PDA

View Full Version : Supra SL vs SA for wakeboarding

mgswake
10-20-2021, 03:18 PM
I know there is a wakeboarding subforum, but it doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic to I am posting here.

Does anyone have any experience wakeboarding behind these two boats? I know the PWT is pulled by the SA. My crew is 95% wakeboard and 5% ski. I am sure we will dabble more into surfing, but it really isn't our interest right now. I demo'd the S23 and thought that was my boat, but the dealer was not giving the discount that I was expecting from my previous dealer. I recently moved. Anyway the I have been looking at the SA for awhile and like all the features. As a Nautique fan I think it looks very similar to the G23. I have heard good reviews that some people like the wake better, but I would assume they are both more than enough for my talent level.

I do like the flip up seat/air dam on the SL and the arm bow rests. I also like the port flip up seat on the SL because it has a foot well for the observer seat. It doesn't appear to me that the SA has this feature. Can anyone confirm?

Anyone running the 400 for wakeboarding? I am leaning toward the 400 due to smaller crew size and don't foresee a fully or over ballasted boat. I am beginner but working on spins and inverts, so I consider myself advanced beginner. I do have a couple in my crew landing basic inverts. I don't see us adding any more weight above factory ballast. A quick google search puts me at 400' above sea level. We generally have only 5-6 people in the boat. Maybe once or twice a year we would have a full boat of 10-12 when we go on a family vacation and all our friends, cousins, and relatives are there.

Thanks everyone.

I am actually going to Augusta on Monday and Tuesday so I plan to stop into Southtown Watersports while I am down there.

larry_arizona
10-20-2021, 03:52 PM
Current Gen SA is an outstanding wakeboarding boat.

Monster clean wake and I only use 100% bow roughly 55%-60% rears with 600# of lead on board already and light crew. 400 with the 1.76 trans pulls it all day.

Super easy to dial in the wake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnoxMojo
10-20-2021, 04:48 PM
I regularly ride both a 2018 SA and a 2021 SL. Have also been on the newer SA, like with Larry and others. Both wakes are amazing. I feel the SL when weighted is a bit more of a longer ramp whereas the SA is more vert. Both have nice transitions and clean up easy. Now, as with any boat, you can't run full ballast and slow, but half ballast or so and 21.5 is still great! Running over 80%, you'll need to be around 22. The 400 with the new 1.7 gear drive ratio is more than plenty at your elevation. For surfing, most keep 500 pounds of lead on board to help on light crew days. Both the SL and SA we ride are set up about the same. Both great boats. Get the 1 that calls to you and fits your needs best. Both these boats are at my dock, we wakeboard and surf both interchangeably with no real significant performance difference other than what I described earlier. Enjoy and thanks for the wakeboard question!!

HFarr
10-20-2021, 04:48 PM
What lake are you surfing, or going to be surfing? You said you moved.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

mgswake
10-20-2021, 06:06 PM
What lake are you surfing, or going to be surfing? You said you moved.

We moved to Lexington SC. We are currently about 10-20 minutes from Lake Murray depending on which part we drive to. My wife just completed residency so we are hoping to move to the Lake in the next year or two (working on student loans first).

Larry and Knox, thanks for all the info. I am really looking forward to meeting with the dealer. Hopefully, it will be a better experience than the Nautique dealer (I did two demos and had checkbook in hand, but we couldn't even get close on numbers). The SA and SL I built both are MSRP less than wht the Nautique was after discount. So I am cautiously optimistic. I know given current market there are little discounts to be had and many dealers have sold all their build slots. WE will see what happens. Ill keep everyone updated.

larry_arizona
10-20-2021, 06:07 PM
We moved to Lexington SC. We are currently about 10-20 minutes from Lake Murray depending on which part we drive to. My wife just completed residency so we are hoping to move to the Lake in the next year or two (working on student loans first).

Larry and Knox, thanks for all the info. I am really looking forward to meeting with the dealer. Hopefully, it will be a better experience than the Nautique dealer (I did two demos and had checkbook in hand, but we couldn't even get close on numbers). The SA and SL I built both are MSRP less than wht the Nautique was after discount. So I am cautiously optimistic. I know given current market there are little discounts to be had and many dealers have sold all their build slots. WE will see what happens. Ill keep everyone updated.

