PDA

View Full Version : Just made a deposit on a 2022 Mojo

mlackski
08-24-2021, 11:46 PM
I have made a deposit on a new Mojo. March 2022 Delivery. I have read on a few forums that certain dealers are offering discounts. The dealer i am dealing with offered my nothing. But did happily add a manufacture delivery charge for over $3K, and dealer prep fee of $1000.00. Anyone have experience in dealers offering discounts?

RC_Hinojosa
08-25-2021, 08:34 AM
I have made a deposit on a new Mojo. March 2022 Delivery. I have read on a few forums that certain dealers are offering discounts. The dealer i am dealing with offered my nothing. But did happily add a manufacture delivery charge for over $3K, and dealer prep fee of $1000.00. Anyone have experience in dealers offering discounts?Having a prexisting relationship makes a difference. You might not get a discount this time but you will on the next one.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

Ralphy
08-25-2021, 10:25 AM
There's no "manufacturer" delivery charge. Both fees are arbitrary fees set up by dealer. For the set up fee, I know of people being charged anywhere between $0 and $1500. When I was getting quotes from different Skiers Choice dealers it varied from $495 (multiple) and $2500. Delivery also varied from $0 all the way to $3000.
Don't be afraid to shop a little and make offers. Everyone talks about having a good relationship with the dealer, and I agree it's important, but a good relationship is a two way street in my opinion.

RC_Hinojosa
08-25-2021, 10:37 AM
High demand and constrained supply means current market dictates a one-way street.

Holdmybeer
08-25-2021, 10:40 AM
I would still try to find another dealer for price comparison. Fully building out a Mojo + $4k gets you into a lot of different things in the midwest. Being in Arizona does not help price negotiations.

mgswake
08-25-2021, 11:14 AM
Are you new to boating? New to inboards? What will you use it for? Ski, wake, surf, tube, cruising, lounging? The used market is cooling off and there are a lot of boats that are coming down in price as the season ends. You could always go that route.

sandm
08-25-2021, 11:42 AM
I know jason robertson from germaine(chief "everything" officer) from my tige days and they have a solid business. I would have suggested reaching out to him directly but with a deposit placed, some of your negotiation ability is gone.
we shopped them in 2020 along with prestige in boise(and century/boulder/action in phx) and both dealers were within a few benjamins of each other so they can be competitive but in the current market supply and demand is driving pricing. you could try a different dealer but it's hard out west AND factor in skiers choice territory agreements.

onlyinboards has creeped from 1000 boats to 2150 in the last 2 months so the market is showing signs of turning. I see it as being happy with the deal you have if you are, shopping for a different brand and seeing if that nets you any leverage to negotiate a few % off or waiting until winter to assess market conditions for a new or used purchase as mgs mentions.
the last 2 are a gamble tho says the guy from sin city :)

sandm
08-25-2021, 11:42 AM
double post.

Prospersigman
08-25-2021, 01:03 PM
In sales, it's called screw the stupid buyer and give the smart buyer a good deal.

If I am a boat dealer/salesperson at a boat dealership I am still starting off with we can't discount due to what RC said, supply/demand, parts constraints...blah, blah, blah. If the buyer isn't going to push for discounts and work to negotiate a better deal for himself including possibly walking from the deal then I am not offering anything additional discount-wise. The throwing in the $3k delivery and $1k dealer prep is fuzzy math and in real-world dollars far less than $4k discount.

Bottom line there are clear signs that the boat market is flipping at least here in DFW and on Only Inboards. I know of 2 2022 SE550s that are available now that a few months ago you couldn't find a new Supra locally.

The last thing the Dealers are going to do is start telling people things are slowing down, they want to make hay while the sunshine, but the market will flip and boats will start sitting and 15-20% discounts will be back once boats start sitting collecting dust.

Guppydriver
08-25-2021, 01:18 PM
Zero discount is unacceptable.....

They are not even going to throw you a token appreciation bone?

All things are relative, but I would tell them to pound it. Regardless of market, your six figure business should be earned.

larry_arizona
08-25-2021, 01:37 PM
I recall part of the dealer prep fee includes…..

Shipping cost of the boat easily $1000-$1200.

Dealer has to provide and install batteries. SC doesn’t supply batteries from the factory. Each battery is $150 plus a few bucks to install say $350-$400 total.

