PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else need TWO tow vehicles? What did you end up with?

CptAmerica
09-22-2021, 06:26 PM
I have a scenario where I have TWO things that will need to be towed. My travel trailer, and my soon-to-be-mine moomba. We have decided that buying a daily driver for my wife that doubles as a tow vehicle, like a Ford Expidition would actually cost MORE money than keeping her daily driver honda civic, and buying a second truck and using it only for boat towing duty. I currently tow my travel trailer with a 2012 F150 3.5EB. Does great.

What would you do for a second tow vehicle? Would you have a daily that can ALSO tow? or go with a second truck that only pulls tow duty? I am eyeballing a Tundra with 120k miles for under 17k. Although it SOUNDS strange to have two trucks who's only job is to tow two different RVs 4 months out of the year, it's cheaper than daily driving two vehicles that can ALSO tow enough. (i hope that makes sense)

larry_arizona
09-22-2021, 06:29 PM
I have had two full size 1/2 tons pick ups since 2015

Currently
2019 F150
2021 F150

Crew cabs are more useful to me than SUV’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CptAmerica
09-22-2021, 06:32 PM
I have had two full size 1/2 tons pick ups since 2015

Currently
2019 F150
2021 F150

Crew cabs are more useful to me than SUV’s

But are those limited to tow duties? (and home depot/dump of course)... or do you daily driver them?

brad460
09-22-2021, 07:03 PM
I know there are wives who could pull a trailer/boat but my wife isn’t one of them and so I’ll never have a reason to buy two tow vehicles…:-D

That being said I wanted my wife to get a Expedition or Tahoe so we had an optional tow vehicle, but my wife refuses to drive a full size SUV or 1/2 ton truck…she says too difficult to park in the hobby lobby, grocery store, hair dresser, etc parking lot..

sandm
09-22-2021, 07:14 PM
don't feel bad if you end up with a garage full of rigs that don't do much :)
we have a '16 silverado z71 that pretty much only tows. it's only logged 4k in the last 2 years and majority was back and forth to the ramp. we also have a 99 f250 superduty that tows and is our landscape/dump rig. along with 2 cars and a kawi as daily drivers(even tho gf works from home).

used cars right now are at an all time high. I'd hold off until next spring and see what the market does since you don't need anything right away. prices are still sky high on used but, along with boats, the market seems to have leveled off and prices have retreated a little. my gut says there will be further drops in used pricing and inventory increases over the next 6 months but my crystal ball broke yesterday so it's all an uneducated guess.

larry_arizona
09-22-2021, 07:40 PM
But are those limited to tow duties? (and home depot/dump of course)... or do you daily driver them?

Both daily rides.

Wife drives the 21
I drive the 19

The 21 is the only one we use to tow the SA

CptAmerica
09-22-2021, 07:45 PM
don't feel bad if you end up with a garage full of rigs that don't do much :)
we have a '16 silverado z71 that pretty much only tows. it's only logged 4k in the last 2 years and majority was back and forth to the ramp. we also have a 99 f250 superduty that tows and is our landscape/dump rig. along with 2 cars and a kawi as daily drivers(even tho gf works from home).

used cars right now are at an all time high. I'd hold off until next spring and see what the market does since you don't need anything right away. prices are still sky high on used but, along with boats, the market seems to have leveled off and prices have retreated a little. my gut says there will be further drops in used pricing and inventory increases over the next 6 months but my crystal ball broke yesterday so it's all an uneducated guess.
Yeah, if I go with my current plan, we will end up with two daily drivers, and two trucks. Both trucks only being used for towing/home depot/dump

Both daily rides.

Wife drives the 21
I drive the 19

The 21 is the only one we use to tow the SA
This is an easier way to go, but the problem with daily driving a 60k truck, is when it comes time to replace it, it is a nasty hit. I find these vehicles too expensive to put frivolous daily driver type miles on them. We both commute 60 miles a day (30 miles from work).

larry_arizona
09-22-2021, 07:57 PM
Yeah, if I go with my current plan, we will end up with two daily drivers, and two trucks. Both trucks only being used for towing/home depot/dump

This is an easier way to go, but the problem with daily driving a 60k truck, is when it comes time to replace it, it is a nasty hit. I find these vehicles too expensive to put frivolous daily driver type miles on them. We both commute 60 miles a day (30 miles from work).

Just don’t like cars in General. I have a fun car, but just prefer trucks.

Wife prefers a truck too, no issues parking it.

