PDA

View Full Version : Observations of SA near max capacity

larry_arizona
07-22-2021, 09:28 AM
Had a rare large crew last night plus lead.

Calculated the following.
Boat 5800
Stock ballast 3500
Lead 575
Humans 1460
On board gear 250

I was at 11585, SA is max rated at 11700.

Boat ate it up, surfed at 11.0mph no problem.

Was at 9.5-10.0 pitch and the wave was ridiculous, had one girl 5 foot tall and the wave looked taller than her when she was in the pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh828
07-22-2021, 09:35 AM
Did you have a scale sitting on the dock before everyone got in the boat? Because that's not a terrible idea really haha

Also if you didn't get pictures I can't blame you, having that many people on the boat you don't have time for anything else it seems

Did you try to get up on a plane while the bags were still full?

larry_arizona
07-22-2021, 09:40 AM
Did you have a scale sitting on the dock before everyone got in the boat? Because that's not a terrible idea really haha

Also if you didn't get pictures I can't blame you, having that many people on the boat you don't have time for anything else it seems

Did you try to get up on a plane while the bags were still full?

I did not have a scale, but for fun I asked everyone for their appx weights. I already know what my gear weighs roughly.

Yes, It was chaotic and got two newbs up for first time (was a little late for pass the handle).

I know these teenagers videoed the wave last night, I will see if I can get any shots of the wave.

TXSurf4
07-22-2021, 10:12 AM
I did not have a scale, but for fun I asked everyone for their appx weights. I already know what my gear weighs roughly.

Yes, It was chaotic and got two newbs up for first time (was a little late for pass the handle).

I know these teenagers videoed the wave last night, I will see if I can get any shots of the wave.

I was going to say Pics or it didn't happen!! LOL:p

SONIC
07-22-2021, 11:02 AM
The problem with running with a big crew is that you're then disappointed when you're out next time with a small one lol

sandm
07-22-2021, 11:07 AM
The problem with running with a big crew is that you're then disappointed when you're out next time with a small one lol

agreed!! my issue with big crews.. less time for me to ride.

Hayden
07-22-2021, 11:08 AM
Had a rare large crew last night plus lead.

Calculated the following.
Boat 5800
Stock ballast 3500
Lead 575
Humans 1460
On board gear 250

I was at 11585, SA is max rated at 11700.

Boat ate it up, surfed at 11.0mph no problem.

Was at 9.5-10.0 pitch and the wave was ridiculous, had one girl 5 foot tall and the wave looked taller than her when she was in the pocket.

That's great news Larry. I cant remember what your prop and elevation are? We need to get some video of an intermediate/advanced surfer, say, 160-200 lbs on a 4.6 - 4.8 board and see how far back they can keep the push, (could be any board just need something for consistency to compare). That was the biggest thing I noticed, the wave didn't seem that much larger....the push just seemed to be endless...all the way back for 20-30' or however long it ended up being. I am headed out to the lake tonight and should have enough people to get some decent video to post up this weekend.

bergermaister
07-22-2021, 11:10 AM

^ This, or it didn't happen... :cool:

larry_arizona
07-22-2021, 11:15 AM
SA400 16x13.9 prop 1100 feet elevation.

jcredible
07-22-2021, 12:54 PM
i have been curious on an SA with 400 and how it does. Glad to hear it performs!

Yzfguy06
07-22-2021, 12:57 PM
i have been curious on an SA with 400 and how it does. Glad to hear it performs!

That is good to know. I've been considering doing the 450 motor...

larry_arizona
07-22-2021, 12:58 PM
My theory is the 400 is plenty for lower elevations. I proved it for my situation.

Full ballast wakeboard would be last test, but at 100/60/60 with medium crew and 575# lead it rocked 23 mph no problem and the wake was huge.

SONIC
07-22-2021, 01:46 PM
My theory is the 400 is plenty for lower elevations. I proved it for my situation.

Full ballast wakeboard would be last test, but at 100/60/60 with medium crew and 575# lead it rocked 23 mph no problem and the wake was huge.

