PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Moomba Mobius LSV Starter

hgvandy
08-02-2021, 01:10 PM
I am in a bind. I am almost positive my starter is bad. Checked battery and connections. Everything works, but won’t turn over. What starter do I need. I have asked multiple online sites that sell marine starters with no reply. Need to get it going before vacation this weekend.
Thank you!!!

Holdmybeer
08-02-2021, 01:20 PM
Bottom mount? Assault 325? Monson 310?

Indmar Part# 571006 - this is for both Bakes has it in stock $200

hgvandy
08-02-2021, 05:09 PM
It's Assault 325. Didn't look like a bottom mount. Here is a pic.29974

Holdmybeer
08-03-2021, 07:16 AM
Yeah, that is bottom mount. The bolts come up through the bottom of the starter and into the engine block. Its on the port side, correct?

Its a GM 5.7L 350 based engine. Should be a starter for any 1988-1999 GM pickup truck would work. I'm sure the "marine" version is coated and made for coast guard approval, etc. but in a pitch your local auto parts shop would have it.

hgvandy
08-05-2021, 06:00 PM
Changed out the starter and it still won’t start. I hear a click and nothing else. Battery is good and connections are clean. Any other ideas? I heard a fuse can blow, but I have no idea what those look like or where they are.

hgvandy
08-05-2021, 06:07 PM
I found this fuse and pulled it out and it looks good. Open to suggestions.29981

Holdmybeer
08-05-2021, 06:10 PM
Can you spin the engine by hand?
Put a breaker bar on 1 of the pulley bolts and try to spin it.

Teeth missing on the flywheel?
Starter relay?

parrothd
08-05-2021, 06:13 PM
Can you spin the engine by hand?
Put a breaker bar on 1 of the pulley bolts and try to spin it.

Teeth missing on the flywheel?
Starter relay?

Dead battery..

hgvandy
08-05-2021, 06:37 PM
Changed battery over and still just gives one click when I try and start it. Doesn’t turn over at all.
I have no idea how to spin the engine. I’ll start YouTubing. This one has me stumped.

Holdmybeer
08-05-2021, 10:13 PM
If it is clicking then the ignition relay is pulling it but not the starter relay.

Check all the breakers and fuses.

Ignition relay pulls in starter relay and starter powers and spins. Something is not closing and passing power. Do you have a volt meter or test light?

hgvandy
08-06-2021, 09:24 AM
If it is clicking then the ignition relay is pulling it but not the starter relay.

Check all the breakers and fuses.

Ignition relay pulls in starter relay and starter powers and spins. Something is not closing and passing power. Do you have a volt meter or test light?

Dumb question. Where are the breakers and fuses. Do you test them with a volt meter to check the breakers? I am good mechanically, but weak with electrical.

Holdmybeer
08-06-2021, 09:36 AM
You should have visible breakers under the helm dash. There is also a 4"x6" fuse box way up under the steering wheel mounted to a steering column support, but I believe those are for the ballast pumps

To check the fuses with a multimeter, you turn is to ohms and touch each end of the fuse. You get a number (should be low) it is good, you get no reading or OL )open loop) it is bad.

The breaker you push in on the button to reset it.

Check for loose wires while you are looking. A loose connection to the starter and/or starter relay would cause this.

hgvandy
08-06-2021, 11:18 AM
Sorry for all the questions. I’m thinking of just changing the starter relay. I’m not exactly sure where it is. Does anyone know the part number or a picture of where this is located. I know it must be near the engine.

Holdmybeer
08-06-2021, 12:07 PM
I think on your boat and original starter picture, the solenoid on the top of the starter acts as the relay also. If you replaced the starter, then the solenoid should be new. You need to check if you have 12V at the solenoid when trying to start the boat, will need a helper to turn the key.
Also you will need to make sure the large red cable is tight on both ends, and the ground cable (large black cable) is connected to the engine and tight. Either being lose would cause this problem also.

hgvandy
08-06-2021, 01:23 PM
I just wanted to say thank you so much for all the help again. This group of individuals is incredible. It ended up being a $20 part. The starter relay was bad. You guys saved a vacation next week. Thank you again!

Holdmybeer
08-06-2021, 01:33 PM
Good deal....have fun on vacation.

zabooda
08-06-2021, 02:46 PM
We appreciate the feedback on the fix. Most people never reply back on issues so we never know what the fix was. Help from the people on this forum can save people a lot of time and money and kudos go out to them.

hgvandy
08-07-2021, 01:24 PM
Another issue. I replaced all 3 relays and we have been on the water with no issues. All of the sudden it went to lowest gear. Both in reverse and forward it won’t go faster than the lowest speed. Any ideas: may need to start a new thread.
I don’t have cruise, but I do have perfect pass. Changed the fuel filter this year. Feeling like the fuel pump might be the issue.

hgvandy
08-07-2021, 01:48 PM
Nevermind. Throttle cable came loose. Crazy few days. I’m sure something else will go wrong. Thanks.