We actually work at the same company and don’t car pool.

zabooda
09-22-2021, 08:00 PM
Pitch the pull trailer and get a motor home.

MJHSupra
09-22-2021, 08:42 PM
Why not have a 3rd vehicle just for towing? Then pick and drive he/she choices on a daily drivers to log miles and fuel for the daily commute.

I have a tow rig that logs 1-2k miles per year. Used Diesel, so it pulls my boat and car trailer. Plus, when pulling something heavy I like the brakes. New trucks are pretty amazing for towing, but costly.

I have not owned a car as a daily driver for 20+ years. Just does not fit me, but my commute was only to the airport for the last 20 years - every other week. No daily office. Not your situation.

HFarr
09-22-2021, 09:01 PM
I have a 2018 f150 4x4 crew that is my daily driver and keep my boat on a lift year round.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

mjb929rr
09-22-2021, 09:10 PM
Pitch the pull trailer and get a motor home.

I agree. My wife drives our class c motor home and pulls our jetskis. I tow our 2020 sl450 with my 20 Sierra Denali. Works great and the kids much prefer to ride in the rv anyways

rhouse181
09-22-2021, 10:07 PM
For a rad double duty vehicle, look into the Durango SRT. 8,700 lb towing capacity, room for the whole family / dogs, plus a 6.4L NA V8 with very nice bilstein adjustable suspension, VF 8 spd, and brembo monoblock brakes.

Recently ditched my Tahoe for one and I can’t stop smiling…

Holdmybeer
09-23-2021, 07:34 AM
Going out on a limb here but.......I assume you have kids also or dogs that come with you. We have a similar situation and the wife daily drives our Yukon, I drive a cheap work car, and the dually crew cab sits in the barn for real work.

You have a '12 F150 that will easily tow either the Trailer or the Boat so keep it. Wife is driving the Civic and saves money, keep it. Now I would buy a SUV that can tow one of the toys and switch between the truck and SUV as my daily. I'm sure the wife is going to want to drive the SUV several times also, and that is fine.

What weight are we talking about on the trailer? I know the boat is going to be ~7000# once dressed.

FYI...stay away from the Tundra. Very unimpressive when towing long trip. Fuel economy will add hundreds of dollar to your trips.

CptAmerica
09-23-2021, 11:14 AM
For a rad double duty vehicle, look into the Durango SRT. 8,700 lb towing capacity, room for the whole family / dogs, plus a 6.4L NA V8 with very nice bilstein adjustable suspension, VF 8 spd, and brembo monoblock brakes.

Recently ditched my Tahoe for one and I can’t stop smiling…
Yeah, but then you have to drive a Dodge.

Going out on a limb here but.......I assume you have kids also or dogs that come with you. We have a similar situation and the wife daily drives our Yukon, I drive a cheap work car, and the dually crew cab sits in the barn for real work.

You have a '12 F150 that will easily tow either the Trailer or the Boat so keep it. Wife is driving the Civic and saves money, keep it. Now I would buy a SUV that can tow one of the toys and switch between the truck and SUV as my daily. I'm sure the wife is going to want to drive the SUV several times also, and that is fine.

What weight are we talking about on the trailer? I know the boat is going to be ~7000# once dressed.

FYI...stay away from the Tundra. Very unimpressive when towing long trip. Fuel economy will add hundreds of dollar to your trips.
Yep.. 2 kids and one super tiny dog that takes up no space. My 2012 3.5EB F150 tows the trailer pretty confidently. The travel trailer is 5500 dry, so about 6500 or 7000 when all said and done... Roughly the same final weight as the boat. I don't think it would really tow very much more, it's about at it's limit.

Stay away from the Tundra, huh. I was leaning towards a toyota just to pick up some reliability in an older half ton. What gas miliage do they get when towing? MY EB isn't very good either. Costs a fortune to tow. The good news, is my primary lake is only a little over an hour away, all highway.

cucv
09-23-2021, 11:20 AM
I'm not a fan of commuting with my tow rig and have found the savings of having a commuter has lead to multiple tow rigs. When I got my first job with modest salary out of college I set up a car account that was funded even if I had no car payment. I didn't know about the 20/4/10 rule at the time but my philosophy follows pretty close to that except I haven't adjusted the amount that is funded since the start decades ago. Over time we drive an average of 35k miles a year.
We now have 5 vehicles, a commuter car, mini van, Suburban, dmax crew cab 3/4 ton and a 4500 all funded from a very modest account. Everything is very nice, low mileage but may not be the newest model year as it takes time to cycle through replacing all of them. We have been buying new for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

sandm
09-23-2021, 11:32 AM
my old f150 with the 5.3 was 8-10mpg's towing. the superduty is the same with the v10.
our silverado with the 5.3 averaged 13 from wisconsin to utah and 14 here in vegas going from home to the ramp. both routes have many hills and grades.
I have a friend at work with an older stock tundra and he bitches all day long on the crappy gas mileage. another peer had a '20 lifted and they sold for same reason. he was getting 10-12 daily. I don't think tundras are any more or less reliable than the big3 but that's an opinion.