If I were buying a 22, I would get the SL

mgswake
10-20-2021, 07:23 PM
The FX one power tower doesn't fold in half on the way down does it? Is that just a computer animation on the website. I've watched it about 15 times trying to figure out if they changed the tower. The youtube walkthroughs I watched the tower folds forward toward the windshield. By the way I love the cover over the tower option. I really dislike scrubbing bugs off the tower and speakers.

larry_arizona
10-20-2021, 07:42 PM
The FX one power tower doesn't fold in half on the way down does it? Is that just a computer animation on the website. I've watched it about 15 times trying to figure out if they changed the tower. The youtube walkthroughs I watched the tower folds forward toward the windshield. By the way I love the cover over the tower option. I really dislike scrubbing bugs off the tower and speakers.

The FX1 fold at the base and tucks behind windshield.

The over tower cover is glorious.

mgswake
10-21-2021, 09:07 AM
how is the bow rise? do you have to stand or use the bolster seat when wakeboarding? surfing?

larry_arizona
10-21-2021, 09:15 AM
how is the bow rise? do you have to stand or use the bolster seat when wakeboarding? surfing?

Wakeboarding the bow is low. I only use my bolster due to tinted windshield. I prefer to sit above the windshield anyways.

With 100% bow full and 60%rear, the boat is fairly flat at 21-22mph

SONIC
10-21-2021, 09:19 AM
I've got a buddy that wakeboards at the professional level and his opinion is G23 followed by SA for best wake out there.

At your level I doubt you would really even notice a difference in the wakes from SA to SL (not a dig!) and you'll learn and progress just fine behind either one.

My SA 400 at 1/2-3/4 ballast is magic IMO. Once you fill the ballast all the way up the wake is huge but the motor isn't thrilled to be pulling all that weigh along at 22mph. It will do it just fine it's just working near or at it's max.

larry_arizona
10-21-2021, 01:42 PM
I don’t see Nic Rapa landing any better tricks behind a G23 compared to an SA lol

mgswake
10-21-2021, 01:53 PM
Sonic is right, I won't notice much difference between the boats at my skill level. I bet the riders at the higher intermediate and professional level can tell you the differences, but I think it all comes down to preference at that point. Larry's comment is true, the best riders can throw most of their tricks behind ski boats. Too bad everyone has gone to brand specific forums/social. But, even when we had wakeworld most people were just pushing their favorite brand and not so much objectivity.

I did get in touch with the dealer in Augusta. They have a 22 SA in stock and I'm actually heading there for work on Tuesday so I'm going to go crawl around and check it out.

Holdmybeer
10-21-2021, 02:04 PM
Water should still be warm enough. See if you can demo it.

SONIC
10-21-2021, 04:32 PM
Sonic is right, I won't notice much difference between the boats at my skill level. I bet the riders at the higher intermediate and professional level can tell you the differences, but I think it all comes down to preference at that point. Larry's comment is true, the best riders can throw most of their tricks behind ski boats. Too bad everyone has gone to brand specific forums/social. But, even when we had wakeworld most people were just pushing their favorite brand and not so much objectivity.

I did get in touch with the dealer in Augusta. They have a 22 SA in stock and I'm actually heading there for work on Tuesday so I'm going to go crawl around and check it out.

Very few people have objectivity when they drop this kind of money on a toy. Consciously or subconsciously you feel the need to justify your decision which is why people are so fiercely loyal. People become so violently in favor of their brand it's just ridiculous.
I love my SA but there's a lot of other great boats out there too.

I agree, it's still warm enough to demo. Waters probably cold but Augusta is usually hotter than hell so it's possibly still warm there haha.

SONIC
10-21-2021, 04:35 PM
Also where are you? There's probably someone local to you that would be willing to take you out

mgswake
10-21-2021, 05:02 PM
Also where are you? There's probably someone local to you that would be willing to take you out

Lexington, SC. Lake Murray

KnoxMojo
10-21-2021, 05:12 PM
Very few people have objectivity when they drop this kind of money on a toy. Consciously or subconsciously you feel the need to justify your decision which is why people are so fiercely loyal. People become so violently in favor of their brand it's just ridiculous.
I love my SA but there's a lot of other great boats out there too.

