PDA

View Full Version : Kaiyen + 8 foot garage... almost

CptAmerica
09-12-2021, 04:28 PM
Hey everyone! A quick backstory, seconding as an introduction... I am BRAND new to boating. A few of my friends have been into wake boating for years (my best friend started in 2005), but I just never saw myself doing this. Then after the 3rd or 4th trip to the lake this summer with my family, bobbing up and down in my yellow inflatable duck, watching family's roaring with fun around the lake in their boats, sking, waking, and towing their kids on tubes.. it hit me... I need a wake boat in my life and me and the wife are on track to figuring out all the ins, outs, dos, don'ts, and everything we need to prepare to get one, hopefully for next season.

After a few weeks of reading, studying, asking my friends, and 1000 youtube videos, I have settled on Moomba. From what I can tell, it's the best bang-for-buck entry level boat you can get, and I think we are going to start there, I think with perhaps the Kaiyen. My problem, is storing it. The two smaller Moombas both say they are designed to fit inside a standard 8' garage door, which is great. My 3rd garage bay will work well. However, I have a question. On the Kaiyens stats page, it says the height of the boat on the trailer with the tower folded down, is 96". Uhmm.. but an 8' door (which is 96") isn't actually 96"... you have to take into account there is always some trim around the door AND the garage door hangs down a little. Even if the opening WAS exactly 96", I wouldn't want to back my boat into something with literally 0mm of clearance... right? I have just under 94" of clearance on my 9x8 garage door. I haven't been to my moomba dealership yet to look and physically measure myself, I am just starting absorbing information, they are a few hours away. I plan on going pretty soon.

Can anybody tell me the actual height of their Kaiyan on their trailer?

Thanks for any insight and information you can provide.. I am really excided for summer 2022.

sandm
09-12-2021, 06:48 PM
we almost bought a kaiyen last summer and spent time with drew tinker discussing heights.
IF you buy with the regular tower it's 9ft door all day long.
IF you buy with the upgraded pro tower it will clear an 8ft door and we were told by several inches. ours is 7ft11 and told we would have 3 or 4 to spare.
this was on the kaiyen specifically and straight from the owners kid's mouth :)
we did measure one while in phx last summer shopping and aviator tower is a NOGO for sure. they didn't have a pro tower to measure but the dealership did concur with drew that the pro tower would clear 8ft.

9ft width is an adventure as well. I've backed several prior boats into a 9ft wide door and most wakeboats are 8'6 on the trailer so you only have 3" on each side. removing the guidepoles helps a ton but it's still a tight fit.

HFarr
09-12-2021, 11:14 PM
The pro tower does fold lower than the A3 by a good bit.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

CptAmerica
09-13-2021, 02:53 PM
we almost bought a kaiyen last summer and spent time with drew tinker discussing heights.
IF you buy with the regular tower it's 9ft door all day long.
IF you buy with the upgraded pro tower it will clear an 8ft door and we were told by several inches. ours is 7ft11 and told we would have 3 or 4 to spare.
this was on the kaiyen specifically and straight from the owners kid's mouth :)
we did measure one while in phx last summer shopping and aviator tower is a NOGO for sure. they didn't have a pro tower to measure but the dealership did concur with drew that the pro tower would clear 8ft.

9ft width is an adventure as well. I've backed several prior boats into a 9ft wide door and most wakeboats are 8'6 on the trailer so you only have 3" on each side. removing the guidepoles helps a ton but it's still a tight fit.

Thank you for that info... that helps quite a bit. I was a bit indifferent between the towers, but now that makes the decision to get the pro tower moot... it will be a must-have for an 8 foot door. No biggy! I'm sure we will enjoy it's benefits anyway. And yeah, my door is 106" wide, and the boat is 102" wide. That's just about 2 inches on a side. I'm OK with that, I am fine going super slow and taking my time getting it in the garage. We are already going to be knocking out the back wall of the garage to make length. Behind the backwall is a shop... knockin the wall down will remove my shop, but make my garage HUGE... I'm ok with whatever it takes to get my boat inside.

The pro tower does fold lower than the A3 by a good bit.

Much appreciated. Hopefully we can get out to the moomba dealership in the new few weeks here to poke around and ask questions... maybe even order a custom boat for spring delivery.

korey
09-13-2021, 05:06 PM
Another "height hack" that I've learned with these boats is the torsion axle option on the trailer. Though not advertised as such, the torsion axle option sits the trailer a little lower to the ground.

I go t:the big surprise" when i got my '18 home and it didn't fit in my 8' door. I spent one season deflating tires, disassembling the board racks, and backing in with a lower drop hitch, then i found storage and never looked back!

larry_arizona
09-13-2021, 05:19 PM
Another "height hack" that I've learned with these boats is the torsion axle option on the trailer. Though not advertised as such, the torsion axle option sits the trailer a little lower to the ground.

I go t:the big surprise" when i got my '18 home and it didn't fit in my 8' door. I spent one season deflating tires, disassembling the board racks, and backing in with a lower drop hitch, then i found storage and never looked back!

To expand on this, you can adjust the torsion suspension trailers down a little bit.

It’s a balancing act of tire clearance to the fender and overall height of boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yearround
09-13-2021, 06:16 PM
I wish i had info on the Kaiyen, in fact i wish i had one! my timing was such that Kaiyen was not available in 2019 when we replace our LSV with Mondo. for family financial harmony, we store in the garage. did the same, knock out the back to extend, but could not get to 23' boat length.

we lower tower, remove racks. make sure you get the rack removal that only has one bolt to remove. also there is a guy that makes quick release adaptors. i have them, but have been too lazy to install yet. they are quite nice, when i finally put on.

hitting the 9' wide is fine. although plan on hitting the sides occasionally and vent a few words.

you could adjust the door up a bit on the opener so that only the door trim is there, and that too can be adjusted to get the full 96".

good luck and have fun!

larry_arizona
09-13-2021, 06:19 PM
also there is a guy that makes quick release adaptors. i have them, but have been too lazy to install yet. they are quite nice, when i finally put on.
!

Link to quick disconnect kit?

