PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat Scratches

jordankmc
09-10-2021, 09:42 PM
I got a couple scratches in my gel coat today from a wakeboard bumping into the transom above the swim platform(careless guests). What is the best way to get rid of these? I'm new to any sort of finishing/polishing/buffing so I'll take advice on any specific products or polishers used. How do you tell if a scratch is bad enough to need sandpaper? Obviously looking for a way to get rid of the scratch without then having to polish the whole boat to make it look consistent again. Scratch is not bad enough to be able to feel it with my hand, but any scratch on blue gel coat is white and very visible. Thanks for your help.

brad460
09-11-2021, 10:54 AM
I remove scratches with a 1500 grit sponge wet sand followed by a scratch remover wax compound, then lastly a polishing wax and buff.

If your nervous doing this, find an area under the boat or somewhere out of sight that has a small scratch and practice using this process. Once comfortable move on to the more obvious areas..

996scott
09-11-2021, 12:17 PM
For heavier scratches

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AY4YX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For lighter scratches

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXMDP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Start with the least aggressive first (the polish) and see if it will buff out. If it doesn't come out, use the compound and once the scratch is gone using the compound, go over it with the polish.

CptAmerica
09-15-2021, 06:58 PM
I would never ever ever start with sandpaper. The rule of polishing is ALWAYS start with the least abbrasive needed to do the job. The problem, is you don't know how abbrasive you need until you try. Harmless first step would be a hand polish using any decent "finish polish". It's a liquid, like a wax. If that doesn't do it, you go to the next polish with more cutting power. Maybe a light or medium cut. Once you find the level that starts to take the scratch out, you go BACK the way you came back to the lighter cutting polishes. So, you go back to the final polish... then back to your wax/sealer. Don't start with 1,500 sandpaper.

jcarter20
09-17-2021, 05:33 PM
That is the worst area for scratches. I ended up custom making a kick pad through Gator step to hide the scratches I had and prevent new ones. I don’t have a pic of it, but I will get one and post. Well worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcarter20
09-17-2021, 11:33 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210918/65239e317f7a0d553c2544870ca9faee.jpg
It is hard to see here, but I got black on black so that it blended in. I guess I achieved that goal. [emoji23]. If you zoom in you can see I matched the pattern of the swim platform.

brad460
09-18-2021, 08:54 AM
I would never ever ever start with sandpaper. The rule of polishing is ALWAYS start with the least abbrasive needed to do the job. The problem, is you don't know how abbrasive you need until you try. Harmless first step would be a hand polish using any decent "finish polish". It's a liquid, like a wax. If that doesn't do it, you go to the next polish with more cutting power. Maybe a light or medium cut. Once you find the level that starts to take the scratch out, you go BACK the way you came back to the lighter cutting polishes. So, you go back to the final polish... then back to your wax/sealer. Don't start with 1,500 sandpaper.

Assuming the OP wouldn’t be asking about light scratches that would come out with a cutting compound….that is common sense.

I assumed he is asking how to fix deeper scratches that do require some light wet sanding with a high grit sponge.

But agree- If the scratches are light enough just use a cutting compound then polish.

sandm
09-18-2021, 10:44 AM
boat manuf. should offer paint protection film on the rear transom as an option. for a couple hundred, I'd choose that option all day long and with all the crap removed on the transom, it would be a very simple install. every boat we have owned has had a few scuffs on the back from boards and/or bindings.

larry_arizona
09-18-2021, 11:00 AM
boat manuf. should offer paint protection film on the rear transom as an option. for a couple hundred, I'd choose that option all day long and with all the crap removed on the transom, it would be a very simple install. every boat we have owned has had a few scuffs on the back from boards and/or bindings.

PPF would be my choice for transom as well as bow roller contact area.

russellsmojo
09-19-2021, 02:07 PM
PPF would be my choice for transom as well as bow roller contact area.

For real on the bow roller area! The SA just loves to get scuff marks around that area!

eder10986
09-19-2021, 03:25 PM
For real on the bow roller area! The SA just loves to get scuff marks around that area!

For real! Mine is orange half the time and our gel there is white! Been thinking about one of those protectors that go around the bow eye but they’re hideous [emoji23]

Any recs?

Isaguel
09-19-2021, 06:00 PM
Do not pay 200$ for dealer install protection film. Get this:

https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Protection-Choose-Including-Detailer/dp/B01M0XK3JD/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2D3X9HRU631W0&dchild=1&keywords=3m%2Bfilm%2Bprotection%2Bfor%2Bcars&qid=1632076387&sprefix=3m%2Bfilm%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-7&th=1

Easy to cut to size and shape.

ALso , to tell if its a scratch that needs repair vs a surface scuff that can be buffed, spray water, if it disappears u can buff it out, if it does not you will need gel coat work.

russellsmojo
09-19-2021, 09:26 PM
For real! Mine is orange half the time and our gel there is white! Been thinking about one of those protectors that go around the bow eye but they’re hideous [emoji23]

Any recs?

I have thought about replacing the roller. Mine is 5 years old so probably doesn’t roll good and the rubber is probably broken down. The problem is I only think about it for about 30 seconds at the ramp [emoji1787]

CptAmerica
09-22-2021, 03:46 PM
I have thought about replacing the roller. Mine is 5 years old so probably doesn’t roll good and the rubber is probably broken down. The problem is I only think about it for about 30 seconds at the ramp [emoji1787]

How would one get access to the part of the hull that the front roller makes contact with? In the water... nope. On the trailer? Nope. Is there a trick to getting under the front stop or the bunks to apply a film like that? (sorry, new to this stuff)

larry_arizona
09-22-2021, 03:48 PM
How would one get access to the part of the hull that the front roller makes contact with? In the water... nope. On the trailer? Nope. Is there a trick to getting under the front stop or the bunks to apply a film like that? (sorry, new to this stuff)

If I wanted access to the bow eye area.

1)Just load boat short of the bow roller
2)you could do it in the water/dock. Bow eye is well above water line.