PDA

View Full Version : Bent Fins

72wichvy
08-22-2021, 01:15 PM
Hello, I'm hoping for a little insight. I have a 2008 moomba Mobius lsv and this last weekend I found a bent bottom fin. I went to remove it today and only got one bolt out, the other 3 seem like the nut is spinning inside the hull. After I got the one bolt out it started pouring water out for a good 5 mins or more. Why would there be water in the hull like that? And secondarily, has anyone straightened these out while attached? Being that I can't get the other bolts off I think it's my only choice.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

HFarr
08-22-2021, 03:14 PM
If two of them are spinning, I would find a way to get them out. They probably are not holding very well anymore. That means the fin could move slightly. And slightly turns into more and more. Could wear away at the fiberglass eventually.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Tommy2slow
08-23-2021, 12:31 AM
The impact that bent the fin may have damaged the mounting hardware as well. It would be a good idea to have a pro look at this if you are unable to access the fin from above. I have heard of boats ending up at the bottom of the lake after damaging a tracking fin. You mentioned excessive water in the hull, this is a likely cause.

Holdmybeer
08-23-2021, 09:16 AM
I remember reading about the older hulls getting water trapped between the layers of the hull and causing issues. If you are in the northern areas and get winter weather, I would certainly have pros look this over. Nothing worse than thinking it is fixed and then the water freezes and splits the hull open.

Not trying to scare you, just being overly cautious.