PDA

View Full Version : Appreciation post -

Wdavid
07-28-2021, 09:46 PM
I am new to owning a surf boat. I grew up boating, but my dad never really taught me anything about boats, plus my moomba is nothing like the outboard I grew up on. This forum has been amazing for me! Awesome people who are willing to help. I want to especially thank @sandm and @holdmybeer. They Rock! Thank you both for all your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boating406
07-28-2021, 10:49 PM
I do want to second this. This forum has been great for figuring out everything with my boat.

996scott
07-28-2021, 10:56 PM
Absolutely agree 100% The people on this site are incredible and always willing to help......spend my money that is :) In all seriousness, I am grateful to so many on this site for all the help i have received. Thank you!!!!!

haknslash
07-29-2021, 06:39 AM
Yup great site and helpful community!

Holdmybeer
07-29-2021, 07:47 AM
Great site.
Helpful community.
Passes my downtime at work.

Thanks for the shoutout.....but truthfully just trying to pay it forward.

SONIC
07-29-2021, 08:07 AM
I also came from outboards and it's a totally different world. Quite a few years in now and still am not 100% proficient with an inboard if we're being honest lol. This site and others like it are a great resource for learning the ropes.

I can throw my grady white on the trailer in a tide moving so fast it will make your head spin without a second thought, but somehow it makes me nervous every time in the supra on a calm lake haha.

larry_arizona
07-29-2021, 09:14 AM
I also came from outboards and it's a totally different world. Quite a few years in now and still am not 100% proficient with an inboard if we're being honest lol. This site and others like it are a great resource for learning the ropes.

I can throw my grady white on the trailer in a tide moving so fast it will make your head spin without a second thought, but somehow it makes me nervous every time in the supra on a calm lake haha.

I felt the same “tension” whenever docking a DD or VD. Tension got exponentially worse as the price of boat increased.

That tension is now gone with thrusters.

Try docking a DD with a manual transmission lever and a push pull throttle…….lol

Prospersigman
07-29-2021, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=larry_arizona;372022]

Larry with another shameless plug for the Supra Thruster system...I swear he got that thruster for free if he swore to post daily about what a game changer it is...plug ola payt ola Larry:-D:-D

Holdmybeer
07-29-2021, 09:31 AM
I found the worst stress is docking someone else's boat while they watch you.

It doesn't matter the cost then. The boat is their baby and you cannot hurt it.

larry_arizona
07-29-2021, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=larry_arizona;372022]

Larry with another shameless plug for the Supra Thruster system...I swear he got that thruster for free if he swore to post daily about what a game changer it is...plug ola payt ola Larry:-D:-D

I did get a discount lol. But it required no shameless plugs, lol, they are just that good.

You really need very little correction to make a big difference in docking. With practice, you can almost make the boat go sideways.

sandm
07-29-2021, 11:08 AM
I want to especially thank @sandm and @holdmybeer. They Rock! Thank you both for all your help.

W- glad I could help. sometimes I can be an a$$ :) but forums are how I learned how to work on towboats, newer cars and, frankly, how I do a chunk of my diy stuffs so glad to pass on the small bit of knowledge I have. sorry I was not helpful on the o2 issue.

now... stop egging Larry on with the thrusters. I read somewhere he gets $5 for every thread he jacks on how great thrusters are... stop feeding him :)

Holdmybeer
07-29-2021, 11:16 AM
W- glad I could help. sometimes I can be an a$$ :) but forums are how I learned how to work on towboats, newer cars and, frankly, how I do a chunk of my diy stuffs so glad to pass on the small bit of knowledge I have. sorry I was not helpful on the o2 issue.

now... stop egging Larry on with the thrusters. I read somewhere he gets $5 for every thread he jacks on how great thrusters are... stop feeding him :)

He still hasn't posted a video of them in action. I know I can watch all the marketing, but real life people controlling them is different.

larry_arizona
07-29-2021, 11:19 AM
He still hasn't posted a video of them in action. I know I can watch all the marketing, but real life people controlling them is different.

I deserve that.

HFarr
07-29-2021, 11:23 AM
I second everything everyone is saying about this forum. SUPER HELPFUL people on here. I only joined a few months back when I bought my first v-drive. The past experiences of everyone in here is just incredible. You just about can't ask a question someone hasn't experienced already. And even the suggestions and guesses people throw out there when they don't know for sure are great.
Oh and I Double Dog Triple Second the comments about backing and docking these boats! I had no idea it was so different from my old stern drive. First time I backed the new boat up, I was like "what the hell is going on? Is something stuck under my boat? I can't steer this thing at all!". LOL! My wife was looking at me and saying what are you doing? Good Times!!! [emoji1]

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Holdmybeer
07-29-2021, 11:25 AM
I deserve that.

