PDA

View Full Version : Does 2018 SL have auto launch?

SONIC
08-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Fb thread about a guy that can't plane so I was going to screenshot the manual showing how to make sure auto launch is on, but I can't find any reference to it in the 2018 vision manual. Does it not have it?

To clarify I'm talking about deploying all 3 tabs to get on plane.

larry_arizona
08-23-2021, 05:15 PM
My 18SA had it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prospersigman
08-24-2021, 10:09 AM
You have to be in Wakeboard advanced mode to deploy all 3 tabs.

larry_arizona
08-24-2021, 10:25 AM
But the Supra Launch system uses the center plate at 100% to assist all the time.

In the vision screen, one of the screens allows you to adjust the crossover speed for the launch assist.

KnoxMojo
08-24-2021, 02:05 PM
You have to be in Wakeboard advanced mode to deploy all 3 tabs.

Not correct, for Supra boats, only have to have cruise on and the box checked in the menu settings. It is under ballast and smart plate settings, I set my crossover point to 95. I talked to the guy, he is totally frustrated. Needs to let the dealer hook it up and see what is going on.

SONIC
08-24-2021, 02:34 PM
Not correct, for Supra boats, only have to have cruise on and the box checked in the menu settings. It is under ballast and smart plate settings, I set my crossover point to 95. I talked to the guy, he is totally frustrated. Needs to let the dealer hook it up and see what is going on.

Yeah he's a bit of a drama queen it seems and doesn't want to take any real advice just wants someone to give him a quick fix.
He seems to think any boat should plane out with full ballast and a full crew, which we all know isn't the case its a little more nuanced than that lol.

Prospersigman
08-24-2021, 04:26 PM
Learned something today, I always flip it to my Wakeboard advance setting in the rider profiles when I want to go from full ballast surfing to scooting to party cove, but with the 550 I can get on plane no problem anyways.

HFarr
08-24-2021, 04:53 PM
Yeah he's a bit of a drama queen it seems and doesn't want to take any real advice just wants someone to give him a quick fix.
He seems to think any boat should plane out with full ballast and a full crew, which we all know isn't the case its a little more nuanced than that lol.Drama queen? His name isn't Tony is it?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
08-24-2021, 10:42 PM
Drama queen? His name isn't Tony is it?

Tony or Ezekiel??

MJHSupra
08-24-2021, 10:55 PM
He got so pissy on the one thread, he started to call out the original buyer on a few other items too - heated seat and water temp gauge not working. The dude was frustrated.

Then he started another thread with the same question looking for a different answer.

Not sure about what the seating has to do with his wakeboard planing speed. I assumed the total weight number was the NMMA Certification for safety reasons.
17 people and 3500#s of ballast
or
X people and 4000#s of ballast
or
Y people and 4500#s of ballast
or
How you want to slice it.

2018 SL 450 (previous 440) with the 1.5 trans and a 15x12.5 wheel.

His setup was 5-6 people, full ballast, 1/2 tank of gas, 750#s of lead and not getting on plane.

Sounded like he did not test ride the boat before buying used and applying Trevor Hansen’s recommendation to him.

A Wakeboard Guy trying to get the most out of his boat and was not settling for a “mediocre wake” (his words) for his boosts. I can respect that.

larry_arizona
08-25-2021, 06:41 AM
That is too much total weight to get on plane at wakeboarding speeds for a 440/1.5 even at sea level.

Holdmybeer
08-25-2021, 09:12 AM
I'm sure the boat will get on plane, but not before the 20 second mark and he will be dragging his boarder around the whole time. Once he tries to drop back down to 19-21MPH for his boarder it will fall back into the water.

Not on FB so I have no idea who this is and what all he is dealing with, but has anyone asked where his 750# of lead is sitting? Does he have everything in the rear and all the people sitting reverse watching. Also, even if he has launch on the SL doesn't it retract at 15mph? Really just looks like too much weight and how big of a wake do you need? Is he trying to jump other boats?

larry_arizona
08-25-2021, 09:33 AM
Sounds like he is expecting to run what Trevor runs in the PWT boat.

Big difference with a 550 vs a 440.