Come on... nothing wrong with a big female reproductive organ on your tailgate :p

all kidding aside, their older trucks have some fit/finish and repair issues but their latest stuff.... they weren't picked as a 3 time MT truck of the year for nothing so FCA is doing something right...
I'd look for something full size tho. 8700lbs towing is awfully close to capacity with a newer wakeboat, gear and family. without getting into a long protracted weight debate that's been beat to death on boat forums :)

Holdmybeer
09-23-2021, 11:39 AM

Yep.. 2 kids and one super tiny dog that takes up no space. My 2012 3.5EB F150 tows the trailer pretty confidently. The travel trailer is 5500 dry, so about 6500 or 7000 when all said and done... Roughly the same final weight as the boat. I don't think it would really tow very much more, it's about at it's limit.

Stay away from the Tundra, huh. I was leaning towards a toyota just to pick up some reliability in an older half ton. What gas miliage do they get when towing? MY EB isn't very good either. Costs a fortune to tow. The good news, is my primary lake is only a little over an hour away, all highway.

Buddies Tundra with nothing in the bed or hitch is 13mpg at 70mph. He hooks his 12ft v-nose low boy enclosed trailer to it at 5000# and it drops to 9mpg. Your ~130ish miles trip to the lake and back with be 1/2 a tank of fuel assuming flat driving. You are in the North West, so I know there is nothing flat you are towing through.

I know the whole Toyota reliability thing, but most body on frame vehicles these days are good, and you won't be towing every day.

If you currently do not have car payments, I would look at getting something new or as close as possible in an SUV and then park the truck. Truck becomes dedicated tow/work rig and the SUV is the daily driver tow rig. Depending on who drives the most per day would get the Civic.

SandM beat me to it also. Full size SUV. The trailer and boat are both at ~7000# loaded and the trailer can go more once you fill water tanks (if needed). If you can get air leveling rear suspension....DO IT. Rides so much better towing.

CptAmerica
09-23-2021, 12:46 PM
my old f150 with the 5.3 was 8-10mpg's towing. the superduty is the same with the v10.
our silverado with the 5.3 averaged 13 from wisconsin to utah and 14 here in vegas going from home to the ramp. both routes have many hills and grades.
I have a friend at work with an older stock tundra and he bitches all day long on the crappy gas mileage. another peer had a '20 lifted and they sold for same reason. he was getting 10-12 daily. I don't think tundras are any more or less reliable than the big3 but that's an opinion.
My F150 EB gets like... 10.2mpg towing. GREAT gas mialage when not towing, when i'm out of the boost, but they don't get great gas mialage when youre IN the boost towing.

I'd look for something full size tho. 8700lbs towing is awfully close to capacity with a newer wakeboat, gear and family. without getting into a long protracted weight debate that's been beat to death on boat forums :)
Yeah, this is a debate I see all over. People see the quoted "max towing" capacity and think anything below that number, and you're fine. I disagree. My current F150 is rated at 11,300lbs. My travel trailer is about 5,500 dry. (7ish loaded) and in my opinion.. I am MAXED out. I don't run airbags, but I do run HD shocks with a great weight distrubution hitch, and it feels like that is about it. The engine is strong enough... the brakes are strong enough... it's really the suspension.

CptAmerica
09-23-2021, 12:56 PM
Buddies Tundra with nothing in the bed or hitch is 13mpg at 70mph. He hooks his 12ft v-nose low boy enclosed trailer to it at 5000# and it drops to 9mpg.
My 3.5 Ecoboost only gets 10 towing.

Your ~130ish miles trip to the lake and back with be 1/2 a tank of fuel assuming flat driving. You are in the North West, so I know there is nothing flat you are towing through.
It's actually MOSTLY flat. There are some small hills here and there, but it's mainly just down the 101 which can be a bit slower and more winding. It's certainly not the same as just rolling down i5... but we're not going up and over the cascades, either.