I wakeboarded the other day with 100/100/100 + 600 in lead and 5 adults on board. Elevation about 700ft and it did fine. Took a hot minute to plane out but once up it was no issue. That was on the 16x15 prop. The assist of the surf tabs is crucial when that heavy but they do the job admirably.

larry_arizona
07-22-2021, 01:50 PM
I wakeboarded the other day with 100/100/100 + 600 in lead and 5 adults on board. Elevation about 700ft and it did fine. Took a hot minute to plane out but once up it was no issue. That was on the 16x15 prop. The assist of the surf tabs is crucial when that heavy but they do the job admirably.

That is what the PWT boat runs for ballast, maybe they ran a crew of 7.

Driver, 3 judges, 1 camera man, 2 guests in bow.

SONIC
07-22-2021, 02:44 PM
That is what the PWT boat runs for ballast, maybe they ran a crew of 7.

Driver, 3 judges, 1 camera man, 2 guests in bow.

They also run the 550 lol

larry_arizona
07-22-2021, 03:03 PM
They also run the 550 lol

Yessir and I rode in the 2019 PWT boat and it is a beast.

larry_arizona
07-22-2021, 03:14 PM
Not the greatest video, but only one we got.

My niece is 5’9”for reference. She got up her 2nd try.

But it got from 0-wave in about 5 sec.

https://youtube.com/shorts/50lxylm2ERI?feature=share

larry_arizona
07-22-2021, 04:06 PM
This is 800# more than we normally run.

RPM’s were at 3800 versus 3250 with the added weight.

russellsmojo
07-22-2021, 04:06 PM
Oh man that rope had me so nervous!!! Had a buddy a few weeks ago almost get his man boob nipple ripped off. Fell forward and rope ripped under his armpit. Crazy rope burn.

Wave looks incredible though!

mjb929rr
07-22-2021, 04:18 PM
This is 800# more than we normally run.

RPM’s were at 3800 versus 3250 with the added weight.

After reading this I calculated what we had for passenger weight when I was having issues maintaining surf speed recently. We had 2400 In passengers plus 900 in lead and all full. 4200 rpms and the 450 struggled.

larry_arizona
07-22-2021, 04:52 PM
After reading this I calculated what we had for passenger weight when I was having issues maintaining surf speed recently. We had 2400 In passengers plus 900 in lead and all full. 4200 rpms and the 450 struggled.

Yup, you were 800# over max capacity if your ballast was full.

That explains it.

KnoxMojo
07-22-2021, 07:08 PM

That's what she said? lol.

Larry, running full send with newbies is too much from my experience, they can't handle it. I always dial it way down for them, makes it much easier to find the pocket and rhythm. I am getting the new drive gear, just picked up a new OJ 16x14! Pretty pumped about that. May also try a 15.5x15 that my friends Max runs, just to compare. Keep having a blast!!

larry_arizona
07-22-2021, 07:09 PM

Larry, running full send with newbies is too much from my experience, they can't handle it. I always dial it way down for them, makes it much easier to find the pocket and rhythm. I am getting the new drive gear, just picked up a new OJ 16x14! Pretty pumped about that. May also try a 15.5x15 that my friends Max runs, just to compare. Keep having a blast!!

Great advice on the newb wave. Honestly don’t think I would run that much ballast again. Wave was massive and the sweet spot seems perfect at 10700#

1.76?

KnoxMojo
07-22-2021, 07:13 PM
Great advice on the newb wave.

1.76?

Yes sir!! hopefully back in the water soon. Fortunately we have enough friends with boats that we can still go out. Glad to see you with a packed boat, I know you had a great time!

larry_arizona
07-22-2021, 07:14 PM
Yes sir!! hopefully back in the water soon. Fortunately we have enough friends with boats that we can still go out. Glad to see you with a packed boat, I know you had a great time!

Ron Burgandy is going to love that 1.76!!!

KnoxMojo
07-22-2021, 07:15 PM
Ron Burgandy is going to love that 1.76!!!

Absolutely!! But props are about $200 more now, lol

larry_arizona
07-22-2021, 07:16 PM
Absolutely!! But props are about $200 more now, lol

WELL worth the extra Nibral!!!

KnoxMojo
07-22-2021, 07:18 PM
WELL worth the extra Nibral!!!

All day!! I am pumped.

SONIC
07-23-2021, 09:27 AM

I usually just throw them out with the full wave, haven't really experimented with making it smaller (where's the fin in that!?)
That being said that's probably a great idea and it will save gas when you're going back to pick them up 1000 times :D

larry_arizona
07-23-2021, 09:47 AM
When near max weight, it is hard to turn the boat to retrieve downed rider.

