PDA

View Full Version : Tach not working

98outback
04-30-2007, 07:34 AM
I have checked all of the wiring on the back of the tach and it is still not working. I have a 98 outback with the 350 carb. This tach has the digital hour meter on it which is still working. Any advice? Where should I check on the engine to make sure all wires are connected there? Thanks

98outback
04-30-2007, 09:27 PM
here is a link to some pictures. The black wire coming off of the thing where the spark plug wires are connected came off. Here is a link to the pictures. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558875492uBRdSh?vhost=good-times where should I connect it back to?

98outback
05-02-2007, 09:04 PM
look on the link and there is a better picture now. The black wire with the arrow poiting is the wire in question. The connector shows A B C D. The black wire is coming out of the B and the white wire is coming out of the c and back into the d. Where should the black wire hook. I believe this has something to do with my tach not working. I have looked for a place this wire may have come in hooked from and have not found anything. Please help. Also is there a way to test the tach to see if it is infact the tact.

98outback
05-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Just thought I would post this to help someone else out. If your tach is not working take a volt meter and put the positive lead on the grey wire coming off the back of the tach. Ground the other lead and turn power on to the boat. You should have voltage. Now start the boat and put it in neutral and give it some gas to rev up the rpms and the voltage should go up. If it does your tach is bad. If it shows no voltage then you have another problem.

Catdog1
05-12-2007, 07:00 AM
Thanks, my tach isn't working well and hasn't for some time. Will check using this method.;