PDA

View Full Version : Boat Won't Start

weldingza
10-15-2021, 04:55 PM
Hey Guys,

I am hoping this is something silly I am overlooking. I changed out the spark plugs about 2 weeks ago and verified the boat ran after, and it did. Fast forward to present day and I did the full winterization process last night draining all the water. I went to start the motor to run the antifreeze through and it wouldn't start. It wouldn't even turn over. The fuel pump goes when I turn the key and when I try and start it there is ONE single click that is coming from the end of what seems like a relay( at the end of a wiring harness) and thats it. Not sure how that would happen all of the sudden. HELP

HFarr
10-15-2021, 05:13 PM
Batteries charged fully? Check kill switch. Make sure shifter isn't bumped out of neutral.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

weldingza
10-15-2021, 05:39 PM
I forgot add, battery is fully charged. I don't have the lanyard kill switch. And I am sure its in neutral.

Turbinesurgeon
10-15-2021, 11:32 PM
Is the throttle in neutral? I know it’s simple but it happens and we’ve all been there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott-clt
10-16-2021, 06:55 AM
If you have a battery switch, make sure that’s on too.

weldingza
10-16-2021, 01:44 PM
All of those things are checked off and still no luck. Being winterization time too, no place has any availability until December.

weldingza
10-16-2021, 02:15 PM
Here is the piece that is clicking, any ideas what it is?30103

larry_arizona
10-16-2021, 03:34 PM
Looks like a starter relay, sometimes they include a fuel pump relay if the boat has EFI

HFarr
10-16-2021, 06:18 PM
Looks very similar to the starter relay on my old truck.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

weldingza
10-16-2021, 07:20 PM
I replaced the relay and the new one still does a SINGLE CLICK when trying to start the boat.

james yarosz
10-17-2021, 09:29 AM
Have someone hold the key in the start position and tap the starter with a hammer.Has the starter ever been under water?

larry_arizona
10-17-2021, 09:39 AM
Have someone hold the key in the start position and tap the starter with a hammer.Has the starter ever been under water?

This!!! Also if the starter has a piggyback solenoid, you can try jumpering the solenoid with a screw driver.

weldingza
10-17-2021, 02:23 PM
Funny you say that, my bilge didn't kick on the last time we were out and the starter was under water for a period of time until I got the bilge working. about 20-30 minutes or so. I just did the jumper on the starter solenoid, and the starter ran. But it didn't actually engage with the engine to start the boat...Does that mean the solenoid is faulty as its not engaging?

weldingza
10-17-2021, 02:41 PM
Genius, fellas! The hammer trick worked! I am guessing that if the solenoid doesn't engage then it wont even attempt to turn over. I hit it with the hammer and heard the solenoid engage then it turned over just fine. All of that said, I can get it running to finish the winterization process, but what should I fix/replace? The whole starter? Just the solenoid? Rebuild something? Thanks again for all the help, I can finally sleep now!

larry_arizona
10-17-2021, 03:23 PM
If you submerged the starter, I would replace it.

sandm
10-17-2021, 08:25 PM
had same issue on our '12 tige. bang with the hammer and work.
if it was my coin and peace of mind, I'd replace whole starter. never cared on a car as it's not hard to push start or use AAA but out on the water and especially out west where cell service is hit or miss, I'd replace the whole unit.

weldingza
10-18-2021, 08:09 AM
Now that she is laid up for the winter, I will pull the starter out and do an overhaul on it and/or buy a new one if that doesn't seem to work. Thanks for saving me from wasting my money at the stealership on this one!

james yarosz
10-20-2021, 10:04 AM
The hammer trick will only work so many times.The starter needs to come out and be rebuilt or replaced.