PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Sound Proofing

MJHSupra
09-29-2021, 06:12 PM
I was climbing around a 2022 SL the other day.

Anyone have feedback on the new sound proofing?

This is the underside of the trans hatch. There is some under the engine hatch and over the fuel tank as I understand it.

Overall, the new 1.7 trans are quiet compared to my 1.5 when taking a ride on the lake.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210929/2b63816379c48613b3bd788f7129185b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
09-29-2021, 06:22 PM
I was climbing around a 2022 SL the other day.

Anyone have feedback on the new sound proofing?

This is the underside of the trans hatch. There is some under the engine hatch and over the fuel tank as I understand it.

Overall, the new 1.7 trans are quiet compared to my 1.5 when taking a ride on the lake.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210929/2b63816379c48613b3bd788f7129185b.jpg

Interesting choice of foam, very different approach as compared to dynamat style.

I always thought the dynamat was more for sheet metal vibration control versus a sound absorbing material.

Not the prettiest application. But if effective great.

I will say my 1.76 new had a whine/ring to it at 1600-1700 rpm. But as it broke In with use, it’s quiet now.

Ralphy
09-29-2021, 09:55 PM
The 1.7 ratio transmission is vert quiet. Doesn't need soundproofing at all. I hated the 1.76 whine, but it was in a Moomba not Supra which wasn't soundproofed at all.

larry_arizona
09-29-2021, 10:05 PM
The 1.7 ratio transmission is vert quiet. Doesn't need soundproofing at all. I hated the 1.76 whine, but it was in a Moomba not Supra which wasn't soundproofed at all.

My 1.5 was louder than my 1.76, about the same when both were new, but 1.76 quieter and I am at 51 hours.

MJHSupra
09-30-2021, 12:12 AM
I always thought the dynamat was more for sheet metal vibration control versus a sound absorbing material.

Not the prettiest application. But if effective great.

Agree.

Was reading about someone who does this for a living in car audio and home theaters. The Dynamat is the damper, adding mass for vibration noises - thus you see in hot rod and muscle car test is. Where a closed cell foam is used to defuse (and probably deflect) more of the trans whining noises or engine roaring sounds.

Supra is standard on trans hatch, engine cover, and around fuel cell.
Moomba is trans hatch only.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

HFarr
09-30-2021, 10:52 AM
Trans hatch door and cover made the biggest difference in my 21 Makai when I added foam insulation. The whine from transmission seems to be the most annoying sound. My engine is not really the problem.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

mmmkay
09-30-2021, 12:44 PM
My 2022 SL550 is significantly quieter than my 2020 SL400 was (even after I had soundproofed it with dynamat, foam, and weather-stripping). The changes SC made definitely work.

larry_arizona
09-30-2021, 12:57 PM
Cool, just ordered some self adhesive 2” sound absorbing foam.

Engine,trans, main floor. I may also do the infloor cooler and engine dividers.

Never thought the boat was loud, but the noise feed back in this thread sounds like it’s a worthy off season project.

SONIC
09-30-2021, 01:36 PM
Cool, just ordered some self adhesive 2” sound absorbing foam.

Engine,trans, main floor. I may also do the infloor cooler and engine dividers.

Never thought the boat was loud, but the noise feed back in this thread sounds like it’s a worthy off season project.

What did you get? Link?
I used Noico on mine and it helped a good bit but quieter is always better!

larry_arizona
09-30-2021, 01:40 PM
What did you get? Link?
I used Noico on mine and it helped a good bit but quieter is always better!

Trying this stuff, low cost and easy.