Bigs28
09-13-2021, 06:24 PM
You said your door is 106" wide and boat is 102" wide. My trailer is wider then my boat

rhouse181
09-14-2021, 10:35 AM
You said your door is 106" wide and boat is 102" wide. My trailer is wider then my boat

Had a 110” gate at our old place and my Kaiyen barely fit through with minimal clearance. You will need the precision of landing a rover on Mars trying to get through a 106”. Doable, but you won’t have much cushion to work with…

sandm
09-14-2021, 11:38 AM

most all trailer/boat combos are 8'6" wide. it's due to some DOT requirements. at 8'7" most states require a wide load permit.

and I agree with rhouse. I stored the supra in our 3rd stall due to that boat only being 96" wide. all 3 tiges have been 102 and I gave up on the 9ft 3rd stall. it's just too close. had I been forced to continue to use the 3rd stall, I'd likely have invested a few bills into one of the small trailer movers to make it easier.

Bigs28
09-14-2021, 12:36 PM
Is that wheel width? I know my mojo advertises 102" beam and my guide poles on the trailer have a few inches of space plus the width of the pole. It's currently at the shop for its break in service so i can't measure it at the moment.

Holdmybeer
09-14-2021, 12:53 PM
Like all trailers in most states 102" is the max width without permits and wide load signage.

The 102" beam on the Mojo is measured at the rub rails and is even with the edge of the fenders/wheels. The guide poles are exempt from this measurement because they are removeable. If a DOT officer wanted to be a total D, he could site you for it, because you should remove them while traveling on the roadway. My 2015 Mojo is the 100" beam version, but if I measure guide pole width on the outside it exceeds the 102" measurement also. I have never removed mine, but then again, my door is 12x12 and I can even leave my tower up.

CptAmerica
09-14-2021, 04:27 PM

I have yet to go look in person to measure myself, but I believe 102" is the widest point going down the road, except for the guide poles. If your trailer is wider than your boat, I am betting your boat isn't 102". I could be totally wrong! Very very new to this. Thanks again for everybody that chimned in.

Next will be looking at length. The stats don't say how short the trailer is with the tongue folded. My garage is 22' 8" deep, and from what I understand the swimdecks are very easy to remove... so I am curious if I will be able to fix a Kaiyen or Craz in my garage or will I need to knock down the back wall behind the boat for clearance.

so much to do!

korey
09-14-2021, 04:40 PM
That 102" DOT regulation is on permanent parts of the trailer/boat. Guide post are removable so don't count. it's a technicality, but any of these new boat's guides are wider than 102 - probably 106-110 (boat is 102 + a couple of inches clearance + 2*3in posts = 110in!). It probably means that you're SUPPOSED to be taking the guide posts off to tow down the road, but obviously no one is enforcing that.

Holdmybeer
09-14-2021, 04:40 PM
I have yet to go look in person to measure myself, but I believe 102" is the widest point going down the road, except for the guide poles. If your trailer is wider than your boat, I am betting your boat isn't 102". I could be totally wrong! Very very new to this. Thanks again for everybody that chimned in.

Next will be looking at length. The stats don't say how short the trailer is with the tongue folded. My garage is 22' 8" deep, and from what I understand the swimdecks are very easy to remove... so I am curious if I will be able to fix a Kaiyen or Craz in my garage or will I need to knock down the back wall behind the boat for clearance.

so much to do!

My mojo bow point is 1.5 inches short than the trailer tongue when folded. So add that to the length of the Kaiyen. The boat transom is about even with the back of the trailer but the tabs and surf pipe are almost the same as leaving the swim platform on. You might gain 6 inches of clearance but that is it. 22'8" won't be enough unless you go with a mondo and folding tongue. Even then it will be tight.
Can you park at an angle?

sandm
09-14-2021, 05:02 PM
swing tongue will help a lot but sometimes removing the swimdeck doesn't do much with all the surf gear hanging on the transom.
I would bet if you are 22'10 the boat at 21'5 will fit even with all the surf gear but platform will have to come off. most swing tongues in today's market fold at or behind the nose of the boat so they only take up the dimensions of the actual boat INCLUDING the wake/surf plates.

as you talk to the dealer tho one of the best trailer mods are rear steps but they can add length to the overall combo so check that out. it's the single biggest trailer mod that we loved on both our last 2 boats but can be a challenge if your garage setup is tight.

sandm
09-14-2021, 05:09 PM
holdmybeer beat me to it :)

fwiw our last tige that was tight on garage space was a 22ft boat. with tongue folded and platform off we were 22'6" on a 22'10" goal. the added length was wakeplate. I bet you need 22'5 for the kaiyen with all the tabs on the back but if I were you I'd jettison the surfpipe. no way you are staying under 22'8ft with that attached and it's not removable. be sure and ask about the difference in the added surf system as it extends the surf tabs with an adjustable back angle and will add a few inches to the length with platform off.

going in at an angle only benefits if you are going to use the dual garage and use up both spots.

CptAmerica
09-14-2021, 06:12 PM
holdmybeer beat me to it :)

fwiw our last tige that was tight on garage space was a 22ft boat. with tongue folded and platform off we were 22'6" on a 22'10" goal. the added length was wakeplate. I bet you need 22'5 for the kaiyen with all the tabs on the back but if I were you I'd jettison the surfpipe. no way you are staying under 22'8ft with that attached and it's not removable. be sure and ask about the difference in the added surf system as it extends the surf tabs with an adjustable back angle and will add a few inches to the length with platform off.

going in at an angle only benefits if you are going to use the dual garage and use up both spots.

My mojo bow point is 1.5 inches short than the trailer tongue when folded. So add that to the length of the Kaiyen. The boat transom is about even with the back of the trailer but the tabs and surf pipe are almost the same as leaving the swim platform on. You might gain 6 inches of clearance but that is it. 22'8" won't be enough unless you go with a mondo and folding tongue. Even then it will be tight.
Can you park at an angle?

Thank you for the info, guys. I was thinking that the surfpipe was standard, and was included in the length of the boat.. but I guess that's just the length of the hull? If so... I think I will end up breaking past 22'8". The surf pipe is a must, IMO. Unfortunately no, I can't come in at an angle, but the back wall of my garage is simply a separater between my garage, and a shop. If I knock that wall down.. my 22'8" garage becomes a 40' deep garage. Plenty of space! However... there will be a cost of knocking the wall down and adding a beam. I don't care though. I don't want to be stuck with a 20' boat. I really don't want "2 foot itus".

Thanks again for the replies.

sandm
09-14-2021, 09:00 PM
I don't want to be stuck with a 20' boat. I really don't want "2 foot itus".

having spent a LOT of time on 20ft boats, going to 21.5 is a great decision in the long run IF you are into surfing. boarding, 20ft boats are a great choice.
selling the launch20 and upgrading to a 22ft boat, we never looked back.