I know the whole Toyota reliability thing, but most body on frame vehicles these days are good, and you won't be towing every day.

If you currently do not have car payments, I would look at getting something new or as close as possible in an SUV and then park the truck. Truck becomes dedicated tow/work rig and the SUV is the daily driver tow rig. Depending on who drives the most per day would get the Civic.

SandM beat me to it also. Full size SUV. The trailer and boat are both at ~7000# loaded and the trailer can go more once you fill water tanks (if needed). If you can get air leveling rear suspension....DO IT. Rides so much better towing.
The problem with a full sized SUV.. is they claim a max tow rating just over 6k. So a 7000 pound trailer sure sounds like it is going to be too heavy, which is why I was looking for a truck with at least 10k. (most half tons are at least 10k). I think SandM is recommending a 3/4... which is an option, but a bit more pricey.

I do have two car payments, my wife's new Civic and my new Camry, but they are ALMOST paid off. I put down ~10k on these cars, and pay $150 extra in principal on both each month, so I turned my 4 year loans into like 2.5. With a (almost) paid off Honda civic that is practically free to insure, and gets 45mpg... I would think the money saved in commuting would be worth giving my wife two vehicles... her honda and a dedicated tow vehicle instead of commuting in a hyper expensive expidition that gets 15 mpg, and may not even tow the boat that well. I am looking at the tow rating for a 2021 Expidition, and it's 6,300 (9,300 with their HD tow package). That's just not enough. What SUV could tow a boat, if not an expidition?

larry_arizona
09-23-2021, 12:59 PM
Hellcat Durango!!!!

rhouse181
09-23-2021, 01:20 PM

Ha... it's actually a Mercedes chassis platform. Handling characteristics of an AMG with the fit and finish definitely "Made in America."

Towing capacity is bested only by the Expedition in the full size SUV category... I will miss the rear airbags on my Tahoe, but that's about it.

https://i.imgur.com/s93p0JO.jpg

Hellcat Durango!!!!

Now we're talking!

sandm
09-23-2021, 01:21 PM
I think SandM is recommending a 3/4... which is an option, but a bit more pricey.

absolutely not unless you are going into the 23/24ft premium boats that scale out pushing 9000lbs.
1/2 ton are perfectly fine for most boats even with lead/gear. we towed a tige z3 first then an r23 with a grand in lead and gear with our silverado and it did it relatively easy while returning decent mpg's. never needed or used the superduty for boat towing.

keep in mind with any wakeboat, most of the dry weights on trailer are before any options/liquids and not sure today, but back in the day, towers were an "option" and were not included in dry weight. sure that has changed in todays world. we easily add 500lbs to any dry weight for options, gas/oil/antifreeze and any gear we have added sans lead. those 4 rev10's and amp? there's an extra 100lbs. amp/sub? another 50-75. it all adds up.

I would think any of the large suv's would tow it when equipped with tow pack. tahoe, suburban, expedition.
reality is our 2020 camaro with the 6.2 would tow the boat. question is whether it'll stop with it. the frame says "no!".

CptAmerica
09-23-2021, 01:47 PM
Hellcat Durango!!!!

No dodge :D

Holdmybeer
09-23-2021, 01:47 PM
My Wife's Yukon XL (same as Suburban) is rated at 8,300. My Mojo with lead and fuel is ~6700. Yukon has the rear air leveling and it did great in the mountain of Norris Lake. I was getting 12-13mpg until I pulled off the highway. Terrain around the lake dropped it to 9-10mpg.

The Durango is now on a full frame again and not unibody construction and would be fine. However, the Hellcat version sits so low, not sure how well it would do towing.

rhouse181
09-23-2021, 01:56 PM
My Wife's Yukon XL (same as Suburban) is rated at 8,300. My Mojo with lead and fuel is ~6700. Yukon has the rear air leveling and it did great in the mountain of Norris Lake. I was getting 12-13mpg until I pulled off the highway. Terrain around the lake dropped it to 9-10mpg.

The Durango is now on a full frame again and not unibody construction and would be fine. However, the Hellcat version sits so low, not sure how well it would do towing.

Still sporting the same unibody since the 2011 redesign...

CptAmerica
09-23-2021, 02:14 PM
My Wife's Yukon XL (same as Suburban) is rated at 8,300. . That's really pushing it for a #7,000 load...

cucv
09-23-2021, 02:18 PM
I'm so looking forward to the 10k plus tow capacity in some 1/2 ton trucks working there way into the Suburban, Expedition Max and Yukon XL. I was looking for a mint Excursion with V10 or diesel for a long time. Found one right after we bought the Suburban, they are out there.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

CptAmerica
09-23-2021, 02:19 PM
Do any of you use weight distrubution hitches with your boats trailers?

larry_arizona
09-23-2021, 02:22 PM

I probably should and you can get WDH’s that allow backing up, but I don’t.