Sound Absorbing Foam 12 Pack, 12 x 12 x 2 inches Sound Proof Foam Panels, Soundproof Foam with Adhesives, Recording Studio Acoustical Treatment Soundproof Wall Panels Mushroom, Blue Wall Sound Panels https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097PZBYMV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FXHR47HAP4HD49B3RMFT?_ encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I grabbed a 24 pk, says adhesive and foam is water friendly, if it works, great, if not, only out $50

Holdmybeer
09-30-2021, 02:10 PM
I bet that will work better than you expect.
My only issue doing the trans cover is if the adhesive does not hold well from moisture and/or heat and falls off. It basically lands on the prop shaft coupler of the V-drive and shreds apart or wraps around the shaft and causes damage. I know the dynamat type stuff is bonded and not coming off.

larry_arizona
09-30-2021, 02:18 PM
I bet that will work better than you expect.
My only issue doing the trans cover is if the adhesive does not hold well from moisture and/or heat and falls off. It basically lands on the prop shaft coupler of the V-drive and shreds apart or wraps around the shaft and causes damage. I know the dynamat type stuff is bonded and not coming off.

Good point, but if this is typical closed or open cell foam, I don’t see it taking out a prop shaft, but it could make a shredded mess.

I will try it on trans hatch and put a heat gun to it and see if adhesive fails.

Holdmybeer
09-30-2021, 02:40 PM
Good point, but if this is typical closed or open cell foam, I don’t see it taking out a prop shaft, but it could make a shredded mess.

I will try it on trans hatch and put a heat gun to it and see if adhesive fails.

Let us all know what you find out. The dynamat material did help with vibration created noises and removed some of the higher pitch whine. I would be willing to throw $50 at something that will take it down another notch.

larry_arizona
09-30-2021, 02:46 PM
Let us all know what you find out. The dynamat material did help with vibration created noises and removed some of the higher pitch whine. I would be willing to throw $50 at something that will take it down another notch.

Of course, I was only waiting to see what Supra ended up using.

I should also have a couple more fall cruises to do an ear test before storage.

MJHSupra
09-30-2021, 10:16 PM
Of course, I was only waiting to see what Supra ended up using.

I should also have a couple more fall cruises to do an ear test before storage.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'm going to find out too.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
10-01-2021, 01:53 PM
Foam showed up, started on trans cover.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211001/9395335da74f3eaf09ac4a645f2a597d.jpg

Holdmybeer
10-01-2021, 01:55 PM
Between that new foam and the surf pipe, should be nice and silent for surfing and music blasting.

You going out on the lake to test it this weekend?

larry_arizona
10-01-2021, 01:55 PM
I hope to.

HFarr
10-01-2021, 03:16 PM
Foam showed up, started on trans cover.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211001/9395335da74f3eaf09ac4a645f2a597d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWOW! If that glue holds up, that has GOT to make a difference! Looks good too. People are gonna think you have an electric powered boat!

larry_arizona
10-01-2021, 03:57 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211001/d04eb20f9ca02afebbf6425ccc12b44b.jpg

Main floor

larry_arizona
10-01-2021, 04:34 PM
Engine hatch

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211001/3acb0992db1445492df30e9df6724e24.jpg
23 12”x12” panels covered the engine and trans hatch and the main floor.

$50 and 90 min.

Craz16
10-01-2021, 06:26 PM
Engine hatch

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211001/3acb0992db1445492df30e9df6724e24.jpg
23 12”x12” panels covered the engine and trans hatch and the main floor.

$50 and 90 min.

Looks awesome. Where did you pick this stuff up from??

larry_arizona
10-01-2021, 06:28 PM
Looks awesome. Where did you pick this stuff up from??

See post #10 in this thread. Before everyone buys all this stuff, I want to test it first.

Ralphy
10-01-2021, 08:44 PM
See post #10 in this thread. Before everyone buys all this stuff, I want to test it first.

Too late haha, will be here tomorrow

larry_arizona
10-01-2021, 09:28 PM
Just a heads up, you need to get the foam squares wet and sit them in the sun to expand them after you pull them out of compressed packaging.

I just used a spray bottle. Took about 30 min for the most compressed ones to expand.

haknslash
10-03-2021, 12:13 PM
Just a heads up, you need to get the foam squares wet and sit them in the sun to expand them after you pull them out of compressed packaging.

