PDA

View Full Version : I hate thieves....

sandm
04-12-2022, 11:04 AM
lots of lazy people in this country and seems that more and more of them are moving to vegas to live off the rest of us...

left work last night for my 1.6 mile drive home and when I started the f250's v10, it was LOUD AF....

well, you guessed it. cat cut out while I was at work. I work swing so was there from 11 to 8:30pm figured it happened at dusk but I got tired of reviewing footage so hoping my boss spots the culprit and we can track them. I work on a dead end street and our corner camera picks up everyone going past to the end of the street so hoping we will get lucky but doubtful.

now the real hunt begins. it's about a grand for a replacement used from what I see online. since the truck is a hybrid- obd2 sensor port but follows obd1 classifications, there's no o2 sensors pre or post cat(they are right after the manifolds) so working on trying to install a test pipe. I KNOW if I put a cat back in, it'll be gone in another few months. this truck is old, easy to see and sits higher than almost all halftons stock so it's ripe for the picking. honestly surprised it took this long.

hoping one of the mexican chop shops here can fab me up a test pipe for cash....

temporarily until I can install a "high flow cat" or register the rig as a "classic" here which means no more emissions.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220412/15b33ebc0bebf6eb9a0f892e82fe12fb.jpg

RUGER761
04-12-2022, 11:15 AM
Wow I bet that one set you off, I know I would be absolutely livid. I keep hearing more and more on the cats being cut off but haven't known anyone to have that happen yet. Bet that V10 was really talking to you on the way home.

996scott
04-12-2022, 12:23 PM
Dang, that sucks! Sorry to hear it happened to you. There have been a lot of stories on the news about this happening more and more. I feel like it's just a matter of time before we all get hit. :mad:

Zog
04-12-2022, 01:02 PM
That's really horrible. I don't know why there aren't better restrictions to disincentivize these thieves from this kind of activity. The guys buying these cats have to suspect what is going on when a tweaker comes in with a working catalytic converter.

sandm
04-12-2022, 01:12 PM
got a piece of pipe installed but it's ghetto and leaks. appt friday to get a hanger welded back on that they cut and hope they can fix it up for me under the table.

that said shop owner told me that he's done north of 1000 cat replacements since 2020 and that's just one shop in las vegas. said it's one of his main businesses now. couple cars a day showing up on flatbeds to get replacements.

Tommy2slow
04-12-2022, 01:32 PM
How many scrap metal recyclers are in the Las Vegas area? Shouldn’t be too hard for local law enforcement to track down who’s buying the cats. If this was relatively uncommon it would be hard to track but if one shop has done hundreds of these repairs that probably means thousands have been stolen across the city. My city has a copper theft problem and the city enacted a bylaw that recyclers have to hold the sellers goods for 30 days before payment and processing. I’m not sure how effective it was but large scale copper thefts aren’t making the local news anymore.

sandm
04-12-2022, 03:48 PM
Got the guy on video but not close enough. Car is a genesis with temp tag.
12:23 in the afternoon and took 2:37 start to driving off.....

A$$hat.....

Police wont do anything.
I handed them a fraudulent credit card case last year when my card was jacked at texas de brazil including the address 2 miles from me where the products were being send and nothing was done.

HFarr
04-12-2022, 04:36 PM
I hate thieves too!! After hearing about the sheriff's deputy that was shot and killed when he confronted the guys stealing his converter in broad daylight at the grocery store, I have absolutely no use for these low lifes!life's!! I agree that the law needs to make it hard as hell for shops to buy used catalytic converters. They did it with air conditioner condensing units.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Rilez
04-12-2022, 04:51 PM
How many scrap metal recyclers are in the Las Vegas area? Shouldn’t be too hard for local law enforcement to track down who’s buying the cats. If this was relatively uncommon it would be hard to track but if one shop has done hundreds of these repairs that probably means thousands have been stolen across the city. My city has a copper theft problem and the city enacted a bylaw that recyclers have to hold the sellers goods for 30 days before payment and processing. I’m not sure how effective it was but large scale copper thefts aren’t making the local news anymore.

Interesting. I live in the upper midwest & here, to try & cut down on it, when your vehicle goes in for service, they imprint your cat with a serial number if it hasn't already gotten one from prior service. There are still thefts of them, but I think has slowed it down a bit (at least according to the frequency that I hear about the thefts on the news). I guess I'm not exactly sure the process after the stamp as I haven't had to find out, but I assume the shop keeps a record & theoretically someone is supposed to check before buying it for scrap.

