PDA

View Full Version : I got a foil board!

Mxmark4
04-04-2022, 03:16 PM
Been looking hard at foil boards last couple few weeks. Wakemakers has a sale on the slingshot complete packages right now. Grabbed a surf setup( bigger front wing, longer mast) in hopes I can learn to dock start with it. Cant wait to try it out. Should be here tomorrow, any tips for a first timer?

Holdmybeer
04-04-2022, 03:26 PM
Watch when you fall. Protect your face. More stuff to hit and you either will lean too far back, easy fall. Or catch the nose, hurt fall.

And have fun....buddy of mine has 1 and his son can just cruise around at 10 mph.

Mxmark4
04-04-2022, 03:56 PM
I have gotten soft in my old age(36) and started wearing a helmet last year for wakeboarding. Has improved my confidence, and I have heard and seen some of the horror stories of foiling gone wrong. My plan is to bail cleanly instead of trying to save it as I have heard its best to just let it go. Gonna drag out my wet suit and give it a try thursday if the rain isnt too bad.

bergermaister
04-04-2022, 05:40 PM
Prepare for the ejection seat dismounts. Great photo opps.

And good advice to bail - don’t try to save it. We basically came to the conclusion that there’s a huge blade waiting to kill/mame you the minute you hit the water.

First your first flight keep some weight on the nose. Then gradually get some air under you vs just going for it.

MJHSupra
04-04-2022, 11:32 PM
If you can find a group that knows how to ride, I highly advise.

Have the boat driver go real slow on the startup.

In the water, you need foot placement to get weight up front to keep the nose down or you end up on a bucking bronco.

I thought about buying one at the end of last summer, but passed. It's fun and a new challenge, but was not that into it . . . and that foil is sharp. So said my shin.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

996scott
04-05-2022, 09:57 AM
they are fun and crazy. I'd suggest watching a lot of youtube videos, they can be very helpful. Have fun!

Mxmark4
04-05-2022, 05:32 PM
Youtube has been my guide in all of this, would have purchased an axis foil that wakethief is so high on if I could have found a board for a deal. Its a pricey gamble to see if I like this. So I decided at least with the slingshot setup I can swap wings to make it easier to see if I can find a wing that I can dock start and pump with.

benny32
04-07-2022, 11:08 PM
If you can find a group that knows how to ride, I highly advise.

Have the boat driver go real slow on the startup.

In the water, you need foot placement to get weight up front to keep the nose down or you end up on a bucking bronco.

I thought about buying one at the end of last summer, but passed. It's fun and a new challenge, but was not that into it . . . and that foil is sharp. So said my shin.

I can't stress enough about the slow speed, I'm talking 7-9 mph. The person towing knowing what they are doing will absolutely make or break this. I'll also echo the advice to bail if you feel it getting away from you. I've had a couple close calls with wing and it will mess you up if you don't protect yourself.

Mxmark4
04-08-2022, 07:58 AM
Anybody local wanna come out and play when it gets here? Havent got my mondo out yet but took my malibu out yesterday for a buyer to water test. Would love to get someone who can drive a boat better than my wife the first time out.

bergermaister
04-08-2022, 02:06 PM
When you see that little puff of white water under the board, something bad is about to happen...

https://i.imgur.com/f4DCJCs.jpg

When the wing comes completely out, you don't wanna be there!

https://i.imgur.com/g44Itqc.jpg

KnoxMojo
04-14-2022, 07:52 PM
Anybody local wanna come out and play when it gets here? Havent got my mondo out yet but took my malibu out yesterday for a buyer to water test. Would love to get someone who can drive a boat better than my wife the first time out.

Dude, you know I am always around, just hit me up

Holdmybeer
04-14-2022, 08:02 PM
So when are we all going to Norris for this foil party?

I don't have a tripped planned since I'm waiting on my new tow vehicle but my arm doesn't twist that far. Ohio is only 5.5 hrs away.

KnoxMojo
04-14-2022, 08:08 PM
So when are we all going to Norris for this foil party?

I don't have a tripped planned since I'm waiting on my new tow vehicle but my arm doesn't twist that far. Ohio is only 5.5 hrs away.

Gotta drive on down to west Knoxville, that is where many of us live.

Mxmark4
04-15-2022, 08:00 AM
So I sold my malibu last night, and when they said they wanted to water test I wanted to grab the foil and bring it out and give it a rip. But these guys drove almost 4 hours and it was 7 before we got the boat in the water so asking them to pull me around didnt seem fair. But its a good feeling to be down to one boat!

MJHSupra
04-16-2022, 02:24 PM
So I sold my malibu last night, and when they said they wanted to water test I wanted to grab the foil and bring it out and give it a rip. But these guys drove almost 4 hours and it was 7 before we got the boat in the water so asking them to pull me around didnt seem fair. But its a good feeling to be down to one boat!