I just used a spray bottle. Took about 30 min for the most compressed ones to expand.

Get a chance to try it out yet?

larry_arizona
10-03-2021, 12:38 PM
Get a chance to try it out yet?

Not yet, raining.

larry_arizona
10-11-2021, 05:16 PM
It works. Really happy with noise reduction.

May need to improve adhesion over winter

larry_arizona
10-12-2021, 08:52 AM
Some additional observations.

The main noise improvements I noticed.

1) could barely hear the starter when firing it up
2) the raptors have a pronounced valve train noise that was now barely audible.
3) can’t hear transmission anymore.
4) the tones you can hear are lower pitched.

I didn’t tell the wife I added this material, her comment was simply, the boat sounds different.

Success.

Holdmybeer
10-12-2021, 09:04 AM
I didn’t tell the wife I added this material, her comment was simply, the boat sounds different.

Wife noticed, then we all know that Larry is not lying. Best review you could offer. LOL

benny32
10-12-2021, 11:00 AM
What would you do to improve the adhesion? My Makai is going to get this treatment so I'm curious what you change to make it stick better.

larry_arizona
10-12-2021, 11:09 AM
What would you do to improve the adhesion? My Makai is going to get this treatment so I'm curious what you change to make it stick better.

Not sure yet, perhaps two sided tape.

Whatever I find, I still would like it to be removable.

They stick well to flat surfaces, it’s the contoured surfaces that need adhesion improvement.

Based on how Supra adds their stick on foam, I am probably over killing trying to cover any possible surface of the engine hatch and trans cover. Doing just the flat surfaces are probably good enough.

The main floor won’t be an issue as the gas tank sandwiches the foam and will keep it secure.

eder10986
10-12-2021, 03:40 PM
Been strongly considering this but my 17 SA has carpet on the engine hatch and rear storage. Not sure if it would stick. What do you think?

Maybe I could remove the carpet since it’s already ugly AF….?

larry_arizona
10-12-2021, 03:56 PM
Been strongly considering this but my 17 SA has carpet on the engine hatch and rear storage. Not sure if it would stick. What do you think?

Maybe I could remove the carpet since it’s already ugly AF….?

I would take a peek under the Grey carpet. It’s likely Fiberglass coated with a black barrier paint.

HFarr
10-12-2021, 05:00 PM
Not sure if flexseal tape comes 2 sided or not, but I can tell you their regular flex tape sticks like their ain't no tomorrow. Whatever you put it on, it will stay!

larry_arizona
10-12-2021, 05:03 PM
Not sure if flexseal tape comes 2 sided or not, but I can tell you their regular flex tape sticks like their ain't no tomorrow. Whatever you put it on, it will stay!

But can you remove it?

Holdmybeer
10-13-2021, 09:20 AM
But can you remove it?

Why would you want to? Everyone likes a quiet boat.

Hayden
10-13-2021, 02:20 PM
Good find Larry, thanks for following up with your results and opinion on this. I'm definitely considering it. I did the dynamat already so I'll have to check and see whether this will stick to it. The biggest improvement I've noticed so far is stuffing the cover under the rear seat (directly on top of transmission hatch). It looks terrible and normally wet boat cover is not good long term but it makes a huge difference.

sandm
10-13-2021, 03:26 PM
The main floor won’t be an issue as the gas tank sandwiches the foam and will keep it secure.

I'd be real careful how much of this is placed in areas where water can get to it. looks like foam and over the years in some locations could deteriorate/rot and start falling. once in the bilge it can be sucked up by the pump and now you are either without a working bilge on the water or replacing them and cleaning out the little foam pieces monthly.

just some food for thought not knowing exactly what the makeup of this stuff is.

larry_arizona
10-13-2021, 04:00 PM
I'd be real careful how much of this is placed in areas where water can get to it. looks like foam and over the years in some locations could deteriorate/rot and start falling. once in the bilge it can be sucked up by the pump and now you are either without a working bilge on the water or replacing them and cleaning out the little foam pieces monthly.

just some food for thought not knowing exactly what the makeup of this stuff is.

