PDA

View Full Version : 2019 G23 vs 2022 SA

jcredible
09-21-2021, 06:53 PM
Hey guys,

Just selling my 2019 Mojo here and had a 2017 Mondo before. Huge fan of Skier's choice and love the community around the brand and have had nothing but awesome things to say about both boats! With that being said, my cabin neighbours have tons of G21s and G23s.

I am looking at either a brand new Supra SA or a 2018-19ish G23 with 150ish hours. Curious on the group's thoughts

1) 80% surfing
2) 20% lounging around with kids and swimming

I really like the G wave and haven't surfed an SA yet(but have a 2018 SL and it was great).

Thanks guys!

larry_arizona
09-21-2021, 07:39 PM
SA and SL surf wave for all intents the same.

It really boils down to if you like the G or SA.

Thrusters lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigs28
09-21-2021, 08:09 PM
If i had the budget i would have a g23. Never been in a supra. No supra
dealer in Florida but can't find a bad thing to say about the g series at all.

sandm
09-21-2021, 08:19 PM
I'd pick up the supra if it was me. my cousin had a gs22 tho and LOVED it. said the wake was not the best at anything but solid overall and build quality was great compared to the 2 'bu's he came from...

either way can't go wrong but for me, warranty on the supra would have me buying that boat IF pricing was either a non issue or the same across both.

jcredible
09-21-2021, 09:22 PM
Cost will relatively be the same on the 2 boats.

larry_arizona
09-21-2021, 10:03 PM
I can say the SA leaves me wanting for nothing and 7 years of warranty gives you the warm and fuzzies.

mgswake
09-21-2021, 11:56 PM
I love Nautique, but if the prices are close like you mention it would be hard to pass up a new boat that has longer warranty and you get to customize all the options yourself. I like the clean look of the NSS vs the swell on the transom, but both boats are beauties.
I am leaning toward an S21 or S23. I have Demo’d and they are nice for wakeboarding which is our primary use. There aren’t any SA at my local dealer or I would demo one. I think a 22 SA would be similar pricing to the S23

Jason1975
09-22-2021, 08:53 AM
I don't think you can make a bad choice here. That being said, I LOVE Natique however having a brand new boat with warranty that last longer isn't going to hurt either. Both will hold their value. From a surf perspective both will surf just fine and do anything you want to do without a problem.

Prospersigman
09-22-2021, 08:58 AM
I have been in a 2019 G23 many, many times as one of our boating buddies has one. I have been in the new Malibu M220 and obviously own a Supra and have another buddy with a 2020 SL.

My opinion on the G23 is this:

1. Built better, quieter, better quality materials used than Supra or Malibu. I always tell my buddy that his boat is the best built out of any of the 4 families we lake with every weekend.

2. The LINC Panoray screen and helm control with the arm rest is pretty sweet and you never have to take your hand off the wheel to change anything on the boat.

3. Storage is even better than the Supras, there is more of it and the rear lockers are deeper. The inside of all storage is lined with SeaDeck not the cheap stuff Supra uses.

4. Uses regular octane gas, does not require higher octane like the Supra boats do.

Now for the cons:

1. The power actuated tower bases are huge and block the view for everyone in the boat.

2. NSS...what we joke is the Nautique Spray System. The boat still sprays water from midship all over the people in the back on windy days.

3. No cup holders any where on the back on the 2018-2019 model boats (this has changed now, but not in the years you are looking at)

4. He has 500lbs of added lead and his wave is by far the least favorite of mine. I just don't like the Nautique waves. I find them short and the curl really grabs my feet and board when I try to get as far back on the wave as possible. The wave is not as adjustable as the Supra wave, I can make my wave tall, short, long, etc. To me the Nautique wave is just meh.

With all that being said...I would go for the 2022 SA, now if a new 2022 G23 is in your budget and money is no concern...I'd go with the 2022 G23 it is a sweet looking boat.

Ralphy
09-22-2021, 09:49 AM
We've looked at a SA and she's awesome. Never on a G23, but we spent a considerable amount of time on a G25, and I assume they are very similar. Very quiet boat, which adds to the luxury feel for sure.
Anyway, for similar money and both boats new, I'd buy the G. 3 year old vs a new SA with all the latest and greatest? Not a chance - unless big price difference is a factor.

MJHSupra
09-22-2021, 09:00 PM
If you are a picky surfer, pick the wave that suits you. They are different feels and I know peeps that stand by both sides.

Otherwise for my surf and wake skills: 2022 Supra and that warranty.

If you are not keeping it long, “something different” would be cool to own.

russellsmojo
09-23-2021, 05:21 PM
I would think a 2022 SL would be about same price as 2019G. The New SL is where I would spend money!

Wildwillis
05-11-2024, 11:02 PM
I’m a long-time lurker and in the market to upgrade from my 2005 Malibu VLX. I wanted to revive this old thread because I’m looking at these exact 2 boats along with maybe a 2019 SA 400. Opportunities to demo are very limited where I am. The G23 isn’t too far away, but it’s not technically for sale yet so not sure when I can get behind that one. The SAs are a good 6 hr drive, so I’d like to be pretty sure I’m getting one before I make that drive and demo.

I’m mostly interested in hearing more about the surf waves between the 2. I have a very shallow dock, so the 26” draft of the pre-2021 G23 is ideal, but I think I could get away with the 28” of the Supras. My trips are usually short and leave from the dock with a small crew, so storage and seating aren’t huge considerations. Both boats seem more than adequate for me from the fit & finish standpoint. Maybe a little nicer interior on the G23, but maybe a few more features like LED speakers and 6 ballast pumps on the Supra.

I’ve seen mixed reviews on surf wave of the pre-2021 G23 vs the SA, so just looking for some more input from those that have surfed both. I would appreciate any additional impressions/comparisons on the wave length / height / push. Also, the 2019 SA has the newer dash & screens, but not the sub-floor ballast. Any input on the wave difference there being worth the additional $20K? Thanks so much in advance!

KnoxMojo
05-12-2024, 07:09 PM
Both are killer boats! Having an 18 SA and have been on many 19s and up, it is hard to go wrong with the SA. I have also been on quite a few G's, great boats and your thoughts on them are pretty spot on. The SA and G wake for wakeboarding are 1 and 1A. Ask the pros to be honest and you'll get about half and half to each. Surf wave, the SA is better. It has more adjustability and easier to dial in. You can ride the Supra wake from pretty far back. The G wave is pure slam you into the back of the boat power. It is steep and very close to the boat. For me to ride the same length back, we have to be going 12.5 or more, compared to 11 or so. The sub floor ballast is great in the 20 and up. Having mine at our dock, I don't really need it, but when on others, am always amazed at how much room they have. So really it comes down to what you want to do and how you want to use the boat. The G is 2-1 v drive ratio, Supra went to the 1.7 in 2020. The 1.5 in the 19 is good with a 15x12.5 or 15x13 prop. Late 19 450s got the 1.7, something to ask about if looking at a 450.

larry_arizona
05-13-2024, 08:30 AM
Never been on a G boat but owned a Gen2 SA and currently in a Gen3 SA

The SA as mentioned already puts out insane surf and wakeboard wakes and super easy and forgiving to set up a massive wake. I don't even use auto wake anymore, 9-9.5 pitch and roll is whatever and the surf wave is huge and the pocket is long.

Biggest difference is the storage as mentioned, I will say the gen2 required some added front ballast with a light crew where the gen3 doesn't.