Good for you.

MJHSupra
04-16-2022, 02:26 PM
Gotta drive on down to west Knoxville, that is where many of us live.

And the lake is coming up. Despite a few logs here and there . . . .

larry_arizona
04-16-2022, 04:58 PM
I will never forget the Norris logs lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holdmybeer
04-17-2022, 07:48 AM
Kent, did you take on any damage or just having to dodge them every morning run.

Went to cinch river side last year and logs are worse but the water is better and less crowded.

larry_arizona
04-17-2022, 07:58 AM
No hits or damage, just had to thoroughly scout out an area for logs prior to any surf/wake sets. Head on a swivel.

We were on the clinch side and loved it.

Some days were better than others.

MJHSupra
04-17-2022, 12:06 PM
At Norris, that first big storm and rise in the water level will have the water brown and full of logs. Usually takes a few weeks to clear out. I'm always in awe of how much junk it picks-up from the shore.

Mxmark4
04-27-2022, 06:54 PM
First ride on the foil this past weekend. It comes out of the water so fast! Need to try it on a long line not the surf rope I was using. I did manage to ride outside of the wake for a bit and got it to start creeping up but I turned my head for 2 seconds and it was out of the water in an instant. Looking forward to trying to master it this summer

bergermaister
04-27-2022, 07:35 PM
Good plan. I got a rope with a quick release handle and cut it down to two different lengths. So now I have a 25, 40, and then full wakeboard length. Depending on what you are feeling on the foil you can adjust.

First time I tried right behind the boat on a Surfwave I came flying forward and almost slammed the back of the boat. But it’s so high up I would have landed in the boat!

Mxmark4
05-09-2022, 10:47 PM
Spent a lot of time on the foil this morning. Water was glassy and had an absolute blast on it. Once the foil is flying its dead quiet back there and its the coolest thing. Getting going with it was a bit of a challenge as I am teaching my wife to drive from the water but she did great. Still surprised by how little of a change makes on the way it rides. That thing can shoot out from under you so quickly.

vdubnick
05-10-2022, 10:33 AM
is getting up on the foil similar to surfing? (stand and go?)

Mxmark4
05-10-2022, 11:26 AM
is getting up on the foil similar to surfing? (stand and go?)

Pretty similar except you have to keep a lot more weight on the front foot to keep foil down as you come out of the water. It will also shoot off to one side or the other as you start if you arent well positioned on the board. Have to keep body centered seems to be the best approach for me so far. Its definitely different but at the same time I am really enjoying the challenge.

bergermaister
05-11-2022, 02:25 PM
Pics? Or even better videos. :cool:

Mxmark4
05-11-2022, 04:49 PM
Just got back home from the water after another day of trying to foil and today was not a great day of foiling. Had a lot of trouble getting up, once or twice the foil took off on me like a wakeboard when you are cutting an edge and got really fast and sketchy. Hopin to have my buddy send me some pics this evening. No one else attempted it today. I guess the next step is finding a good place to store it cause leaving it in the floor of the boat aint gonna cut it.

Holdmybeer
05-11-2022, 06:35 PM
Your bad day of foiling still beats any "great" day at the office.....at least you were floating!

bergermaister
05-11-2022, 08:13 PM
I guess the next step is finding a good place to store it cause leaving it in the floor of the boat aint gonna cut it.

I'd highly recommend a rack just for the foil. That took me one weekend to figure out I'm not going to take it apart every time or leave it sitting. I use a surfboard specific single rack up high so the wing will clear the bimini. I've seen them on to top of towers but that won't work for me. I'm also convinced they would tear the shit out of a board pocket tipping over without any additional support or a rack.

When we're not surfing or foiling sometimes I will add a bungie to keep it from wanting to take flight out of the rack plus it helps with bouncing. Not sure it's totally necessary, just insurance.

Funny there's a pair of gloves in that pic. I think my son was using them after he decided to move the wrong piece of wood on the fire the night before...

https://i.imgur.com/wpLmx18.jpg

MJHSupra
05-12-2022, 07:25 PM
We were out on Melton Hill Lake the last few Wednesdays.

Been on three foil outings. I’m still trying to ride on the long line. Still trying to keep balance once I get up. It’s ugly.

Didn’t think it would be this hard. Lots of variables. I was wrong.

My buddy started last fall. He is now riding rope-less and leading to carve in the wave.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220512/dc7fdf3dbde3c7f49bdf581a38cecdea.jpg

MJHSupra
05-12-2022, 07:30 PM
The MAX wave . . .

