sweet!

mgswake
04-27-2022, 10:20 PM
congrats!! that's exciting, can't wait to see your pictures.

benny32
04-27-2022, 11:39 PM
Wow, nice grab! You guys are in for the summer of your life. I hope your family loves your boat as much as much as we love ours and continue to participate in the forum because the folks around here have been awesome for a new boat owner.

dyrmz134
04-29-2022, 09:38 AM
congrats!! that's exciting, can't wait to see your pictures.

Wow, nice grab! You guys are in for the summer of your life. I hope your family loves your boat as much as much as we love ours and continue to participate in the forum because the folks around here have been awesome for a new boat owner.

Thanks! Will do- looking forward to sticking around.

dyrmz134
05-05-2022, 07:03 AM
Makai will arrive at the dealer this Friday- prep and install a few items then should be ready for pickup mid-week. Build sheet for anyone interested.

Edit: picture seems super small. I'll work on that.

TXSurf4
05-05-2022, 07:56 AM
Ya even zoomed in they are fuzzy.

dyrmz134
05-05-2022, 02:01 PM

A little better.

TXSurf4
05-05-2022, 02:34 PM
Going to be a good looking boat!! Might want to talk to the dealer about that prop option especially with adding more weight. I didn't see rack options on there or did I miss it?

dyrmz134
05-05-2022, 03:20 PM
Going to be a good looking boat!! Might want to talk to the dealer about that prop option especially with adding more weight. I didn't see rack options on there or did I miss it?

So the dealer specifically recommended that prop option, they claim it works better with the 400 motor. We will see. Of course, I don't have anything to compare to.

And yep I've got the basic swivel racks.

larry_arizona
05-05-2022, 03:42 PM
Aftermarket surf pipe or factory pipe?

HFarr
05-05-2022, 06:29 PM
If you plan on surfing a lot then that prop might not be the best choice. 15.5x15 would be better. Like the description says, it's more of a speed prop.

TXSurf4
05-05-2022, 08:49 PM
If you plan on surfing a lot then that prop might not be the best choice. 15.5x15 would be better. Like the description says, it's more of a speed prop.

Ya it is tough when they call the 15.5x18 a “Speed/Surf” prop. Theoretically it would be a sweet prop if it could hold surf speed when slammed as it would reduce RPMs. I have the ACME 15.5 x 15 (or 15.5 can’t remember) as my back up but I plan to switch it next weekend as I want to see how it compares the OJ 15.5x16.5

dyrmz134
05-05-2022, 09:14 PM
Aftermarket surf pipe or factory pipe?

Factory. Dealer install.

I questioned them really heavily on it but they swear they tested all factory prop options and this one is the best for the Makai with the 400 motor across the board. Obviously, I have no idea. But they claim it gets on plane better and better surf rpm's with some sacrifice in top-end speed.

dyrmz134
05-05-2022, 09:15 PM
Ya it is tough when they call the 15.5x18 a “Speed/Surf” prop. Theoretically it would be a sweet prop if it could hold surf speed when slammed as it would reduce RPMs. I have the ACME 15.5 x 15 (or 15.5 can’t remember) as my back up but I plan to switch it next weekend as I want to see how it compares the OJ 15.5x16.5

This is what the dealer claims to be true. I'll report back after some testing, but maybe hard with no comparison?

larry_arizona
05-05-2022, 10:08 PM
This is what the dealer claims to be true. I'll report back after some testing, but maybe hard with no comparison?

You will find out when you have a big crew and 1000# lead, fully slammed.

If you can or can’t hit surf speed will tell you how good that prop works.

benny32
05-05-2022, 11:12 PM
I changed mine to the 15.5x15 this spring because of the added weight. That speed/surf prop felt like it was making the engine work incredibly hard. I haven't gotten out on the water with the new prop yet but I'll let you know what I think after I get some time with it.

TXSurf4
05-06-2022, 07:54 AM
I confirmed my back up is the ACME 2847 15.5x15 so we will see how it compares next weekend.

So the unveiling of Vador is today right? are we going to get any pictures? This boat is going to be sweet!

dyrmz134
05-06-2022, 08:16 AM
I confirmed my back up is the ACME 2847 15.5x15 so we will see how it compares next weekend.

