PDA

View Full Version : Is a Tacoma enough to tow a 2008 XLV

Beas
08-30-2021, 10:48 AM
I'm new to all of this, so pardon the dumb answers. Yall can make fun of me too, it wont bother me :). I bought a Tacoma last year with hopes of getting a wake boat in the near future. Obviously it worked out and I ended up with a 2008 XLV GG edition.

the math... 2020 Tacoma TRD off road 4x4, its rated to tow 6300-6800#s. The boat is 3600#s, maybe 4600#s with the trailer. So, obviously, I'm in the range.

I have no experience towing, but it doesn't feel all that comfortable. No problems getting it in and out of the water, but I can't envision driving 4 hours on the interstate to take it to a lake out of town. It just feels like its straining the truck.

Do I need to bite the bullet and upgrade my truck, or is that just the feeling towing that weight?

Thanks for any input.

Jason1975
08-30-2021, 11:16 AM
based on tow rating you should be fine, but I am not sure you want my opinion. My rule for towing is always bigger is better. I never exceed 60% of my tow rating. Meaning the most i would tow with a 10k tow rating is 6k lbs. But thats just me. My thought is exactly what you said, just add'l wear on my truck.

2in2out
08-30-2021, 11:17 AM
Your Tacoma is feeling the weight. I towed a double jet ski trailer with two Honda aguatrax on it, with a total weight of 4300 on high Sierra roads (6000ft). It strained with that weight and the width of the trailer didn’t allow for good rear view vision for merging in and out of traffic.

Braking was another issue. Contact surface of the tires was less because the tires we were running were less than many half-ton pick-ups. Traction on the ramp or beach launching was another issue.

Depending on how you set your Tacoma up, front wheel contact may be affected by the tongue weight making steering difficult.

I would suggest that you look for a larger tow vehicle if you are going to spend that much time on the road with your boat.

Making my new SA build come true!!!

HFarr
08-30-2021, 11:40 AM
I didn't know that a Toyota could tow anything. [emoji13] THERE! Now the ice is broken, so now let the brand battles begin!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

HFarr
08-30-2021, 11:42 AM
In all honesty though, your tire choice and rear pressure makes a big difference in how it "feels" when driving. Also if the Toyota has any sort of lift kit or different spring/suspension package on it. Like a Baja kit that would soften the ride. Do you get much squat when hooked up?

sandm
08-30-2021, 11:53 AM
dry weight is 3600. add gas, oil, gear, etc and you are easily 4k(and remember some boats don't include options in dry weight and for some, tower was an option). add trailer and now at 5k.
now add all the gear in the truck, passengers and that vehicle is likely at or over capacity.

will it tow it? sure. will it put an extra load on the tranny? will it stop if you need to? those are the questions you should be asking.

flatland in wisconsin a mile to the ramp where we used to live? absolutely all day long.
towing up grade 15 miles to the lake in boise or 20 miles to the ramp here at mead? I'd sell it in a heartbeat.

had a 99 ford ranger 4.0 4x4 when we bought the supra back in 07. lighter boat than yours. 2nd trip to the lake outside boise, once we got back I was at the lot buying a half ton truck. I knew it was not going to last towing.

Beas
08-30-2021, 11:53 AM
I'm in a good spot to make the switch. Bought at a perfect time last year when the dealers seems desperate. It has 19k miles on it now and my trade it offer is more than I paid for it.

I don't do a ton of towing. It stays in the neighborhood marina, but I just took it out to clean a few weeks ago and took it out Saturday because of Ida.

I guess the answer is, if I want to feel comfortable making trips and being on the road with the boat then I need to upgrade. If I'm cool with just keeping it in the marina then I'm probably good?

Though the legroom in the backseat of the Taco is crap...my 3 kids aren't getting smaller!

Holdmybeer
08-30-2021, 12:08 PM
Your Tacoma will be fine, but like everyone is saying, could lead to additional maintenance. Oil changes, shocks, tires etc.

If the trailer has brakes, even surge brakes, that will help save the trucks. Use any type of tow/haul mode that Toyota offers. Do not tow in Drive, use 4th or 5th to keep yourself in the power band and the cooling system working. It will only get 9-10mpg but this is expected.