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220512/815c644909df98206ad72c5bf5bcbfae.jpg

MJHSupra
05-12-2022, 07:33 PM
And another . . .

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220512/fe331e0122fb47b95411e8258ded6b49.jpg

HFarr
05-12-2022, 08:54 PM
The MAX wave . . .

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkFunny. It looks like a hoverboard in that picture!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Mxmark4
05-12-2022, 09:18 PM
Man im jealous! I looked at a max earlier this year but wife wasnt interested in upgrading. I have gotten my surf wave much better dialed in and I cant wait to get off the long line and into my wave.
We need to get together one evening, maybe your buddy can teach us both something good on the foils.

KnoxMojo
05-12-2022, 09:27 PM
The MAX wave . . .

C'mon MJH, That's a Craz, lol.... He has gotten really good in a short amount of time, his balance is amazing!

Mxmark4
05-12-2022, 09:45 PM
C'mon MJH, That's a Craz, lol.... He has gotten really good in a short amount of time, his balance is amazing!

How was wakeboarding last night? Did I miss anything?

KnoxMojo
05-12-2022, 09:50 PM

Was fun, first time the wife and little girl out for the year with me. Was out after 7:30, had the big cove to ourselves pretty much. Huge thanks to MJH for the help and pull.....you missed me not landing an invert for the first time in a while, lol.

MJHSupra
05-13-2022, 02:10 PM

Oops . . . . . dang, I knew that and like driving that boat.

MJHSupra
05-13-2022, 02:14 PM

Scott puts on a show every time he is out there on those inverts.

Mxmark4
05-13-2022, 05:30 PM
Well maybe Scott can show me how to sack up and get upside down this year!

larry_arizona
05-13-2022, 07:05 PM
Well maybe Scott can show me how to sack up and get upside down this year!

Scott makes it look easy.

Mxmark4
05-15-2022, 10:05 AM
Rough day foiling yesterday ending in a chopped up wakeboard tow rope. Trying to dodge a piece of debis while turning around somehow the rope got into the prop. At first I thought it had just tangled on the rudder as most all of it came out. Then I decided to dive down and just check the prop. And there was a large chunk tangled in the prop. Had a buddy who was out on his new bass boat come to the rescue with bubba shears( which were amazing ) and I was able to dive under the boat and cut the rest of it out. That cut our time short, on the way back to the dock I ended up hitting a submerged branch. Im over the lake being so full of debris.

2in2out
06-06-2022, 06:44 AM
I tried my foil for the first time the other day and was not able to get up. I was already gassed from a long surf run. Each successive try just got worse and worse, and the 50m swims I had to do each time to recover the board didn’t help.

2022 SA 450

Mxmark4
06-06-2022, 08:45 AM
I tried my foil for the first time the other day and was not able to get up. I was already gassed from a long surf run. Each successive try just got worse and worse, and the 50m swims I had to do each time to recover the board didn’t help.

2022 SA 450

I know that feeling all too well. I am going out Wednesday and looking forward to trying the foil again. Havent really been out in the last few weeks and got discouraged after tearing up the rope with the prop.

Mxmark4
06-28-2022, 10:36 AM
Got the foil out once again and more frustrated than ever. Just cant seem to get it down. I swear everytime I go out I get worse. My next thing to try is to swap to shorter mast. Hoping that will help some.

bergermaister
06-28-2022, 10:55 AM
I'd suggest just slowing down your boat speed to say 6-7mph. That will also slow down the amount and speed of the foil flinging you out of the water.

Also make sure the mast is as far back on the board as it will go. That will give you more control of weight on the front foot to minimize ejections and help with adjusting your weight side to side to stay over the board.

I'm guessing you already are, but only hold the rope with one hand - keeps your body in line with the board for better balance.

MJHSupra
06-28-2022, 10:58 AM
Got the foil out once again and more frustrated than ever. Just cant seem to get it down. I swear everytime I go out I get worse. My next thing to try is to swap to shorter mast. Hoping that will help some.

I know the feeling.

I will shoot you a text. I've been out a few times with some Ktown guys that have helped me. You can try some different equipment too if you want to go riding - boards or foils.

I was just discussing that topic with someone. He told me his best attempts where the 1st tries for that day, then things go down hill.
For me, part was head-games and getting into bad-habits or just get too tired from all the pulls and wipeouts.

I bought some higher-tech equipment and it was TOO spicy for me to start on. Bucking Bronco on Steroids. I went back to some beginner equipment and back out to the long (wakeboard) line, then started to transition into a surf rope with an extension.

Need that good driver too . . . .

Still not riding w/o the rope, but this is the hardest board sport I have tried. I know it will take time this summer.

2in2out
06-28-2022, 11:10 AM
What advice would you give drivers?

