PDA

View Full Version : current market

sandm
08-12-2021, 09:44 PM
any guesses on where the market is going to land in the next 6 to 9 months?

onlyinboards had right at 1000 boats listed 2-3 months ago and safe to say the last year has weeded out all the listings that were sold and never removed so it's likely a pretty solid "current" number.
it's up to over 1800 today. only 350ish are 2022's and a third of those are mc's.
get a feel that there are some "bargains" out there that could start to drive pricing back down on some of the used machines.

supra/moomba and a couple of the other smaller "boutique" builders if you will are not showing a lot of 2022 dealer spec boats listed indicating they have sold their allotments OR it shows the power of skiers choice dealer agreements/territories but wonder how many will back out prior to next year to snag used models if the used market continues to climb over winter. it's also unknown if any of the 2022 listing on there are actual build slots/boats or just putting a bunch of listings out to generate leads. there could be some pretty big deltas between 2020 and 2022 for some that may need or want to exit the market quickly.

none of this begins to factor in the snowpack out west and if we have another abysmal year.....

mgswake
08-12-2021, 11:16 PM
Waiting on the used market to come down. I saw a used 2018 max listed for 79k. I can’t see anyway that boat was that expensive new. I see this across all brands. I spec’d a S23 155k msrp 190k and I left a few boxes unchecked. I don’t see any way to get into any of the brands new right now, so I’m hoping for a downturn in the used market.

MJHSupra
08-13-2021, 12:26 AM
In 6-9 months I do not see any real big movements. Demand for tow boats is still high, but higher prices will slow things down a little. New boat 2020-2021 owners trying to sell and buy the next years model will be eating some depreciation.

Not sure peeps will be buying a Moomba for $110k and trying to sell for the same price in the same year. Same for Supras.

I see a lot of people who bought entry level models wanting to move into the more expensive lines.

Build slots will be a premium and many will be gone by boat show season.

I was skeptical about peeps paying $275-300k for a Paragon, but they are selling everything they make.

Same for the opposite end. Heydays have been sold out.

Silly season has stated now that all manufactures are producing 2022s and hitting the lakes. Look how many BUs and MCs are for sale. Happens each year.

I still think I could sell my SL for the same price as what I paid two years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason1975
08-13-2021, 09:39 AM
I think its hard to say. This could all come crashing down like the housing market at some point with people underwater with payments and a rise in inflation which we are already seeing at HUGE levels. Or it could go on for some time as people re-direct their income to other hobbies since covid won't allow for what they did in the past. And if gas keeps going up that may have some people rethinking it.

brad460
08-13-2021, 09:52 AM
Agree with MJH-

This market shows no signs of slowing down which is being exasperated by the lack of supply. I do believe at some point (like lumber) new boat prices will get too high that demand will start to drop off. Just doesn’t feel like it’ll happen anytime soon..

There is a family I noticed on the Moomba FB group- they bought a new Max this year (first time boat owners). After getting the boat they posted about struggling to launch and load it. Now I see the boat is for sale. How many of these type of folks are out there getting ready to sell? (That could cool the market).

mgswake
08-13-2021, 10:07 AM

onlyinboards had right at 1000 boats listed 2-3 months ago and safe to say the last year has weeded out all the listings that were sold and never removed so it's likely a pretty solid "current" number.
it's up to over 1800 today. only 350ish are 2022's and a third of those are mc's.
get a feel that there are some "bargains" out there that could start to drive pricing back down on some of the used machines.

The other thing that is factoring into only inboards is the prevalence of FB market place. I have been searching there this week, and multiple boats from each manufacturer are popping up daily. That is in a 250-500 mile search radius. I think there are a lot of used boats out there and increasing. However, there is still high demand for new boats so I don’t see that market slowing down anytime soon. I think people are going to realize the used boat prices are going to start dropping with the increased supply. Also, I’ll say it again please limit loans to 10 years or less!!

mgswake
08-13-2021, 10:09 AM
Brad460, to your point; how many times do we see I can’t get any push, or my wave stinks. Only to have the reply add ballast or lead. Maybe some people just need to learn basic balance and weight distribution on the board?