HFarr
09-14-2021, 10:58 PM
Can you just cut out and frame in part of your back wall to get the space you need? Sort of make a nook where the boat would back into it. I hate to see a man lose his shop!

Holdmybeer
09-15-2021, 09:25 AM
Hate to see a man lose his shop also, BUT we went from a 18.5ft I/O to a 21ft I/O with open seating and now to a 23ft Mojo. From here on out its either another Mojo or similar or upgrade to Makai or similar. 2-foot-idish is a real thing and once you have the room to spread out and storage you won't go back.

Also the longer hulls can take more weight and throw monster surf waves. The only time I wish the boat was smaller is when people want to go to the river and they have a 22ft limitation. DNR sits at the dock on the weekends waiting for people also.....LAME

Holdmybeer
09-15-2021, 10:00 AM
Looking at the Kaiyen measurements....23' 5" with platform + 3" on tongue length when folded....you need a minimum of 23' 8".

I would just prepare to make the garage 3ft longer and find a way to quick detach your board racks to make it under the 8ft door. Next would be buying a trailer dolly to move the boat tis the door by hand. No way I would want to back through a 106" wide door. The guide pole will probably rub if not hit the sides, if left on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJrJdhDP3W0 <--- should help get it in the garage nice a slow

CptAmerica
09-15-2021, 02:29 PM
Hate to see a man lose his shop also, BUT we went from a 18.5ft I/O to a 21ft I/O with open seating and now to a 23ft Mojo. From here on out its either another Mojo or similar or upgrade to Makai or similar. 2-foot-idish is a real thing and once you have the room to spread out and storage you won't go back.

Also the longer hulls can take more weight and throw monster surf waves. The only time I wish the boat was smaller is when people want to go to the river and they have a 22ft limitation. DNR sits at the dock on the weekends waiting for people also.....LAME I think the 22 is the sweet spot as well.

Looking at the Kaiyen measurements....23' 5" with platform + 3" on tongue length when folded....you need a minimum of 23' 8".

I would just prepare to make the garage 3ft longer and find a way to quick detach your board racks to make it under the 8ft door. Next would be buying a trailer dolly to move the boat tis the door by hand. No way I would want to back through a 106" wide door. The guide pole will probably rub if not hit the sides, if left on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJrJdhDP3W0 <--- should help get it in the garage nice a slow
Thanks guys... yeah, i don't care too much about the shop. Even with the wall down, I will have other space (its a 3 car garage) there to do shop type things. The wall being down is no biggy.

I was actually looking at the heavy-duty hand dollies for trailers myself last night on Amazon. The nice ones are about $500... no biggy. My concrete driveway is 99% flat, and it will be a lot easier to just push and pull it in or out of the garage as needed. I wasn't looking at powered ones, was lookin at manual push ones on wheels. This one looked solid to me:

https://www.amazon.com/Tow-Tuff-TMD-15002C-Heavy-Duty-Adjustable/dp/B01MSN2EWD/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=Trailer+Valet+XL+Pro&qid=1631730515&sr=8-17

Tommy2slow
09-15-2021, 02:41 PM
You will also need these if you plan to turn the trailer by hand with that hand dolly. Very difficult to turn a tandem trailer by hand. Even with these under the tires and your hand dolly this will be two person job.
https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/p/WWG11N210?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=Cj0KCQjws4aKBhDPARIsAIWH0JXwC6bZKHNe5YqSpQpY HhO47cor1snyxPQJu6CwY0wASlOeDFltD-kaAkemEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3645!3!303435838003!!!g!595806095711!&gclid=Cj0KCQjws4aKBhDPARIsAIWH0JXwC6bZKHNe5YqSpQpY HhO47cor1snyxPQJu6CwY0wASlOeDFltD-kaAkemEALw_wcB

sandm
09-15-2021, 03:28 PM
My concrete driveway is 99% flat, and it will be a lot easier to just push and pull it in or out of the garage as needed.

before you settle on this, go try and push a dual axle trailer. I could move our launch20 on a single axle somewhat easily around the garage if needed as it's single axle and a pretty light boat. our last 3 boats- tige 22ve and 2 z3's- forget about it. even straight in and out was a CHORE and only did it once. unless you have 6 teen boys to assist, doing it by hand will be very short lived imo.
the electric/gas ones seem to primarily have a weight capacity of less than 4000lbs but I would not be afraid to use it on a wakeboat approaching 6000lbs on a trailer with fuel/gear.

larry_arizona
09-15-2021, 03:45 PM
Dual axle boat trailer are a biatch to move or rotate manually.

When I store mine for winter, I tuck
It in my barn as far over from the door as I can.

I put soapy water under the tires as my son and I push the bow as close to the wall as possible.

The 4 tires and torsion suspension fight you.

CptAmerica
09-15-2021, 05:29 PM
ah.. I see. I didn't think a trailer would be that hard to move. My idea was to get the trailer 99% aligned while attached to my tow vehicle, but then park the tow vehicle and just use the hand truck to push the trailer straight in. You don't think that would work? Still too heavy? I was hoping to not spend a LOT of money on it. But I concur... 2" clearance on each side is SSUUPPEERR close.

larry_arizona
09-15-2021, 05:31 PM
ah.. I see. I didn't think a trailer would be that hard to move. My idea was to get the trailer 99% aligned while attached to my tow vehicle, but then park the tow vehicle and just use the hand truck to push the trailer straight in. You don't think that would work? Still too heavy? I was hoping to not spend a LOT of money on it. But I concur... 2" clearance on each side is SSUUPPEERR close.

Are you doing this every time you take the boat out or only once per season?

CptAmerica
09-15-2021, 06:50 PM
Are you doing this every time you take the boat out or only once per season?

That's a great question. A buddy of mine has a friend with lake property, and they leave their boats docked all summer long. I, unfortunately, am not so lucky. So my boat will come home with me every Sunday and go back in the garage. So yeah, it will be going in and out of the garage many times a year. The lake is only 1 hour away, so I predict lots of day trips, and a large handful of two-day overnight trips where I take the boat AND the camper trailer.

larry_arizona
09-15-2021, 07:47 PM
That's a great question. A buddy of mine has a friend with lake property, and they leave their boats docked all summer long. I, unfortunately, am not so lucky. So my boat will come home with me every Sunday and go back in the garage. So yeah, it will be going in and out of the garage many times a year. The lake is only 1 hour away, so I predict lots of day trips, and a large handful of two-day overnight trips where I take the boat AND the camper trailer.

