PDA

View Full Version : People Using Your Boat

Jimm
08-18-2021, 08:37 PM
So after a couple of years I finally let my brother and his family, along with another family apparently, spend the week I was at the beach at our lakehouse.
After 2 weeks of no boat I got to the house late Friday afternoon. Didn't unload the Jeep because all I wanted to do was get in the boat and go. Took the cover off and leaned over to turn on the blower and sure enough the blower and bildge switches were flipped. Dead dead dead battery. The "3/4" of a tank he swore he left in it was more like 3/4 of an 1/8 of a tank and the cooler his friend left on the in the front locker had rotted stank beer in it that still stinks.
I can't be mad at my brother really but I'm pretty sure he has enjoyed his last unsupervised boat use.

sandm
08-18-2021, 09:35 PM
14 years of wakeboat ownership and in that time, not ONCE did I ever let a boat in the water without being with it. for the same reasons above.

but I'm also the same guy that won't lend a vehicle out. need a truck to use for a day? home depot and uhaul rent 'em...

larry_arizona
08-18-2021, 09:54 PM
14 years of wakeboat ownership and in that time, not ONCE did I ever let a boat in the water without being with it. for the same reasons above.

but I'm also the same guy that won't lend a vehicle out. need a truck to use for a day? home depot and uhaul rent 'em...

No truer words….

Never lend a truck
Never lend a boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HFarr
08-18-2021, 10:01 PM
So after a couple of years I finally let my brother and his family, along with another family apparently, spend the week I was at the beach at our lakehouse.
After 2 weeks of no boat I got to the house late Friday afternoon. Didn't unload the Jeep because all I wanted to do was get in the boat and go. Took the cover off and leaned over to turn on the blower and sure enough the blower and bildge switches were flipped. Dead dead dead battery. The "3/4" of a tank he swore he left in it was more like 3/4 of an 1/8 of a tank and the cooler his friend left on the in the front locker had rotted stank beer in it that still stinks.
I can't be mad at my brother really but I'm pretty sure he has enjoyed his last unsupervised boat use.Oh man, I feel for you! I know some people like that too. Can't choose your family though! I let friends stay at our lake house all the time, and let them use our jetskis. But never, ever my boat! I have some, most actually, that leave things as good or better than they found them. But a few take advantage and do not. I rarely borrow anything from people, but when I do I always return it super clean and full of fuel if it is something that takes it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

SONIC
08-19-2021, 08:37 AM
Only person that has any hope of ever borrowing my boat is my father because I grew up on his boats and would return the favor. Luckily he hates the lake so I've got little to worry about!

I do agree though that's your brother's last solo ride lol

Prospersigman
08-19-2021, 08:54 AM
I have a core group of friends, 5 families that all boat and own boats. I would and have let any of them use my boat when needed and vice versa. My boat was in the shop, 1 family had a baseball tournament all weekend, I pulled his boat out of storage and used it all weekend. Last week another buddy left his boat in his slip up in Broken Bow. They had a soccer tournament 3 hours away, he took off for the soccer tournament and we were going to Broken Bow that weekend and didn't haul a boat up...we just used his and brought it back home for him after the weekend was over.

It depends on who your friends are and if they are boaters or not. We all take excellent care of our boats and know that if we let another family use it, that it will return in the same or cleaner condition.

HFarr
08-19-2021, 09:17 AM
I have a core group of friends, 5 families that all boat and own boats. I would and have let any of them use my boat when needed and vice versa. My boat was in the shop, 1 family had a baseball tournament all weekend, I pulled his boat out of storage and used it all weekend. Last week another buddy left his boat in his slip up in Broken Bow. They had a soccer tournament 3 hours away, he took off for the soccer tournament and we were going to Broken Bow that weekend and didn't haul a boat up...we just used his and brought it back home for him after the weekend was over.