Prospersigman
08-13-2021, 10:18 AM
My local dealer just had 2 people back out of SE550 builds that are available now...one has an end August spray date and the other is the beginning of September. Boat boats were heavily optioned and well over $220k build price.

mgswake
08-13-2021, 10:34 AM
I want both!! 220k that is steep. 2023 Supra hits 300k?

SONIC
08-13-2021, 11:04 AM
I am always looking at boats in my down time it's just a hobby guess lol.
I've noticed the market starting to get more reasonable as more and more people start listing their boats. For a long time this year it's been true that a boat will sell pretty much regardless of the price. Now I'm noticing things staying listed longer and prices coming down a bit.
They are still crazy high, people who bought boats in 2015-2020 can still get more than they paid for it new I think but that's slowly stopping.

Problem is in my opinion that the new boats keep going up so fast it makes the used ones look like a deal.

For instance say you bought a 2021 mojo for 100k and decide to sell it.
The buyer has already priced a 2022 which is the same in pretty much every way at 115+ so when you list yours with 80 hours in like new condition at 105 hell that's a deal! And it really is a deal in comparison even though it's more than you paid for it brand new.
Carry that over a few years and a max that cost 70 out the door is suddenly worth 85 or 90.

I don't see that stopping if these price increases don't stop or at least slow down.

Ralphy
08-13-2021, 11:55 AM
Market is cooling a little because it's that time of the year, and as long as you are not set on a certain model there are deals to be found out there. Especially on the middle to higher end boats. We recently shopped different areas and manufacturers since our local skiers choice dealer doesn't have any inventory. The dealers simply cannot advertise low prices due to manufacturer's restrictions.
As example, I found a 2022 $171K boat that the dealer was willing to sell for $131K, so $40K off. When I I talked to another dealer with the same brand, they were discounting a 23 footer $30K.
My only issue the closest dealer was 140 miles away so we passed, but ended up finding a great deal locally with a different manufacturer.
Now, good luck finding a deal on a sub $100K boat... we ended up getting more on trade than what we paid I'm May...

sandm
08-13-2021, 12:55 PM
Also, I’ll say it again please limit loans to 10 years or less!!

another economic downturn will drive this to fruition imo just like the housing market. if it does happen it'll literally KILL the premium boat market. I would bet 75% of people are financing these 15yrs+. me thinks some are using the rapidly increasing equity in real estate to finance. all good until you want to sell the crib and buy again.

take an interest rate at 4%, even 20% down on a 180k boat is going to be a $1500/mo payment. not many people will swallow that pill for a toy they use 4-6 months a year and I'd be quite surprised if a majority are putting that kind of cash down on a boat.
15/20yr notes are what has allowed the tech to improve and pricing to shoot to the moon.

brad460
08-13-2021, 12:59 PM
Brad460, to your point; how many times do we see I can’t get any push, or my wave stinks. Only to have the reply add ballast or lead. Maybe some people just need to learn basic balance and weight distribution on the board?

Agreed- We used to surf behind my 04 Mobius with 750lbs in the back and did just fine 10 years ago. That’s what we learned on…

In all seriousness, our Max puts off such a big wave with stock ballast that newbies (and sometimes myself if I get pulled up on the wrong side) have a hard time pulling themselves up over the wave and into the pocket. It has a far bigger wave than of 04..

For my wife I drain a lot of the ballast otherwise the wave is too intimidating..

I should note we are just casual surfers and only spend a small part of the day doing it these days..