Boat is 102” wide
Trailer is 102” wide with guide poles removed
Trailer is 109” wide with guide poles installed.

9’ wide door has appx a 107” net opening width.

I can back a trailer like a surgeon, but there is no way I can back a 102” trailer through a 107” net opening 100% of the time without gacking the boat/trailer.

2 to 2.5” clearance on each side isn’t much and you better be perfectly square to the door.

CptAmerica
09-15-2021, 08:48 PM
Boat is 102” wide
Trailer is 102” wide with guide poles removed
Trailer is 109” wide with guide poles installed.

9’ wide door has appx a 107” net opening width.

I can back a trailer like a surgeon, but there is no way I can back a 102” trailer through a 107” net opening 100% of the time without gacking the boat/trailer.

2 to 2.5” clearance on each side isn’t much and you better be perfectly square to the door.

106 :eek:

Hence why a trailer hand truck is looking pretty smart.

zabooda
09-15-2021, 08:50 PM
Put some cheap wifi cameras on each side and one in the back and monitor from your phone. $23 a camera. It will show the gap but monitoring from another perspective is tricky.

CptAmerica
09-15-2021, 08:55 PM
Put some cheap wifi cameras on each side and one in the back and monitor from your phone. $23 a camera. It will show the gap but monitoring from another perspective is tricky.

I will also have the wife helping me make sure we're going in straight. It certainly wont be a rush job... 1" at a time. Do you think what I am proposing shouldn't be done?

Tommy2slow
09-15-2021, 10:13 PM
Got a good marriage councillor on speed dial? lol. I’ve had a few hallmark moments with my wife guiding me in/out of the garage.

CptAmerica
09-15-2021, 11:28 PM
Got a good marriage councillor on speed dial? lol. I’ve had a few hallmark moments with my wife guiding me in/out of the garage.

Alrighty... well thanks for the help everybody. Have a great rest of the week.

Holdmybeer
09-16-2021, 07:22 AM
This thread got discouraging quickly.....come on guys you are crushing CptAmerica's dream here.

Yo got this. Knock the wall down in the shop, and you have gained the length. Get the pro tower and find or have custom built some quick disconnects for the board racks. You now can clear height and length. The 106" door is tight, and everyone is 100% correct on moving a dual axle trailer with 6,000# sitting on the wheels.

It can be done, it will be a pain in the ass, you will get tired of it. However, do you have to put it inside every time? Can you just leave it in the driveway most of the time and only back it in the garage once or twice a season? How is your garage configured? Does it have a large double door and a single 3rd bay? Can you move your car to the 3rd bay and use the bigger door to park the boat.

If you are comfortable with this, buy the boat and enjoy life.

2in2out
09-16-2021, 09:12 AM
Put a front mount receiver on your truck with the longest hitch you can find. Now you have full view to navigate through the door. Your guide poles are going to be the biggest issue. Socket on your drill to loosen the guide pole bolts. On and off in a jiffy. Lag a chock into your floor once you get the insertion length figured out and you’ll avoid pushing in to far.

Making my new SA build come true!!!

CptAmerica
09-16-2021, 11:13 AM
This thread got discouraging quickly.....come on guys you are crushing CptAmerica's dream here.

Yo got this. Knock the wall down in the shop, and you have gained the length. Get the pro tower and find or have custom built some quick disconnects for the board racks. You now can clear height and length. The 106" door is tight, and everyone is 100% correct on moving a dual axle trailer with 6,000# sitting on the wheels.

It can be done, it will be a pain in the ass, you will get tired of it. However, do you have to put it inside every time? Can you just leave it in the driveway most of the time and only back it in the garage once or twice a season? How is your garage configured? Does it have a large double door and a single 3rd bay? Can you move your car to the 3rd bay and use the bigger door to park the boat.

If you are comfortable with this, buy the boat and enjoy life.
It's alright, this kind of stuff exists on all forums. I used to run one, and it was a daunting task :D

I watched some more videos and I think the way to go is one of those over-built trailer dollies. I was watching guys push and pull big giant trailer dollies forward and backwards with only moderate force. I'm a big strong guy, didn't look difficult at all to me. Now, if i had to manuver it around a lot, taking corners and such, I might opt for a nice american made electric dolly, but they are aroudn $1,500 and I don't want to have to afford that. I think going straight back and strait out with a manual dolly will work fine. This is all concrete and 99.9% flat.

Our garage is 3 individual 9x8 doors, with about 3 feet spacing between them. So we have 3 individual bays, but the spacing between the cars IN the garage, is quite good. All cars can open their doors at the same time, and the doors just reach each other. There is probably 6 or 8 feet between the cars sitting in the bays. The door to the house, is all the way on the right most wall next to stall #1. Behind Stalls #2 and #3, is a large double door which leads to an adjacent shop as wide as bays 2 and 3, and itself is probably 20 feet deep (never measured it). I can post a picture from satalite view...

Put a front mount receiver on your truck with the longest hitch you can find. Now you have full view to navigate through the door. Your guide poles are going to be the biggest issue. Socket on your drill to loosen the guide pole bolts. On and off in a jiffy. Lag a chock into your floor once you get the insertion length figured out and you’ll avoid pushing in to far.

I didn't even know such a thing existed. I think I will try the dolly first... and from what I understand, the guide poles are wider than the garage anyway, so they certainly have to come off every time. Won't bother me in the slightest.

HFarr
09-16-2021, 11:24 AM
You could modify those guide poles to have a pin connection to remove and attach quickly.

CptAmerica
09-16-2021, 11:31 AM
Garage at the back of the house, with a big shop just behind the two bays on the left.

HFarr
09-16-2021, 11:39 AM
Yeah man, just cut half that wall out on the last bay. You could also have a door company look at modifications to the last bay door width. You may have enough space to widen it just enough to get in without taking off the guide poles. That would be an awesome permanent solution. Then when you are ready for a longer boat, because you suddenly realize your family just wants to take way to much extra stuff to the lake, you are set! [emoji38]

larry_arizona
09-16-2021, 11:40 AM
No negativity was intended in the information I shared. Just facts to help you plan.

Front hitch is a nice option for more precise backing of the trailer.

Not available for all trucks but most.