It depends on who your friends are and if they are boaters or not. We all take excellent care of our boats and know that if we let another family use it, that it will return in the same or cleaner condition.I can agree with that. There are a few people I would trust with my boat, and they happen to be people that own a similar boat. So I know they can handle it properly and understand how they work and how to take care of a boat. Quite frankly, most people on this forum would probably fall into that category....if I knew you personally that is! [emoji16]

SONIC
08-19-2021, 09:19 AM
Probably true there. I just don't know anyone with a nice boat :D

MY FIL would probably be fine but I've seen him dock his boat on an aluminum dock with no bumpers so he's out of the running ��

HFarr
08-19-2021, 09:21 AM
Probably true there. I just don't know anyone with a nice boat :D

MY FIL would probably be fine but I've seen him dock his boat on an aluminum dock with no bumpers so he's out of the running ��Ouch!! Jab, Jab, burn, burn! LOL!

larry_arizona
08-19-2021, 09:27 AM
I agree on people who own similar boats.

After hanging out with KnoxMojo, I would let him use my boat no problem.

Funny story, let one of my best friends use my truck to go to Home Depot to get done 2x4’s

He picked up 48 sheets of OSB instead…….let that sink in

Holdmybeer
08-19-2021, 09:32 AM
I could never ask to borrow anyone else's boat. If offered, maybe take them up on it but not just ask to borrow.
I would be too stressed out to enjoy the lake that day anyway thinking that I would ruin the relationship if anything happened.

In-laws and my family tried joint boat ownership for 4 years, but I got tired of solely maintaining, storing, cleaning, and "asking permission" for something I was co-owner of. Never again and almost burnt a bridge. It was not a wake boat anyway and never had the same fun as we do now.

zabooda
08-19-2021, 09:53 AM
I was always somewhere close by when someone drove the boat. Always pulling someone and sometimes to drive the boat around to a remote camping site. It is a huge liability to give the keys to someone else. The ultimate in trust.

Buckeye
08-19-2021, 09:57 AM
My 16 year old son is already asking when he will be able to take his friends out on the boat without me! Not a chance!

SONIC
08-19-2021, 10:01 AM
I agree on people who own similar boats.

After hanging out with KnoxMojo, I would let him use my boat no problem.

Funny story, let one of my best friends use my truck to go to Home Depot to get done 2x4’s

He picked up 48 sheets of OSB instead…….let that sink in

Hmm..54 lbs per sheet....48 sheets.....2592 lbs....payload is...uh not that much lol

larry_arizona
08-19-2021, 10:03 AM
Hmm..54 lbs per sheet....48 sheets.....2592 lbs....payload is...uh not that much lol

It was in a new 1998 3/4 ton GMC, but still well over payload.

996scott
08-19-2021, 10:40 AM
I shared our old family boat with my brother for a couple of years way back when and had the same experience. I would go to use it and it had not been cleaned or taken care of. It drove me crazy and i decided it was time to buy my own. I am a very "type A" person and like everything taken care of. That being said i have 3-4 very close friends who i have know for 20+ yrs and they all own boats. I wouldn't hesitate to give them my boat because i know they will take care of it as well or even better than me. I also let me boys ( both in their 20s) take the boat with friends. They have been boated their entire lives and i taught them from about 14 how to drive and take care of a boat.

2in2out
08-19-2021, 11:43 AM
There is a quote that runs around my work:

“I trust you with my life, but not my money, my vehicles, or my wife!”

Making my new SA build come true!!!

HFarr
08-19-2021, 12:22 PM
There is a quote that runs around my work:

“I trust you with my life, but not my money, my vehicles, or my wife!”

Making my new SA build come true!!!I love it!

AtTheRiver
08-19-2021, 12:58 PM
My son is a black hawk pilot and the government trusts him with a $10M aircraft, but I am still not to the point of tossing him the boat keys when he wants. Guess I have been burned too many times. I used to let my regular wakeboard buddy use my boat all the time until he drove it on land going 20+MPH. Let my son take it out and first time out, bent the prop on the lift.

SONIC
08-19-2021, 02:01 PM
My son is a black hawk pilot and the government trusts him with a $10M aircraft, but I am still not to the point of tossing him the boat keys when he wants. Guess I have been burned too many times. I used to let my regular wakeboard buddy use my boat all the time until he drove it on land going 20+MPH. Let my son take it out and first time out, bent the prop on the lift.

That's another issue is that when something breaks on these things it's not a quick easy fix it's usually dumb expensive.

larry_arizona
08-19-2021, 02:20 PM
Without question……the “You rag, you pay” rule is in full motion if you are borrowing someone’s stuff.