We have set up rope length for 2nd wake and speed between 6-8, with slow and steady starts. I haven’t created an autowake profile for the foil. Does anyone have settings for such?

I give it 4 attempts before I’m usually too gassed to go again after long swims for the foil.

Does anyone use foot straps when beginnin? Every video I’ve watched says it’s best not to use those.

2022 SA 450

MJHSupra
06-28-2022, 11:17 AM

We have set up rope length for 2nd wake and speed between 6-8, with slow and steady starts. I haven’t created an autowake profile for the foil. Does anyone have settings for such?

I give it 4 attempts before I’m usually too gassed to go again after long swims for the foil.

Does anyone use foot straps when beginnin? Every video I’ve watched says it’s best not to use those.

2022 SA 450

No foot straps for me and different peeps have told me not to use them learning.

Speed sounds right. That is what @BERGERMAISTER mentions too. I have my profile set to 10.5, but the driver tries to keep it lower, unless I start to slow down too much, where the foils lowers, then the driver can give it a little more speed to try to pick me back up or move further out. Slow throttle.

I'm running w/o ballast - only people and the lead in my boat.

Mxmark4
06-28-2022, 02:56 PM
I run without ballast, at 10 mph. Gonna slow it down some and see how that does. I just cant keep the board from climbing out of the water. Which sucks cause my first two days of foiling I was riding pretty good. Learning to gently cut to get outside the wake has gotten much more difficult also. 🙃 Hopefully @MJHSupra can get me squared away and make it more enjoyable. I think the best part is the laughs the boat gets when I launch that foil 5 feet out the water.

Mxmark4
07-04-2022, 10:48 PM
Holy 4th of July Foiling! Took the kids out todayn didnt touch the surf boards. I spent the whole day foiling with my new 18 in mast and we slowed the boat down to 8.5 and it made a huge difference! Was able to ride way more flew the foil quite a bit and started working on carving inside the wakes. I noticed I could not really get the foil to ride the second wake but I tried. I had a lot of fun on it even when it was buckin like crazy. I rode out of several would be crashes by cutting the foil hard to one side. Felt like I finally made some progress on it.

Mxmark4
07-16-2022, 04:17 AM
So went out today and it was awesome! Riding up on the foil, feelin better on the foil and getting out to the second wave and started to feel a bit of push! And then I was able to pump it someand get a bit of slack in the rope. Things have definitely turned around in my foil game. Might break out the taller mast and give it a shot again on Monday. Found that moving my rear foot forward helped with flying on startup, and let me lean back more for a more surf style stance when riding. All in all a good day on the water.

Mxmark4
08-15-2022, 03:43 PM
Went out with @knoxmojo and company today in a beautiful 21 sl. Tried a new foil out today and got going pretty quick on it. Guy tells me to just toss the rope thats its just a crutch so I did and could not believe I was riding ropeless. Its a cool feeling long lining on the foil but this was next level. Of all the things I have done in watersports I would put this as my biggest achievement yet. I have never been more excited behind the boat than today. Awesome crew,short ride but my best yet! Cant wait to do it again.

JHCMondo
08-25-2022, 09:28 AM
No to straps. I demoed a bunch of Armstrong foils on a short board with straps. One guy fell locked in and the foil came whipping back towards his head. It was pretty close to some blood and a concussion.

As for driving tell your driver they are pulling up their favorite 9 year old kid that has never towed before. 9mph is a good speed to start off at.

2022 SA 450

JHCMondo
08-25-2022, 09:35 AM
For second wave your back foot should be right over the forward half of the mast. Front foot should just be shoulder width if not a little narrower.

I suggest you get a better foil setup since you've gotten over the beginners hump. Better gear will mean faster progression.

Armstrong HS1550 V1, 60cm fuse, 72cm mast and the 232 tail is pretty awesome. I plan to get the 1550 v2 as it is higher aspect and faster. Also planning on getting a hs1850 for wing foiling and pumping.

If you're into flat water pumping I hear the Axis png1050 is killer. It's high aspect so great glide and pump but turning isn't great. A mid aspect like the hs1550 v2 has better glide and pump but can still turn.

Btw great boat and excellent color combo. You have great tastes.

I've got the same boat!

JHCMondo
08-25-2022, 11:06 AM
Isn't it great not to need a huge wave, fiddle with ballast bags, lead etc

I just fill ballast 30% and for foiling that is plenty big even with only 1 person on the boat!

Mxmark4
08-25-2022, 03:19 PM
Spent the weekend split between my slingshot foil and a hyperlite foil. Rode both foils ropeless but just could not seem to figure out the hyperlite. I am pretty excited. No ballast other than lead, one person in boatand surf tab rifgt and I feel a ton of push, still workin thru the lift the bubble line seems to create. But going ropeless is getting easier each time. Hoping to sell my setup this fall and get an axis and a smaller board. The one saving grace of the slingshot board is the high board volume has saved me more than once.

