PDA

View Full Version : Static Engine timing 5.7 Carb

aajra
06-24-2002, 03:26 PM
I have a 2001 Pro Mobius with a 5.7L Carb motor. The engine was damaged last year during the winter, and i have since bought a new motor and installed it. I need to know the proper way to set the initial timing on the motor. I know that there is a loop-back adapter and im not sure if its suposed be plugged in to set the timing or removed. Right now i set the initial timing to 10deg adv.. with the loop-back plugged in. But i noticed that there is no advance when i reve the motor up to 3000rpm. After i set the timing should i remove the adapter? Also what is good TOTAL timing setting to look for (does 30-32deg adv. sound about right) Please advise...Thanks

dmgx
06-26-2002, 09:48 AM
We would have to reccomend that you take it to an autorized Indmar service center. If you set the timing wrong serious damage to the motor could result. Also you could void your warranty by setting it yourself. Thanks, Jay Warren

aajra
06-26-2002, 12:52 PM
This is not the original motor, and it has no warranty. I asked a local dealership on how to do it and they said they dident know. So why would i take it to them to do it for me? Its seems like basic info, why is it so hard to come by. I cant find any info on the web. I belive that its a Delco EST ignition system. Setting the timing on a motor is a simple task, i am very mechanically inclined. Most motors have some sort of mechanical or vaccume advance, and normally a plug or wire needs to be grounded out or removed in order to set the static timing. Is there anybody out there with knowlege on an EST distributor?

Brian Raymond
08-30-2002, 10:53 PM
In order to bring the motor back into base time, jump the bare end of the timing shunt wire (the black one on the plug in on the backside of the distributor) to the pos. cable on the starter. this will take the motor to base timing, and slightly increase the rpm's. Hook up the timing light with the magnetic pick up on the #1cyl, and proceed to set your timing @10degrees BTDC. Once completed, disconnect jumper wire. If you should have further questions, please contact me @[email protected]. Thanks, Brian Raymond.