PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Air Exhaust

iaonbb
04-26-2007, 02:46 PM
First off, thanks to Pickle311 for planting this seed in my head...now I can't sleep as I have yet another mod idea for the boat bouncing around inside my head :roll:

Anyway, check this: http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

My initial reaction was like" if it's so great, why isn't it standard on all boats. Only makes sense to vent under the water vs on top." But I have to admit, the comment about the end of the day headache got me thinking. Plus, the noise reduction is what I originally set out to accomplish.

With all of the waterspots we do, particularly wakesurfing, this seems like a very valid topic for discussion.

Why couldn't a guy go to a muffler shop and have them fab two pieces of pipe about 2' long plus a bracket that mounts directly to the exhaust flap holes? I figure it could do a 90deg turn from the transom, straight down 2', then another 90deg turn outward. Don't see why it has to funnel into just one piece? They wouldn't even have to be connected. That way you're assured no back pressure issues or otherwise...just lengthening the system a litle bit essentially. I think it would look prety bad ass IMHO...like an old hot rod exhaust. Couldn't cost that much and the fab work wouldn't be that hard. What am I missing? THinking about pulling it over to Midas or somewhere this weekend and seeing what they could rig up. Any thoughts???

zabooda
04-26-2007, 05:07 PM
If you look at the underwater video and approximate where the swim platform ends (approx. 2 feet beyond the hull), I see the gas bubbles reaching the surface about 2 feet beyond the swim platform which I don't think you gain anything except for those on or near the swim platform. The double connection is for the torque exerted on the device while in a turn.

JoeTechie
04-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Do you want two 4 inch pipes extending below your waterline creating, drag ? It would slow you down, create a HUGE spray (well, actually 2), and probably come off after any sharp turn.

You have to understand the physics at work here. Lean over the gunwall and stick your hand in the water, now tell someone to hit the throttle... now try to keep your hand in EXACTLY the same place. A simple pipe clamp is NOT going to hold your arm there anymore than it will a 4 inch exhaust pipe.

I'm sure the guys at Midas will do a number on your boat !
:shock:

-Joe

iaonbb
04-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Ok, so keep the 2-1 idea...why couldn't something be fab'd for A LOT less $$$. This just seems like such a great idea but the cost benefit just isn't there.

As for Midas (or whomever), they would only bend the pipes and weld a bracket...I would do the install obviously.

pickle311
04-26-2007, 09:37 PM
you also have to keep in mind that the FAE is designed to break away if you hit something rather than transfering the force up to the hull of the boat

smokedog2
04-26-2007, 10:12 PM
I have it, I recommend it. If you install yourself I have a few tricks.

I sent them a better mounting design, I don’t know if they changed to it.

The headache stuff is real, the noise reduction is nice – very nice.

Two pipes – must be an IU grad.

Two feet is forever when you are solving a back draft problem. Watch the Coast Guard tape.

Normally I would dissect these issues in detail but I just got home. This was my first addition to the boat – well worth it IMHO.

If you search me and FAE I link to a Coast Guard report on CO. Before I saw their film I was, as you will see in my early posts – a vocal non-believer.

SD2

hiqualityH2O
04-26-2007, 10:30 PM
CO is a huge concern with us - I was skeptical of the design for the reasons given, however, SD2 your testimonial is good and I think this will be our first option. Thanks

sailing217
04-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Centurion Boats have a sideswipe exhaust. Helps with CO when wakesurfing unless you're goofyfoot, then it's shooting the exhaust on your side.

Future option for Moomba???

qb12
04-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Centurion Boats have a sideswipe exhaust. Helps with CO when wakesurfing unless you're goofyfoot, then it's shooting the exhaust on your side.

Future option for Moomba???

yes the sideswipe is a option. however have you ever heard it. it will blow your ears off.

i would much rather got with the fae over the sidewipe.

just my .02$

iaonbb
06-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Hey Smokedog~ After 2 weeks of hardcore suring we are ordering the FAE first thing Monday! the CO is absolutely killing us. The Wife said "buy it - now" Just curious if you had any more input to share? How exactly does it mount? What was your design improvement...something I could do when I go to mount? How long to install? Special tools? Has it ever come off or become loose? Really excited to see the difference. Don't see my '04 Mobius LS listed on their site so assume they will have me measure something? Anything else? (as if that's not enough questions) :roll: Thanks man!
Marc

deepcove
06-16-2007, 12:47 PM
iaonbb,

How do you have your weight on your LS distributed for surfing? And which side do you surf on?

iaonbb
06-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey Deep~ I ride port (passenger) side. The ballast scenario is still an ongoing experimant. So far, the best setup is a full tank of gas, then I fill the rear hard tank about 3/4 full so that the majority of the water (and weight) shift to the port side. Then I have a 750lb FLy High ProX sac that sits alongside the motor box cover. It is a monster, but actually fits perfectly! Yes, it's a PITA to move around in the boat but well worth it. I just picked up the sac a couple days ago. Don't even bother without it unless you have 6-7 people in the boat, which means 6-7 people's crap to go along with it. Either eway, you're tight on space. I like the sac because the sac doesn't show up with 3 bags full of gear, is never late, doesn't bitch about the CO smell, sitting in the hit sun, blah blah blah. Who needs friends when you've got a 750lb buddy :roll:

The wake is gigantic, however we're still playing around with the center locker sac and placement of people in the boat. Right now, it's almost like the wave is too steep. Again, it's huge but I think we need to try and stretch it out a little more (if that mkaes any sense) as the sweet spot is just too small. It is a very fickle wake and getting it perfect takes the right combo of people, ballast, water and most importantly...a good driver!!!

I'm confidnet we'll get it dialed in though. One word of caution...the rear port side of the boat sits very, very low in the water. You could e asily swamp your boat if you took a huge roller dead on the side. We rode all day yesterday with absolutely no issues but it is worht mentioning.

Just pick up the 750lb and you will be good to go. Plus, you can put it on the back seat centered for wakeboarding and it is downright dangerous the wake is so huge. My buddy can pull backflips all day on it.

Good luck!
MDB