JHCMondo
08-25-2022, 04:08 PM
The one thing I've learned about foiling is it's all about foot placement.

Whether it's surfing first wave, second wave, different foils, pumping etc the single most important factor is where you place your feet. It's different for each of those things.

I can surf the second wave for over 15 minutes and recover from losing the wave. Just learning to pump back more reliably and in flat water.

The hs1550 v2 apparently pumps really well and still can carve a turn. Next year's buy!

My ultimate goal is to wing foil as well as flat pumping from a dock to steal waves from surf boats

Spent the weekend split between my slingshot foil and a hyperlite foil. Rode both foils ropeless but just could not seem to figure out the hyperlite. I am pretty excited. No ballast other than lead, one person in boatand surf tab rifgt and I feel a ton of push, still workin thru the lift the bubble line seems to create. But going ropeless is getting easier each time. Hoping to sell my setup this fall and get an axis and a smaller board. The one saving grace of the slingshot board is the high board volume has saved me more than once.

eder10986
08-25-2022, 11:34 PM
Been lurking this thread for some time as I’ve been wanting a foil board for a while and I am definitely getting one now!

My biggest deal is I’m lost with all the different brands, sizes of boards, masts, and wings.

Ideally I’d like a beginner/advanced beginner that both my wife and I could use/most guests in the boat.

I’m 5’9”, 185#
She’s 5’4” and 135-140#

What do y’all recommend I start looking at? Or where?

I can see about demos but I’m not sure there are many in my area, unfortunately (Raleigh/Durham)

Thanks!

JHCMondo
08-26-2022, 12:07 AM
Buy once cry once.

I recommend an Armstrong HS1550 V1, 60cm fuse, 72 cm mast and 232 tail. That is something you can grow into.

If you want more stable then Armstrong cf1600, 70cm fuse, 72cm mast,cf300 tail. This should be pretty stable and when you get better you can change out the fuse and tail. The cf1600 is rock solid stable and carves pretty well so it's extremely fun. The entire bost loved it. One of the guys was trying to jump it off the wave

I suppose you could go to a cf1200 then both you and your wife would be in the weight range. Only problem.wirh that is she'd be on the low end so great for her and you'd be on the high end so probably have trouble on 2nd wave. Never ridden the cf1200 so can't comment on it.

You could buy the 1600 for you and the 1200 for the wife. It's 3 screws and 5 minutes to change out.

I own the hs1550 v1 and have demoed the cf1600.

For the board it doesn't matter as much. But some thing 4' 6" would be good and make things a bit easier. Higher volume makes it easier as well.

I would avoid Liquid Force and slingshot.

I also know Axis is a good brand that a friend rides. I've never ridden them myself so can't comment.

Been lurking this thread for some time as I’ve been wanting a foil board for a while and I am definitely getting one now!

My biggest deal is I’m lost with all the different brands, sizes of boards, masts, and wings.

Ideally I’d like a beginner/advanced beginner that both my wife and I could use/most guests in the boat.

I’m 5’9”, 185#
She’s 5’4” and 135-140#

What do y’all recommend I start looking at? Or where?

I can see about demos but I’m not sure there are many in my area, unfortunately (Raleigh/Durham)

Thanks!

Mxmark4
08-26-2022, 07:13 AM
For second wave your back foot should be right over the forward half of the mast. Front foot should just be shoulder width if not a little narrower.

I suggest you get a better foil setup since you've gotten over the beginners hump. Better gear will mean faster progression.

Btw great boat and excellent color combo. You have great tastes.

I've got the same boat!
Wish I could say I picked the colors but we bought it used. Told my wife I would do same colors but gray bottom if I did a new boat. I love the Brittany blue!

eder10986
08-26-2022, 10:32 AM
Buy once cry once.

I recommend an Armstrong HS1550 V1, 60cm fuse, 72 cm mast and 232 tail. That is something you can grow into.

If you want more stable then Armstrong cf1600, 70cm fuse, 72cm mast,cf300 tail. This should be pretty stable and when you get better you can change out the fuse and tail. The cf1600 is rock solid stable and carves pretty well so it's extremely fun. The entire bost loved it. One of the guys was trying to jump it off the wave

I suppose you could go to a cf1200 then both you and your wife would be in the weight range. Only problem.wirh that is she'd be on the low end so great for her and you'd be on the high end so probably have trouble on 2nd wave. Never ridden the cf1200 so can't comment on it.

You could buy the 1600 for you and the 1200 for the wife. It's 3 screws and 5 minutes to change out.