Good points.

The foam is water friendly as you have to wet the foam to revive the shape from compression packaging.

The adhesive is also uneffected by water as well, however, as mentioned above, the adhesive is questionable on curved surfaces.

The surfaces under engine hatch, trans hatch and main floor are protected from direct water contact.

HFarr
10-13-2021, 08:47 PM
But can you remove it?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI used it to hold a plastic rub rail/side bumper on one of my Yamaha vx1100's. A rivet popped loose, and I put this on for a temp hold. A couple weeks later, I had to work like an sob to get that tape off. Used goo be gone and it seemed to soften it into a thin jelly that I had to get off quickly before it dried back to a very sticky glue again.

miahhough
10-21-2021, 11:41 AM
Thanks for sharing Larry. Definitely going to try it. Just curious, does the foam type material work better than the dynamat? If starting over would you do anything different? Should i try to find a double sided tape to start with?

I rode in a 2022 Mojo this week and was blown away about how quite it was. It had the foam on the tranny cover but nowhere else. Not sure if the improvement was due to the foam or because of a different tranny.

larry_arizona
10-21-2021, 11:49 AM
Dynamat works to mitigate vibration on automotive sheet metal, I don’t think boats fiberglass vibrates as bad as sheet metal.

Therefore foam is likely better on a boat. Hence why SC chose foam.

This foam works and looks decent and $50 goes a long way, but improved adhesion will be required, have not resolved that yet on my boat. I am just picky about the type of adhesive I want to use on my boat.

I am sure an automotive spray adhesive would work great.

Holdmybeer
10-21-2021, 12:48 PM
Not sure about this stuff, because I am waiting on others to continue to prove it out. However, the Kilamat did help (dynamat Amazon knock off) and putting 3M tape on that stuff is very hard to remove, but 3m tape on fiberglass peels right off.

I'm thinking you have better adhesion if you already have dynamat down and then use this over top. Again, $50 went a long way on the kilamat also

haknslash
10-23-2021, 10:54 AM
Hey Larry, any videos to share so we can compare how it sounds now? Hearing your wife noticed a change without telling her sounds like a winner to me. Going to give this stuff a try. Unfortunately boat will be winterized soon and won't get a chance to hear any difference until next season :(

larry_arizona
10-23-2021, 11:11 AM
Sorry, no video. Was only able to get out one last time after install. She is winterized now.

I did find some two sided tape I will try out this weekend.

MJHSupra
10-26-2021, 07:37 PM
Factory looks like it’s glued down. One corner had glue, the other did not. Easy to peel off.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211026/f38d717bca2022aa1689b1c45d060429.jpg

WildH
11-03-2021, 10:36 PM
Factory looks like it’s glued down. One corner had glue, the other did not. Easy to peel off.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211026/f38d717bca2022aa1689b1c45d060429.jpg

Great info. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have a Kaiyen ordered and will be experimenting with this as well. Having dinner a number of my vehicles over the past 20 yrs, I've spent way too much time learning what works and doesn't.

The dampers probably help a little with resonance and vibrations but won't diffuse or absorb sound. That's why people haven't seen the results they're looking for. As someone posted earlier, it works well to add mass to lighter weight materials like metal to stop resonance (waves traveling through the medium). But to keep the waves from traveling through it, they need to be broken up and absorbed. That's what the foam and MLV does. MLV is great but it's maybe not practical on a boat because I'm order for it to be highly effective it should be hung rather than adhered.

Best combo would be noico/killmat/etc on the back side of the boat panels, followed by a heavy rubber closed cell foam, and finally a diffusing type foam.

I'll give it a shot with some leftovers I have later this spring.

MJHSupra
11-05-2021, 02:07 PM
Best combo would be noico/killmat/etc on the back side of the boat panels, followed by a heavy rubber closed cell foam, and finally a diffusing type foam.