So the unveiling of Vador is today right? are we going to get any pictures? This boat is going to be sweet!

Technically it's arriving at the dealer today but then it's getting tinted, surf pipe install etc. so I won't lay eyes on it until mid-next week :(

I like the vador name, or batmobile, or something...

TXSurf4
05-06-2022, 08:20 AM
Technically it's arriving at the dealer today but then it's getting tinted, surf pipe install etc. so I won't lay eyes on it until mid-next week :(

I like the vador name, or batmobile, or something...

Awe you aren't going to go peel the travel cover off and enjoy that feeling or the new boat smells?! Lol

Is your dealer close?

RUGER761
05-06-2022, 08:40 AM
Will be interesting to see what the 15.5x18 prop does. Ours has a 15.5x16.5 does excellent surfing, we run 400# lead and 5-10 adults on a good weekend.

HFarr
05-06-2022, 01:57 PM
Yall definitely report back on your prop results!

vdubnick
05-06-2022, 01:57 PM
Will be interesting to see what the 15.5x18 prop does. Ours has a 15.5x16.5 does excellent surfing, we run 400# lead and 5-10 adults on a good weekend.

what is your altitude? we are at 2500-4800 depending on what lake, our dealer said the 15.5x15 was a must. anyone have numbers on RPM for surfing between the 16.5 and 15?

dyrmz134
05-06-2022, 02:51 PM
Awe you aren't going to go peel the travel cover off and enjoy that feeling or the new boat smells?! Lol

Is your dealer close?

I want it to be ready for pickup when I go! And not too far...1.5 hours. And with two lakes between them and me.

dyrmz134
05-06-2022, 02:56 PM
what is your altitude? we are at 2500-4800 depending on what lake, our dealer said the 15.5x15 was a must. anyone have numbers on RPM for surfing between the 16.5 and 15?

Funny how the dealer are adamant about a certain prop then the next dealer is the same about a different one. My closest lake is around 800' elevation.

RUGER761
05-06-2022, 03:04 PM

We're at 500ft. Tell you the truth I cant remember what rpm its turning. Haven't been on the water yet this year so cant remember and not going to get to this weekend were flooded out:( We run about 10.8 mph though.

larry_arizona
05-06-2022, 04:07 PM
If you told your dealer you wanted an all around prop, then perhaps the 15.5x18 is the best from all things like cruising, top speed for sure, beginning wake surf and wake boarding.

Most here are hard core surfing with a few wakeboarders mixed in so pulling heavy crew, ballast and max wake potential requires lowering pitch and sacrificing top end.

You will figure out what works for what you need pretty quick.

HFarr
05-06-2022, 05:27 PM
If you told your dealer you wanted an all around prop, then perhaps the 15.5x18 is the best from all things like cruising, top speed for sure, beginning wake surf and wake boarding.

Most here are hard core surfing with a few wakeboarders mixed in so pulling heavy crew, ballast and max wake potential requires lowering pitch and sacrificing top end.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI agree with what Larry just said. You will find your best fit depending on what you do the most of.

dyrmz134
05-08-2022, 07:59 AM

The boat was already selected with this prop- maybe it's a case of "it's great because it's already installed."

benny32
05-08-2022, 09:29 PM
The prop is one of those things that will only be a problem once you get to a certain weight. I would just pay attention to how the engine runs when you're fully loaded. I think you'll be fine as you sit but if you start piling additional weight in the boat it's worth looking at. I'll let you know how it goes for me.

Guppydriver
05-09-2022, 01:08 PM
I’m late to this thread , but wanted to add my congrats.

The Makai has so much presence on the ramp……it’s a huge boat and a head turner.

With annual price increases and interest rates on the rise (assuming you may finance ) , you may have picked a boat that you won’t grow out of ND will be easier to sell if you eventually do so, for close to the same cost !

That black is sweet !

dyrmz134
05-09-2022, 02:28 PM
I’m late to this thread , but wanted to add my congrats.

The Makai has so much presence on the ramp……it’s a huge boat and a head turner.

With annual price increases and interest rates on the rise (assuming you may finance ) , you may have picked a boat that you won’t grow out of ND will be easier to sell if you eventually do so, for close to the same cost !

That black is sweet !