Plus the PWT boat put the added lead in the bow walkway with two people sitting in the bow.

Not sure where his peeps are sitting, but needs a lot of bow weight to have a chance planing with 10800# at 22-23mph

All said, if you haven’t seen a Supra wake with 100 bow, 50-60 rear with mid size crew, it’s MASSIVE, the PWT wake is scary.

MJHSupra
08-25-2021, 10:31 AM
This story goes round and round on social media. Many peeps have chimed in. Sounded like he did a few days of many weight scenarios.

Now is getting the motor and software looked at by the dealer. When he transfers the warranty, they will do a compression check.

Per the software/tabs, I’m sure the dealer will look that over and make sure everything is up to date and working as should.

larry_arizona
08-25-2021, 10:33 AM
This story goes round and round on social media. Many peeps have chimed in. Sounded like he did a few days of many weight scenarios.

Now is getting the motor and software looked at by the dealer. When he transfers the warranty, they will do a compression check.

Per the software/tabs, I’m sure the dealer will look that over and make sure everything is up to date and working as should.

Worse case he can drop a 1.76 trans in it.

Holdmybeer
08-25-2021, 10:36 AM
If the motor is shot....I'll trade him even up for a working 2015 Mojo!

Not that big of a deal to rebuild....:cool:

shockthis
08-25-2021, 11:15 AM
Worse case he can drop a 1.76 trans in it.

Has anyone changed there tranny to a 1.76 , is it a big job?

larry_arizona
08-25-2021, 11:50 AM

I am aware of one. same trans case, just a different gear set. Direct trans swap.

KnoxMojo
08-25-2021, 02:09 PM

Yes, it is a big job. The case is the same, but floor, gas tank, shaft, pretty much everything has to be removed in that area to swap it. I am the guy Larry is talking about, just had it done under warranty. The 1.5 broke a gear, got the new 1.7.

Holdmybeer, auto launch doesn't retract at 15mph, could be before or after depending on desired speed, it isn't a set thing.

The guy took out all the lead, 3 in the bow, 4 in the cabin and full ballast with the 15x12.5 and it wouldn't get up, something is def wrong with the boat, my guess is the surf tabs aren't engaging as he also said the surf wave on both sides was awful, kinda tells me they are inop.

HFarr
08-25-2021, 02:27 PM
He Can always try Nitrous![emoji2957] it will give him the power to plane off. For a little while anyway.........

Holdmybeer
08-25-2021, 02:34 PM
Yeah he has issues. Does the boat have power? This motor with that load you would certainly see losing a cylinder or 2. Otherwise it is electrical and might explain why his heated seat, temp gauge, and now tabs won't engage.

KnoxMojo
08-25-2021, 02:45 PM
Yeah he has issues. Does the boat have power? This motor with that load you would certainly see losing a cylinder or 2. Otherwise it is electrical and might explain why his heated seat, temp gauge, and now tabs won't engage.

He is taking it to the dealer. A pre purchase inspection woulda found any issues.

russellsmojo
08-25-2021, 05:54 PM
I cannot imagine not test driving or getting a dealer check before writing that check to buy it. I think he said he test drove it. Well I would want to test drive full ballast etc as close to the boosty wake he is seeking. All I can say is he must be a hell of a wakeboarder because I have had some really good riders behind my boat and loved it at stock ballast with couple hundred pounds of lead.

And I would also stop posting how bad the boat is while I have it listed for sale???? Just Stop. Get it fixed. Then keep or list it…

MJHSupra
08-26-2021, 09:38 AM
He is taking it to the dealer. A pre purchase inspection woulda found any issues.

I was surprised, but not surprised how the guy was unloading on social media and NEVER taking a 100k boat for a ride or having someone look at it.

larry_arizona
08-26-2021, 09:39 AM
This is why I don’t Facebook

MJHSupra
08-26-2021, 09:44 AM
And I would also stop posting how bad the boat is while I have it listed for sale???? Just Stop. Get it fixed. Then keep or list it…

I had a feeling if the guy kept up the bad talking, he would get called out.

Lesson learned - the day I sell my SL400, it will not be a wakeboard dude going full ballast, lead, full fuel, and peeps. Ha ha.