I'll give it a shot with some leftovers I have later this spring.

I will probably go with the Killmat and some type of Foam attached to that. Maybe a winter project.

HFarr
11-05-2021, 02:17 PM
This is what I put on mine. I put it on the inside of the trans cover, hatch door, and the floor panel over the fuel tank too. It works pretty well.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211105/037e35ddcd29ff963bf902ddc27fa74f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211105/78eecd6675db59481364fc3f1dba6b51.jpg

RUGER761
11-05-2021, 02:32 PM
Ive use Kilmat on our last 2 boats, makes a pretty good difference. The first boat I put it on the trans cover, fuel tank cover, and on the bottoms of the locker storages. (wouldnt recommend putting it on the bottoms of the storage tubs again)This boat Ive only put it on the trans cover as the majority of the sound seems to come from it. One other area on the Makai, the trans tunnel cover doesnt seal up against the wall/firewall/engine divider very well. There is roughly a 3/8"-1/2" gap there. Adding a rubber piece of weather stripping D seal there makes a huge difference as well and still allows it to flex if need be.

HFarr
11-05-2021, 02:42 PM
Yep. Mine was the same way. Had a gap. I think all the models do. Not just Makai. I took some of the leftover mat I had and put a strip all the way around the opening. That helped a lot too.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211105/1f91211dd987950e3a898dfe262aa110.jpg

WildH
05-12-2022, 11:15 PM
Ive use Kilmat on our last 2 boats, makes a pretty good difference. The first boat I put it on the trans cover, fuel tank cover, and on the bottoms of the locker storages. (wouldnt recommend putting it on the bottoms of the storage tubs again)This boat Ive only put it on the trans cover as the majority of the sound seems to come from it. One other area on the Makai, the trans tunnel cover doesnt seal up against the wall/firewall/engine divider very well. There is roughly a 3/8"-1/2" gap there. Adding a rubber piece of weather stripping D seal there makes a huge difference as well and still allows it to flex if need be.

I see you don't recommend the bottom of the storage bins? Curious if you found it ineffective or for other reasons.

vdubnick
05-13-2022, 10:23 AM
Yep. Mine was the same way. Had a gap. I think all the models do. Not just Makai. I took some of the leftover mat I had and put a strip all the way around the opening. That helped a lot too.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211105/1f91211dd987950e3a898dfe262aa110.jpg

looks like they may have updated that, and added a lip on the back portion.

HFarr
05-13-2022, 01:56 PM
looks like they may have updated that, and added a lip on the back portion.Really? They needed to do something better. Got ant pics of it?

vdubnick
05-13-2022, 04:22 PM
Really? They needed to do something better. Got ant pics of it?

its probably part of the " sound deadening improvements for 22" they missed the mark on making the cover too short and it not even sitting on half of the gasket.

HFarr
05-13-2022, 11:09 PM
It's definitely a different setup.

WildH
05-15-2022, 11:00 AM
Here is some sound work I did this weekend.

I used noico black deadening on the engine walls and then a layer of noico red foam over the top. The sheets actually fit the really well so there wasn't a lot of cutting needed. On my 22, the engine compartment walls are easily accessed from the interior.

Tran cover came with insulation on it so I left that.

I'll be able to give some feedback on noise level later this week.

RUGER761
05-16-2022, 08:55 AM
I see you don't recommend the bottom of the storage bins? Curious if you found it ineffective or for other reasons.

I don't think it was too effective on the storage bins being that they have the storage doors over them. I really didnt like it on the center motor storage bin. The Kilmat edges always have a bit of tac to them and that bin is one I pull out all the time so the boat airs out. I kept getting black residue on the fiberglass that I was having to clean off.

Jason1975
05-16-2022, 09:05 AM
Anyone have any pics of what they did with Dynomat? i have a box of it and my 2019 mondo has that tranny whine. I was going to do the trans cover but not sure what would be effective. anyone do this on their own?