I agree, people spend money on what they feel is best for them. I am fortunate enough to get to ride many different brands, they are all great, especially the premium lines. And yes, I think Supra is the best overall bang for the buck! I love riding our friends g23, g21, mxz, Mastercrafts and so on. But those other wakes aren't 40-50k better than a comparable Supra, and in some cases worse. Sometimes the boats with better wakes have less features on the boat as well. What I am saying, get out there and demo everything you can, spend a few hours on them, not just a few minutes. Something will appeal to you over all the others. The dealer will also play a role in earning your business.

larry_arizona
10-21-2021, 05:52 PM
I agree, people spend money on what they feel is best for them. I am fortunate enough to get to ride many different brands, they are all great, especially the premium lines. And yes, I think Supra is the best overall bang for the buck! I love riding our friends g23, g21, mxz, Mastercrafts and so on. But those other wakes aren't 40-50k better than a comparable Supra, and in some cases worse. Sometimes the boats with better wakes have less features on the boat as well. What I am saying, get out there and demo everything you can, spend a few hours on them, not just a few minutes. Something will appeal to you over all the others. The dealer will also play a role in earning your business.

My research led me to Supra along with a budget.

MC and Nautie are not in my budget.

If I had FU money, I would have highly considered a G23.

mgswake
10-21-2021, 07:59 PM
I was highly considering the S23. I demo'd it twice and it did more than enough for my needs, but I don't think Nautique priced it correctly. After discount, the S23 is more than a lot of the 2020 and 2019 G23 that are barely used. I really don't want to spend that much when I could get a just barely used boat with many more features. That is why I like the SA and SL, the MSRP on my builds is lower than the discounted price of the S23. I didn't even price a new G23. The price of a new G is insane to me. I have liked the SA and other Supra's for awhile ever since they went to subfloor ballast. That is one of my biggest buying points for my next boat. Plus the bow filler cushion has the gator step and the in floor cooler. The S23 doesn't have the bow filler cushion reversible seat and the cooler is under the seats.

larry_arizona
10-21-2021, 08:04 PM
I was highly considering the S23. I demo'd it twice and it did more than enough for my needs, but I don't think Nautique priced it correctly. After discount, the S23 is more than a lot of the 2020 and 2019 G23 that are barely used. I really don't want to spend that much when I could get a just barely used boat with many more features. That is why I like the SA and SL, the MSRP on my builds is lower than the discounted price of the S23. I didn't even price a new G23. The price of a new G is insane to me. I have liked the SA and other Supra's for awhile ever since they went to subfloor ballast. That is one of my biggest buying points for my next boat. Plus the bow filler cushion has the gator step and the in floor cooler. The S23 doesn't have the bow filler cushion reversible seat and the cooler is under the seats.

You will love an SA or SL

mgswake
10-21-2021, 08:24 PM
does the SA have a slight pickle fork? It looks a little wider than the SL bow. Can anyone confirm this? Thank you

larry_arizona
10-21-2021, 08:26 PM
SA has a wide pickle fork bow, SL has a narrow fork

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211022/002e676904d7a2f4d869eecde3f9d58f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211022/42a133b108248755b59da0cf1136fd90.jpg

MJHSupra
10-22-2021, 01:09 PM
Both wakes are amazing. I feel the SL when weighted is a bit more of a longer ramp whereas the SA is more vert. Both have nice transitions and clean up easy.

^^ Agree 100% with this ^^
I was just telling someone a few weeks ago the same thing.

Buddy68
10-23-2021, 07:57 AM
Get the 450 if you really wanna slam it. I ordered a ‘22 SA because i’m coming from a 19 and my dealer sold out of SL build spots before it got released. They already sold a 2023😂. Either one is great although i havent been behind a 22 SL yet i dont see skiers choice taking steps backwards…

larry_arizona
10-23-2021, 09:29 AM
Get the 450 if you really wanna slam it. I ordered a ‘22 SA because i’m coming from a 19 and my dealer sold out of SL build spots before it got released. They already sold a 2023[emoji23]. Either one is great although i havent been behind a 22 SL yet i dont see skiers choice taking steps backwards…

Congrats on the SA, post your build pics.

mgswake
10-24-2021, 09:41 AM
Is there a huge difference between the standard racks and the clamping racks?