I own the hs1550 v1 and have demoed the cf1600.

For the board it doesn't matter as much. But some thing 4' 6" would be good and make things a bit easier. Higher volume makes it easier as well.

I would avoid Liquid Force and slingshot.

I also know Axis is a good brand that a friend rides. I've never ridden them myself so can't comment.

Buy once Cry once is what I’d like to do!

I REALLY appreciate this and I’ll look into your recommendations.

I like the idea of 1600 and 1200 and a quick 5 minute change!!

Any other recommendations welcome. Thanks again!

JHCMondo
08-26-2022, 11:00 AM
You'd probably have a lot of fun on the 1200 in the first wave. But if you wanted to ride the 2nd wave it's probably on the small side for your weight.

Anyway basically the shorter the fuse the more agile and better turning it becomes. Aka squirrelly and twitchy for a beginner. The smaller the tail has the same effect.

For Armstrong the number for the front and back wings represents square centimeters of surface area. So hs1550 is 1550 square cm.

The more surface area on the front wing the more lift it will have generally speaking. For the back wing the more surface area the more stable it is generally speaking.

Stay away from short, small low volume boards as a beginner. A bigger higher volume board will make things easier to start and save you during some touch downs and breaches.

I use a slingshot Wf1 wake surf board. It's 4'6", high volume. It's worked out pretty well for learning and has saved me many times during breaches and touch downs.

Buy once Cry once is what I’d like to do!

I REALLY appreciate this and I’ll look into your recommendations.

I like the idea of 1600 and 1200 and a quick 5 minute change!!

Any other recommendations welcome. Thanks again!

JHCMondo
08-26-2022, 11:19 AM
I personally like the build quality of Armstrong. Look at the mast. It's one solid piece. Other companies screw the mast into a bracket that then screws into the board. Also I like that they use different metals for the screws and nuts to avoid corrosion. I think it's titanium bolts and some other metal for the screws

eder10986
08-26-2022, 11:31 AM
You'd probably have a lot of fun on the 1200 in the first wave. But if you wanted to ride the 2nd wave it's probably on the small side for your weight.

Anyway basically the shorter the fuse the more agile and better turning it becomes. Aka squirrelly and twitchy for a beginner. The smaller the tail has the same effect.

For Armstrong the number for the front and back wings represents square centimeters of surface area. So hs1550 is 1550 square cm.

The more surface area on the front wing the more lift it will have generally speaking. For the back wing the more surface area the more stable it is generally speaking.

Stay away from short, small low volume boards as a beginner. A bigger higher volume board will make things easier to start and save you during some touch downs and breaches.

I use a slingshot Wf1 wake surf board. It's 4'6", high volume. It's worked out pretty well for learning and has saved me many times during breaches and touch downs.

Ahhh. Thanks for the explanation. All starting to make a bit more sense now!

MJHSupra
09-01-2022, 09:49 AM
Rode with @mxmark4 last night. Here are some pics.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220901/fe1ee8b2755091f94e3f4669d64a0d82.jpg

MJHSupra
09-01-2022, 09:49 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220901/85a4caae5e63d0d391112d66787de5e7.jpg

MJHSupra
09-01-2022, 09:50 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220901/b6c92cb08a67b3a3cc3d28e0ba496d68.jpg

MJHSupra
09-01-2022, 09:50 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220901/4bdfe4a8f03cd72238ece9d3c4f7eac4.jpg

MJHSupra
09-01-2022, 09:51 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220901/2458b2749e73270ae087cebd9ea32ce4.jpg

MJHSupra
09-01-2022, 09:52 AM
I will toss in a few surf pics

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220901/78800c9bc74a4ce7ef35845a2ec681e7.jpg

MJHSupra
09-01-2022, 09:53 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220901/cc82580f2c7a3a1404c9107f90706128.jpg

Mxmark4
09-01-2022, 11:21 AM
Great ride and a great wave behind that Supra! Got to ride 4 different foils yesterday. 2 different lift foils, my slingshot, and MJHSupra has an exo foil which is crazy. Super stable but turns slow. Generates lift as soon as it moves forward. Was a fun ride for sure, and easily the most stable feeling foil I have had under foot yet.

HFarr
09-01-2022, 11:22 AM
Wow! Those are some great photos. Especially the two out there! Nice looking waves too by the way.

MJHSupra
09-01-2022, 01:46 PM
Wow! Those are some great photos. Especially the two out there! Nice looking waves too by the way.

Thanks. Josh can ride. This is probably his ? third ? season on foil - I know 2 full ones b/c early on he could not find peeps to ride with him. Dude lives on a houseboat and when he gets bored he goes down to the end of his dock, tosses the e-foil into the water, then looks for big cruisers chugging along. Good life. Nice guy to hang out with.

