PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Indicators

Ironman10
07-25-2021, 11:22 PM
Played around with the ballast and auto wake this week on my 21 Makai. Was seeing yellow and red dot indicators next to the fill levels at times. Any ideas what these mean? I couldn’t quickly figure out the correlation.

sleek98
07-26-2021, 06:41 AM
Red dot means the sensor is seeing water on the vent line. Manually burp the bag and confirm that it is actually full.

HFarr
07-26-2021, 09:04 AM
I was checking my ballast bags too this weekend. I get a lot of air in the two rear bags everytime I fill them. I commented on another post about it. Here is a link to me burping one of them. At least the air valve is easy to get to under the little round access hatch in my ballast storage bins on top.

https://youtu.be/JvPQ9EbPzy0

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

HFarr
07-26-2021, 09:06 AM
It's also a 21 Makai by the way. And yes, the red dots indicate completely full by the sensors. Or are supposed to anyway.

Max20
07-26-2021, 09:07 AM
Anyone have a tip on how to burp the front ballast bags?

HFarr
07-26-2021, 09:17 AM
Anyone have a tip on how to burp the front ballast bags?Double that question for me too.

996scott
07-26-2021, 10:07 AM
I don't think you can do the front one. At least on my 21 Craz there is no way to get to the vent plug when it is full of water.

Riddler
07-26-2021, 12:06 PM
I don't think you can do the front one. At least on my 21 Craz there is no way to get to the vent plug when it is full of water.

My 2021 Mondo has vent plugs on both sides of the front ballast bag, which you can access under the bow side seat cushions and/or helm/OB bow backrests.

Ironman10
07-27-2021, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the inputs. Will try to burp them this weekend. I was seeing it jump from 86% to 100%, so definitely sounds like air. Do you have to do this each fill? I saw Hak’s mod in another thread to put in a check valve linking a couple of bags to the overflow port. Anyone do something like this in a Makai to prevent the need for burping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HFarr
07-27-2021, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the inputs. Will try to burp them this weekend. I was seeing it jump from 86% to 100%, so definitely sounds like air. Do you have to do this each fill? I saw Hak’s mod in another thread to put in a check valve linking a couple of bags to the overflow port. Anyone do something like this in a Makai to prevent the need for burping?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHold tight! I just saw a post from Emilware that said he put Kinetic Air vents on his two rear bags, and never has to burp them anymore. I have asked him to post some pictures. If it's what I am thinking, then it is super simple, easy, and cheap.

haknslash
07-27-2021, 11:01 PM
Hold tight! I just saw a post from Emilware that said he put Kinetic Air vents on his two rear bags, and never has to burp them anymore. I have asked him to post some pictures. If it's what I am thinking, then it is super simple, easy, and cheap.

Like below from an old Malibu thread I found. These are the kinetic air vents https://www.dripdepot.com/product/kinetic-air-vent-and-vacuum-relief-valve-protected-outlet-by-irritec

HFarr
07-28-2021, 09:40 AM
Like below from an old Malibu thread I found. These are the kinetic air vents https://www.dripdepot.com/product/kinetic-air-vent-and-vacuum-relief-valve-protected-outlet-by-irritec

29954That's what I thought it was. And Emilware posted a response that shows the same valve. I am going to install a couple and see what happens.

haknslash
07-28-2021, 02:18 PM
Good luck and let us know how it goes. I don’t have the trapped air now that I’ve added the overflow tubing and check valves. That kinetic valve basically seems to act like a sort of check valve once water enters it. What I don’t get is how is the draining any different from stock if the kinetic valve allows air to enter on drain? Since I added the check valves the draining is so much better and the bags can be turned into raisins.

185BR
07-30-2021, 08:47 AM
Did you guys order with or without the pressure check?

HFarr
07-30-2021, 10:12 AM
I didn't order the pressure check. No Need for it in this situation.