I towed 6hrs to Norris this year with my Mojo, and the whole house worth of gear. The yukon is rated at 8300 and I was pushing 8K fully loaded. It only sucks to getting to moving and stopping, so take you time and go slow.

When pulling out of the water, do not be afraid to use 4x4. The front wheels will always be on dry pavement and helps. Where are you located? Altitude kills power so that might be part of the problem also.

If you can upgrade then to it. Most trucks are fetching a premium but the problem is you have to buy the new one at a premium.

Beas
08-30-2021, 12:18 PM
I'm in Mississippi so no altitude issues. I do drive it in 3rd, then bump up to 4th.

Boatmate trailer does have the surge brakes.

I've always put it in 4x4 to get the boat out.

Being new to this boating scene....everything is a mystery and a new experience for me. I just don't like the added white knuckle driving. If upgrading to a Sierra or a Tundra gives me one less thing to worry about I'll probably do it.

I just didn't know if my concerns were valid or not.

2in2out
08-30-2021, 12:46 PM
I'm in Mississippi so no altitude issues. I do drive it in 3rd, then bump up to 4th.

Boatmate trailer does have the surge brakes.

I've always put it in 4x4 to get the boat out.

Being new to this boating scene....everything is a mystery and a new experience for me. I just don't like the added white knuckle driving. If upgrading to a Sierra or a Tundra gives me one less thing to worry about I'll probably do it.

I just didn't know if my concerns were valid or not.

Do not upgrade to a Tundra. The experience will be lacking. The F-150 ecoboost is where I’d put my money if going new.

If used is your path, stay away from a tundra. You’ll pay too high a price going in, and the experience will leave you wanting.

Beas
08-30-2021, 01:03 PM
I'm noticing that about the Tundra. I'm good with a Ford ecoboost.

So many different options its hard to see what they all tow. Anything with a class IV hitch should tow 10,000, correct?

And I'll take any and all recommendations.

996scott
08-30-2021, 01:13 PM
My Tundra does a great job towing, i wouldn't hesitate to get another one. The gas mileage sucks but other than that it is great. The new 2022 Tundra has a V6 twin turbo with 409 hp and 479 pounds-ft of torque.

HFarr
08-30-2021, 01:33 PM
My Tundra does a great job towing, i wouldn't hesitate to get another one. The gas mileage sucks but other than that it is great. The new 2022 Tundra has a V6 twin turbo with 409 hp and 479 pounds-ft of torque.I will have to look at that new tundra spec. Sounds nice. I have a 2018 f150 with the ecoboost. It's 375 hp and 470 lbft of torque. It pulls my Makai very well.

rhouse181
08-30-2021, 01:56 PM
I used to have the same Tacoma and spent a fair bit of time towing my Kubota, which was around the same all in weight. Some sumo springs will help the squat, but you should be fine.

Just remember that brakes aren’t the Tacoma’s strong suit with the drums in the back, so be conservative with your speed / following distances. It’s easy to get going, but it’s the stopping part that will get you in trouble.

Also, lock the transmission out of 6th gear… will save you some sanity because the v6 doesn’t have enough grunt down low and you will need to wind it out!

larry_arizona
08-30-2021, 02:32 PM
Keep the stock diameter tires on it, it’s popular to get bigger tires on a TACO, but it will kill your towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcjimmy33
08-30-2021, 03:08 PM
Take a look at the payload capacity sticker on your driver side door, that will show you exactly what you can load into that TACO. Don't base your decision of the advertised capacity. The stickers on the door are all vehicle specific for the exact options on that vehicle. Spoiler alert... it is generally much lower than advertised. The advertised capacity is generally the least amount of comfort options pared with any suspension/engine upgrades.

sandm
08-30-2021, 04:02 PM
Anything with a class IV hitch should tow 10,000, correct?

thread derail to hitch specs on fords in 5.. 4.. 3.. :o

Holdmybeer
08-30-2021, 04:04 PM
thread derail to hitch specs on fords in 5.. 4.. 3.. :o

I have been waiting for it since I started reading.....followed by thrusters.....LMAO

larry_arizona
08-30-2021, 04:05 PM
Hey now, I didn’t bring up either lol

Holdmybeer
08-30-2021, 04:07 PM

But we all damn sure know you wanted to!!! Just saying

2in2out
08-30-2021, 04:22 PM

Plant a seed. Watch it growhttps://media4.giphy.com/media/OH9zWD6tKD9E5QL7Ru/giphy.gif

Prospersigman
08-30-2021, 04:24 PM
Thread derail to Supra Thruster in....3, 2, 1

larry_arizona
08-30-2021, 04:50 PM
https://youtu.be/DVG1q49yPaY

HFarr
08-30-2021, 05:39 PM
Now that's funny.