The Boatmate dual axle trailers do well at mitigating tongue loads as well as braking.

CptAmerica
09-23-2021, 02:25 PM

The Boatmate dual axle trailers do well at mitigating tongue loads as well as braking.

My solid bar WDH used with our travel trailer is pretty amazing. The anti-sway is built into the bar system, and can be backed up without touching it.

Holdmybeer
09-23-2021, 03:30 PM
Still sporting the same unibody since the 2011 redesign...

I have been wrong before....thanks for this.
I swore they went back to a BoF configuration. Had to go back and check myself, and they did not.

Holdmybeer
09-23-2021, 03:39 PM
That's really pushing it for a #7,000 load...

I do not think so at all. The Durango would work (8700 rating) but you do not want a Dodge.

Just say go full size vs mid-size. A 4runner, Honda Pilot, etc. is rated at 6000# max. I would trade the Yukon for an X7 but the max rating is 7000# and that is pushing it.

3/4 ton is not needed for either toy you have but would be easy to load and forget about ratings.

Since you have 2 commuter cars and a truck already and you have 2 car payments, it is very hard to tell someone to just get another truck or suv. Being responsible would be to either ditch 1 of the cars for a truck/SUV and daily drive it, or ditch the trailer and buy a Class C motorhome that can tow the boat.

sandm
09-23-2021, 04:23 PM

never used one on any of our boats and don't see many that do use them. Larry is right from boatmate. they build a pretty nice trailer but even our old metalcrap trailer out of SLC towed our 22ve real nice loaded down.

I forgot that you live out west. might look into length of travel trailer and boat. if you are lucky, might be able to ditch the truck, pick up a diesel and tow both. pac nw has some pretty liberal towing requirements for long loads. I know a few in the nw that have done that the few times a year the entire caravan goes. some states require a permit to do it but pretty easy to get.

duch17
09-23-2021, 05:14 PM
we might be married to the same person. Lol

CptAmerica
09-23-2021, 09:14 PM

That might increase the risk of sway, ya? My travel trailer is REALLY heavy on the tongue. I've never encountered even the slightest hint of trailer sway with it. I think I need airbags, even with the WDH.

larry_arizona
09-23-2021, 09:29 PM
That might increase the risk of sway, ya? My travel trailer is REALLY heavy on the tongue. I've never encountered even the slightest hint of trailer sway with it. I think I need airbags, even with the WDH.

Bags will level your truck, but they won’t add weight back to the front axle. The WDH will add weight to front axle and trailer axles

CptAmerica
09-23-2021, 11:50 PM
Bags will level your truck, but they won’t add weight back to the front axle. The WDH will add weight to front axle and trailer axles

Yeah, my F150 wouldn't be able to safely handle my travel trailer without the WDH. What ball size is needed for these boat trailers?

larry_arizona
09-24-2021, 06:53 AM
Yeah, my F150 wouldn't be able to safely handle my travel trailer without the WDH. What ball size is needed for these boat trailers?

Boatmate uses a 2”.

I think 2-5/16 on the bigger Supras

HFarr
09-24-2021, 07:43 AM
2021 Makai has 2" I was surprised it was not bigger.

Jason1975
09-24-2021, 09:40 AM
2" ball goes up to 10k lbs in most cases with a 1.25" shank.

Mxmark4
09-24-2021, 11:35 AM
I guess I am spoiled living 10 minutes from the lake, so is every trip to the lake involve you taking both the boat and the camper? If that was my situation I would look into a campground where I could keep camper all season and then just haul boat there on the weekends. Then at the end of the season just make 2 trips. My wife couldnt tow or back either so I dont see a need.

CptAmerica
09-24-2021, 02:41 PM
I guess I am spoiled living 10 minutes from the lake, so is every trip to the lake involve you taking both the boat and the camper? If that was my situation I would look into a campground where I could keep camper all season and then just haul boat there on the weekends. Then at the end of the season just make 2 trips. My wife couldnt tow or back either so I dont see a need.
Not every trip, no... but certainly some! Since we are only 1.5 hours from the lake, I forsee LOTS of saturday day trips where the trailer will stay home. But I also predict plenty of Sat-Sun, and Fri-Sat-Sun trips as well.