CptAmerica
09-16-2021, 11:58 AM
Yeah man, just cut half that wall out on the last bay. You could also have a door company look at modifications to the last bay door width. You may have enough space to widen it just enough to get in without taking off the guide poles. That would be an awesome permanent solution. Then when you are ready for a longer boat, because you suddenly realize your family just wants to take way to much extra stuff to the lake, you are set! [emoji38]

I think ill just take the whole wall out, which will make a huge garage. Cutting down half the wall would look wierd on the inside, and the only thing remaning would be a giant double door ... lol.

I have thought about seeing if possible to turn that last bay into a 10x8... But cutting the outside of the house is something I am hoping to avoid. cutting that hole and putting in a new garage door would be pricey.

CptAmerica
09-16-2021, 12:04 PM
No negativity was intended in the information I shared. Just facts to help you plan.

Thanks, Larry, I appreciate it. We're excited to get started. Hopefully I can get all this together (garage, boat purcahse, gear purchase, tow vehicle) before summer '22

sandm
09-16-2021, 12:21 PM
I have thought about seeing if possible to turn that last bay into a 10x8... But cutting the outside of the house is something I am hoping to avoid. cutting that hole and putting in a new garage door would be pricey.

I do have to say if it was my house/boat purchase, I would look hard at doing this if it was lap siding. stucco or brick, I'd probably shy away due to cost and something I couldn't or wouldn't want to do myself. lap is a piece of cake to modify and framing is easy. foundation would be the hardest part to cut away but a good sawcutter would take it on for a couple benjamins.

the one downside not knowing the front elevation of your pad would be having 3 doors that are not consistent. some houses would look ok, some would look silly from the street with an odd door. all personal preference.

I've seen larry's front hitch scenario in action and it's a viable solution but for us, threading a large boat into a space that tight, not sure that would afford enough adjustments as it's going in. hand dolly-no matter the propulsion-will afford more flexibility in a shorter space.

CptAmerica
09-16-2021, 12:29 PM
I do have to say if it was my house/boat purchase, I would look hard at doing this if it was lap siding. stucco or brick, I'd probably shy away due to cost and something I couldn't or wouldn't want to do myself. lap is a piece of cake to modify and framing is easy. foundation would be the hardest part to cut away but a good sawcutter would take it on for a couple benjamins.

the one downside not knowing the front elevation of your pad would be having 3 doors that are not consistent. some houses would look ok, some would look silly from the street with an odd door. all personal preference.

I've seen larry's front hitch scenario in action and it's a viable solution but for us, threading a large boat into a space that tight, not sure that would afford enough adjustments as it's going in. hand dolly-no matter the propulsion-will afford more flexibility in a shorter space.

I may call around and see if this is possible. Our house is basic wood construction with horizontal siding. I don't know much about carpentry, so it SEEMS like a bigger deal than maybe it is. Our garage is around the back of the house totally invisible from anywhere unless you go around to the back of the house. It may look kinda weird with one of the doors wider than the other, but as long as the door's styles matched, I don't think it would bea big deal. My truck currently goes in the 3rd bay and it doesn't fit with the tow mirrors out. I think 9' doors are too small by default. I think all doors should be 10x9 :D

TXSurf4
09-16-2021, 01:27 PM
I think you can totally do what you are wanting with a dolly. I wouldn't let anything stop me in you position. If you want the boat then make it happen. That being said does your garage have a lip leading in to it or is it level all the way in? I know most of ours down here have an 1-1/2" tall lip oin the front of them.

2in2out
09-16-2021, 01:36 PM
I know most of ours down here have an 1-1/2" tall lip oin the front of them.

Can you explain why? I asked our structural inspector and foundation inspector and neither could give me a reason beyond water and pest penetration.

The house we just bought has a 20 degree slope to the driveway away from the house, so renders water penetration idea useless and curb that is pure annoyance.

Holdmybeer
09-16-2021, 01:42 PM
Can you explain why? I asked our structural inspector and foundation inspector and neither could give me a reason beyond water and pest penetration.

The house we just bought has a 20 degree slope to the driveway away from the house, so renders water penetration idea useless and curb that is pure annoyance.

In the northern states, it keeps out wind, blowing snow, pest, and rain. The water won't run up hill into the garage but when it is falling sideways it can easy blow through the rubber seal at the bottom of the door. Mine in my garage and my barn are only 3/4" but it does that same thing. The bigger lips are mostly just because of the framing work from the contractor. In Texas, I could imagine sand and dust being a large issue also.

As for the OP, I would focus on getting the wall down so the boat fits, working out a tow vehicle, and most important, getting a build slot. Then figure it all out later. The dolly (manual or electric) will work for a season or 2. Then decide if cutting on the house is necessary.

TXSurf4
09-16-2021, 01:45 PM

Nope. I just know most of the houses have it.

TXSurf4
09-16-2021, 01:51 PM
In the northern states, it keeps out wind, blowing snow, pest, and rain. The water won't run up hill into the garage but when it is falling sideways it can easy blow through the rubber seal at the bottom of the door. Mine in my garage and my barn are only 3/4" but it does that same thing. The bigger lips are mostly just because of the framing work from the contractor. In Texas, I could imagine sand and dust being a large issue also.

As for the OP, I would focus on getting the wall down so the boat fits, working out a tow vehicle, and most important, getting a build slot. Then figure it all out later. The dolly (manual or electric) will work for a season or 2. Then decide if cutting on the house is necessary.

Ya I agree. Only reason I asked is because that little lip could make a manual dolly quite difficult.

CptAmerica
09-16-2021, 01:57 PM
I think you can totally do what you are wanting with a dolly. I wouldn't let anything stop me in you position. If you want the boat then make it happen. That being said does your garage have a lip leading in to it or is it level all the way in? I know most of ours down here have an 1-1/2" tall lip oin the front of them.

Tiny little lip.. maybe 1/2"

CptAmerica
09-16-2021, 01:58 PM

This sounds right to me.

rhouse181
09-16-2021, 02:11 PM
I may call around and see if this is possible. Our house is basic wood construction with horizontal siding. I don't know much about carpentry, so it SEEMS like a bigger deal than maybe it is. Our garage is around the back of the house totally invisible from anywhere unless you go around to the back of the house. It may look kinda weird with one of the doors wider than the other, but as long as the door's styles matched, I don't think it would bea big deal. My truck currently goes in the 3rd bay and it doesn't fit with the tow mirrors out. I think 9' doors are too small by default. I think all doors should be 10x9 :D

Boat ownership is a slippery slope of all these things you never realized you needed... the "life upgrade" cost doesn't typically get layered on top of the boat purchase!

