PDA

View Full Version : Buying a boat in 2021

llack64
09-05-2021, 07:33 PM
Bit of a long one here but, I'm just looking for some insight on whether it's worth it to order a boat right now for next summer, and if I were to order a boat what direction should I go I am looking to spend >120k and I have not been able to look at many boats due to the shortages, I have looked at a Malibu 23mxz(out of my price range) and a MasterCraft nxt24, although I do have interest in the makai and the tige z3. Thanks, would love some insight.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

HFarr
09-05-2021, 08:53 PM
A moomba gives you the most options for your money in my opinion. Where are you at in the country?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

llack64
09-05-2021, 08:55 PM
A moomba gives you the most options for your money in my opinion. Where are you at in the country?

Sent from my SM-G781V using TapatalkMinnesota, we spec'd a moomba at a local dealership but it's hard to tell if you will like a boat if you can't see it in person.

Ralphy
09-05-2021, 10:56 PM
Recently shopped boats and considered a Tige. Moomba will without a question give you the most bang for your buck ,build quality is solid, and as mentioned above lots of features. Tige is a nicer boat which slots between Moomba and Supra in terms of fit, finish and MSRP.
Macai will feel huge inside in comparison to the Tige, however Tige has a better surf system.
Both great boats and great choices. It's all about - what's your flavor?

llack64
09-05-2021, 11:24 PM
Recently shopped boats and considered a Tige. Moomba will without a question give you the most bang for your buck ,build quality is solid, and as mentioned above lots of features. Tige is a nicer boat which slots between Moomba and Supra in terms of fit, finish and MSRP.
Macai will feel huge inside in comparison to the Tige, however Tige has a better surf system.
Both great boats and great choices. It's all about - what's your flavor?What do you think of going with something a little higher end with low hours, in Minnesota there is a 7% boat tax and it would save me money possibly to buy something private party.

Schlanseay
09-06-2021, 12:18 AM
Where are you in MN? The local Tige dealer in the twin cities has really bad reputation (old neighbor used to work there) and know two families who purchased from them. We were in your same situation and hopped into a 21 Kaiyen from Midwest and are really happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

llack64
09-06-2021, 12:39 AM
Where are you in MN? The local Tige dealer in the twin cities has really bad reputation (old neighbor used to work there) and know two families who purchased from them. We were in your same situation and hopped into a 21 Kaiyen from Midwest and are really happy!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'm from Woodbury, haven't stopped by the tige dealership but we did talk to one of the salesman at Midwest MasterCraft and we spec'd a few boats, we were sitting around 120 for a Makai and 123 for a nxt24.

Ralphy
09-06-2021, 08:04 AM
The Makai is a better boat than the NXT in my opinion, in every single aspect when you compare them.

Schlanseay
09-06-2021, 08:13 AM
I'm from Woodbury, haven't stopped by the tige dealership but we did talk to one of the salesman at Midwest MasterCraft and we spec'd a few boats, we were sitting around 120 for a Makai and 123 for a nxt24.

Got ya, before we purchased we sat on an NXT and a Kaiyen. The Kaiyen for and finish was nicer in our opinion for equal or less money. It’s the creature comforts like phone holders for the crew by the cup holders, 7” Color screen, standard Gatorstep I read of carpeting, rear compartment trays above the bags, curved back rests on the corners and more standard ballast.

What is your hesitation ordering this fall for next year?
Did you price a Mojo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HFarr
09-06-2021, 09:13 AM
We looked at the NXT too. Way too stripped down for the money they ask.

llack64
09-06-2021, 10:19 AM
Got ya, before we purchased we sat on an NXT and a Kaiyen. The Kaiyen for and finish was nicer in our opinion for equal or less money. It’s the creature comforts like phone holders for the crew by the cup holders, 7” Color screen, standard Gatorstep I read of carpeting, rear compartment trays above the bags, curved back rests on the corners and more standard ballast.