Slacking on you marketing opportunity here.....LMAO
Have your wife dock the boat using the thrusters.....Supra might actually pay you for that commercial. "Thrusters, saving marriages in the boating community."

BigOrange
07-29-2021, 11:28 AM
++++1 to everyone who helps problem solve on the forum. Next time I’m in the boat I know to look for a coolant leak in the heater loop thanks to just browsing the forum.

larry_arizona
07-29-2021, 11:29 AM
Slacking on you marketing opportunity here.....LMAO
Have your wife dock the boat using the thrusters.....Supra might actually pay you for that commercial. "Thrusters, saving marriages in the boating community."

She has not attempted docking, she is however towing me now surfing, this is a big step.

SONIC
07-29-2021, 11:46 AM
I second everything everyone is saying about this forum. SUPER HELPFUL people on here. I only joined a few months back when I bought my first v-drive. The past experiences of everyone in here is just incredible. You just about can't ask a question someone hasn't experienced already. And even the suggestions and guesses people throw out there when they don't know for sure are great.
Oh and I Double Dog Triple Second the comments about backing and docking these boats! I had no idea it was so different from my old stern drive. First time I backed the new boat up, I was like "what the hell is going on? Is something stuck under my boat? I can't steer this thing at all!". LOL! My wife was looking at me and saying what are you doing? Good Times!!! [emoji1]

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I still feel that way most of the time in reverse.
Yesterday I backed off the trailer, no current hit reverse expecting prop walk to starboard like it *Should* do and nope damn thing decided to go hard port.
No current, no wind, bimini stowed.

I can spin it without much issue bumping back and forth but trying to move backwards more than 2 feet and it's a 50/50 crap shoot where it's going to go.
My next one will have thrusters for sure.

sandm
07-29-2021, 11:50 AM
she is however towing me now surfing, this is a big step.

awesome.... does she mind it? my ex hated it but gf loved towing riders.....

larry_arizona
07-29-2021, 11:56 AM
awesome.... does she mind it? my ex hated it but gf loved towing riders.....

She was really nervous at first, but she does really good now.

She doesn’t run me over, although I am sure sometimes she wants to.

sandm
07-29-2021, 12:17 PM
She doesn’t run me over, although I am sure sometimes she wants to.

lmao... I know the feeling... never piss off the boat driver before a tug. any appetite to dock? my gf wanted to learn but we sold the whip. would have made me more nervous than her. we talked about a calm dead day on the water and practicing nudging a throwable in a cove but never found the time.

2in2out
07-29-2021, 12:39 PM
This forum convinced me to spend the most amount of money I didn’t have on something besides my house.

That said, I’ll never look back. The help here has been awesome. When we got our fist Supra, I spent days opening every hatch, crawling through looking at all the components I’d seen in posts here. I gave me an incredible context of the boat and comfort level. I’m actually looking at a position at a SC dealer for post retirement work until I get into my next education program. If I get it, I’ll be on here daily.

Looking forward to my 2nd Supra and being able to spend more time on the water with our upcoming move. Thrusters are a must the CFO says. Her confidence has gotten much better, and since we’ll be moving to warmer waters, she might actually start surfing and let me drive. She loads it like a discerning airline pilot. She’ll wave off when it’s not right.

Currently boatless

Vanfamkaiyen
07-29-2021, 12:50 PM
This forum convinced me to spend the most amount of money I didn’t have on something besides my house.

That said, I’ll never look back. The help here has been awesome. When we got our fist Supra, I spent days opening every hatch, crawling through looking at all the components I’d seen in posts here. I gave me an incredible context of the boat and comfort level. I’m actually looking at a position at a SC dealer for post retirement work until I get into my next education program. If I get it, I’ll be on here daily.

Looking forward to my 2nd Supra and being able to spend more time on the water with our upcoming move. Thrusters are a must the CFO says. Her confidence has gotten much better, and since we’ll be moving to warmer waters, she might actually start surfing and let me drive. She loads it like a discerning airline pilot. She’ll wave off when it’s not right.

Currently boatless

Ha! Airline pilots go around?!? ;)

larry_arizona
07-29-2021, 01:23 PM
lmao... I know the feeling... never piss off the boat driver before a tug. any appetite to dock? my gf wanted to learn but we sold the whip. would have made me more nervous than her. we talked about a calm dead day on the water and practicing nudging a throwable in a cove but never found the time.