There is a second lake we go to a couple times a year that is 3 hours away, where we go for a full week, or maybe 4 or 5 days. So there are certainly going to be plenty of trips where I need both the trailer and the boat. If we only went to 1 lake, and it was closer (like you, 10 minutes away... you bastard! :) ), I could just shuttle both with a single truck by doing 2 trips. But even 1.5 hours away, which is relatively close, is too far to go with a single truck. That would be 4.5 hours of driving each way.

Mxmark4
09-24-2021, 03:28 PM
I definitely wouldnt want to shuttle 2 like that for that kind of round trip.But if I did it once a season it wouldnt be so bad. Its like having a lake house without the property maintance hassles. I want to take our teardrop and camp some this next year at Norris. My wifes car could tow it but I honestly dont trust her to pull it up there. Do you really need 2 dailys like you currently have? If you could put wife in an Suv that could tow the camper I think that is probably the best way to get it done short of picking a lake you love and sticking the camper there all season. It was actually pretty cheap for my parents. Like 250 a month, so factor that cost in versus 4-600 a month for a second tow vehicle. Just about the same cost for a slip at our local marinas. Seems to be a lot easier to find a campground spot for the summer than a covered slip at a marina in this current market too.

Got one last option for you and that to get a low boy equipment trailer and a semi and put both on the trailer and haul it all at once. Only need a 100k semi truck a 50k trailer and a cdl but hey its just money. One vehicle and one trip and stick the wife kids and dog in the sleeper cab.

CptAmerica
09-24-2021, 05:37 PM
Do you really need 2 dailys like you currently have?Yep, we both work.

If you could put wife in an Suv that could tow the camper I think that is probably the best way to get it done short of picking a lake you love and sticking the camper there all season.I agree, except large SUVs that can tow cost a lot of money... more than keeping her daily and buying an inexpensive 1/2 ton. No SUV that I know can tow our travel trailer. My F150 is about maxed out as it is, at 11,300 lbs towing capactity. I think the boat's overall wet weight will be quite a bit lighter than the camper trailer... so we are still looking for options around the 8 to 9k towing capactity SUVs... I just hate putting daily miles on expensive cars like that.

It was actually pretty cheap for my parents. Like 250 a month, so factor that cost in versus 4-600 a month for a second tow vehicle. Just about the same cost for a slip at our local marinas. Seems to be a lot easier to find a campground spot for the summer than a covered slip at a marina in this current market too..Certainly wasn't planning on another car payment for the second tower... looking at used 1/2tons under 20k. I wasn't aware you could keep a trailer at a campground for an entire summer. I don't think you can do that here... Ill maybe look at that as an option.

Got one last option for you and that to get a low boy equipment trailer and a semi and put both on the trailer and haul it all at once. Only need a 100k semi truck a 50k trailer and a cdl but hey its just money. One vehicle and one trip and stick the wife kids and dog in the sleeper cab.LOL..

sandm
09-24-2021, 07:34 PM
I wasn't aware you could keep a trailer at a campground for an entire summer. I don't think you can do that here... Ill maybe look at that as an option.

I have not seen many locations in the pacNW that you can do that with. most campgrounds/lakes in the west are state/federal owned and have a 2 week limit or are not in improved areas where you would not want to leave it sitting all summer if you value it. it was pretty common in the midwest where the poster's location shows due to so much private land and we knew a lot of people in wisconsin that had "summer" places that were rv's on lots either on or next to water.

2in2out
09-24-2021, 10:23 PM
How about finding a storage lot near the far away lake you camp at, or at an in-between place. Gets the trailer out of your yard, costs less, and makes the turn-around half, and you only need one vehicle.

When we would camp with our boat, I would go to the storage yard the night before and get the fridge started, and pick up the boat from storage. The next AM ferry the boat up and drop it in the overflow parking on the AM of check in (2pm), then head back to town to pick up trailer.

We would go shopping on way back, wife would load the groceries while I hooked up, then we’d swing by house, pick up dogs and other necessities, and head back to lake 50 min one way.

Then we’d get trailer set up in our spot. I’d go place the beach lines, then we’d go get the boat from overflow and launch. My wife would get the Bimini set up and take a pleasure cruise as I dropped the boat trailer off in overflow, then drove truck back to camp.

I’d meet her at the beach, hop on, and go for an afternoon session. Back in the cove, set anchor, attach beach lines, then head to the trailer and make dinner and cocktails.