Sad how talented people get trying to break the rules. If they would just put half of that effort into a career, think of how different our country could look\

bergermaister
04-13-2022, 12:50 PM
My neighbor owns a dental practice. Said during the less than 1 hour appt a patient came in, did their cleaning, went back out, the cat on her Honda was gone. Broad daylight in a fairly reputable area. I subscribe to a Neighborhood watch update thing and literally every day there are reports of cats being snatched. A sawzall with a good blade and a couple minutes is all they need.

Thank GOD I live in the country and work from home. But I wouldn't be surprised to come out of the hardware or grocery store one day and have a WTF situation on my hands.

Our latest report is the sheriff won't respond (or even bother to report it) unless it's a life threatening situation, there is an identifiable suspect, or it is more than $5,000 of stolen property. Not because they don't want to - because they can't.

SorryCharlie
04-14-2022, 12:08 PM
My neighbor owns a dental practice. Said during the less than 1 hour appt a patient came in, did their cleaning, went back out, the cat on her Honda was gone. Broad daylight in a fairly reputable area. I subscribe to a Neighborhood watch update thing and literally every day there are reports of cats being snatched. A sawzall with a good blade and a couple minutes is all they need.

Thank GOD I live in the country and work from home. But I wouldn't be surprised to come out of the hardware or grocery store one day and have a WTF situation on my hands.

Our latest report is the sheriff won't respond (or even bother to report it) unless it's a life threatening situation, there is an identifiable suspect, or it is more than $5,000 of stolen property. Not because they don't want to - because they can't.

Rural is the place to be!! When I retire I will move even more rural. I hate thieves as well OP! You just gave me another reason to like my Chevy Bolt (no cat). Too bad it can't tow the MOJO>

Guppydriver
04-14-2022, 04:18 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you @sandm

The incentivization of crime is bewildering to me. I work in Norcal, and the legislative inability for the police to enforce laws and punish criminals is civil destruction.

Rilez
04-14-2022, 04:33 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you @sandm

The incentivization of crime is bewildering to me. I work in Norcal, and the legislative inability for the police to enforce laws and punish criminals is civil destruction.

I think it's important to keep in mind that it's not the police officers themselves that are just being lazy. They're doing the best they can. They're overworked, underpaid, the citizens they serve have it out for them these days, & there just aren't enough of them to be able to deal with everything. In the grand scheme of things, it's much more important for them to deal with the domestic abuse & runaway child than it is to try and track down the needle in a haystack that is a missing catalytic converter. I know it's frustrating, I'd be frustrated too, but it's important to keep in perspective. It's sad how our world has come to a place where there is no respect for the people each other anymore.

Tommy2slow
04-15-2022, 12:42 AM
Rural is the place to be!! When I retire I will move even more rural. I hate thieves as well OP! You just gave me another reason to like my Chevy Bolt (no cat). Too bad it can't tow the MOJO>

Rural rocks! Half the doors on my house don’t even have locks! I’ve had only a jerrycan of gas stolen since moving out here 11 years ago. Can’t count how many times I’ve forgotten the keys in the boats overnight and the quad key never leaves the ignition.

HFarr
04-15-2022, 02:43 PM
Friend of mine in Atlanta just told me his son's catalytic converter was stolen off his 2015 Tacoma in the Lakeside Highschool parking Lott yesterday during school.

MLA
04-16-2022, 08:10 PM
said it's one of his main businesses now

Did you ask how much to just buy back yours?

Seriously, though, the company in the suite next to mine, had their cats stolen one weekend from two of their work vans last year.

larry_arizona
04-16-2022, 09:42 PM
Scrap yards are completely culpable on the crime. Just as guilty as the thief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
04-17-2022, 12:11 PM
Scrap yards will buy the over or under the counter. Too much easy $. It sucks.

