PDA

View Full Version : Lifting boat out for the season

vonbottle
07-22-2021, 03:15 PM
So we picked up our new Makai in may, it replaced an old 20' glastron - now that we're midway through summer I need to worry about storing the boat, we typically lift our boat out of the water with chain hoists and slings then set beams under the boat and lightly lower it onto them to take stress off the hoists. the boat stays the winter in our boathouse. Does anyone on hear lift their boat out, and if so, two questions, do you use the two lifting eyes at the stern or do you use a sling? and at the bow, the lifting eye the keel, I assume that's for lifting? I asked moomba and I got a fairly vague response with a generic diagram showing a pair of slings straddling the bow attached to the eye - does anyone know how to attach the slings to the eye without causing damage to the gelcoat using hooks or a clevis or whatever? our current slings are fairly stiff and wouldn't work - anyone know what kind of sling to use?
we were hoping to get a lift installed this summer to avoid having to using hoists, but can't get any response from suppliers/installers, and reason I'm worrying about it now is we have to rework the whole lifting system as it was oriented for a 20' boat not a 24' and we typically close up the boathouse Labor day weekend. we use four hoists, two at bow and two at stern and then have four people lift at the same time, the glastron weighed about half as much as the makai, I wonder if the 1 ton hoists are going to be over stressed?