My buddy borrowed my chainsaw to trim some branches…. Got the saw back with chain and bar full of dirt. He said, your saw doesn’t cut roots very well….

I gave him the chain part number to buy me…..lol

SONIC
08-19-2021, 03:10 PM
Everyone I know always wants to use my excavator until I tell them that anything that goes wrong while they have it is their responsibility, I don't care how it happened. The last hydraulic leak cost 2k. They start to like the idea of renting one for 300 a day after that conversation lol

HFarr
08-19-2021, 05:12 PM
My son is a black hawk pilot and the government trusts him with a $10M aircraft, but I am still not to the point of tossing him the boat keys when he wants. Guess I have been burned too many times. I used to let my regular wakeboard buddy use my boat all the time until he drove it on land going 20+MPH. Let my son take it out and first time out, bent the prop on the lift.And if he breaks something on the Blackhawk, there is someone ready to fix it at no charge to him. Or dad! LOL!

HFarr
08-19-2021, 05:14 PM
But tell him THANK YOU!! we appreciate everything he is doing for all of us! He has my respect!!

2in2out
08-19-2021, 05:22 PM
Without question……the “You rag, you pay” rule is in full motion if you are borrowing someone’s stuff.

My buddy borrowed my chainsaw to trim some branches…. Got the saw back with chain and bar full of dirt. He said, your saw doesn’t cut roots very well….

I gave him the chain part number to buy me…..lol

I borrowed my buddies saw and got him 2 new chains, a gallon of bar oil, 2 siggs of fuel, did a complete tear down, replaced roller bearing and driver, and new replacement filter. I had it for 3 weeks, and took down 3 trees and 20 junipers.

He was stoked. I treat my friends almost as good as my saws.

larry_arizona
08-19-2021, 05:26 PM
I borrowed my buddies saw and got him 2 new chains, a gallon of bar oil, 2 siggs of fuel, did a complete tear down, replaced roller bearing and driver, and new replacement filter. I had it for 3 weeks, and took down 3 trees and 20 junipers.

He was stoked. I treat my friends almost as good as my saws.

That is awesome.

Funny thing is, I gave him the saw full of fuel, full of bar oil and gave him a gallon can of premix so that he couldn’t possibly use the wrong fuel…..

I absolutely didn’t not expect any $$ for gas or oil, just didn’t want my saw blown up.

Just like if you are ever a guest on my boat, no gas money accepted and beers are on me in the cooler.

2in2out
08-19-2021, 05:57 PM
That is awesome.

Funny thing is, I gave him the saw full of fuel, full of bar oil and gave him a gallon can of premix so that he couldn’t possibly use the wrong fuel…..

I absolutely didn’t not expect any $$ for gas or oil, just didn’t want my saw blown up.

Just like if you are ever a guest on my boat, no gas money accepted and beers are on me in the cooler.

First expectation I have for anyone on the the boat is to have fun.

Second expectation is helping to clean-up at days end. That’s the hardest work of all.

I don’t take gas money because I’m going to fill the tank no matter what. Bring what you want to eat, drink. Buy some ice. And most of all, don’t be a d—k! I have to remind myself of that sometimes.

HFarr
08-19-2021, 08:16 PM
I am the same way with the gas. I tell people I am going to use it anyway. I enjoy the company! Just have fun.

rdlangston13
08-20-2021, 08:43 AM
My boat is a shared ownership deal with on my best friends. Only reason we did it is because he used to have an inboard back in the day and when I had the LSV he would always drive it when I wanted to ride when we were out so we both were well aware of each others capabilities driving and taking care of boats. It's worked out pretty well but me being the more mechanically inclined one usually does most of the maintenance. Not a huge deal as he always splits parts cost with me and he is a phenomenal wood worker so when ever I need furniture he helps me out. With my work schedule normally being 28 day on 28 days off there really is not conflict about who can have it when. When I am off work its mine and when I am at work its his. Pretty simple.

Jimm
08-25-2021, 11:10 PM
So just to circle back to this, we had lunch with my brother this past weekend and I bit my tongue about the boat. We had talked about it but I'm still able to work myself up about it. I mean, its my boat which I dearly love. Anyway, after lunch he hands me a 20 "for the gas" he used. He's typically a very smart guy but this was just a stupid idea. If I'm taking people out I don't even think about gas money, but its nice when they offer. But you used $80 worth of gas, left me with a dead battery and empty tank, another $80, and $20 is what you come with?!?! I just played it off and gave it to the twins to buy candy with. I figure he is trying to butter me up for Labor Day weekend.