Looked at some of the foam pics but the stuff i have is thin and wondering if the adhesive will hold and not drop into the compartment.

HFarr
05-16-2022, 09:42 AM
This is what I did to my trans cover last year. It made a difference in that whine sound. I also did the large floor pan over the gas tank. I did not do the engine hatch, back engine wall, or the two side bins.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220516/80d8f751e764bbdd2846e8b692600eb9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220516/ec2385fe1a6b2dd1d4c385d8bc2a77e7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220516/fb3f9ab3f5008d0874f4d75688450d46.jpg

larry_arizona
05-21-2022, 09:52 AM
The Amazon foam works.

The boat is really quiet.

Lost a couple small squares over winter storage, but the large pieces stay put.

I rate this modification 9.5/10

2in2out
06-06-2022, 08:35 PM
Trying this stuff, low cost and easy.

Sound Absorbing Foam 12 Pack, 12 x 12 x 2 inches Sound Proof Foam Panels, Soundproof Foam with Adhesives, Recording Studio Acoustical Treatment Soundproof Wall Panels Mushroom, Blue Wall Sound Panels https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097PZBYMV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FXHR47HAP4HD49B3RMFT?_ encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I grabbed a 24 pk, says adhesive and foam is water friendly, if it works, great, if not, only out $50

Kent, how is your sound proofing holding up?

I ordered the same stuff for our 22 after conversing with the wife about how much louder the 22 was over our 20.

I plan to put it on tomorrow and was wondering if I should get a different adhesive.

Also, did you clean the surface before application? What did you use?

2022 SA 450

mjb929rr
06-06-2022, 08:48 PM

I ordered the same stuff for our 22 after conversing with the wife about how much louder the 22 was over our 20.

I plan to put it on tomorrow and was wondering if I should get a different adhesive.

2022 SA 450

I installed it with some gorilla spray adhesive. It seems to be holding up well. I’m shocked your new one is louder. Our 20 was so much louder inside even before we did the extra sound proofing in the 22

larry_arizona
06-06-2022, 10:07 PM

2022 SA 450

Absolutely stunned your 22 is louder than your 20.

The whole reason I added the style of sound deadening foam I did, was based on what Supra used on the 22’s

The foam is holding up great. The only pieces I lost were on contoured surfaces.

2in2out
06-07-2022, 09:23 AM
I was really surprised by the noise as well. I remember our first ride in the ‘20 I remarked how quiet it was as we idled away from the ramp. It did have a different transmission whine, but I never got to doing the Kilmat before we sold it.

After two days out, I really noticed the difference at idle, engine noise was louder, and anything over 2200 RPM was loud enough you couldn’t have a conversation. In the ‘20 wife and I conversed easily at those rpm’s. She has diminished hearing from working in and around aircraft, and I am prone to quiet speech patterns.

The noise may also be a result of altitude as well. We used to boat between 4300-6500 ft ASL, which would have some effect on acoustics.

For $50 and 2 hrs time, if I can improve the situation, good money and time spent as long as I don’t get heat stroke again. Gonna be 99 today. I used the extended Bimini while cleaning out the boat 2 days ago, and gonna put it up again today.

2022 SA 450

2in2out
06-07-2022, 09:27 AM
Anyone know what the food grade adhesive they use to put labels on cookware is called?

I thought about using that to bond the squares on the contours. It seems to have good adhesion, easy to remove, and be relatively heat/water resistant.

2022 SA 450

larry_arizona
06-07-2022, 09:52 AM
No need to worry about water resistance, the areas you foam will never see water.

Curious how much foam Supra installed and where on your boat.

2in2out
06-07-2022, 12:02 PM
Engine before:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220607/740e989734b40bb3c71098d820dca08c.jpg

Two pieces of transitional density foam.

2022 SA 450

2in2out
06-07-2022, 12:04 PM
After:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220607/730f66f0ee0b29f1013352482df39934.jpg
Filled some of the voids between the stock foam where there was enough flat to get adhesion.

