PDA

View Full Version : cracked block

LSV04
04-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Mechanic found a pin size drip from a crack in the block-he patched it and after running it on the lake today for about a half hour the gauges were fine,the oil has no water in it. Hoping there is no internal damage he said oil and water would of leaked out of the engine if the inside cracked after running it for a while. At the patch site there was a little moisture on the block - is the engine hot enough to make this steam because it was smoky but did not smell bad. Can I just live with this or should I replace the block now and not miss out on the summer season.Do the cracks get worse and should I just re patch the site every season-does anyone have a magic patch kit.I have heard people say they have had blocks patched for years.I love the boat and didnt plan on selling it anyway.
Any input would be helpfull-
My first mechanic is denying all wrong doing - he new exacly where the plugs were and swears he did all he was suppose to do. This might of happened last season when I used a different marina. anyway I am screwed-new block can run 4-6 grand.

lowdrag
04-30-2007, 02:22 AM
I can't help you at all with advise on what to do but I can say that 4-6K for a new block is ridiculous. A new short block shouldn't be anywhere near that price. If nothing else is wrong other than a crack in the block you should be able to pick up a new short block and include the rebuild for less than that.

Buttafewcoe
04-30-2007, 12:44 PM
You can get complete motors for around 3K. But that doesn't include installation.
B

Bluepilot
04-30-2007, 03:19 PM
WAY OVER PRICED that job should cost you 3500 installed period and that is for a brand new gm engine i run a repair shop and we do alot of boat because of marine dealers screwing the public its sad that we are a auto repair facility find a mechanic that will install your new engine for you buy it direct from a gm dealer