MJHSupra
08-26-2021, 09:24 AM
Most non-boaters have no idea of the cost when you pull up to the station and have to gas up the boat. Mine never gets below 1/4 tank. And for me last night, it was both the boat and the truck. Pay to play.

Not to mention the time it takes when everyone leaves after a boat outing and you are still cleaning, straightening up, wiping down, removing boards, and putting the cover on, etc.

Just like everyone else, it’s a great feeling to jump in a clean boat to start a session.

larry_arizona
08-26-2021, 09:38 AM
So just to circle back to this, we had lunch with my brother this past weekend and I bit my tongue about the boat. We had talked about it but I'm still able to work myself up about it. I mean, its my boat which I dearly love. Anyway, after lunch he hands me a 20 "for the gas" he used. He's typically a very smart guy but this was just a stupid idea. If I'm taking people out I don't even think about gas money, but its nice when they offer. But you used $80 worth of gas, left me with a dead battery and empty tank, another $80, and $20 is what you come with?!?! I just played it off and gave it to the twins to buy candy with. I figure he is trying to butter me up for Labor Day weekend.

Personally I would leave the gas tank empty and let him experience it.

sandm
08-26-2021, 10:49 AM
you gots more than I do. no way I would have held my tongue. and no way he would ever get the boat again alone.

HFarr
08-26-2021, 10:51 AM
Personally I would leave the gas tank empty and let him experience it.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkBoom! That's the way to do it! Tell him he can use it Labor day, leave it empty. Kill your batteries too![emoji48]

Holdmybeer
08-26-2021, 12:06 PM
Don't kill your batteries...they have been through enough.
Remove them so he can replace them, leave the tank empty, and then remove the boards, ropes, etc.

No clean, no gas, no toys!

larry_arizona
08-26-2021, 12:09 PM
Don't kill your batteries...they have been through enough.
Remove them so he can replace them, leave the tank empty, and then remove the boards, ropes, etc.

No clean, no gas, no toys!

Plus leave it on the trailer so he can truly experience taking it to the launch with his truck.

You are doing him a solid by putting it on the trailer so he can pay less at a land based gas station.

cucv
08-27-2021, 08:45 AM
My wife saw my face reading thru this thread and says, "what ya thinking about." So I ask her, "can your brother take our boat for the day." Her answer was perfect but avoided the point, "he doesn't have his boating certificate," which is required in NH." Thinking back I used to struggle to say no to peoples requests to use our jetskis before the boating certificate was required.
The day I turned 16 it was a given that I could take out my parents ski boat without even asking. Gas, cleaning, launching, maintenance was a natural responsibility when using their boat.
My sister and her husband would be welcome to use our boat even though we are on opposite coasts and don't spend as much time together as we used to. We have similar values and shared mutual respect.
We love my wife's brother, he is the life of the party but has a different set of values. Although he has the skills to take our boat he lacks similar values when using some else's stuff. He returned a piece of equipment he borrowed the other day. Yes it was full of diesel, but so full it was running down the side of the machine. Half full cup of coffee in the cup holder with coffee splashed on the windshield.
A few years back I borrowed his backhoe, the tires were so bald I punctured one on next to nothing. I could have plugged it but put a new one on instead.
He borrowed my dump truck, which is like new, pristine and polished. I'm not sure what he did with it but brought it back with huge chunks of tread missing from 3 tires and some majors sidewall gashes. He acknowledged the damage but did nothing.
I suck at tough conversations, good luck with yours.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

HFarr
08-27-2021, 03:49 PM
Let Nancy handle it for you!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210827/4705fb4e70fcb484a89a0e2435aa0c34.jpg

Mxmark4
08-30-2021, 01:32 PM
Its hard to just let someone borrow your stuff. I am always quick to offer up a tool or advice, because it will keep me from getting to the point where I have to do the job. but no way I would let someone take my boat ski or other vehicle out. I will let others drive when I am with them because I deserve a pull behind the boat too, but thats about as far as I can go with it.