PDA

View Full Version : Fuel ussage

mvd
04-26-2007, 06:05 AM
What will be the average fuel consumption an hour of an 07 LSV with standard 325 hp engine when skieing and wakeboarding.

Wakeboarding, no ballast, 3 people in the boat, boarder about 80 kg.
Skieing: Same setup.

What are you experience with fuel ussage, how many hours till the tank is empty, and what wil it consume when cruising for say 5 mph?

My last boat had an fuel consumption meter. Now i have to gues what my friend should pay me when going out on the lake. What are your methodes of calculating fuelcosts?

I don't want to rip them off but also don't want to rip myself off :?

smokedog2
04-26-2007, 07:01 AM
SWAG 1st part 5gph.

2nd I don't know.

mvd
04-26-2007, 02:49 PM
SWAG 1st part 5gph.

2nd I don't know.

What is Swag?

So 5 gph is 18(liter)ph is average for skieeing and boarding.

Buttafewcoe
04-26-2007, 03:35 PM
I always fill up on the way back in from the lake. Of course, that means when we leave to go to the lake, tank is full. I make those that go split the cost based on how much it takes to fill it back up. Generally no bickering.
Hope this helps
B

mvd
04-26-2007, 04:16 PM
I always fill up on the way back in from the lake. Of course, that means when we leave to go to the lake, tank is full. I make those that go split the cost based on how much it takes to fill it back up. Generally no bickering.
Hope this helps
B

I don't trailer the boat so i cant go everytime to the pump to fill with gas.
Just curious what moomba owners think of ther fuel ussage?
My old Rinker with an 4.3l V6 engine did around 20 liter an hour when skieing. I added an fuel flow meter but because of the mpi engine this is not possible now.

So you think 5 gph?

FYI:

A gallon of gas cost around here $ 8,20! But this is Europe, skieing is only for the filthy rich :lol:

qb12
04-26-2007, 04:27 PM
with my 325 i would say i average overall anywhere between 4-6 gallons per hour. that would include boarding, surfing and cruising around.

gas here jumped from 2.63 to 2.79 a gallon :x

mvd
04-26-2007, 05:03 PM
gas here jumped from 2.63 to 2.79 a gallon :x

Lucky you!!! Still $ 6 to go before meeting us!

Engine Nut
04-26-2007, 09:10 PM
If your engine is a 2007 model 325, you should be able to install a fuel flow meter. It would need to go between the fuel pump and the fuel rail. This should give you an accurate reading because the newer engines like yours do not have a fuel return from the fuel rail back to the tank. We have moved the fuel pressure regulator from the fuel rail to the fuel pump bracket. We still return from the pump bracket to the tank but we no longer return from the fuel rail. Just make sure that the flow meter can withstand the 60 psi fuel pressure that the fuel pump produces.

By the way, I havent seen anyone define SWAG for you. It stands for Scientific Wild _ss Guess.

Engine Nut

Hope this helps
B

I don't trailer the boat so i cant go everytime to the pump to fill with gas.
Just curious what moomba owners think of ther fuel ussage?
My old Rinker with an 4.3l V6 engine did around 20 liter an hour when skieing. I added an fuel flow meter but because of the mpi engine this is not possible now.

So you think 5 gph?

FYI:

A gallon of gas cost around here $ 8,20! But this is Europe, skieing is only for the filthy rich :lol:

smokedog2
04-26-2007, 10:22 PM
a Wag is simply a Wild _ss Guess, they are never to be trusted!

mvd
04-27-2007, 05:31 AM
[quote="Engine Nut"]If your engine is a 2007 model 325, you should be able to install a fuel flow meter. It would need to go between the fuel pump and the fuel rail. This should give you an accurate reading because the newer engines like yours do not have a fuel return from the fuel rail back to the tank. We have moved the fuel pressure regulator from the fuel rail to the fuel pump bracket. We still return from the pump bracket to the tank but we no longer return from the fuel rail. Just make sure that the flow meter can withstand the 60 psi fuel pressure that the fuel pump produces.[quote]

This is good news!!! I thought that there was an returnline so an flowmeter is not possible. So what will be the best way to place the sensor?

I found:

Navman Fuel 2100
Lowrance LMF-200 with sensor EP-10
Faria Fuel manager

But i cant find the pressure they can handle. I assume the minmal pressure is 60 psi? Is that the maxium possible pressure in the fuelsystem?

If anyone can help me with the specs of these meters?

Any advise is welcome

A

Engine Nut
04-27-2007, 07:50 AM
The pressure is a nominal 60 PSI. The range is 58-62PSI. It shouldn't get higher than that. The sensor would have to go in the line that goes from the fuel pump to the fuel rail. The line attaches to the pump with a threaded fitting so that would be the logical place to separate the line and add a sensor.

I do not have any information about any of those flow meters.