To be honest, getting a wider and taller door framed from the get go will save you massive headaches in the long run. While it sounds fun dollying your boat + trailer around and spending 45 mins fitting through with less than an inch of clearance, it will be the last thing you want to do after you are exhausted after spending a weekend on the water drinking beer and surfing.

Minimize risk for house / boat / human injury and pull the trigger on a new door :cool:

korey
09-16-2021, 02:40 PM
My 8' door debacle was so painful because
1) I was already financially stretching to buy the boat
and
2) I had already cut up my garage and put in an 8' door (in place of the 7' door that was there). It took some custom work to get the full 8' clearance, then it was wrong by about 2 inches!

Here is a time lapse of what it took me to get the boat out every weekend that first summer:

https://www.facebook.com/12904241/videos/10105882253673410/

Pull boat out with 8 or 10" drop hitch and deflated tires
start inflating tires - I bought an inflator for use with the air compressor that would auto stop at a set pressure
while tires are inflating - stopping to switch the air chuck to the next tire as needed - unfold tower, install board racks, install trailer guide posts, load life jackets, boards, and whatever else we removed last week.
Once tires were inflated, chock wheels, uncouple from truck, swap drop hitches (using a floor jack because the tongue jack couldn't go low enough), and re-couple. Couplers were a different length and I was on a hill, so it took readjustment from the truck.

I got it down to about 25 minutes or sweat and cussing. I only hit the garage once with the rub rail at about the widest part of the boat.

My storage unit is $100/month and in the same industrial park as my office. It was a no brainer for me! I'll be picking her up on my way out of work this evening for prep to hit the road at quitting time tomorrow!

2in2out
09-16-2021, 03:20 PM
My storage unit is $100/month and in the same industrial park as my office. It was a no brainer for me! I'll be picking her up on my way out of work this evening for prep to hit the road at quitting time tomorrow!
This was my result after storing our first boat in the garage our first winter with it.

Next winter it went into storage with all the gear we were keeping in the garage.

After selling that boat and getting our last SA at the very end of season, the only storage we could find was a concierge storage facility. I’d call them up the day before and they would have the boat parked and ready next morning. They had an Indmar certified boat mechanic and shop facility. For a fee, they would completely ready your boat with fuel, ice your cooler, and even shop for your beer, drinks, and food. It was pretty baller, but I never used it. Knowing my boat was in a climate controlled and secure facility made me feel secure, and I had my driveway and curb clear.

2in2out
09-16-2021, 03:25 PM

I had to deal with blowing wind and snow in our last house that had no lip/curb in the garage and had no issues. Door faced the prevailing wind, and I would get every leaf from my neighbors tree, but no leakage. Same with the bay doors at my work. Rarely ever an issue with Sierra storms, dust, or pests.

Holdmybeer
09-16-2021, 03:34 PM
I had to deal with blowing wind and snow in our last house that had no lip/curb in the garage and had no issues. Door faced the prevailing wind, and I would get every leaf from my neighbors tree, but no leakage. Same with the bay doors at my work. Rarely ever an issue with Sierra storms, dust, or pests.

I understand completely. Did not say it was good reasoning, just the only reasoning there is.

My house garage faces west and that is the direction every storm comes from. IN the winter the crops are removed and I have 0 cover or wind block. I have never had water in the garage but I have had water inside but stopped at the lip. Snow on the other hand seems to not care. Some how no matter what I try, it makes it through the rubber bumper on the bottom of my barn door. However, it is insulated and heated so again I have water that the bump keeps contained until it drains out on its own. Every entrance I have is sloped away from the house also, but not 20*. Again, mine are not 1.5" but only 3/4".

2in2out
09-16-2021, 05:09 PM
To be honest, getting a wider and taller door framed from the get go will save you massive headaches in the long run. While it sounds fun dollying your boat + trailer around and spending 45 mins fitting through with less than an inch of clearance, it will be the last thing you want to do after you are exhausted after spending a weekend on the water drinking beer and surfing.

Minimize risk for house / boat / human injury and pull the trigger on a new door :cool:

I agree. Go taller and wider. I would do one 20’ 10 tall door and a 8/10’ door. Only helps in the resale. You can advertise it as able to store a boat, tractor, etc.

sandm
09-16-2021, 06:36 PM
I agree. Go taller and wider. I would do one 20’ 10 tall door and a 8/10’ door. Only helps in the resale. You can advertise it as able to store a boat, tractor, etc.

man. you're sure wanting to spend the OP's money :)

I would assume that will not be an option since it's an existing house and that kind of mod would run well north of 20k as a remodel IF the roofline doesn't need to be touched. mess with trusses and cost goes up exponentially. . going from a 9ft to 10ft door keeping the height at 8ft which already fits is still a chunk but much more feasable when compared to the cost of a good trailer mover and 1 trip to the dr for a back spasm.

will be interesting to see next year what the OP does. that Kaiyen is a GREAT boat.....

CptAmerica
09-16-2021, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure I can go taller, myself. The garage has 9 foot ceilings, so there is only 12" between the top of the garage door and the cieling, and that's occupied by the track for the door opener. Are there track systems that could go higher? I wonder.

TXSurf4
09-16-2021, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure I can go taller, myself. The garage has 9 foot ceilings, so there is only 12" between the top of the garage door and the cieling, and that's occupied by the track for the door opener. Are there track systems that could go higher? I wonder.

Yes they make high rise tracks for overhead doors that hug the ceiling and then you can use a wall mounted opener like this

LiftMaster 8500 Wall Mount Garage Door Opener Package https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CUQ616O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_D1Y0TPQ768VQHDEZ030R?_ encoding=UTF8&psc=1

zabooda
09-16-2021, 10:02 PM
Liftmaster and Chamberlain both have side mounts drives that also deadbolts the roller track. Pretty cool and really stout.

CptAmerica
09-16-2021, 10:07 PM
So some good news out of all this crazy stuff... confirmed with my dad (a contractor house builder) that the backwall of my garage is NOT a load bearing wall. WOOO.. so knocking it down wont cost me anything more than some drywall, mud, and paint. I think it will come down, and ill do the hand cart for one season through the 9x8 and see how it works. If it seems to laborious, I can widen the door a foot for season 2. Off to the boat dealership next week.