Per the wave, the SL does its thing with a little weight. Every so often I get to ride with Robert Garcia from Wake9. He really is the 'buddha' of knowing how to tune a surf wave on these boats - Supra and Moomba. I always try to pick-up tips when he drives the boat. I probably bug the shit of him with all of my questions and theories.

KnoxMojo
09-01-2022, 10:31 PM
You guys are killing the foil game! Nice job y'all!!!!!

eder10986
09-02-2022, 12:57 PM
That is amazing!!!! I’m hoping to try it out this weekend!!

I’ll report back if I got the chance [emoji1696]

JHCMondo
09-03-2022, 04:24 PM
Early morning foiling!

JHCMondo
09-03-2022, 05:00 PM

Early morning foiling.

MJHSupra
09-03-2022, 11:33 PM
Cool pics. Looks so peaceful.

JHCMondo
09-16-2022, 08:53 AM
How did it go?

That is amazing!!!! I’m hoping to try it out this weekend!!

I’ll report back if I got the chance [emoji1696]

Mxmark4
09-16-2022, 08:17 PM
I moved the slingshot to B position on the mast after my recent ride with MJH Supra and tried it out for the first time this past Tuesday. Was quite a change! Foot position was way off for where it needed to be and I got bucked like crazy. Second ride went much better and was once again ropeless in no time. Handling is different, but in a good way. Seems to turn faster but still doesnt pump great. With my boat hitting the chopping block, hoping I can get at least one more ride in before shes gone otherwise Im gonna be begging rides to get my foil fix.

eder10986
09-17-2022, 08:58 AM
How did it go?

It went great! I was able to get going pretty well thanks to many of you and your advice, but the beginning was ugly!

Once I figured out the foot position and began feeling the foil underneath me my rides got better and longer.

I’ve only been able to ride rope-less and surf for a bit here and there but I’m hoping to get going before we end the season here!

It’s definitely amazing and like something I’ve never done before!! The feeling of floating is incredible - I’m 100% hooked!!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220917/bb3c3d467aee7965a90ea9740f2385f2.png

KnoxMojo
09-17-2022, 11:37 AM
I moved the slingshot to B position on the mast after my recent ride with MJH Supra and tried it out for the first time this past Tuesday. Was quite a change! Foot position was way off for where it needed to be and I got bucked like crazy. Second ride went much better and was once again ropeless in no time. Handling is different, but in a good way. Seems to turn faster but still doesnt pump great. With my boat hitting the chopping block, hoping I can get at least one more ride in before shes gone otherwise Im gonna be begging rides to get my foil fix.

You know I got you if your boat sells.

russellsmojo
09-17-2022, 12:36 PM
Early morning foiling!

Wow!! Was this after the barefoot, slalom, and wakeboard runs!!?? That water is awesome!

eder10986
09-28-2022, 08:03 AM
Alright so I’m terribly addicted to foiling! Been out as much as I can since Labor Day on the foil. Finally starting to get the hang of it and riding a bit without the rope.

I started doing some turns in and out of the wave as well! It’s addicting!

We got some footage yesterday

https://youtu.be/q2o6JW1Armo

Nonetheless…as others have mentioned, the wing is dangerous!

If you look closely at my fall, my left shoulder goes into the water first and thus, hits the foil. I felt an aggressive scratch and new exactly what had happened [emoji23]

WARNING - a bit graphic

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220928/7a00af1c957e02cfbd3c5ed4ad557bc9.jpg

Fortunately I keep a first aid kit on the boat, and this was meant to be my last ride of the day anyways!

My wife is a nurse practitioner so she “took care of the wound” when I got home… [emoji15]

Can’t wait to get back on the foil though! I’m thinking of rushing with a 1mm long sleeve neoprene rash guard moving forward though!

JHCMondo
09-28-2022, 08:28 AM
You're looking pretty good.

If you're vertical and the foil is doing a banked turn that is pretty much what will happen.

eder10986
09-28-2022, 09:16 AM
For sure! The foil slowed down on me and I tried to pump and well…that obviously didn’t work!

Mxmark4
09-28-2022, 10:00 PM
Ouch! I can see how it got you! Glad you are ok! I landed on the foil once and swore never again. Hurts when it gets you.

HFarr
09-28-2022, 11:18 PM
That's a really cool video. What lake are you on?

eder10986
09-29-2022, 07:30 AM
That's a really cool video. What lake are you on?

Hyco lake in NC. It’s a nice lake but very narrow. So when it gets busy it’s a complete dud.

eder10986
09-29-2022, 07:32 AM
Ouch! I can see how it got you! Glad you are ok! I landed on the foil once and swore never again. Hurts when it gets you.

