PDA

View Full Version : Surf Pontoon boat

HFarr
08-10-2021, 08:57 PM
I didn't know such a thing existed. This really has some nice potential. They create both a regular and goofy wave at the same time with no ballast!

https://youtu.be/TA4TqCCHIfY

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

sandm
08-10-2021, 09:25 PM
if you look at the waves they are meh and that's a stretch to say that.

lots of other surftoons have been posted on here. search montara and you'll find a few others along with them. most are the same cost as a good wakeboat...

SONIC
08-11-2021, 11:35 AM
Interesting, would like to see what happens if you filled those toons half full with water lol
Wave looks awful, surfable for kids and those that don't know any better but the wave look's pretty terrible IMO

996scott
08-11-2021, 11:41 AM
Thumbs down on the size of the wave. Maybe there is potential, who knows.

schwan
08-11-2021, 12:43 PM
Doesn’t look great in the video, but honestly I look forward to them developing this. Once they get an awesome wave from a pontoon that boat would do everything, but look good.

larry_arizona
08-11-2021, 01:08 PM
Doesn’t look great in the video, but honestly I look forward to them developing this. Once they get an awesome wave from a pontoon that boat would do everything, but look good.

The minivan of boats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
08-11-2021, 01:29 PM
I looked around one at the boat show. Had a lot of open room like a toon. Many boaters love that, not specifically the wake boat crowd.

Price was expensive, a little over 100k.

I’m sure they will have their ‘niche’ buyer that loves it.

That wave looks like a piece of sh!t. Ok, I’ harsh, maybe not to someone who is 5-7yo.

One passed me on the lake last weekend. Everyone was asking me what it was.

It would be COOL if you could produce a surf wave on both sides at once and with 2 surfers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holdmybeer
08-11-2021, 02:59 PM
I looked hard at a surf toon and a jet boat before buying a dedicated wake boat. Coming from an I/O anything that produced a "surfable' wake was considered an upgrade for me.

The pontoon has tons of room but nothing about a pontoon says fun....Larry hit the nail on the head "minivan of boats".
Jet boats I do not have to discuss, enough of you know the appeal for a family but limited once you reach a certain level.

I could see these catching on but the volvo drive is a weakness in my opinion. Looked and many manufacturers that use them but they sit lower in the water than a v-drive. Also most trim the engine up to force or pull the transom down in the water to form the wave. The water then sprays the rider most of the time. Cool design just not for someone like myself that is in 10-12ft of water most of the time. A random log rips the whole outboard off not just a prop.

HFarr
08-11-2021, 04:28 PM
Doesn’t look great in the video, but honestly I look forward to them developing this. Once they get an awesome wave from a pontoon that boat would do everything, but look good.I agree the wave was small looking. I just had never even seen a pontoon surf boat. If they could get it to make good waves, I think they would really take off. They don't look too cool, but the open decks and access are hard to beat for floating around when not surfing. I looked at that Montara, and it's not truly a pontoon. It's a deck mounted on an aluminum hull. Still I think the concept is cool.

HFarr
08-11-2021, 04:32 PM
I looked hard at a surf toon and a jet boat before buying a dedicated wake boat. Coming from an I/O anything that produced a "surfable' wake was considered an upgrade for me.

The pontoon has tons of room but nothing about a pontoon says fun....Larry hit the nail on the head "minivan of boats".
Jet boats I do not have to discuss, enough of you know the appeal for a family but limited once you reach a certain level.

I could see these catching on but the volvo drive is a weakness in my opinion. Looked and many manufacturers that use them but they sit lower in the water than a v-drive. Also most trim the engine up to force or pull the transom down in the water to form the wave. The water then sprays the rider most of the time. Cool design just not for someone like myself that is in 10-12ft of water most of the time. A random log rips the whole outboard off not just a prop.I have a friend that bought a 2021 Yamaha 255XD Surf edition. Let me say, it's not a surf boat for anyone who truly has a surf boat. Not a good wave, and you can't easily flip from regular to goofy. I think even the surftoon can do that easier.

korey
08-13-2021, 09:36 AM
Calling this a pontoon is a complete misnomer. It's an aluminum monohull - not so different from any surf boat (aside from material). it wont ride like a pon/tri-toon. Same with the montara surf boss.

HFarr
08-13-2021, 11:46 AM
Looks like Sea Doo is getting into this game too.
https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/1592921/BRP_Inc__The_All_New_2022_Sea_Doo_Switch_is_a_Game _Changer%C2%A0in_th.jpg?p=publish

Holdmybeer
08-13-2021, 12:00 PM
Looks like Sea Doo is getting into this game too.
https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/1592921/BRP_Inc__The_All_New_2022_Sea_Doo_Switch_is_a_Game _Changer%C2%A0in_th.jpg?p=publish

Not being marketed as a surf boat but they have a "Sport" version.
I like the idea of a jet on a pontoon. Literally, no running gear to damage and the toons would be robust. Perfect shallow water, fishing, channel boat for a family. If it can get to 30phm or so, would be a great lake bar hopper vessel.

I also like the little 14ft flat bottom jet boats guys are running 60mph and doing water-land-water transfers on. Mini-boat mafia guys?