PDA

View Full Version : Thruster: EZ Thruster vs. Liquid Propulsion

HFarr
04-01-2022, 03:23 PM
Does anyone have experience with both? Any preferences and reasons why? I am really thinking hard about putting thrusters on my Makai.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
04-01-2022, 03:37 PM
I have experience with LP, but it will cost you $5…..

Did LP release the aftermarket kit yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2in2out
04-01-2022, 06:21 PM
I have experience with LP, but it will cost you $5…..

Did LP release the aftermarket kit yet?

Do you get an inflationary increase for thruster inserts? Or is the yield flattening?

Making my new SA build come true!!!

larry_arizona
04-02-2022, 09:50 AM
$6 now

2in2out
04-02-2022, 10:35 AM
Nice! Im still waiting to try our thrusters. We took delivery last week, but a cold snap and high winds have scuttled our plans to get out and try them out.

Mxmark4
04-02-2022, 12:58 PM
Buddies SE has thruster. Its nice for low speed docking and such. I use it when pickin up surfers, helps stay in line with the downed rider. Its nice but its an option way out of my price range right now.

benny32
04-03-2022, 01:06 AM
I'd love to see an aftermarket version of the supra thrusters. I'm already pretty serious about the ez thruster setup. The control is probably the thing holding me back. Ez thruster say they are compatible with supra twist top throttle and I'm trying to find out if that throttle handle will just bolt onto makai or not.

HFarr
04-03-2022, 10:23 AM
I'd love to see an aftermarket version of the supra thrusters. I'm already pretty serious about the ez thruster setup. The control is probably the thing holding me back. Ez thruster say they are compatible with supra twist top throttle and I'm trying to find out if that throttle handle will just bolt onto makai or not.I would like to know the answer to that exact question too.

larry_arizona
04-03-2022, 10:42 AM
Very surprised the LP aftermarket kit isn’t ready yet.

Although very possible supply chain is causing delays.

benny32
05-31-2022, 02:43 PM
I was able to pin down my dealer and they say that the supra twist top throttle will fit the Makai, but the throttle by itself will run $1200. That's on top of the $600 install and the ez drive thruster purchase. I'm patiently waiting to see what the LP kit runs I guess and then make a decision.

HFarr
05-31-2022, 02:53 PM
I was able to pin down my dealer and they say that the supra twist top throttle will fit the Makai, but the throttle by itself will run $1200. That's on top of the $600 install and the ez drive thruster purchase. I'm patiently waiting to see what the LP kit runs I guess and then make a decision.That's just insane pricing!

larry_arizona
05-31-2022, 05:05 PM
Whoa

Holdmybeer
05-31-2022, 11:01 PM
Whoa

Time to up your marketing cost for those thruster post of the past. LMAO!

SONIC
06-01-2022, 08:27 AM
I was able to pin down my dealer and they say that the supra twist top throttle will fit the Makai, but the throttle by itself will run $1200. That's on top of the $600 install and the ez drive thruster purchase. I'm patiently waiting to see what the LP kit runs I guess and then make a decision.

Unfortunately that's not going to be any more expensive than the LP system, actually a good bit cheaper. I spoke with them a while back and was surprised by how high they planned to price the system, and that was before most of this covid supply chain bullshit.
I'd say 6800 for the EZ with the supra knob will be several thousand cheaper than the LP setup. It's also my understanding that the aftermarket one won't come with the supra throttle anyway so you're still going to have to do that.

HFarr
06-01-2022, 08:49 AM
Unfortunately that's not going to be any more expensive than the LP system, actually a good bit cheaper. I spoke with them a while back and was surprised by how high they planned to price the system, and that was before most of this covid supply chain bullshit.
I'd say 6800 for the EZ with the supra knob will be several thousand cheaper than the LP setup. It's also my understanding that the aftermarket one won't come with the supra throttle anyway so you're still going to have to do that.Dang! So you are talking LP system being around 9K or more? I can call a temp agency and hire a couple of guys to sit on the back corners of my boat with paddles every time I go out cheaper than that. Then I have additional ballast too LOL!

larry_arizona
06-01-2022, 08:55 AM
It’s a $9k+ factory option, I would expect aftermarket version to be at least that.

$9k is a tough pill to swallow for that option, if it wasn’t for a significant discount, I likely would have passed.

The other OEM thruster options are far more. I think Bu is $10k and Nautique $12.5k

SONIC
06-01-2022, 11:03 AM
Dang! So you are talking LP system being around 9K or more? I can call a temp agency and hire a couple of guys to sit on the back corners of my boat with paddles every time I go out cheaper than that. Then I have additional ballast too LOL!

I don't know what current pricing is, just the price I was given preproduction.

I highly doubt supra would allow them to price it below the factory option, as it would take away from their sales.

There's a lot of R&D and tech in those little motors (I heavily researched building them myself at one point) and they certainly aren't cheap. That being said I think they are taking advantage of the boat market (like everyone else in this market) if you can afford a 150k boat you can afford 10k thrusters, and when you're the only game in town.....

2in2out
06-01-2022, 11:13 AM
If you can swing it, it’s worth it. Espescially if you boat on a narrow, congested lake or river.

larry_arizona
06-01-2022, 12:02 PM
I still like them, but was using them yesterday and the wind kicked up a bit, the wind makes them slow to respond with a high freeboard boat, still better then not having them, but reverted back to driving the boat as if I didn’t have them.

Just a heads up, you can overheat them with continuous use, it takes awhile to cool them off.

SONIC
06-01-2022, 01:01 PM
I still like them, but was using them yesterday and the wind kicked up a bit, the wind makes them slow to respond with a high freeboard boat, still better then not having them, but reverted back to driving the boat as if I didn’t have them.

Just a heads up, you can overheat them with continuous use, it takes awhile to cool them off.

I'd love to drive both a LP thruster and an EZ thruster setup back to back.
My bet says the EZ is a good bit more powerful.

larry_arizona
06-01-2022, 01:19 PM
Possibly but the exhaust cavitation is an issue with the EZ.

Also all demo videos are on calm days.

HFarr
06-01-2022, 02:18 PM
Larry...when I get through shifting from forward to reverse 15 times and finally get docked, I am going to send you some cheese to go along with that Thruster wine! You lucky mother! LOL! Just kidding of course[emoji1]

larry_arizona
06-01-2022, 02:21 PM
Larry...when I get through shifting from forward to reverse 15 times and finally get docked, I am going to send you some cheese to go along with that Thruster wine! You lucky mother! LOL! Just kidding of course[emoji1]

1st world problems I know. When docking I really only use thrusters to get approach angle perfect and still reverse at the dock to pull stern towards dock.

SONIC
06-01-2022, 03:12 PM
Possibly but the exhaust cavitation is an issue with the EZ.

Also all demo videos are on calm days.

If only it were always no current and wind free lol.

I've come to just assume my boat is completely undriveable in reverse.
"always goes to the right" is not the case lol. Hard throttle maybe, but backing off the trailer or moving around the dock slowly mine goes where the wind goes, especially when the bimini is out. At least the thrusters can help with that. High freeboard and wind really suck sometimes.

larry_arizona
06-01-2022, 03:21 PM
Supra Bimini may as well be a jib sail, the freeboard is a main sail.

If you Angle the Bimini against the windshield, I bet you can hit 10 knots.

I keep forgetting how awesome reverse is with thruster control.

Bigswede
06-27-2022, 01:09 PM
Who was your dealer? I want to know as well! I have the ez drive thruster and wanted the Supra twist added to mine as well.