Tommy2slow
09-16-2021, 11:42 PM
That’s amazing. I felt so bad when It looked like I had played a part in killing your dream. You are going to love your new Moomba. My family has so many great memories on the lake. Welcome to the skiers choice family.

cucv
09-17-2021, 12:07 AM
Personally I'd skip the hand truck and save it for a bigger door. In the mean time line up your truck and trailer with the garage bay and back it in. The visibility with a hand truck sucks, best bet is lines on the floor if you go that route. The mirrors on your truck are in the perfect location to see your side clearance if you have it all in line. I keep the trailer tight to the driver's side door opening as it's easier to see and gives more clearance to the side that is tougher to see. I put a 101" trailer in a 107" door opening daily for years. My boat goes in a 107" door and I have to come into it around a corner so I'm blind on the passenger side mirror.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Holdmybeer
09-17-2021, 07:49 AM
It is $3,600 but still less expensive than all the house remodeling ideas. And you will meet plenty of new friends when they all wonder WTH you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oic-VknJ2E

HFarr
09-17-2021, 08:25 AM
It is $3,600 but still less expensive than all the house remodeling ideas. And you will meet plenty of new friends when they all wonder WTH you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oic-VknJ2ENow that's cool! I bet your kids would be better at working it than the parents would be too! And as a bonus feature, you could rent it out to swat to diffuse bombs during the winter months!!

Holdmybeer
09-17-2021, 08:48 AM
It can tow a 9,000# trailer around. I would use it around the yard for many other things also: firewood, mulch, wife's landscaping plants. Just hook up the cart and let this thing pull it around instead of my back. Kids might even help work!!!

TXSurf4
09-17-2021, 09:28 AM
.......and problem solved! That thing is sweet!!! I want one and don't even need it.

Tommy2slow
09-17-2021, 12:26 PM
Holdmybeer, that might be the best idea I have ever seen. Had a stupid ear to ear grin watching the video. My wife had to ask what I was watching lol. I’m getting one!

HFarr
09-17-2021, 12:40 PM
.......and problem solved! That thing is sweet!!! I want one and don't even need it.LoL! That is exactly what I was thinking too! I don't need one, but could see myself just driving it around the yard pulling stuff! Maybe someone can make a little tugboat version I could use to pull my boat into the slip!!

Holdmybeer
09-17-2021, 12:49 PM
Holdmybeer, that might be the best idea I have ever seen. Had a stupid ear to ear grin watching the video. My wife had to ask what I was watching lol. I’m getting one!

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I have been trying to justify buying one for the past 5 hours.....

Holdmybeer
09-17-2021, 12:57 PM
Maybe someone can make a little tugboat version I could use to pull my boat into the slip!!

You need thrusters!!! There I said it

larry_arizona
09-17-2021, 12:58 PM
You need thrusters!!! There I said it

[emoji23]

sandm
09-17-2021, 01:09 PM
.......and problem solved! That thing is sweet!!! I want one and don't even need it.

that thing is pretty badass. honestly the OP is going to be that cost in a new door/framing and any clean up labor. I'd buy that before cutting up the house and IF ever sell the house or boat, recoup part of the cost out of that thing as he won't recoup ANY of the remodel costs for a slightly wider door at house sale....

HFarr
09-17-2021, 01:10 PM
You need thrusters!!! There I said itI was just thinking that thing should be called "The Trailer Thruster". Also just came across this video. Was this posted by our same Holdmybeer?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210917/8142f468a00e081656ba5e31d9777773.jpg

Holdmybeer
09-17-2021, 01:18 PM
Unfortunately, I will never be that "awesome". And no I am not that guy.

As a person that has done my fair share of street racing, doing it in daylight on a busy road is stupid.
As an Electrical Engineer (like many of my fellow engineers on this site), racing a dual motor eV is the dumbest thing you can do unless you have 2x the HP of the eV.
Literally will never win unless it runs out of charge.

larry_arizona
09-17-2021, 02:19 PM
Unfortunately, I will never be that "awesome". And no I am not that guy.

As a person that has done my fair share of street racing, doing it in daylight on a busy road is stupid.
As an Electrical Engineer (like many of my fellow engineers on this site), racing a dual motor eV is the dumbest thing you can do unless you have 2x the HP of the eV.
Literally will never win unless it runs out of charge.

EV’s have killed racing. Nothing more boring than a Tesla plaid running a 9.0 1/4 mile.

Takes ZERO talent or skill.

Holdmybeer
09-17-2021, 02:34 PM
EV’s have killed racing. Nothing more boring than a Tesla plaid running a 9.0 1/4 mile.

I agree no talent is needed, but I would not call it boring if you are the driver.
Rimac Concept Two or Nio EP9 would be 2 eV's I wouldn't turn down, but I will agree nothing beats that gas fueled noise of combustion.

Going big time off topic here, so to sum up to OP. There is some very cool tech that can solve your problem. Buy the boat, make awesome memories. Share videos of your remote controlled trailer mover to make us all jealous, and don't cut your house.

Problem solved!!!

larry_arizona
09-17-2021, 02:37 PM
Back on topic…..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210917/b7d5f2559c01524e76cf6a813908a556.jpg

Holdmybeer
09-17-2021, 02:53 PM
LMAO.....Enjoy the weekend fellas
Trying to hit the lake here in Ohio as many times as I can before the dreaded W-word shows up.

CptAmerica - We all expect pictures once you get the Kayien. I feel invested now....LOL

sandm
09-17-2021, 07:07 PM

I can smoke tesla plaids all day long in our camaro......
the 15 minutes it takes for that car to get into "cheetah stance", I'll be done, up the return road, timeslip in hand and ready to go again :)

it's impressive that it can rip off a 9sec timeslip but it takes forever to do it and after a few runs, you're taking a flatbed home while the rest of us drive.

fortunately plaids are banned at nhra tracks so it's all good.

HFarr
09-17-2021, 11:06 PM
I will see if I can find the actual link to that Camero vs tesla video. It's funny. They guy in the camero is trying to get the Tesla to race him. When the Tesla driver won't do it, Camero gets pissed and just floors it. He obviously has done some serious mods, or has NOS, because he breaks the tires loose at about 15-20 mph and looses control. Crosses several lanes, spins around and jumps the curb backwards.

https://youtu.be/dFUpG33QbNs

sandm
09-18-2021, 10:42 AM
I will see if I can find the actual link to that Camero vs tesla video. It's funny. They guy in the camero is trying to get the Tesla to race him. When the Tesla driver won't do it, Camero gets pissed and just floors it. He obviously has done some serious mods, or has NOS, because he breaks the tires loose at about 15-20 mph and looses control. Crosses several lanes, spins around and jumps the curb backwards.

https://youtu.be/dFUpG33QbNs

haha. that's pretty good.
guy at work just picked up a new model 3. not impressed at all. fit/finish is kinda weak. neighbor behind me has a deposit on a launch edition rivian that is supposed to deliver in october. I AM waiting for him to get that thing. it's very intriguing especially for a retired couple that likes to travel since their other car is a '21 c8.