What is your hesitation ordering this fall for next year?
Did you price a Mojo?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah the makai we spec'd was basically fully loaded with every option where as the next had little to no options, most of the hesitation is due to the current market and the fact that boats are marked up and we are considering just waiting it out but we don't know how long this market will last at these high prices. Although we will be making a decision soon because the dealer had only 2 makai build slots left, also I will send a picture of the build sheets.

llack64
09-06-2021, 10:26 AM
Yeah the makai we spec'd was basically fully loaded with every option where as the next had little to no options, most of the hesitation is due to the current market and the fact that boats are marked up and we are considering just waiting it out but we don't know how long this market will last at these high prices. Although we will be making a decision soon because the dealer had only 2 makai build slots left, also I will send a picture of the build sheets.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using TapatalkHere is what we came up with.3002430025

sandm
09-06-2021, 10:35 AM
comparing the makai to a z3 is an interesting comparo. pricewise the z3 is likely to be 20k over the makai depending on dealers.
I wouldn't touch an nxt if it was my coin but that's my .02. they are overpriced and typically optioned less than competing boats for similar pricing.

if you are shopping tige, hope you visited heinens. we bought our last 2020 r23 from them. they are a GREAT dealer to work with. we had our boat transported to vegas and not sure if all their deals are this way but we only paid an $800 assembly fee and $200 in doc fees. the ONLY other fees were tax for nevada and transport to move from mn to nv. some dealers are charging thousands to prep and ppwk a boat so make sure and ask. I know that the other fees being charged by some dealers are/were baked into the price or discount in our boat but we still saw 25% discount off msrp on the boat. their pricing is extremely competitive and right now, if they have it in stock, they will be ready to move it.

llack64
09-06-2021, 10:40 AM
comparing the makai to a z3 is an interesting comparo. pricewise the z3 is likely to be 20k over the makai depending on dealers.
I wouldn't touch an nxt if it was my coin but that's my .02. they are overpriced and typically optioned less than competing boats for similar pricing.

if you are shopping tige, hope you visited heinens. we bought our last 2020 r23 from them. they are a GREAT dealer to work with. we had our boat transported to vegas and not sure if all their deals are this way but we only paid an $800 assembly fee and $200 in doc fees. the ONLY other fees were tax for nevada and transport to move from mn to nv. some dealers are charging thousands to prep and ppwk a boat so make sure and ask. I know that the other fees being charged by some dealers are/were baked into the price or discount in our boat but we still saw 25% discount off msrp on the boat. their pricing is extremely competitive and right now, if they have it in stock, they will be ready to move it.The z3 we are going to look at is 126k and it is at heinen's, the only thing we don't like about it from the pictures is the lack of a picklefork bow.

Bigs28
09-06-2021, 10:42 AM
As far as buying a boat in this market and spending the amount of money they cost. My opinion is that even if i lose every dollar of the price i paid, the memories of watching my now 6 year old surfing, wakeboarding, and tubing is the greatest return on any investment ive made.

sandm
09-06-2021, 10:49 AM
The z3 we are going to look at is 126k and it is at heinen's, the only thing we don't like about it from the pictures is the lack of a picklefork bow.

z3 is a conventional bow not pickle. betting if they know you are shopping skiers choice and with it being sept, they will come down. will still be 10k+ over a makai. even this late in the season. new hull. my cousin surfed one in boise and said it's a great boat compared to his 23zx he just sold.

personally, if it was my money, I'd be waiting for spring to see what happens to the world. onlyinboards has gone from 1800 to 2300 in the last 3 weeks. granted it's fall but it seems to be pointing toward a downtrend in the wakeboat market and my gut is there will be some relief on pricing in the spring. would be interesting to see how many have deposits on boats right now and by spring are moving to a lightly used '21 or '22.

llack64
09-06-2021, 10:59 AM
z3 is a conventional bow not pickle. betting if they know you are shopping skiers choice and with it being sept, they will come down. will still be 10k+ over a makai. even this late in the season. new hull. my cousin surfed one in boise and said it's a great boat compared to his 23zx he just sold.

personally, if it was my money, I'd be waiting for spring to see what happens to the world. onlyinboards has gone from 1800 to 2300 in the last 3 weeks. granted it's fall but it seems to be pointing toward a downtrend in the wakeboat market and my gut is there will be some relief on pricing in the spring. would be interesting to see how many have deposits on boats right now and by spring are moving to a lightly used '21 or '22.The issue with waiting is that since there is only two makai build slots left, one for January/February and one for July we would be ordering a 2023 and it most likely wouldn't show up till the end of summer and living in Minnesota we get 3 months for boating.