Some dealers also include the first 20 hour service in that dealer fee, $600-$800 for 20 hour service.

Delivery and set up, Dealer is supposed to do a water delivery on each boat, a full checklist to go over with customer as well as 1-2 hours of water checks to make sure no leaks, or system issues , that is a couple hours of dealer labor.

There line item fees from SC for shipping cover $450 and a foreign materials fee $400 in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

996scott
08-25-2021, 02:02 PM
Like Larry said, the delivery fee and dealer prep fee is a real thing. They spend a lot of time once they take delivery of the boat to get it all put together, cleaned, prepped, and ready for you to take delivery. 20 hr service will save you $$ as well. If the dealer is willing to wave those fees that's a "discount" in my book. It would be nice to get something off the msrp as well but in this market i doubt you will bet much.

larry_arizona
08-25-2021, 02:07 PM
I didn’t even realize my dealer included the 20 hour service in my prep fee on my 2021 (They didn’t on my 2018).

When I picked up boat after the required 20 hour, I was grabbing for my credit card…. No additional charge.

mgswake
08-25-2021, 03:22 PM
To the OP, are they waving the freight and prep fees? I read it as they were not giving discounts off MSRP and they were charging the 4000 for freight and prep.

Prospersigman
08-25-2021, 05:56 PM
A lot of people are quick to jump in and stick up for the Supra dealers and protect their future discounts by saying that no discount and over $4k dealer prep/shipping is acceptable in this current market. I'll bet they would be pitching a bitch if they were getting hit with those fees and no discount.

In my opinion it is complete BS and its not just supply and demand it is greedy boat dealers trying to make record profits.

larry_arizona
08-25-2021, 05:58 PM
A lot of people are quick to jump in and stick up for the Supra dealers and protect their future discounts by saying that no discount and over $4k dealer prep/shipping is acceptable in this current market. I'll bet they would be pitching a bitch if they were getting hit with those fees and no discount.

In my opinion it is complete BS and its not just supply and demand it is greedy boat dealers trying to make record profits.

I absolutely would not have bought my 18 or 21 without getting the discounts. Just my nature.

sandm
08-25-2021, 06:09 PM

I completely agree with both of your posts and sad thing is it's not skiers fault TO A DEGREE.

part of the big issue with this is dealer territories and I completely get why they are in place but it's not end-user friendly.
our 2020 tige came from dealer in MN. we scored a good deal at 28% off msrp and no real dealer markups/addons. we did have to pay $1550 to ship it to us but still over 10k less than the closest dealer. the MN dealer is a powersports selling cycles and sleds so they have income stream to keep the lights on in the winter. closest dealer- which ironically is the same dealer the OP has deposit at- only does boats so no revenue in the off months. my assumption is the dealer territories help keep them in place.
we would have had no issues paying a little more for a boat from the closer dealer(a couple grand) but over 10k on an 80k boat?? not gonna happen. and I know the dealer in MN made a few $$ on it as well.

there are dealers out there selling boats for discounts off msrp and dealers gouging customers. sad thing is the marketplace is not open for people to shop service, price and overall feel.

brad460
08-25-2021, 07:00 PM
Our dealer waived the so-called freight and setup of $2699 when we bought our ‘21 (on top of a discount)…

If folks let themselves get overcharged because they just “have to have a boat” during this supply/demand crunch then I think they shouldn’t complain….Pay whatever the dealer wants and be happy..

Ironcross25
08-25-2021, 07:08 PM
I chose Not to work with my local dealer when I ordered my 22 mojo. I had to explain to the dealer I Went to why and they talked to the rep before committing. My local dealer I have never had good luck with I would order parts and they would never order them. I called them 3 different times trying to see about build dates and what they could do and how early they could get one and they didn’t ever treat me like a buyer. The 1st conversation I had with the current dealer I’m working with had 2 people on the phone and we talked for a good 30 minutes. They got me a December build spot and I locked it in. They are 3 1/2 hours away but I’m happy with them.

Now just have to unload the 12 mojo before the new one arrives. Lol.

mlackski
08-25-2021, 09:18 PM
Are you new to boating? New to inboards? What will you use it for? Ski, wake, surf, tube, cruising, lounging? The used market is cooling off and there are a lot of boats that are coming down in price as the season ends. You could always go that route.