What is the difference between transom underwater RGB and the Intense Supra flood?

Are there interior RGB lights? The Nautique I was looking at had them under all the cupholders and tower speakers but it was a 2000 upgrade. In some of the photos it appears there are RGB under the gunnels? Anyone able to confirm if these are standard or an option? I didnt see them listed in the options list.

Also, I dont see a swim platform ladder, anyone added one of these?

Thanks everyone. Going Tuesday to the dealer,, pretty excited!

larry_arizona
10-24-2021, 03:09 PM
Is there a huge difference between the standard racks and the clamping racks?

What is the difference between transom underwater RGB and the Intense Supra flood?

Are there interior RGB lights? The Nautique I was looking at had them under all the cupholders and tower speakers but it was a 2000 upgrade. In some of the photos it appears there are RGB under the gunnels? Anyone able to confirm if these are standard or an option? I didnt see them listed in the options list.

Clamping racks way worth it

Standard RGB underwater are meh, Intense flood are liquid Lumens, if you ride in evenings, the liquid Lumens are powerful, lights up the back of the boat and the 1st half of the wave.

The interior LED’s are RGB and really good and standard. I think 2022 has a new controller that you can strobe RGB to the music. Supras have a led above the cup holders versus below, they look good.

All the JL speakers are full RGB and the towers have RGB down lighting too, all standard.

russellsmojo
10-24-2021, 03:28 PM
Clamping racks are so worth it! And 450 if you are a wakeboarder that likes weight.

mgswake
10-24-2021, 09:46 PM
thank you for the replies!!! much appreciated

HFarr
10-25-2021, 09:28 AM
They would probably let you demo both of these I am sure.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211025/1bc143549ace8a7823a67a6500ff8318.jpg

MJHSupra
10-25-2021, 09:36 AM

Someone on here had a post about mounting a ladder to a newer SE. Not sure why that is still not an option.

I think BU got it right on the fold-down step they have on theirs.

SONIC
10-25-2021, 09:53 AM
Someone on here had a post about mounting a ladder to a newer SE. Not sure why that is still not an option.

I think BU got it right on the fold-down step they have on theirs.

I agree the Bu step is awesome.

I added a ladder to my SA, super simple and ~100 bucks so it's no big deal there.

Holdmybeer
10-25-2021, 10:12 AM
BU gained the patent when they bought out Cobalt or else they wouldn't have it either.

It is sweet though. My kids would use it as a swim up bar for lunch....:D

2in2out
10-25-2021, 11:06 AM
If you park slammed with ballast, my 20SA was consistently 6” under the surface.

What is needed is a ladder that deploys on auto like surf tabs and smart plate. Has to be in neutral to deploy and forward speed <5kts, and retracts when put into gear.

Making my new SA build come true!!!

sandm
10-25-2021, 12:10 PM
What is needed is a ladder that deploys on auto like surf tabs and smart plate. Has to be in neutral to deploy and forward speed <5kts, and retracts when put into gear.

just what the industry needs. another 8k "upgrade". :)

HFarr
10-25-2021, 12:13 PM
If you park slammed with ballast, my 20SA was consistently 6” under the surface.

Making my new SA build come true!!!Now that would be a high class option!

Holdmybeer
10-25-2021, 12:39 PM

It exist just not for wake boats....LOL!

mgswake
10-26-2021, 08:09 PM
HFarr - Thanks for sharing those boats if that post was for me, I'm working with Southtown out of Augusta. They are only about 60 mins from my house. I met them today and they seem like good guys. I got a real good feeling from the sales team and what I can expect from service. They had an SA in stock that I sat in and dug around for about two hours. They are drivng to me tomorrow to let me demo the boat. I am highly impressed with the dealer so far. Also, they are an hour and a half closer than the Nautique dealer who is 2.5 hours away.

tre
10-26-2021, 11:34 PM
mgswake, one of the features not mentioned so far is the Autowake system. This system is absolutely fantastic for wakeboarding. Personally, I think it is more important for wakeboarding than surfing. The wakeboard wake is always perfectly even and crisp on both sides of the boat. With every inboard I've owned in the past, the wake would never be even on both sides. In prior boats, there may be a little wash on one side so we have to stop, move passengers, fill a little more on one side or empty some on the other, etc. With Autowake, if someone moves, or something is not even, the system levels the wake itself and makes it perfect on both sides of the boat, every time. I can't tell you how fantastic this is for me.