Holdmybeer
08-30-2021, 06:26 PM
So we derailed this just to give Larry crap....but in all reality the OP's taco will be fine.

If you can or want to upgrade, go for it. Otherwise if you like the truck and only tow long distance a couple times a year, then keep it. If you plan on getting a newer, larger boat soon, then upgrade now so you don't have to pay for a new truck and new boat at the same time.

I new crew cab 1/2 will also have plenty of back seat room for the kids so that might add to the reason to upgrade.

But if you buy a Ford....ask Larry about the hitch.
And if you upgrade....ask about thruster.
LMAO.... :rolleyes:

HFarr
08-30-2021, 07:02 PM
Hey could those thrusters help with sway control? LOL!

sandm
08-30-2021, 09:23 PM
I thought thrusters were only rated for supras with 5500lbs gross weight? that they won't work on moombas with 4500lbs gross weight??

anyone?
anyone?
larry?
anyone??

:):)

forumomb
08-30-2021, 09:30 PM
My To-Do List on my Sx4 keeps getting Bigger and Bigger !

1) Project Carputer
2) HID Triple Barrel HeadLamps

Yes only two things as of now but they it self keep expanding once you look at the items required in accomplishing the task.

Latest is the best Site I found for my HID Triple Barrel HeadLamp task.
https://autowikius.com/ ... }223{4}212
and
https://autowikius.com/collections/head-lights

HFarr
08-30-2021, 09:31 PM
All you would have to do is change the thruster props out to a really steep pitch. Generate some good wind velocity.

Prospersigman
08-31-2021, 09:06 AM
Thruster power loss in high elevation lakes...I have the 575 thrusters on my boat.

Beas
08-31-2021, 11:41 AM
You guys are way over my head...and I don't know yall, but I like yall haha

I have decided to go ahead and trade in the Taco. With this new boating life in my late 30's and 3 kids I figure anything I can improve my comfort level with I'm going to do it. I want to enjoy the boat to its full extent. That means trying out new lakes around the South.

I've zeroed in on a F150, Platinum edition. Its Like $2,000 out of pocket. A little older, but a major upgrade with the 3.5 L V6 with Twin Turbos and Eco Boost.

There are multiple options though, but I think I like that one the best.

HFarr
08-31-2021, 11:45 AM
You guys are way over my head...and I don't know yall, but I like yall haha

I have decided to go ahead and trade in the Taco. With this new boating life in my late 30's and 3 kids I figure anything I can improve my comfort level with I'm going to do it. I want to enjoy the boat to its full extent. That means trying out new lakes around the South.

I've zeroed in on a F150, Platinum edition. Its Like $2,000 out of pocket. A little older, but a major upgrade with the 3.5 L V6 with Twin Turbos and Eco Boost.

There are multiple options though, but I think I like that one the best.I'm on my 2nd f150 Platinum with Ecoboost. Had a 13, now an 18. You will like it.

Holdmybeer
08-31-2021, 11:58 AM
Good choice. The back seat is huge for the family and towing should be a breeze.

We had a lot of jokes going because of previous discussions on this forum, but Larry is right that Ford factory hitches need to be upgraded for full tow capacity (from previous post we were giving him s**t about). So be careful and check into that since you will be close 5000# towing.

Max20
08-31-2021, 10:03 PM
I have towed a lot of different boats with a lot of different vehicles. Currently we tow the Makai with my wife’s Yukon - largely because we have 4 kids. A few months ago I sold my F-250 Diesel for 2 reasons….1 I don’t tow anything that heavy anymore and 2….the price I got for it was insane! I ended up buying a 1/2 ton Sierra with the 3.0l duramax. Awesome vehicle with tons of legroom in the back seat…best part is 28 mpg hand calculated (empty of course) I do have the bench seat up front (4 kids remember) but the Yukon is way more comfortable for all 6 of us.