We had the whole routine down starting at 7am and ending at 2:30 when I boarded the boat. It was a lot of driving, which I think if you found a mid-point to store your trailer, you could stop along the way and get your fridge running, drop your boat off, return back to trailer, then head to camp.

No need to buy a 2nd truck, or store the 2nd truck with the trailer at mid-point or closer.

My 2 cents ain’t worth 2 cents, bought might stimulate some conversation.

Making my new SA build come true!!!

HFarr
09-25-2021, 07:09 AM
How about finding a storage lot near the far away lake you camp at, or at an in-between place. Gets the trailer out of your yard, costs less, and makes the turn-around half, and you only need one vehicle.

When we would camp with our boat, I would go to the storage yard the night before and get the fridge started, and pick up the boat from storage. The next AM ferry the boat up and drop it in the overflow parking on the AM of check in (2pm), then head back to town to pick up trailer.

We would go shopping on way back, wife would load the groceries while I hooked up, then we’d swing by house, pick up dogs and other necessities, and head back to lake 50 min one way.

Then we’d get trailer set up in our spot. I’d go place the beach lines, then we’d go get the boat from overflow and launch. My wife would get the Bimini set up and take a pleasure cruise as I dropped the boat trailer off in overflow, then drove truck back to camp.

I’d meet her at the beach, hop on, and go for an afternoon session. Back in the cove, set anchor, attach beach lines, then head to the trailer and make dinner and cocktails.

We had the whole routine down starting at 7am and ending at 2:30 when I boarded the boat. It was a lot of driving, which I think if you found a mid-point to store your trailer, you could stop along the way and get your fridge running, drop your boat off, return back to trailer, then head to camp.

No need to buy a 2nd truck, or store the 2nd truck with the trailer at mid-point or closer.

My 2 cents ain’t worth 2 cents, bought might stimulate some conversation.

Making my new SA build come true!!!Man! After reading this and several of the other comments, it makes you realize how much work having fun can be! [emoji38] LOL!

2in2out
09-25-2021, 08:20 AM
Man! After reading this and several of the other comments, it makes you realize how much work having fun can be! [emoji38] LOL!

Imagine doing it 9 times in one summer! But I had 38 days of campfires and surf sessions that year. That doesn’t include the day trips either.

Making my new SA build come true!!!

Holdmybeer
09-25-2021, 09:47 AM
Sell the trailer. Find a lake house and be done.....lol

eder10986
09-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Man! After reading this and several of the other comments, it makes you realize how much work having fun can be! [emoji38] LOL!

Tell me about it. Our season in NC is not over yet although it’s starting to get chilly. We’ve towed almost 2k miles. Add all the prep/clean/maintenance.

But it’s always worth it [emoji4]

RUGER761
09-27-2021, 08:51 AM
We're in the same situation. We have a 43' toy hauler and our Makai. Last year my wife came up with the idea of driving my F250 as her daily driver as her Tahoe really didnt like pulling the Makai all that much. So traded the tahoe off on a F350 for the toy hauler. I have a cheap car for my daily driver vs driving the F350 every day. We are only about 25 miles from the lake so pretty quick to set up most weekends. But we also take a few long trips each year so the F350 is better suited for that.

CptAmerica
09-28-2021, 01:40 PM
It's incredible, really!

Sell the trailer. Find a lake house and be done.....lol
This is the way to go... Maybe i need a second job

Holdmybeer
09-28-2021, 02:03 PM
This is the way to go... Maybe i need a second job

You and me both!

HFarr
09-28-2021, 09:15 PM
Having a place on the lake certainly does make things easier. No doubt. I know timing is everything with property values, but if you can find the right deal, just do it. It will pay off. Especially if you have kids. We bought a fixer upper with no dock about 4 years ago. Fixed it up and built a dock with double lifts. 2 hour drive from where we live, but no getting boat ready, towing, or packing up all sorts of extra clothes, food supplies etc. Just take the cover off and hit the lift switch. I wish we had done it 10 years earlier. Time with the kids and their friends is just priceless! My advise to everyone is if you can find something do it! You won't regret it if you love the water.

Holdmybeer
09-29-2021, 06:48 AM
Having a place on the lake certainly does make things easier. No doubt. I know timing is everything with property values, but if you can find the right deal, just do it. It will pay off. Especially if you have kids. We bought a fixer upper with no dock about 4 years ago. Fixed it up and built a dock with double lifts. 2 hour drive from where we live, but no getting boat ready, towing, or packing up all sorts of extra clothes, food supplies etc. Just take the cover off and hit the lift switch. I wish we had done it 10 years earlier. Time with the kids and their friends is just priceless! My advise to everyone is if you can find something do it! You won't regret it if you love the water.