Yzfguy06
08-13-2021, 03:11 PM

supra/moomba and a couple of the other smaller "boutique" builders if you will are not showing a lot of 2022 dealer spec boats listed indicating they have sold their allotments OR it shows the power of skiers choice dealer agreements/territories but wonder how many will back out prior to next year to snag used models if the used market continues to climb over winter. it's also unknown if any of the 2022 listing on there are actual build slots/boats or just putting a bunch of listings out to generate leads. there could be some pretty big deltas between 2020 and 2022 for some that may need or want to exit the market quickly.

none of this begins to factor in the snowpack out west and if we have another abysmal year.....

The new supra Inventory on inboardsonly is still continue to go up. Prices are still dumb. There is a dealer selling a 16 se550(roush) boat for the same price someone with a 2020 se550 is(150k). That's crazy. Prices seem to be still holding steady for the moment. As we get closer to colder months i'd bet inventory continues to climb and hopefully prices fall.

HFarr
08-13-2021, 04:33 PM
I priced out my 2021 Makai on the builder today. My boat with the exact same options, including trailer options, would be $12,856.00 more.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

HFarr
08-14-2021, 08:40 AM
Someone on my lake is selling a 2014 SA for $77,500. It's a good looking boat, and he said he has upgraded the sound, upholstry, and gatorstep flooring, but I will be curious to see if he gets it.

Ralphy
08-14-2021, 08:47 AM
Exactly a year ago I looked at a mint 2013 with 350 hours on it for $42k. Should've invested in boats LOL

HFarr
08-14-2021, 10:10 AM
That's the truth! Add says he owned it for last 4 years, so he is at least the second owner. I can't say anything bad about someone asking what the market will support though. I sold my old boat for more than I paid. That was when the used market had just started taking off, and I was the second owner, and looking back at things, I could have actually gotten more for it. That's a lot of ands.

MJHSupra
08-15-2021, 02:50 PM
There is a dealer selling a 16 se550(roush) boat for the same price someone with a 2020 se550 is(150k).

Yea, the cray-cray prices will sit there.

Somebody else just had a 2021 Mojo for $150k on some FBook group. I’m betting that person took it down the post b/c of all the negative comments.

jcarter20
08-15-2021, 06:08 PM
I had fully intended to sell my 18 Craz and get into an SE within the next two years. I built a 2022 optioned out they way I wanted it a few days ago. It was $202k and the boat builder wasn’t adding all the options I wanted. So most likely it was $210k. Not sure what the dealer would actually sell that for, but there is no way in hell I would spend $200k on a wakeboat. The crazy thing is, I built nearly the same boat last year and I am pretty sure it was in the $160k range. That is a 30% increase. I know my salary damn sure didn’t increase 30% even in the last 5 years. I sure hope this market doesn’t hold past 2022.

jcarter20
08-15-2021, 06:11 PM
And the new Mojo says starting at $140k on the Moomba website! WTF! That is a great boat, but no way should it start at $140k.

sandm
08-15-2021, 06:49 PM
And the new Mojo says starting at $140k on the Moomba website! WTF! That is a great boat, but no way should it start at $140k.

must have had a setting wrong. I just pulled it up and came up at 89,893 on the boat builder page to start. still crazy. decently optioned bet it's 110. all a moot point if it's otd sans tax in the high90's or very low100's but I bet it's msrp plus dealer addons in most markets.

market feels like it's slowing a little. took my cousin almost a month to peddle his 2021 tige 23zx and only made 4k over price new. he's got a build slot for an SL but he's still going back and forth with the SA. dealer told him the SL slots are about gone so he has to decide but SA still a lot of availability. again all per the dealer. my gut is whoever in washington bought the 23zx did to avoid the 2022 price increases. sold for 154 and I am guessing but same boat in 22 will be 175-180. his was pretty optioned up. dealers are not sold out of tiges yet so no reason to not order new other than saving a few $$. I bet we see more 20/21's selling that might have been 22 build slots.

jcarter20
08-15-2021, 07:55 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210815/248a877d1b90d4c2088b8264b02e8319.jpg

I hope this is wrong! Ha ha. Or Moomba sales will come to a halt.

haknslash
08-15-2021, 08:03 PM
I priced out my 2021 Makai on the builder today. My boat with the exact same options, including trailer options, would be $12,856.00 more.