Not sure I contributed a lot here, just throwing out another option with the baby-max diesel if you do a lot of empty driving.

Jason1975
09-01-2021, 12:07 PM
AS other have mentioned CHECK the hitch receiver on ANY F150. I was recently looking at a 2021 F150 as I waited for service on my truck and it said it was tow rated for something like 12,600 lbs. I looked at the hitch and it stated max weight 5000 lbs class III. How stupid is ford honestly???????

mjb929rr
09-01-2021, 01:35 PM
+1 on the 3.0 Duramax. I tow my sl loaded down 8900lbs and it tows great. Average 11-13 mpg towing depending on speed and wind. Great truck.

Beas
09-01-2021, 02:09 PM
Wife an I have done a 180 now.

How about a Sequoia? 4wd with 5.7L V-8 Engine, with the towing package. That has to be a good option? Google tells me 7400#s. That doesn't seem like a massive upgrade.

Holdmybeer
09-01-2021, 02:40 PM
The Sequoia is on the Tundra platform so it can tow just fine. The engine has tons of power but you sacrifice a lot given it is about to get a complete model change in 2023. All SUVs will tow less than the pickup version of the same. The added interior weight lowers the towing weight to maintain the overall GVWR.

If I was looking at large 7 passenger SUVs, GM and Ford hands down has the market. I like others and would love to have a BMW X7 in the family but truthfully the interior is smaller and the tow rating is lower. Our Yukon XL does great even with the small motor (5.3L) and not towing still manages 19-20mpg. The new offerings from GM (Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban) can be had with the 3.0L diesel, which isn't fast but tows well and get 23mpg. The Ford Expedition comes with the 3.5 ecoboost and Max tow package, everybody here seems to have that setup in an F-150 and likes it.

If you like the Sequoia, it will easily do the job pulling 5K boat with family loaded up....I would just want to wait for the new version over current. Nissan has the Armada also that falls into that category. The Durango would even work for you but you need the V8 with max trailering to get 8,300#

Beas
09-01-2021, 02:47 PM
Awesome input...I just bought a boat, so I can't buy a new vehicle! This purchase will definitely be used. Theres a 2018 Sequoia TRD Sport for sale. It has 70k miles on it and we could trade my Tacoma plus about $5k and make it happen.

not to get off topic, but it makes more sense to do this route. We have 3 kids and my wife currently drives the Subaru Ascent, and its just not roomy enough. It works, but this would be a major upgrade for the fam across the board.

Holdmybeer
09-01-2021, 03:14 PM
Does that Sequoia have the rear air leveling suspension?

You don't "need" it, but if it has it you will never go back to normal towing again. It is so nice that it levels out once the trailer is hooked up.

sleek98
09-01-2021, 03:18 PM
I tow our Mojo with a 2008 Suburban (5.3L with the 4 speed) and it does ok. Our boat is heavier than yours. If I had to do it over again I would have got the GMC version with the 6.2L in it since I only have the 4 speed. When this motor blows up I will put a 6.0 or 6.2 back in it.

I love the extra room this has over my 2018 Tundra that I had before. The kids have a DVD player to watch, the dogs get the 3rd row and there is still tons of room in the back for our bags.

I dont tow the boat much, usually 400 miles a year, but we do tow a kart racing trailer 2-3x a month. The older 5.3/4 speeds just need an extra gear between 3rd and 4th, as I am usually sitting kinda high rpm wise.

Guppydriver
09-01-2021, 03:41 PM
My 20' Tundra has it's lease due in May of next year. Great truck, but I won't be buying it. I will take a peak at the new Tundra assuming it has a decent payload, but the current gen Tundra has an abysmal payload compared to the current half ton competition. I have an 21' MB that probably weighs close to a loaded Mojo, and my Tundra does fine pulling, but not great. I went from SLC to Havasu this summer and coming home I got the tranny overheat warning (current gen has no tranny cooler) and I averaged about 6-7 MPG for trip which can get pricey. If I owned it outright, I'd probably keep it, but since it's lease, I'll either sell/trade in/ or turn in.

If the new Tundra doesn't blow me away, I'll be looking at either a Ford F150 Eco or a 3/4 ton gasser from whichever of the big three offers the best deal.

2in2out
09-01-2021, 04:34 PM
Does that Sequoia have the rear air leveling suspension?