No we are not. Been boating for over 30 years. Owned a 1998 Sanger DLX, then a 2001 Centurion Elite V Drive. Had it nearly 18 years. Great boat. Yes i have looked at used, simply garbage for $60-$70K. I like the idea of new, with warranty and all. And you just never know when you buy used. I was super meticulous about our Centurion. Was a 9/10 when we sold it with 900 hours on it.

2in2out
08-25-2021, 09:37 PM
In getting the quote from the dealer we have started to work with, the dealer costs are a little over $4k.

$1995 freight
$1495 prep
$164.25 trailer registration
$255 boat registration
$356.33 dealer tax
= $4,265.58

Now, we discussed discount on the sale, and I made it clear that a good discount establishes a long term relationship.

I have no problems traveling to get a deal. Salesman said they do give discounts, but he would need to talk to his manager once we were closer to putting ink on paper and money down. His indication was somewhere between 9-14% of MSRP.

At $198625, at 9% that would save me around $13k minus the dealer costs.

I would shop around. As the sandman said, shipping was fairly cheap.

Making my new SA build come true!!!

larry_arizona
08-25-2021, 09:41 PM
In getting the quote from the dealer we have started to work with, the dealer costs are a little over $4k.

$1995 freight
$1495 prep
$164.25 trailer registration
$255 boat registration
$356.33 dealer tax
= $4,265.58

Now, we discussed discount on the sale, and I made it clear that a good discount establishes a long term relationship.

I have no problems traveling to get a deal. Salesman said they do give discounts, but he would need to talk to his manager once we were closer to putting ink on paper and money down. His indication was somewhere between 9-14% of MSRP.

At $198625, at 9% that would save me around $13k minus the dealer costs.

I would shop around. As the sandman said, shipping was fairly cheap.

SA550?

2in2out
08-25-2021, 09:56 PM
Nah, 450 only

mlackski
08-25-2021, 11:34 PM
I read in depth the indmar warranty book. it says at 20 hrs to replace the oil/filter, trans fluid, and v drive fluid. My dealer says that the only service needed is the oil and filter. They quoted me $450 for the oil and filter service. I thought that was super steep. They quoted the yearly service at $950. Spark plug change at 300 hrs is $1500 plus the other services.

2in2out
08-26-2021, 12:05 AM
I read in depth the indmar warranty book. it says at 20 hrs to replace the oil/filter, trans fluid, and v drive fluid. My dealer says that the only service needed is the oil and filter. They quoted me $450 for the oil and filter service. I thought that was super steep. They quoted the yearly service at $950. Spark plug change at 300 hrs is $1500 plus the other services.

You need to find a different dealer and service center.

Ralphy
08-26-2021, 12:37 AM
I second that. Just for reference, my dealer charges $995 for the annual service which includes boat pickup, all fluids replaced, covered storage til spring, spring inspection and delivery.
We didn't have to pay for the 20 hrs. service for which they sent a tech to where the boat is on the lift.

sandm
08-26-2021, 01:16 AM
all I gotta say is HOLY CRAP to that price for an SA. that is stupid crazy money for a boat.

Holdmybeer
08-26-2021, 07:09 AM
~$200K for an SA450!!!!!

I know you are going to get some sort of discount but.....WOW. Kiss my new Supra dream goodbye.

Prospersigman
08-26-2021, 08:46 AM
So $185k for a SA450...holy shit balls that is ridiculous!!

RC_Hinojosa
08-26-2021, 08:49 AM
So $185k for a SA450...holy shit balls that is ridiculous!!Aye....that Mojo don't look too bad now eh? Lol [emoji1787]

MJHSupra
08-26-2021, 08:59 AM
This is why I think the MSRP went up for Moomba in 2022. Give the dealer more room to offer discounts b/c the have a bigger margin number to work with.

Sucks that some peeps are still lining up and willing to pay full price and dealers are playing hard-ball on lowering prices.

It’s about relationships and the dealer getting repeat buyers.

I like that 20 hour service being added in the price.

2in2out
08-26-2021, 10:49 AM
~$200K for an SA450!!!!!