2022 SA 450

2in2out
06-07-2022, 12:05 PM
Transmission cover before:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220607/922d03a793acd9f031a462b1cf8d0a78.jpg
And after:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220607/062b8cbf7948a0f4dc8b02b28fc3d076.jpg

2022 SA 450

larry_arizona
06-07-2022, 12:20 PM
Looks good, you can also pull the floor panel really easy.

The factory insulation should have helped, do you have a surf pipe?

I would not have said my 21 was loud, it did initially have some gear whine in trans, but after break in, it was gone.

Then added the insulation to engine, trans and floor hatches and it’s glorious.

2in2out
06-07-2022, 02:14 PM
Floor panel had factory foam end to end, so no need. I’ll see how this works and maybe I’ll do engine panels next.

I have the surf pipe, so nothing was different about any of it.

2022 SA 450

WildH
06-08-2022, 11:35 PM
Engine before:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220607/740e989734b40bb3c71098d820dca08c.jpg

Two pieces of transitional density foam.

2022 SA 450

That's the stock sound deadening?!

JimLevin
04-25-2023, 02:58 PM
Hope this isn't beating a dead horse but...working on getting some sound deadening into our 2019 Makai (has surf pipe) and this thread seemed most logical. Would appreciate any thoughts, ideas, general comments, or flat-out ridicule (haha).

So the biggest issue we seem to notice is that v-drive "whine" that this video shows youtube video shows (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apu62irxEKA) in this thread: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?36064-Sound-dampening-for-engine-compartment/page5&highlight=Sound+deadening

I think the biggest issue, at least for my Makai, is there is zero sound deadening in it now, other than the carpet on the firewall and the seats. Just bare fiberglass on the trans tunnel and above the engine. The trans tunnel and top of the engine seem to be almost no-brainer places to add deadening (I did the tray instead of the compartment cover). There is just bare fiberglass in those areas that won't stop any sound and may amplify it. Here is my thought though, looking for input: the sound can be stopped at the end of the gas tank, just in front of the trans tunnel cover. The gas tank blocks most of the vertical space, so applying deadener materials directly to the back side, seems logical, also placing foam around the side of gas tank to contain the sound there, and in so, not having to do the entire floor panel. It would stop the sound there instead of allowing it to travel up into the front of the boat. I am trying a 3 step method, not as hard as it sounds. 1st layer, 120 mil butyl, 2nd is 157 mil closed cell foam, and final is b-quiet high-density acoustic foam. Seems to stick well. Next is the engine divider panels and the underside of the fiberglass that supports the rear transom walk-thru.308143081530816

HFarr
04-25-2023, 05:29 PM
Hope this isn't beating a dead horse but...working on getting some sound deadening into our 2019 Makai (has surf pipe) and this thread seemed most logical. Would appreciate any thoughts, ideas, general comments, or flat-out ridicule (haha).

So the biggest issue we seem to notice is that v-drive "whine" that this video shows youtube video shows (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apu62irxEKA) in this thread: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?36064-Sound-dampening-for-engine-compartment/page5&highlight=Sound+deadening

I think the biggest issue, at least for my Makai, is there is zero sound deadening in it now, other than the carpet on the firewall and the seats. Just bare fiberglass on the trans tunnel and above the engine. The trans tunnel and top of the engine seem to be almost no-brainer places to add deadening (I did the tray instead of the compartment cover). There is just bare fiberglass in those areas that won't stop any sound and may amplify it. Here is my thought though, looking for input: the sound can be stopped at the end of the gas tank, just in front of the trans tunnel cover. The gas tank blocks most of the vertical space, so applying deadener materials directly to the back side, seems logical, also placing foam around the side of gas tank to contain the sound there, and in so, not having to do the entire floor panel. It would stop the sound there instead of allowing it to travel up into the front of the boat. I am trying a 3 step method, not as hard as it sounds. 1st layer, 120 mil butyl, 2nd is 157 mil closed cell foam, and final is b-quiet high-density acoustic foam. Seems to stick well. Next is the engine divider panels and the underside of the fiberglass that supports the rear transom walk-thru.308143081530816Go look at post #53 and 61. I have a 2021 Makai, so should be same setup as yours. The trans cover made the biggest difference. Make sure to cover the gaps on the sides. I also did the bottom side of the gas tank cover panel (floor of the boat).