I know the surf tabs force you to turn opposite of the side of your rider, but still it’s slow to rotate.

Probably should shut off swell surf to turn

SONIC
07-23-2021, 10:14 AM

I know the surf tabs force you to turn opposite of the side of your rider, but still it’s slow to rotate.

It pulls the tab in when you slow down automagically

larry_arizona
07-23-2021, 10:18 AM
It pulls the tab in when you slow down automagically

Then it’s just hard to turn LOL

sandm
07-23-2021, 10:49 AM
That being said that's probably a great idea and it will save gas when you're going back to pick them up 1000 times :D

true dat. several noobs I've tried to get up with zero ballast. just trying to get them up is the first trick. don't need any ballast or a wave to make that happen.
several have commented on where the weight is. I tell them first get up, then i'll give ya the wave :)

Josh828
07-23-2021, 03:01 PM
true dat. several noobs I've tried to get up with zero ballast. just trying to get them up is the first trick. don't need any ballast or a wave to make that happen.
several have commented on where the weight is. I tell them first get up, then i'll give ya the wave :)

Ive never thought about this but literally the savings in fuel and time would be unreal...

KnoxMojo
07-23-2021, 06:54 PM

Your tabs retract automatically, you can see that on your screen as well.

larry_arizona
07-23-2021, 07:54 PM
Your tabs retract automatically, you can see that on your screen as well.

I will pay attention, but it’s a PITA to turn at 11500# compared to say 10800#

KnoxMojo
07-23-2021, 07:57 PM
I will pay attention, but it’s a PITA to turn at 11500# compared to say 10800#

Use some of that thruster zen magic, lol

larry_arizona
07-23-2021, 08:15 PM
Use some of that thruster zen magic, lol

Thrusters don’t like full ballast turning to get riders, I overheated them using them like that with a newb rider.

Thrusters work great for aligning a newb rider and docking.

HFarr
07-23-2021, 10:10 PM
I have noticed the difficulty in turning easily in both directions when surfing too. I'm not sure the surf 3 system turns off at idle speed. For example, if surfing regular side, I can turn around easily to starboard, but turning to port is very clumsy. If I flip off the surf left/right switch it turns the same in either direction. Ballast bags full or at any level.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

KnoxMojo
07-23-2021, 10:22 PM
I have noticed the difficulty in turning easily in both directions when surfing too. I'm not sure the surf 3 system turns off at idle speed. For example, if surfing regular side, I can turn around easily to starboard, but turning to port is very clumsy. If I flip off the surf left/right switch it turns the same in either direction. Ballast bags full or at any level.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

It turns easier in the opposite direction of surfing for a couple reasons. 1, the boat isn't actually pointed straight while surfing, the plates and hull push it slightly sideways, called crabbing. 2, The wave coming in at you when you come off throttle also pushes you in that direction as well. That is why it is most always easier to turn away from the wave to go pick up your rider.

I most always come off throttle, reverse for a couple seconds while the wave goes by, then can turn either direction easily with a little throttle to go pick up a fallen rider. This also works well for wakeboarding as to not throw rollers down the lake for the rider.

larry_arizona
07-23-2021, 10:43 PM
It turns easier in the opposite direction of surfing for a couple reasons. 1, the boat isn't actually pointed straight while surfing, the plates and hull push it slightly sideways, called crabbing. 2, The wave coming in at you when you come off throttle also pushes you in that direction as well. That is why it is most always easier to turn away from the wave to go pick up your rider.

I most always come off throttle, reverse for a couple seconds while the wave goes by, then can turn either direction easily with a little throttle to go pick up a fallen rider. This also works well for wakeboarding as to not throw rollers down the lake for the rider.

This is spot on, just got harder with max weight, when coming off throttle, the boat doesn’t get that natural rotation or at least it’s reduced, it plows forward.

I think the wave is so big it just pushes the boat farther forward , doesn’t rotate as much and requires more throttle input with full rudder to turn around. Not a power turn, but 1500rpm and full opposite the wave rudder.

Stazi
07-25-2021, 07:29 PM
Your rope is waaaaay too long. Shouldn’t have to reel yourself into the wave like that.