I know you are going to get some sort of discount but.....WOW. Kiss my new Supra dream goodbye.

I’m loading it out. Like Kent says, “thrusters are only $5 a month.”

The reality is, this is my last big purchase after we close on the house. I won’t ever have the dinero to do a new Supra build, and I really want to enjoy the advantage of being in a climate in which I can surf 8 months out of the year.

It’s a price to play, but if I could find a gently used and loaded 21 Casper 450 with pecan interior, I would go that route and save coin.

I keep scouring OI for used, but so few have thrusters, and if the do, paint and interior just aren’t to are tastes.

When the CFO says build the boat you want, you don’t question her, especially when she’s footing most of the bill.

larry_arizona
08-26-2021, 10:52 AM
Thrusters are like $30-$35 a month, but I get paid $5 to say thrusters.

Prospersigman
08-26-2021, 11:41 AM
Plug ola pay ola!!

Phil scott
08-26-2021, 11:42 AM
We bought a new 21 Moomba .Two weeks later with 25 hours running on it the fuel pump quit. That was over a month ago, still don't have the boat in the lake. One would think someone in the Southeast would have a fuel pump? Just a warning from a very unsatisfied customer. I loved the boat for all 25 hours. We bought a new boat in order not to have the summer halted. Never will I buy a Skier Choice boat!

larry_arizona
08-26-2021, 12:20 PM
We bought a new 21 Moomba .Two weeks later with 25 hours running on it the fuel pump quit. That was over a month ago, still don't have the boat in the lake. One would think someone in the Southeast would have a fuel pump? Just a warning from a very unsatisfied customer. I loved the boat for all 25 hours. We bought a new boat in order not to have the summer halted. Never will I buy a Skier Choice boat!

I have heard a few raptors doing this around 25 hours. Have dealer swap pressure regulator first.

Holdmybeer
08-26-2021, 12:41 PM
"Waiting a month" "Bought a new boat", really? Disposable income must be nice.

Yeah fuel pressure regulators can be found pretty easy. Should be the issue. The only way the pump goes bad, is running it out of fuel...just saying

smitty75
08-26-2021, 04:34 PM
Sorry, late to the party. Am I reading that a 2022 sa450 is ending up around 185k after potential discount? Has that much changed since the 2021 roll out? Unless they get put on an endangered list, not sure you could ever get out of that if you had to sell. I’d be pushing pretty hard to drop those dealer costs and up the discount.

Personally I’d keep shopping, but understand the fun factor as well. My situation has always been we have no one to leave it to (no kids) so as long as it doesn’t delay retirement spend away!!!

I am fortunate to have a great dealer nearby. Regardless, good luck on the new boat, nothing better than a new Supra, especially the sa.

mjb929rr
08-26-2021, 05:05 PM
Just built my 22 sl550 this week for a November delivery. Msrp was 221500, but sales price before sales tax is 182,200. I guess it depends on the dealer. I would think my dealer would sell that boat for $168000 or so

2in2out
08-26-2021, 05:53 PM
Personally I’d keep shopping, but understand the fun factor as well. My situation has always been we have no one to leave it to (no kids) so as long as it doesn’t delay retirement spend away!!!

Yeah, this was initial quote, and I’m willing to travel to save several grand. Selling our 2020 was not an easy choice, and I wouldn’t be retiring and moving without the promise of more lake life.

Like I said, if I could find a gently used 21 in the color scheme we like, that would be our route, but they are rare.

Prospersigman
08-27-2021, 09:34 AM
So roughly a 17.5% discount. That is a great discount especially in the current hot market we are in. How many boats have you bought from this dealer?

Ironcross25
08-29-2021, 08:27 AM
Saw my 1st 21 mojo yesterday on Person at our lake. Cruised by us as we were changing riders. Thing is beefy compared to my 12. I’m super excited to get my 22. Not that I wasn’t before. I am glad I went with the pro tower as the one I saw did not have the pro tower and I did not like the look of the a3.

mjb929rr
08-29-2021, 07:26 PM
So roughly a 17.5% discount. That is a great discount especially in the current hot market we are in. How many boats have you bought from this dealer?

This is our second new Supra that we have purchased from them. Being a repeat Customer is worth about 3%. Second largest Supra dealer in the nation so maybe they make it up with quantity.