HFarr
04-25-2023, 05:34 PM
My panel over gas tank. It helped here too. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230425/2c74fd5fc9a2dcaf4b88dbb3319c610d.jpg

Hayden
04-25-2023, 06:14 PM
I did the engine hatch, the trans hatch and the panel over the gas tank. The panel over the gas tank for sure made the least amount of impact for me and I would not recommend doing it. We used a layer of dynamat and a layer of the foamy on top of the dynamat in all places.

The biggest difference out of all of these is the free one...just take your boat cover and stuff it under the rear seat that's right above the v-drive cover. May not look classy but you can stuff it in there far enough that it's not stepped on and it made the biggest difference (by far) for our sound proofing problems.

JimLevin
05-15-2023, 04:15 PM
Update, for anyone interested, got the back wall of the gas tank soundproofed with my 3 layer/3 step process i used. Added foam on the trans cover, the trans cover gap AND underneath where the floor panel covers the gas tank at the very back end, along with what I did to the engine storage bay. Also did some of the sides of the hull around/near the v-drive. Also added rubber butyl and 1 thin layer of foam to the first engine separator panels nearest the firewall/backseats and to the bottom side of all horizontal fiberglass areas over the engine in the engine bay.

WOW, what a difference. Gotta say, I am calling it a complete success. As quiet as the new Makai's we test drove or quieter. Even my wife was said, "I think you need to start a business soundproofing boats, I can't hear the engine or whiny noise anymore!"

No more whine on acceleration and a lot less engine noise overall. Can barely hear it idling, the exhaust bubbles are lounder than the engine. Roughly, not counting wind noise, about 8 to 10db? lower, according to my apple watch sound meter. Before and after. Hard to describe but no whine at all, no high pitch wind out of the v-drive now. (2019 Makai w/400 engine)

NOTE: left the boat cover at home, did not stuff it under the rear movable seat as @Hayden suggested, so the above is without the boat cover helping. Suppose that would do even better. Spent, maybe, $150 or so for everything. I used some spray glue to attach the acoustic foam in places where the stickiness just wasn't enough. The sound can now not get past the back side of the gas tank, as I foamed all those areas off, left small bottom areas open for water to drain back. My goal was to sort of 'seal off' the engine and trans drive area from the rest of the boat with the foam and butyl rubber to contain all that noise.

eder10986
05-15-2023, 04:36 PM
Am I the only one that loves the wine with acceleration? Or am I just crazy?

Never been in a Moomba - are they louder than a Supra?

HFarr
05-15-2023, 05:19 PM
Am I the only one that loves the wine with acceleration? Or am I just crazy?

Never been in a Moomba - are they louder than a Supra?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt does sort of sound like a super charger.....but silece is golden! LOL!

mjb929rr
05-15-2023, 09:30 PM
It does sort of sound like a super charger.....but silece is golden! LOL!

Did the same thing to my boat when we first got it. Never used it before but I know it’s extremely quiet compared to our 20 sl450. All you can hear is a hint of that blower under load, which sounds great

larry_arizona
05-22-2023, 07:45 PM
Wanted to follow up, over winter storage and about 15 hours of use, some insulation fell off contoured areas only, anything flat stuck really well.

Found a spray adhesive by CRC designed for foam, $12 and worked perfectly on all contoured surfaces. I sprayed on foam, them pressed it against fiberglass.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230522/9bf8fa8f0f1b67acad562b5dc7a046a5.jpg