Thanks! I appreciate the words. We are fired up. Should be on the water within the next 14 days , or less! :cool:

palettecad
05-10-2022, 08:15 AM
Welcome and congrats.

cozilla
05-10-2022, 11:35 AM
@dyrmz134 I assume you purchased from SouthTown? If so, they are great to work with. Congrats!

dyrmz134
05-10-2022, 07:50 PM
@dyrmz134 I assume you purchased from SouthTown? If so, they are great to work with. Congrats!

Yep, working with Greg.

Looks like the surf pipe may be on a longggg back order , so I figure I’ll just get it when I get it.

cozilla
05-11-2022, 09:23 AM
Good deal. Tell Greg Colin said hello when you see him next. I didn't have a surf pipe on my 21 Mojo when I bought it as it was an in stock boat. I talked to them about adding one last year but was more than I wanted to pay. It is definitely a nice to have but we get along just fine without it.

dyrmz134
05-11-2022, 09:48 AM
Good deal. Tell Greg Colin said hello when you see him next. I didn't have a surf pipe on my 21 Mojo when I bought it as it was an in stock boat. I talked to them about adding one last year but was more than I wanted to pay. It is definitely a nice to have but we get along just fine without it.

It being backordered has made me second-guess it to some degree. Seems like the believers are hard-core into it. Other side says it's not worth the $.

TXSurf4
05-11-2022, 10:14 AM
It being backordered has made me second-guess it to some degree. Seems like the believers are hard-core into it. Other side says it's not worth the $.

It is definitely worth the $ for the factory pipe. Weren't you able to negotiate that in your deal or are they charging you for it?

dyrmz134
05-11-2022, 11:04 AM
It is definitely worth the $ for the factory pipe. Weren't you able to negotiate that in your deal or are they charging you for it?

They gave me 50% off.

dyrmz134
05-11-2022, 11:05 AM

Picture the dealer sent me yesterday- not a great photo but she's getting closer!

2in2out
05-11-2022, 12:18 PM
At 50% off installed, get the surf pipe. It’ll be worth a few days downtime for install.

Making my new SA build come true!!!

larry_arizona
05-11-2022, 12:33 PM
That Makai is a beauty, love the black exterior and peanut butter interior.

TXSurf4
05-11-2022, 12:42 PM
Looking good!!

dyrmz134
05-11-2022, 02:04 PM
At 50% off installed, get the surf pipe. It’ll be worth a few days downtime for install.

Making my new SA build come true!!!

10-4. That's my plan. I'm thinking if it's slow coming in I'll get it installed at the 20 or 70 hour service.

That Makai is a beauty, love the black exterior and peanut butter interior.

Thanks! I'll snap some better ones when it's in my possession.

cozilla
05-11-2022, 03:09 PM
Makai looks great! My Mojo is all black as well. I used SouthTown's guy to tint my windshield. Changes the look of the boat.

dyrmz134
05-11-2022, 03:15 PM
Makai looks great! My Mojo is all black as well. I used SouthTown's guy to tint my windshield. Changes the look of the boat.

Batmobile gang.

HFarr
05-11-2022, 04:48 PM

30330What percentage is that tint? It does look good

HFarr
05-11-2022, 04:48 PM
Get that pipe! You won't regret it

cozilla
05-16-2022, 12:29 PM
What percentage is that tint? It does look good

Thanks! It's 15% tint.

cozilla
05-19-2022, 03:10 PM
@dyrmz134 saw picture of you with your new boat on the SouthTown Instagram page. Congrats man! Looks sick!

dyrmz134
05-20-2022, 08:46 AM

Maiden voyage yesterday!

All went well, took my time and went out to a big launch on a slow day. Launching was easy, coming back in at the end of the day was tough but not terrible- just being hyper cautious.

Did a mix of cruising around at different speeds and pulling a tube some. Filled the ballasts up just to see the wave for a minute. Overall tried to follow the break-in "rules."

dyrmz134
05-20-2022, 08:47 AM
@dyrmz134 saw picture of you with your new boat on the SouthTown Instagram page. Congrats man! Looks sick!

Thanks! We are stoked.

HFarr
05-20-2022, 11:43 AM
Awesome!!

mmandley
05-20-2022, 04:46 PM
For those of you wanting a Surf pipe you have the option to goto Fresh Air Exhaust and get one for your boat.