HFarr
10-27-2021, 09:36 AM
HFarr - Thanks for sharing those boats if that post was for me, I'm working with Southtown out of Augusta. They are only about 60 mins from my house. I met them today and they seem like good guys. I got a real good feeling from the sales team and what I can expect from service. They had an SA in stock that I sat in and dug around for about two hours. They are drivng to me tomorrow to let me demo the boat. I am highly impressed with the dealer so far. Also, they are an hour and a half closer than the Nautique dealer who is 2.5 hours away.Absolutely. That's awesome they are letting you demo, and I would insist on it before I spent that kind of money. I know inventory is making that harder to do these days. I just happened to see that Atl Marine had both of the boats you were considering, even if they were used. That's why I asked what lake you were on way back in this post somewhere. I have heard good things about Southtown too, and they are the recommended dealer for where I live. But Atl Marine is the dealer for where we keep our boat.

HFarr
10-27-2021, 09:41 AM
AutoWake, or Swellsurf I think is what Supra refers to it as, is a must. Make sure to go with the newest 3.0 version. It has extra tabs that adjust to really clean up the edge of the wake. Especially on the goofy side where prop rotation seems to always creates a little dirty edge at the top.

larry_arizona
10-27-2021, 10:15 AM
AutoWake, or Swellsurf I think is what Supra refers to it as, is a must. Make sure to go with the newest 3.0 version. It has extra tabs that adjust to really clean up the edge of the wake. Especially on the goofy side where prop rotation seems to always creates a little dirty edge at the top.

Supra has autowake

Swell surf is different, and does not use the extra yaw tab like moomba.

HFarr
10-27-2021, 08:36 PM
Ok I thought they were the same just different names. What is the difference? I know I should go to the website and look for myself, but I like the real answers here better![emoji1]

larry_arizona
10-27-2021, 08:42 PM
Ok I thought they were the same just different names. What is the difference? I know I should go to the website and look for myself, but I like the real answers here better![emoji1]

Supra swell surf 3.0 uses a multi angle plate with a rolled outer edge to make a clean wave face with one actuator vs flow 2 flat plate one actuator and flow 3 with a two piece plate dual actuator plate.

Swell surf also has pretty decent presets programmed for surf, wake and Ski.

Moomba and Supra share a lot of tech, materials and manufacturing, but they have separate engineering teams.

HFarr
10-27-2021, 08:44 PM
So if supra offers both, which do they consider to be the premium choice?

larry_arizona
10-27-2021, 08:46 PM
So if supra offers both, which do they consider to be the premium choice?

Supra has only swell surf 3.0.

Supra also has Autowake standard. They are independent systems but can work together.

mgswake
10-27-2021, 08:58 PM
Demo’d the SA tonight, loved it. We like the updates to the 22 SL bow and the way they cleaned up the battery storage snd amp rack. Is the SL similar wakeboard wake? The dealer is saying I would probably like the SA wake more for wakeboarding. Unfortunately they only have the SA in stock to demo.

On a side note the dealer is amazing. They have been top notch so far!

KnoxMojo
10-27-2021, 09:21 PM
Demo’d the SA tonight, loved it. We like the updates to the 22 SL bow and the way they cleaned up the battery storage snd amp rack. Is the SL similar wakeboard wake? The dealer is saying I would probably like the SA wake more for wakeboarding. Unfortunately they only have the SA in stock to demo.

Refer to my comment on page 1.

larry_arizona
10-28-2021, 09:30 AM

You can’t go wrong with SL or SA.

It boils down to preference. The SL bow upgrades are WELL done, Styling is subjective.

Where did they move the SL batteries and AMP rack?

mgswake
10-28-2021, 09:42 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3sroRV22NTQ&t=302s

The batteries and amps are still under the dash, behind the observer seat, but they put a cover over the batteries and flush mounted the amps. Check the video around the 2:45 mark.

larry_arizona
10-28-2021, 09:51 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3sroRV22NTQ&t=302s

The batteries and amps are still under the dash, behind the observer seat, but they put a cover over the batteries and flush mounted the amps. Check the video around the 2:45 mark.

Very smooth/clean look.