I'm in Ohio. All the lakes around me are state parks, and the private ones are too small to enjoy or too shallow to do anything. I would be looking at a 4-6hr drive to get to anything good and Lake Cumberland stopped permitting docks in 1994 so the grandfathered houses are priced hella high.

We have been looking consistently, but being 300 miles from our lake house and/or boat would mean no more after work sets.

Why is having fun so complicated?

Mxmark4
09-29-2021, 08:27 AM
A few years back there was a company that would advertise really heavily for lake lots on Norris. Like 29k for lake view with a slip. Lots with no lake views were like 9 k. Had I been more into boating back then I would have probably jumped on it. Only thing is they were way up on the Lafollette side of Norris and from where im at that would make it like an hour plus ride to get there from my house. With property values where they are now, I definitely wish I had jumped on it back then.

larry_arizona
09-29-2021, 09:40 AM
A few years back there was a company that would advertise really heavily for lake lots on Norris. Like 29k for lake view with a slip. Lots with no lake views were like 9 k. Had I been more into boating back then I would have probably jumped on it. Only thing is they were way up on the Lafollette side of Norris and from where im at that would make it like an hour plus ride to get there from my house. With property values where they are now, I definitely wish I had jumped on it back then.

I think there are a few developments like that on Norris. We stayed in a house in Rock Harbor and it was really nice, but holy steep hills. Almost absurdly steep subdivision roads.

Had to launch at public marina, then dock at rock harbor community marina.

Tons of 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots. 10k-30k a few lake front lots around 125k, walking distance to community marina, 60k

Holdmybeer
09-29-2021, 09:42 AM

My issue with Norris property (not the lake) is that I can find "affordable" lots with lake views or even water front, but to build I need to clear a mountain side, build a road, dig into mountain for foundation, and all with TVA approval. 10+ years ago this would be at reasonable cost, but now it is not something I just couldn't do with current life and fun cost.

bergermaister
09-29-2021, 01:52 PM
Not every trip, no... but certainly some! Since we are only 1.5 hours from the lake, I forsee LOTS of saturday day trips where the trailer will stay home. But I also predict plenty of Sat-Sun, and Fri-Sat-Sun trips as well.

There is a second lake we go to a couple times a year that is 3 hours away, where we go for a full week, or maybe 4 or 5 days. So there are certainly going to be plenty of trips where I need both the trailer and the boat. If we only went to 1 lake, and it was closer (like you, 10 minutes away... you bastard! :) ), I could just shuttle both with a single truck by doing 2 trips. But even 1.5 hours away, which is relatively close, is too far to go with a single truck. That would be 4.5 hours of driving each way.

Curious where you're located. We've been doing two tow vehicles since,,, forever basically. Full size SUVs for the boat, and as the trailers got bigger the trucks got bigger. Both have always been daily drivers - we don't really have the luxury of having a used car lot at home.

Thankfully my wife didn't mind towing the boat but now we've been passing the torch down to the kids (18 and 20) and they handling it like pros.

CptAmerica
09-29-2021, 03:02 PM
Curious where you're located. We've been doing two tow vehicles since,,, forever basically. Full size SUVs for the boat, and as the trailers got bigger the trucks got bigger. Both have always been daily drivers - we don't really have the luxury of having a used car lot at home.

Thankfully my wife didn't mind towing the boat but now we've been passing the torch down to the kids (18 and 20) and they handling it like pros.

Pacific Northwest... Lake Cushman, Lake Crescent, and Riffe Lake. We are lucky that we have some property, and room for 5 cars in my garage. Once the boat takes up the 3rd bay, we will end up with 1 boat and 3 vehcles in the garage (both tow trucks, and wife's civic)... My daily driver in the driveway.

We've played with the numbers enough to see that the most affordable way to do it, is 2 dedicated two vehicles that remain for only tow duty. This keeps them from having to be replaced very often at all, and we simply replace the dailys as they wear out. A little more cost up front... but will start saving money after a few years.

Kxmoomba
09-30-2021, 02:29 PM
2 tow trucks for us. I tow the toy hauler with the F250 and husband tows the boat with his F150 eco boost. Have a tacoma for a daily and with hard work they are all paid off. Need a new 3/4 ton but.. new trailer took that spot. All is well until you need to tow the toy hauler with the 1/2 ton... not super safe.