Kicking the wing or hitting your shin while it’s underwater and you get ready to ride hurt 1,000,000x more times than this!

Either way, I’ve obviously confirmed it’s danger [emoji23]

I’m traveling for the next 10 days for work, unfortunately. But I can’t wait to get back on it. Sadly, it’ll likely be wetsuit season then.

Mxmark4
05-16-2023, 12:27 PM
On the foil front I have grabbed a couple new things to try and up my foil game. First up is the Slingshot Quantum 100 wing. Big wing made for pumping. Hoping to learn to dock start this year. The second is I got a killer deal on a Liquid Force Nebula 3'8" board. Having ridden one coupled with two different foils I fell in love with the board and Overtons has them on sale for half off right now. So if you ate in need of a second board or looking to downsize boards for pumping this is a great deal. https://www.overtons.com/liquid-force-nebula-foil-board-759873.html

eder10986
05-16-2023, 09:07 PM
Bro. How are you liking the shorter board? All my research tells me a shorter board is squirmier…but my new board is 1” shorter and a ton less volume and so much better!

Check out the video from today!

Btw - thanks Mark for getting me into foiling. I love surfing…but the feeling and sensation of floating just doesn’t compare to anything else.

https://youtu.be/wtHo6cYK0_E

HFarr
05-16-2023, 10:08 PM
That does look like fun! I didn't quite catch that sound, or word, at the very end when you slipped over the wave! LOL [emoji38]

Mxmark4
05-16-2023, 10:58 PM
Bro. How are you liking the shorter board? All my research tells me a shorter board is squirmier…but my new board is 1” shorter and a ton less volume and so much better!

Check out the video from today!

Btw - thanks Mark for getting me into foiling. I love surfing…but the feeling and sensation of floating just doesn’t compare to anything else.

https://youtu.be/wtHo6cYK0_E

Just ordered this morning. Buddy has same board and I love the way it rides. It's very low volume. Won't float ya like the big slingshot boards but so much fun to ride. My back is jacked up ATM so no riding for me until I get where I cN walk. Might have to come fix me!

MJHSupra
05-17-2023, 08:15 AM
On the foil front I have grabbed a couple new things to try and up my foil game. First up is the Slingshot Quantum 100 wing. Big wing made for pumping. Hoping to learn to dock start this year. The second is I got a killer deal on a Liquid Force Nebula 3'8" board. Having ridden one coupled with two different foils I fell in love with the board and Overtons has them on sale for half off right now. So if you ate in need of a second board or looking to downsize boards for pumping this is a great deal. https://www.overtons.com/liquid-force-nebula-foil-board-759873.html

So true! I was just telling Blaine about this deal over the weekend. His buddy was looking for a new board.

It’s a great deal for a good board.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230517/7a42450f6df0701916274fde7307606a.jpg

Mxmark4
05-17-2023, 09:43 AM
So true! I was just telling Blaine about this deal over the weekend. His buddy was looking for a new board.

It’s a great deal for a good board.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230517/7a42450f6df0701916274fde7307606a.jpg

Well, Blaine is the reason I got to ride this board so I guess it's his fault I am spending more money. I almost have enough to make 2 setups out of the sling shot. A few bolts a fuselage and a rear wing, and I could have a beginner and an advanced setup to take out.

eder10986
05-17-2023, 10:31 AM
Well, Blaine is the reason I got to ride this board so I guess it's his fault I am spending more money. I almost have enough to make 2 setups out of the sling shot. A few bolts a fuselage and a rear wing, and I could have a beginner and an advanced setup to take out.

Do it!!!!

That’s a dare!!!

And sorry about the back, brother. Hit me up anytime if you need anything [emoji1690]

eder10986
05-17-2023, 10:33 AM
That does look like fun! I didn't quite catch that sound, or word, at the very end when you slipped over the wave! LOL [emoji38]

Don’t try it unless you never want to go back to regular surfing!!

Foiling has definitely been the most challenging water sport for me to learn…and I have a long way to go. But it has also been so fulfilling to make progress and it’s insanely satisfying to fool out on the second wave!! Pure silence and chilling!!

Give it a shot if you know anyone local who has a setup. If you’re ever in the RDU area I’d be happy to take you out.

Goes for anyone here [emoji1690]

MJHSupra
05-18-2023, 12:41 AM

I got one too last fall , the 4-2 model. Bought a used one from one of Blaine’s friends that purchased a shorter higher end board.

Back then the new price (on sale) was 500 or 550 on EVO. I think I paid 450.

So that current Overton’s price is really a super sale.

I will end up keeping two setups too. A beginner setup for peeps to try and something more high-end.