I had one of my 08 when the FAE was a new idea, then the very first one for a Mojo I did the mark up for FAE to build it on my 13-

Great product and I am pretty sure that they were some of the first to make them before the dealers started to OEM them.

https://www.freshairexhaust.com/

TXSurf4
05-20-2022, 09:02 PM
Boat look great!! Congrats!

dyrmz134
05-21-2022, 05:30 PM
Awesome!!

Boat look great!! Congrats!

Thanks!

Full day on Belews lake tomorrow. Will report back on results.

dyrmz134
05-31-2022, 11:09 AM
Thanks!

Full day on Belews lake tomorrow. Will report back on results.

13 hours in... misc. thoughts

- The prop discussed early in this thread (15.5 x eight) seems to be great (basically sea level elevation) with my normal crew + 2 adults. Pulls well out of the hole with a smooth top speed. Added 3 more adults and 3 teenagers (so, 8 people over 150 lbs) and seemed like with full ballast it didn't like full throttle starts or sharp turn pulling a 3 person tube (no ballast). It could hold speed, just seemed to be working really hard.

- Chilltech is pretty sweet, only gets super hot if the boat is sitting in the direct sun with no wind for 45min+, otherwise manageable

- Rear shade is a good idea, but since you "can't" drive with it up, I basically never use it

- Audio seems good right out of the box with minimal adjustments on the head unit

-I've got the rear wake maker upgrade but I've got to move the sensors up, so basically running stock ballast. I'll say that even being the case, I'm not unhappy with the wave. Looks great, just not quite enough push.

- I see why people buy thrusters...

TXSurf4
05-31-2022, 12:52 PM

- The prop discussed early in this thread (15.5 x eight) seems to be great (basically sea level elevation) with my normal crew + 2 adults. Pulls well out of the hole with a smooth top speed. Added 3 more adults and 3 teenagers (so, 8 people over 150 lbs) and seemed like with full ballast it didn't like full throttle starts or sharp turn pulling a 3 person tube (no ballast). It could hold speed, just seemed to be working really hard.

- Chilltech is pretty sweet, only gets super hot if the boat is sitting in the direct sun with no wind for 45min+, otherwise manageable

- Rear shade is a good idea, but since you "can't" drive with it up, I basically never use it

- Audio seems good right out of the box with minimal adjustments on the head unit

-I've got the rear wake maker upgrade but I've got to move the sensors up, so basically running stock ballast. I'll say that even being the case, I'm not unhappy with the wave. Looks great, just not quite enough push.

Good feed back! It will be interesting to see how you feel the 15.5x18 does once the bags fill up full with the same crew.

dyrmz134
06-23-2022, 04:09 PM
Good feed back! It will be interesting to see how you feel the 15.5x18 does once the bags fill up full with the same crew.

More feedback, the 15.5x18 is not the right prop for the ballast upgrade and a full crew. It "will" get on plane, but man it's working hard and takes 10-15+ seconds of WOT.

I just ordered a prop puller and a 15.5x16.5 (OJ 932). I'll keep my 18 as a backup. I was tempted to order the 15.5x15 but figured that would be a large change and I'm usually only with that big of a crew one day per month or less.

I think I'll be getting some lead at some point (probably once I get a different tow vehicle) so I'm glad to be changing props. I will say though, if you surf with a light crew, or don't surf much at all with a larger crew, the 18 is very fuel friendly and does great at low elevation for everything else.

dyrmz134
06-30-2022, 04:47 AM
Installing the 16.5 Friday and will go out this weekend and report back.

TXSurf4
06-30-2022, 07:32 AM

You will be happy!

RUGER761
06-30-2022, 08:31 AM
Kind of wondered on the 18 how well it would do heavy. You'll like the 16.5 on there, its a good all around prop

dyrmz134
07-04-2022, 06:19 AM

Noticeable change with the 16.5. (Objectively) 35% better holeshot power with no ballast, 15% better with full load.

Ran into bad weather and a small mechanical issue (fill tube for front ballast popped off) so we will have some more time out today.

WildH
07-06-2022, 11:19 PM

Did you use the Makai bags from wakemakers?

dyrmz134
07-13-2022, 07:35 AM
Did you use the Makai bags from wakemakers?

Yes.