HFarr
09-06-2021, 11:01 AM
What kind of board racks are in that NXT? I know it says swivel, but are they standard bungee style roswell? The Triton racks you selected on the Makai are worth a few thousand upgrade more added on top of the NXT to make them equal if they are not included.

llack64
09-06-2021, 11:03 AM
What kind of board racks are in that NXT? I know it says swivel, but are they standard bungee style roswell? The Triton racks you selected on the Makai are worth a few thousand upgrade more added on top of the NXT to make them equal if they are not included.

Sent from my SM-G781V using TapatalkNot sure on the board racks, to my knowledge there isn't a factory upgrade option on them so I'm assuming they are just bungee.

HFarr
09-06-2021, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't get hung up on a pickle fork style. Look at the width and length of the bow seating. MOOMBA IS A WIDE bow area without having a pickle fork look.

llack64
09-06-2021, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't get hung up on a pickle fork style. Look at the width and length of the bow seating. MOOMBA IS A WIDE bow area without having a pickle fork look.

Sent from my SM-G781V using TapatalkYeah it's not really about the look, we just really like the space in the picklefork bow vs a standard bow, we are coming from a Tahoe deck boat so space in the front is a big priority.

HFarr
09-06-2021, 11:12 AM
I completely understand that. It was important to us too. I think when pickle fork styles started, it was to expand the width of the bows. Manufacturers are also making the width without the picklefork look too. Much like the Tahoe and other Deck style boats do. That was really my point. It just depends on which mfg you go with.

sandm
09-06-2021, 11:19 AM
The issue with waiting is that since there is only two makai build slots left, one for January/February and one for July we would be ordering a 2023 and it most likely wouldn't show up till the end of summer and living in Minnesota we get 3 months for boating.

ya, we lived in green bay for 4 years boating on the fox so get the short season. we rode from may to sept until everyone swapped from boardshorts to camo :)

it would all depend on the deal whether or not we would wait. if you are paying msrp, no discounts AND several grand in dealer fees on top, for us playing the waiting game would be in our cards. unless ordering the exact boat with exact options is important, for us we have owned 3 new dealer stock and 1 used and were always able to find very close to what we wanted in stock.
not huge money but have seen a few post up on here no discounts and 4k in dealer fees makes a boat about 10k more than someone else paying less fees and getting what was historically moomba's 6-7% discount all dealer profit and upside down that much longer should resale be on the mind in a few years.
that conversation with the dealer would be the final for us signing or waiting. there are a few signs that the market COULD turn a little in '22 but it's all a gamble.

brad460
09-06-2021, 01:57 PM
As far as buying a boat in this market and spending the amount of money they cost. My opinion is that even if i lose every dollar of the price i paid, the memories of watching my now 6 year old surfing, wakeboarding, and tubing is the greatest return on any investment ive made.

I always kind of laugh when I read these type of making memories posts..

Memories of: dad yelling at mom while launching the boat…dad yelling at the kids for dropping chips all over the seats and floor…yelling at kids/mom while docking the boat…yelling at the kids because after 2 mins in the tube they want to be done…

Memories of being the only one to clean up the boat after a day on the lake…

And on and on..:lol:

HFarr
09-06-2021, 03:01 PM

Memories of: dad yelling at mom while launching the boat…dad yelling at the kids for dropping chips all over the seats and floor…yelling at kids/mom while docking the boat…yelling at the kids because after 2 mins in the tube they want to be done…

And on and on..[emoji38]LOL. That is always going to be the case by the end of any vacation too! Even a trip to Disney World! [emoji2]

sandm
09-06-2021, 06:13 PM

And on and on..:lol:

this was my laugh for the day!! thx for that :)