I don’t see that happening.

The last 3 years we used a docking pole to lasso the dock pylon, the reversed to pull the stern to dock and because she was involved in that dance she was an 8-10 on stress scale despite it always going smooth.

This year she still grabbed the lasso, but I so gently docked it she dropped stress to 2-3.

Now, mid season, she doesn’t have to participate in docking, other than to hop out and hold boat at dock and tie off, 0 stress.

This is such a good place to be, why mess with it??

I can back trailer like a surgeon, dock like a champ now, and the lakes we go to really don’t lend to the drop off truck driver and wait off the dock until trailer is in water. There is no place to sit and wait off dock.

We are under 5 min in and out with common boat and truck driver, efficiency and being quick is just fine.

If she ever dock rashed the boat, I think it would ruin her for boating.

It’s not that she can’t or won’t try, she can drive a high horsepower 6 speed 3 pedal better than most, it’s just not required I guess.

PS: Thrusters FTMF$5

sandm
07-29-2021, 04:31 PM
PS: Thrusters FTMF$5

that was the best line of the day :)

It’s not that she can’t or won’t try, she can drive a high horsepower 6 speed 3 pedal better than most,

hang onto that one. 99.9% of the general population can't drive a stick anymore. that she can is a win in my book :)
not gonna lie. we just picked up a 2020 camaro ss and we searched for an auto. they are 100% faster than a stick today in every regard and much easier in our horrid stop and go traffic for the few miles a month we drive 'er.

larry_arizona
07-29-2021, 04:37 PM
I have a 6M Gen2 CTSV not exactly stock but it’s slowwwwwwwer than an automatic.

It’s just so much more fun than an Auto.

If you want fast, just get a Tesla plaid, jump in the backseat and let it drive for you.

rhouse181
07-29-2021, 04:54 PM
If you want fast, just get a Tesla plaid, jump in the backseat and let it drive for you.

Who gets to inherit the SA when the Tesla parks you into the tree line and spontaneously combusts?

sandm
07-29-2021, 05:02 PM
I have a 6M Gen2 CTSV not exactly stock but it’s slowwwwwwwer than an automatic.

nice ride for sure.... I do have to say the 6.2 and 10speed auto are a match made someplace magical... iirc it's the same basic tranny in the 'stang as well. car is a friggin beast. not as quick as my old evolution but nothing replaces the sound of an american v8... someday when everything is electrical, hot rodders won't know what they are missing...
unless they buy a boat :)

larry_arizona
07-29-2021, 05:03 PM
Who gets to inherit the SA when the Tesla parks you into the tree line and spontaneously combusts?

I love it,lol

Valid points.

Ohhhhh you won’t catch me owning a Tesla. Nothing more annoying than Musktard and his Tesla fanbois.

larry_arizona
07-29-2021, 05:07 PM
nice ride for sure.... I do have to say the 6.2 and 10speed auto are a match made someplace magical... iirc it's the same basic tranny in the 'stang as well. car is a friggin beast. not as quick as my old evolution but nothing replaces the sound of an american v8... someday when everything is electrical, hot rodders won't know what they are missing...
unless they buy a boat :)

Ford designed the RWD 10 speed and shared design with GM in exchange for GM designing a transverse 9 speed. Then Ford decided not to make cars anymore and doesn’t want the GM 9 speed.

Ford make their 10 speeds and GM builds the same Ford designed 10 speed in their own plants, but it’s still a Ford transmission in a GM lol.

sandm
07-29-2021, 07:05 PM
Ford make their 10 speeds and GM builds the same Ford designed 10 speed in their own plants, but it’s still a Ford transmission in a GM lol.

it's an amazing tranny... I knew there was a reason I should have pushed the GF harder for a 'stang. it's what I wanted but you know how it is keeping the other half happy :)

larry_arizona
07-29-2021, 07:14 PM
The alpha chassis on the Gen6 camaro is outstanding. Handling is so good and lightweight. The LT1 is stout

I just can’t see out of Camaro’s the A pillars are massive and the C pillars are some of the worst blind spots on the market.

sandm
07-30-2021, 01:09 PM
I just can’t see out of Camaro’s the A pillars are massive and the C pillars are some of the worst blind spots on the market.

you are 100% spot on with what everyone says. it is one of the biggest downsides. that and cupholders are in a stupid location and radio screen is tilted wrong but we didn't buy it to eat in and who needs a radio with 6.2liters of soundtrack :)

if they ever successfully move to electric only, surfpipes will stop selling so gearheads can still listen to an american v8....