PDA

View Full Version : 325 FI Hesitates when taking off under load

cptmoomba
05-07-2007, 08:59 PM
My 2007 Outback DD runs great and takes off like a bullet with no skier or boarder in tow. About 80% of the time when I am pulling someone, when I increase speed at take off, the RPMs get to 3000 and the engine hesitates back down to 2000 RPMs for about 1-second, then takes off the rest of the way normally. Most wakeboarders survive this hesitation, no slalom skiers that I ski with can survive it.

I brought up the issue at my 20 hours service. The dealers I bought it from are awesome guys and they even allowed me to witness the service as well as them putting the diagnostic probes to the laptop and I received a printout of all the diagnostics checking out correctly.

Since this engine is not carbeurated, I am guessing that there is something up with the standard cruise control or the throtle by wire system (either way with the throttle system). Any suggestions or anyone that has experienced this and can help me to explain it better to the dealer would be greatly appreciated.

Engine Nut
05-07-2007, 11:00 PM
My 2007 Outback DD runs great and takes off like a bullet with no skier or boarder in tow. About 80% of the time when I am pulling someone, when I increase speed at take off, the RPMs get to 3000 and the engine hesitates back down to 2000 RPMs for about 1-second, then takes off the rest of the way normally. Most wakeboarders survive this hesitation, no slalom skiers that I ski with can survive it.

I brought up the issue at my 20 hours service. The dealers I bought it from are awesome guys and they even allowed me to witness the service as well as them putting the diagnostic probes to the laptop and I received a printout of all the diagnostics checking out correctly.

Since this engine is not carbeurated, I am guessing that there is something up with the standard cruise control or the throtle by wire system (either way with the throttle system). Any suggestions or anyone that has experienced this and can help me to explain it better to the dealer would be greatly appreciated.

Have the dealer check the fuel pressure and see if it drops off on acceleration. The nominal pressure is 60 PSI and shouldn't fall much below that on acceleration.

Engine Nut

JoeTechie
05-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Does it happen with the cruise turned off ?

-J

Buttafewcoe
05-09-2007, 05:13 AM
There might be some play in the cable.
B

cptmoomba
05-09-2007, 10:48 PM
It does it with the cruise off.

The dealer is going to come out with his diagnostics stuff. Hopefully it is warm that day, cause the only way I can reproduce the hesistation is to tow a skier.

Thanks for all your input. Once they figure it out, I'll post the cause/result.

cptmoomba
05-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Again, thanks for your input. Engine nut was right on. With no load (in tow) the pressure stayed at 60 psi. With my little fiance in the water in maintained 60 psi. With my XL neighbor, it dipped to 30 psi around 3000 rpms.

Took the fuel filter off and the dealer found some glue in it. Eventhough I don't understande the whole load, fuel, and ratio things, once we changed it out. We were unable to reproduce the hesitation.

And I did not expect to see a 1/2 inch filter on that boat, but in case anyone else thinks they can get by with less, the answer in no you can't.

JoeTechie
05-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Engine nut was right on

We all assumed this, but all hoped that maybe just this once. ;)

Glad to hear the problem is solved.

-Joe