Jason1975
09-07-2021, 08:48 AM
The NXT really isn't a boat i would consider. Its a bare bones stripped down version of Mastercraft that carries a higher price tag than it should that is for sure. there are some very weird things about it too. I came from MC so naturally i looked at the NXT in depth before i bought my Moomba. You will get a nicer boat in Moomba IMO. Looked at Tige too. Dealer support was an issue with the brand for me in my area. Only one dealer 4 hours from where i keep my boat. Moomba checked all the boxes for me. Like the looks of the Malibu line but recent years the quality seems to be fading. Axis? not a chance. they seem to have the quality of a 2nd grade art project.

the only thing you MUST do with the moomba is add more weight. they do NOT surf right out of the box even with upgraded ballasts unless you go HUGE and sometimes dealers won't do it for you because of liability or at least that's what i as told. So i added 500 lbs of lead and now i can surf with no issues. All that being said moomba's need weight just like every boat, but maybe a bit more than the others.

HFarr
09-07-2021, 09:11 AM
The NXT really isn't a boat i would consider. Its a bare bones stripped down version of Mastercraft that carries a higher price tag than it should that is for sure. there are some very weird things about it too. I came from MC so naturally i looked at the NXT in depth before i bought my Moomba. You will get a nicer boat in Moomba IMO. Looked at Tige too. Dealer support was an issue with the brand for me in my area. Only one dealer 4 hours from where i keep my boat. Moomba checked all the boxes for me. Like the looks of the Malibu line but recent years the quality seems to be fading. Axis? not a chance. they seem to have the quality of a 2nd grade art project.

the only thing you MUST do with the moomba is add more weight. they do NOT surf right out of the box even with upgraded ballasts unless you go HUGE and sometimes dealers won't do it for you because of liability or at least that's what i as told. So i added 500 lbs of lead and now i can surf with no issues. All that being said moomba's need weight just like every boat, but maybe a bit more than the others.Jason, what boat do you have? I am getting a good wave out of my stock 2021 Makai with only 3 in boat and 1 surfing. When I have 7 or more in the boat it is really good. More than that and it gets even better. Could I add some lead and get even better? Yes, I am sure, and probably will do that. But I can get a good stock wave that is surfable by all my teenage and college age kids and friends

Ralphy
09-07-2021, 09:33 AM
Everyone's definition of stock wave is different. All Moombas are all surfable out of the box, but ride on Supra hulls designed for heavier boats.. Now, I assume that your Makai being a 24.5 ft probably doesn't need much more.. Our kids (16 and 20) were able to surf the Mondo stock, but only within 10 ft of the boat. No room for tricks. 850 #'s if lead and problem fixed. (Total weight of boat ~ 9500 #'s.
Now, since we upgraded to heavier 5K boat with 5K ballast, they are able to surf 25ft behind the boat. Picture below my son surfing yesterday with 2 people on board. He's 5'11

Jason1975
09-07-2021, 11:04 AM
Jason, what boat do you have? I am getting a good wave out of my stock 2021 Makai with only 3 in boat and 1 surfing. When I have 7 or more in the boat it is really good. More than that and it gets even better. Could I add some lead and get even better? Yes, I am sure, and probably will do that. But I can get a good stock wave that is surfable by all my teenage and college age kids and friends

I have a Mondo. The dealer only gave me the option for 750lb sacs in the rear lockers. You need 900's to surf stock IMO. At 6' 200lbs the stock wave without lead was tough unless i was damn near on the swim platform. So i bought lead and put 5 bags on surf side, 4 on non surf side and it woke up the wave. With this setup i am able to surf with just one person (driver) in the boat. I start adding a few people and the wave becomes even so much better. My setup varied, but usually 100% fill on surf side, 60 non surf side and 60% up front created a wave with push.

I think the mondo gets underrated cuz its slightly less than 21'. But we have a small lake, smaller crew and with a little added lead it surfs well. I also ride a 24 mxz and yah its a big wave, but no more push or length than my boat. Its pretty much what you see is what you get with surf gates.