That's about what I got for pricing out a 2022 Max with the same build I did for my 2019. If I add on the newer tech, bells and whistles it's a hair shy of $111k! I feel like I got a good deal on my 2019. It's going to suck the day I want to pay for new Supra pricing though!

sandm
08-15-2021, 09:12 PM
I hope this is wrong! Ha ha. Or Moomba sales will come to a halt.

it has to be. supra website has a lot of small glitches/bugs in it so assuming it's related to that. human eff-up....

jcarter20
08-15-2021, 10:13 PM
it has to be. supra website has a lot of small glitches/bugs in it so assuming it's related to that. human eff-up....

You are probably right. Friday they had a 3D boat builder for Supra. I went back out today and it was back to the older boat builder.

Holdmybeer
08-16-2021, 08:22 AM
This is a joke right????? Check the prices? 75% markup in 1 year? 2021 starting at 79K, 2022 starting at 139K....hahaha

Mobius22
08-16-2021, 08:37 AM
Not sure what you guys are seeing... that looks to be the old site. No Moombas are starting over 100K, except the Makai that starts right at 100K

www.moomba.com

Edit... your URL is an Australian site, might be why you're seeing weird prices and the old site layout.

Holdmybeer
08-16-2021, 08:55 AM
Not sure what you guys are seeing... that looks to be the old site. No Moombas are starting over 100K, except the Makai that starts right at 100K

www.moomba.com

Edit... your URL is an Australian site, might be why you're seeing weird prices and the old site layout.

Good catch. I didn't even see that and usually I'm good about checking that.

Working fine now. Thanks

HFarr
08-16-2021, 09:37 AM
I have seen several places,links, that show crazy high starting prices too. Maybe it's a conspiracy by the used boat sites to scare new buyers who don't know any better into buying used.[emoji1]

jcarter20
08-16-2021, 12:03 PM
Ha. Well, I clicked on the link that was sent to me in an e-mail. Not sure why they showed those prices, but the builder appears to be back to the Mojo starting at $89k. Whew!

sandm
08-19-2021, 10:54 AM
up to just shy of 2000 boats on OI.

I don't follow the rv/atv market at all so not sure there but the used car market looks to have peaked from what I have read and seeing the same cars sitting out front of the lots I drive by to work each day. housing stats are starting to retreat and home depot has shown a reduction in foot traffic compared to last few qtrs.
feels like we are going to start to see a slight correction to the madness. question is what it'll amount to.

2in2out
08-19-2021, 12:02 PM
RV market hasn’t corrected. Low inventory and high demand. The seasonal offload is starting adding to inventory, so prices remain high.

I sold my TT a 15 days ago for more than I bought it for. It was loaded with $5k solar system, brand new dual fuel genny, and every accoutrement needed. It was on CL for 4 days and had 2 showings.

There is still mad money out there. House prices are still rising in my neighborhood, and in Austin, prices are still going up.

Making my new SA build come true!!!

HFarr
08-19-2021, 12:13 PM
There are several Travel Trailer dealers I see all the time on I75 in Georgia. Their lots are super loaded. Have been for a while. I am not sure why those prices are up.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

2in2out
08-19-2021, 12:51 PM
There are several Travel Trailer dealers I see all the time on I75 in Georgia. Their lots are super loaded. Have been for a while. I am not sure why those prices are up.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

So, with certain RV companies, they have east coast and west coast divisions and trailers are built differently between the two, and inventory isn’t shifted between divisions. I know Keystone is this way.

It’s really frustrating for buyers who didn’t investigate origination and struggle to get info on a unit that isn’t from the region.

Making my new SA build come true!!!

mgswake
08-19-2021, 10:52 PM
Over 2000 boats listed on only inboards. I think the asking prices are quite high still. Saw a 2021 Mojo on FB for 110k. At that price I’m buying new.