PDA

View Full Version : Factory Moomba Cover

JHutch
11-06-2021, 05:07 PM
Does anyone tow with the factory Moomba Cover?

brad460
11-06-2021, 07:24 PM
I do on longer trips (towed several times 500 mile round trip)...no problem. Wrap the upper area with shrink film. Ratchet nice and tight.

For me fuel economy is about 3-4 mpg better with cover.

haknslash
11-06-2021, 08:07 PM
Same here for longer trips. Making sure the cover is super tight and you should be fine.

996scott
11-07-2021, 12:33 PM
i do on long and short trips. No problems so far. Just make sure you have it nice and tight.

Swervy
11-08-2021, 10:02 AM
Do you keep the support pole in the bow as well or take that out?

Holdmybeer
11-08-2021, 10:53 AM
I do not tow with the poles. I just use the rope on the tower. Short trips to the lake are no issues.

The long trips I wrap the rub rail with 24" wide plastic wrap. 3 times around then pull the cover nice and tight, again no poles. The cover suctions to the boat at 55mph+. Even driving through hard rain the cover didn't pool in the bow. I get way better MPG towing also.

996scott
11-08-2021, 11:26 AM
i don't ever use the pole, just the ropes attached to the tower

HFarr
11-08-2021, 12:12 PM
I never use the poles either on my Makai. Water never ponds. Just snug up the two ropes nice and good. You may need to bundle up the excess rope and put some zip ties on them to keep them from flapping all around in the Wind.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

korey
11-08-2021, 01:01 PM
I only tow with the cover when I absolutely have to (raining on the highway). I tow about 100mi on backroads (55mph, not interstate) each way every weekend.

I added one of these amazon caps to the factory support and use it in the bow:
https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Cover-Support-Mushroom-Cap/dp/B07B617SH6/ref=sr_1_26?keywords=boat+cover+support&qid=1636390657&sr=8-26

it spreads the load out enough that I've never had a problem.

Towing with the cover I definitely end up seeing some light chaffing that shows up in the blue and graphite colored sections above the rub rail on the bow of my boat. These easily wax out - believe it's just in the wax, not even really in the gel.

I agree on other's comments on MPG. Definitely better with the cover.

haknslash
11-08-2021, 07:04 PM
I tow with the pole in the bow and the hang tyte ratcheted tightly in the cockpit. The pole helps prevent the cover from fishing in on itself once the wind hits it. You can also use a large beach ball to help with that. The pole clamp isn’t the strongest and will wear out in my experience, so a beach ball is better.

brad460
11-08-2021, 07:53 PM
I tow with the pole in the bow and the hang tyte ratcheted tightly in the cockpit. The pole helps prevent the cover from fishing in on itself once the wind hits it. You can also use a large beach ball to help with that. The pole clamp isn’t the strongest and will wear out in my experience, so a beach ball is better.

Same here- always tow with the pole (only pole is up front). I do lower it a bit from where I normally keep it. No issues at all towing hundreds of miles with the pole. I do put a towel on the floor up front as cushion.