CptAmerica
09-20-2021, 05:23 PM
LMAO.....Enjoy the weekend fellas
Trying to hit the lake here in Ohio as many times as I can before the dreaded W-word shows up.

CptAmerica - We all expect pictures once you get the Kayien. I feel invested now....LOL
Will do. I called my guys today at NWinboards, and unfortunately they are long sold out of 2022 build slips. And there isn't a single used Craz within 1000 miles. A little bummed. So I can either hunt for some other used boat that will fit inside 95", or wait for the 2023 season :|

The good news is that the deposit is refundable if I find the perfect used boat before it's time to place the actual order. So I will be doing that today.

sandm
09-20-2021, 07:17 PM
if they are out of build slots, then you should be able to order from a different dealer? skiers choice territories are kinda funny that way but never hurts to ask since your dealer can't service you.
if so, reach out to prestige boats in boise. I bought my first tige from them and my cousin has bought several tiges and now has a build slot for a new SL. Tyrell is a great guy to deal with although he would likely push you to Chad. they are a great dealer and not a bad drive.
the skiers dealer in portland is HUGE and a great shop as well. know a couple that bought boats from them as well.

if you decide to go used, all winter to search out the perfect boat. there are a lot of solid surf boats that will fit in an 8ft door. our tige 22ve, z3 and r23 did.

Jefmad
09-20-2021, 09:08 PM
That sounds weird. I ordered a Craz 3 weeks ago and have an October build. My dealer expected a Feb build.

larry_arizona
09-20-2021, 09:10 PM
That sounds weird. I ordered a Craz 3 weeks ago and have an October build. My dealer expected a Feb build.

Many dealers have sold all their allotted build slots. My dealer sold all their Supra slots before the 22’s were announced.

sandm
09-20-2021, 09:16 PM
I would suspect that moomba slots are a little tough to come by.
supra slots are around if you look for them. some dealers sold out, some not even close.

larry_arizona
09-20-2021, 09:18 PM
I would suspect that moomba slots are a little tough to come by.
supra slots are around if you look for them. some dealers sold out, some not even close.

My dealer sells out Supras before moombas, that said they are nearly sold out of moombas for 22.

CptAmerica
09-20-2021, 09:50 PM
if they are out of build slots, then you should be able to order from a different dealer? skiers choice territories are kinda funny that way but never hurts to ask since your dealer can't service you.
if so, reach out to prestige boats in boise. I bought my first tige from them and my cousin has bought several tiges and now has a build slot for a new SL. Tyrell is a great guy to deal with although he would likely push you to Chad. they are a great dealer and not a bad drive.
the skiers dealer in portland is HUGE and a great shop as well. know a couple that bought boats from them as well.

if you decide to go used, all winter to search out the perfect boat. there are a lot of solid surf boats that will fit in an 8ft door. our tige 22ve, z3 and r23 did.

I suppose so. I guess the reason I wanted to go with NWinboards, is they are 2 hours away (by far the closest). Everybody else is 4? 5? 10? I thought it would be a good idea to build a relationship with a close dealership. I'll research some other dealers that maybe aren't as close and see what I can find. Thanks for the tip. My heart sunk a little when he told me they were sold out already :|

Holdmybeer
09-20-2021, 09:53 PM
Will do. I called my guys today at NWinboards, and unfortunately they are long sold out of 2022 build slips. And there isn't a single used Craz within 1000 miles. A little bummed. So I can either hunt for some other used boat that will fit inside 95", or wait for the 2023 season :|

The good news is that the deposit is refundable if I find the perfect used boat before it's time to place the actual order. So I will be doing that today.

Where are you located? Dealers in Ohio are sold out but Kentucky is not. Like sandm said, skiers will break territory if your local cannot sell you 1.

sandm
09-20-2021, 10:57 PM
having a relationship with a dealer is good only if they have product to sell you. fwiw, we bought our supra from a dealer in spokane as the dealer in nampa at the time didn't really want our business(granted back in 07). when service and warranty work came, we got right in as I had bought a few toys from the dealer and got to know the service manager. he completely understood that they didn't have a boat that fit our need and were happy to take the warranty and service work...

CptAmerica
09-20-2021, 11:11 PM
Where are you located? Dealers in Ohio are sold out but Kentucky is not. Like sandm said, skiers will break territory if your local cannot sell you 1.

Olympic Peninsula, WA state.

2in2out
09-21-2021, 09:08 AM
I 2nd SandM on Prestige in Boise. They bent over backwards to help us do the warranty transfer when we bought our last SA private party. I’ve talked to chad numerous times, and will be talking to him this week. There floor is empty, so I would act fast. They can also ship to you if you don’t want to make the drive.

CptAmerica
10-10-2021, 04:33 PM
Quick question for you Kaiyen, Craz owners (or similar) what kind of tongue weight are you guys seeing on your trailers?

Holdmybeer
10-11-2021, 09:27 AM
Quick question for you Kaiyen, Craz owners (or similar) what kind of tongue weight are you guys seeing on your trailers?

Skiers and Boatmate are really good about not being more than 10% of total weight including fluids (oils, gas, etc.). Gear, left over water weight in ballast, and lead are up the owner to remove or organize so that tongue weight and operating weight doesn't exceed the limits.

FYI....I leave my 500lbs of lead in the boat along with the boards and ropes. Never had a problem but the lead is spread out and I did upgrade to D-rated tires for peace of mind.

sandm
10-11-2021, 09:43 AM
our last 2 trailers were boatmate although had tige's sitting on them. one on 18's and one on 14's. both had a 23ft z3 and 1000lbs of lead on top of gear/fuel. both towed behind my '16 silverado 1500 with no issues at all. had a little squat but nothing real noticeable. I think our old supra lanuch20ssv squatted more than the heavier z3's but it was on a single axle.

boatmate builds a solid hauler....

2in2out
10-11-2021, 02:12 PM
We rolled our 20 SA with 900 of lead and usual gear weight behind my 17 Tundra. Any sag or lag in performance was because of the poor towing design of the tundra itself. Boatmate trailer on 15’s never flinched.