You don't "need" it, but if it has it you will never go back to normal towing again. It is so nice that it levels out once the trailer is hooked up.

Until you submerge your compressor. Ask me how I know this…

2in2out
09-01-2021, 04:42 PM
Wife an I have done a 180 now.

How about a Sequoia? 4wd with 5.7L V-8 Engine, with the towing package. That has to be a good option? Google tells me 7400#s. That doesn't seem like a massive upgrade.

Sequoia and Tundra have the same power plant but the Sequoia has more gross vehicle weight, which eats into your gross combined vehicle weight rating. Additionally, Sequoia fuel mileage is less than the Tundra because of this.

I would steer clear of the Toyota’s for anything other than suburban cruising or running the Slick Rock in Moab.

HFarr
09-01-2021, 05:27 PM
My wife just traded her 2018 Expedition Max Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost (the Platinum had the 400 hp and 480 Lb-ft of torque). Only offered in the Platinum model that year. But that thing was very fast and pulled well. Faster than my truck actually. Anyway, I liked it. Roomy powerful, and it got 22+ mpg with no sweat on the hwy. Wish she still had it.

Holdmybeer
09-01-2021, 10:10 PM
Man how long are those ramps that you have to back that far in? The launches we use are steep enough the back tires aren't even in the water.

2in2out
09-01-2021, 11:07 PM
Man how long are those ramps that you have to back that far in? The launches we use are steep enough the back tires aren't even in the water.

So, when we bought our first boat, my truck hadn’t been delivered yet. All we had to tow with was our Range Rover.

We were taking our boat for the orientation ride after signing and went to a close local lake that is shallow. The ramp is terribly flat, and the trailer height for the Sanger rode pretty high. As I was backing in I realized I was going to submerge the rear end of the Rover and I set it to max height with the air ride suspension.

I didn’t know it at the time, but Takata had moved the compressor from under the drivers seat to under the spare tire in the back. The compressor was active because of a faulty strut sensor and hydraulic’d because of a bad seal and poorly place intake for the compressor.

The compressor was already faulty and had maintenance bulletins, so was replaced under 50/50 warranty claim.

Lesson learned: know where your compressor is, when it will activate, and don’t submerge it.

Holdmybeer
09-02-2021, 06:58 AM
So, when we bought our first boat, my truck hadn’t been delivered yet. All we had to tow with was our Range Rover.

We were taking our boat for the orientation ride after signing and went to a close local lake that is shallow. The ramp is terribly flat, and the trailer height for the Sanger rode pretty high. As I was backing in I realized I was going to submerge the rear end of the Rover and I set it to max height with the air ride suspension.

I didn’t know it at the time, but Takata had moved the compressor from under the drivers seat to under the spare tire in the back. The compressor was active because of a faulty strut sensor and hydraulic’d because of a bad seal and poorly place intake for the compressor.

The compressor was already faulty and had maintenance bulletins, so was replaced under 50/50 warranty claim.

Lesson learned: know where your compressor is, when it will activate, and don’t submerge it.

Well all of that makes perfect sense.
Our Yukon XL has the rear air and the compressor is hanging on the frame rail behind the driver's side rear tire. So in your case, I would have had the same issue because it sounds like you had to back pretty far. The only reason I know exactly where it is at is because on our way to vacation (6hr drive towing) I heard it running off & on non-stop at the gas station. Started looking at the truck in detail and noticed it wasn't level. The passenger side bladder had worn a hole in it and rubber had dry rotted. Only the driver's side was working, barely. We made it there and back looking like the Carolina Squatted truck.

$400 later and about 1hr to change both air shocks in the driveway and it is back to towing smooth and level again.

Lesson learned also: Even garage queens can have faulty parts.

Jason1975
09-02-2021, 08:41 AM
Steer clear of the Sequioa or tundra until they release something that even competes with todays SUV's and Trucks. I had the Sequoia and although it towed my MC X2 fine, the gas mileage was terrible. I have a Tahoe now to tow my mondo and even with the 5.3 it tows it far better and i get about 12-13 mpg. The toyota also squatted bad anytime i towed just about anything. Hopefully the new truck will be better than what they have now because my sequoia was trouble free for 100k miles but just not a good tow vehicle.