Engine Nut

mvd
04-27-2007, 09:12 AM
If anyone can inform me witch fuelflow meter i can use it would be a great help!!

Anyone installed one in an EFI engine?

qb12
04-27-2007, 09:21 AM
mvd, do a search under "meter" and back on june 20, 06 "wolf" has a topic on installing one.

hope this helps.

doug

gotmyboat
04-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Larry -

Does the EFI return fuel to the tank when you shut off the motor? This was part of the discussion previously. If the fuel is returning to the tank, then the same fuel would be measured more than once. Especially with a towboat where you are starting and stopping the motor frequently. This is the issue that has kept me from pursuing a fuel flow meter.

Please enlighten us.

Thanks,
Dave

BTW - I have a'05 with 325hp EFI

Engine Nut
04-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Larry -

Does the EFI return fuel to the tank when you shut off the motor? This was part of the discussion previously. If the fuel is returning to the tank, then the same fuel would be measured more than once. Especially with a towboat where you are starting and stopping the motor frequently. This is the issue that has kept me from pursuing a fuel flow meter.

Please enlighten us.

Thanks,
Dave

BTW - I have a'05 with 325hp EFI

The new engines have returnless fuel rails. There is a supply line from the tank to the pump and a return from the pump bracket back to the tank. The fuel pressure regulator is at the pump not at the fuel rail.The outlet side of the fuel pump has a single line that goes from the pump to the fuel rail. If the sensor for a flow meter is instaled in that line it should read all of the fuel that leaves the pump and enters the the fuel rails. The only way fuel can get out of the fuel rails is through the fuel injectors so the meter would read only the fuel that is actually delivered to the injectors and burned in the cylinders. The return from the pump bracket to the tank will not be measured by the meter.

Older engines have a fuel return from the rail to the pump and a flow meter would not be able function properly.

Engine Nut

gotmyboat
04-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Larry, you are da man. If I could make it from Reno to the Jamboree, I'd buy you a beer. Instead, just drink one of the 64 in Ed G's cooler(s). :P

Thanks again,
Dave

mvd
04-28-2007, 05:48 AM
I read that some with some engine's like the mercury it is possible to read out all the engine value's. It is called smartcraft. This is something like the service plug and you can read out tons of values, like temperature, flow, etc etc.

Should this be posible with the Indmar? Any one heard of this option for mechanics?

http://www.boated.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=80622&whichpage=2

I don't like the displays of the floscan but there sensors are good. Should it be possible to hook up and floscan sensor to an faria or navman display?

Engine Nut
04-28-2007, 09:34 AM
I read that some with some engine's like the mercury it is possible to read out all the engine value's. It is called smartcraft. This is something like the service plug and you can read out tons of values, like temperature, flow, etc etc.

Should this be posible with the Indmar? Any one heard of this option for mechanics?

http://www.boated.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=80622&whichpage=2

I don't like the displays of the floscan but there sensors are good. Should it be possible to hook up and floscan sensor to an faria or navman display?

There is a scan tool that our technicians use that reads and displays all of the data from the ECM. It does output fuel flow but the value is a calculated value based on fuel injector on-time not actual fuel flow measured by a flow meter. The tool is available from a company called Rinda Technologies. Their website is www.rinda.com. For any 2006 and 2007 model engine the tool is actually software and cables to use with a laptop computer. On 2005 and older models, there is a hand held stand alone version.

Engine Nut

DOCDRS
04-30-2007, 12:01 AM
larry, to go off topic, I am curious as to what the injector rating in gph and how many of them are there on the 325's?
\
thanks doug

Engine Nut
04-30-2007, 11:12 PM
larry, to go off topic, I am curious as to what the injector rating in gph and how many of them are there on the 325's?
\
thanks doug

The 325 has 8 injectors, one per cylinder. I do not know the gph rating of the individual injectors and that really wouldn't be of great value. The ECM controls the fuel injector on-time in the millisecond range. At idle, each injector is open about 4 milliseconds. At wide open throttle they are open for considerably longer. A general rule of thumb that I have used over the years is that at wide open throttle, an engine may consume approximately 1 gallon per hour for each 10 horsepower. It will use considerably less at lower RPM but it takes lots of fuel to keep an engine running at maximum horsepower.

Engine Nut

mvd
05-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Only coment i got from navman is that the sensor it can handle till 130 liters an hour. Nobody knows anything about maxium pressure.

For my information.

Can you route maximum 60 psi thru a rubber hose? What are the maxium pressure a rubber hose kan handle

Buttafewcoe
05-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Can you route maximum 60 psi thru a rubber hose? What are the maxium pressure a rubber hose kan handle
Too general of a question. Usually fuel hoses (ones I have seen anyway) are marked with I.D. diameter and pressure rating. If you are refering to the lil pitot tubing, I don't think I'd trust it to handle much pressure, at least not long term, anyway.
Hope this helps
B