Mxmark4
04-18-2022, 07:13 AM
Speaking of thieves, my grandfathers house where I kept my boats got broken into Saturday night. Broke the realtor lock box off the porch railing They took a ton of snap on tools, the garage door opener remote,went through the whole house tried to steal a motorcycle, they spent time working on it trying to get it to start. Had the side covers off replacing fuses and such. But the thing that got me is they took both of my buffers and about 130 dollars worth of 3m cutting compounds and wax. Had all my cleaning supplies in a milk crate, they cherrypicked the good stuff from my cleaning crate and left a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a bottle of diluted vinegar. Installed my trail cam and a driveway alarm connected to my home setup in hopes of catching them. Im glad that I sold the bu and that the mondo is tucked into a friends garage. The driveway alarm went off about 130 last night so I went charging over there hopin to catch someone. My dad was stopping in to check on the place, Wife had panicked and called the police, so I had to go back about 10 minutes later and explain the situation to them. Hopin I can id a vehicle and catch them if they return.

996scott
04-18-2022, 10:02 AM
Oh man, that sucks. so sorry to hear that.

HFarr
04-18-2022, 11:21 AM
If you go and happen to confront them (the thieves that is), make sure you are "prepared", if you know what I mean.

Mxmark4
04-18-2022, 12:15 PM
Indeed I was. My plan is not to confront, but to try and get a plate number /vehicle description that can be used.

HFarr
04-18-2022, 04:42 PM
Indeed I was. My plan is not to confront, but to try and get a plate number /vehicle description that can be used.Just reading your comments over the past year, would make me think you probably would be prepared. Plus you do live in Tennessee! LOL!

Mxmark4
04-18-2022, 04:56 PM
Absolutely. Unfortunately a big part of my job is dealing with the same folks who steal from others to feed their habits which in turn cause me to have to help treat them. And around here with grandmas oldfashioned home cooked meth, heroin and fentanyl, theres plenty of folks just lookin for opportunities like an empty house with a for sale sign. Just remember to keep your nice stuff put away, keep everything locked down and put a camera on it if you wanna keep it.

HFarr
04-18-2022, 09:32 PM
Good advice!

MJHSupra
04-18-2022, 09:54 PM
Speaking of thieves, my grandfathers house where I kept my boats got broken into Saturday night. Broke the realtor lock box off the porch railing They took a ton of snap on tools, the garage door opener remote,went through the whole house tried to steal a motorcycle, they spent time working on it trying to get it to start. Had the side covers off replacing fuses and such. But the thing that got me is they took both of my buffers and about 130 dollars worth of 3m cutting compounds and wax. Had all my cleaning supplies in a milk crate, they cherrypicked the good stuff from my cleaning crate and left a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a bottle of diluted vinegar. Installed my trail cam and a driveway alarm connected to my home setup in hopes of catching them. Im glad that I sold the bu and that the mondo is tucked into a friends garage. The driveway alarm went off about 130 last night so I went charging over there hopin to catch someone. My dad was stopping in to check on the place, Wife had panicked and called the police, so I had to go back about 10 minutes later and explain the situation to them. Hopin I can id a vehicle and catch them if they return.

That sucks for your grandfather and everyone else. What location in Ktown?

Mxmark4
04-22-2022, 10:49 PM
Farragut. Today they caught the guys who robbed us a couple of counties over from us. Hoping we are able to recover our stuff. They had taken a title to a motorcycle they had taken from us, and police were able to contact us from that. Hope they nail them to the wall.

larry_arizona
04-23-2022, 08:30 AM
Hope you get your stuff back, highly doubt the thieves will get any significant penalty.

HFarr
04-23-2022, 10:21 PM
Awesome. They need to put the screws to them!! But probably won't.

Mxmark4
04-24-2022, 10:12 AM
Hope you get your stuff back, highly doubt the thieves will get any significant penalty.

I also doubt it but my dad is hellbent on pressing charges for everything he can. Hoping since the value of items taken was so high (over 10k at last count) we can get a charge that will put them away for awhile. Waiting on police to see when we can try to claim our property from them.

larry_arizona
04-24-2022, 10:20 AM
I also doubt it but my dad is hellbent on pressing charges for everything he can. Hoping since the value of items taken was so high (over 10k at last count) we can get a charge that will put them away for awhile. Waiting on police to see when we can try to claim our property from them.

Props for pressing charges, and I am confident the police will do all they can, it’s a matter if the DA will do anything.

Hopefully your county DA/AG is strong on crime and enforcing laws.

mmandley
04-24-2022, 08:30 PM
You wont have much luck finding who is stealing the Cats or buying them, they cut them down because what they want is the insides, the metal, and if the thief cuts the shell off then the buyer has less risk as well.

its just a bad deal all around.

At this point I would get the new exhaust installed, but put quick release style clamps on the cat, remove it and install it only when your emissions is due LOL