PDA

View Full Version : New mojo problem

Bigs28
07-15-2021, 09:10 PM
Ive had my mojo for just over a week now and the engine has completely shut off 4 times on me. Completely random. Tonight it happened twice while surfer was behind the boat who crashed into the back of the boat when the boat just stopped. Hope none of you experience the same problem.

RC_Hinojosa
07-15-2021, 09:22 PM
You say you've only had it a week.

Did you follow the break-in proceedure or just load it up and start surfing?

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
07-15-2021, 09:27 PM
Ive had my mojo for just over a week now and the engine has completely shut off 4 times on me. Completely random. Tonight it happened twice while surfer was behind the boat who crashed into the back of the boat when the boat just stopped. Hope none of you experience the same problem.

Check that the safety tether is secure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigs28
07-15-2021, 09:51 PM
I specifically asked my dealer what the break in was and his answer was don't run it at the same rpm for long periods of time and the average watersports run is 90 seconds so just load it and go.

Josh828
07-16-2021, 12:24 AM
I had mine cut off probably 3 times before I realized my leg was hitting the safety kill switch button haha

Buckeye
07-16-2021, 07:12 AM
I bought new this year. My dealer and the manual say 10 hrs. Vary speeds, don’t go full speed, don’t put load on it. I.e. ballast. Check oil often. It actually kind of sucks cause you have a new wakeboat, but can’t really load it up until after breakin. Thats what I was instructed anyways.

RC_Hinojosa
07-16-2021, 07:14 AM
I bought new this year. My dealer and the manual say 10 hrs. Vary speeds, don’t go full speed, don’t put load on it. I.e. ballast. Check oil often. It actually kind of sucks cause you have a new wakeboat, but can’t really load it up until after breakin. Thats what I was instructed anyways.So the new boats do come with manuals....that was my next question for OP.
[emoji57]

larry_arizona
07-16-2021, 08:28 AM
I bought new this year. My dealer and the manual say 10 hrs. Vary speeds, don’t go full speed, don’t put load on it. I.e. ballast. Check oil often. It actually kind of sucks cause you have a new wakeboat, but can’t really load it up until after breakin. Thats what I was instructed anyways.

Two schools of thought.

Break it in like SC and Indmar recommend

Or

Drive it like you stole it.

I opt for the conservative approach of following the manufactures recommendations.

Yes, it’s a long 10 hours waiting to surf and wakeboard, but worth it for longevity even if I personally will never see 300 hours on my boat, the next owners will benefit .

Bigs28
07-16-2021, 08:32 AM
Thank you Josh828. I didn't realize the kill switch had a push button on the end. Just thought it was a pull lanyard like every other boat and waverunner ive owned. I took the boat out and sat like i was and my leg barely touched the end of the kill switch which shut it off.

And as far as break in goes. I guess every dealership in the world runs them for the manual 10 hour recommendation before they fill the ballasts for all those test drives they do. Sorry rc for doing what my dealer told me to do.

larry_arizona
07-16-2021, 08:35 AM
Thank you Josh828. I didn't realize the kill switch had a push button on the end. Just thought it was a pull lanyard like every other boat and waverunner ive owned. I took the boat out and sat like i was and my leg barely touched the end of the kill switch which shut it off.

And as far as break in goes. I guess every dealership in the world runs them for the manual 10 hour recommendation before they fill the ballasts for all those test drives they do. Sorry rc for doing what my dealer told me to do.

You are correct, Dealer demos get surfed heavy right out of the box.

I wouldn’t stress about it.

Just going to say I would never trust a dealer though.

RC_Hinojosa
07-16-2021, 08:37 AM
I guess every dealership in the world runs them for the manual 10 hour recommendation before they fill the ballasts for all those test drives they do..

This isn't the case for custom ordered boats....my dealer wasn't taking randos out on my ride before handing me the keys. [emoji2375]

HFarr
07-16-2021, 09:14 AM
These engines are tougher than you give them credit for. Once the rings and valves get seated, they are good to go. And it doesn't take as long as the manuals say. They play it very safe. And all the things you said about dealers and demos are very true.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

sandm
07-16-2021, 11:01 AM
These engines are tougher than you give them credit for. Once the rings and valves get seated, they are good to go. And it doesn't take as long as the manuals say. They play it very safe.

break in has been discussed across the internets and here ad nauseum. hfarr sums it up.
break in has been around for longer than any of us and with engine tech today it's not as critical as it once was. rings and cam lobes are the important pieces and rings will start to land once that engine is started at indmar and todays assembly lubes and oils help ensure these parts land properly.

not telling or suggesting anyone do anything differently but car/mc/boat owners have been following both camps for years and years. if there was such a huge difference in engines following a babied break in vs run and go we would see much different vehicle delivery speeches and lawyers/bean counters at the manufacturer level would have changed initial ownership procedures/warranties to limit liability on their end.

in the end, the single most important thing you can do to protect a new engine is use the recommended oil and change it early and often to get all the metal out.

csm
07-16-2021, 12:05 PM
Definitely sounds like kill switch. I had that happen several times while I was docking before I figured it out. Several times when I would reach my hand for the dock the engine would die. For me, it was because I allowed the seat to swivel at all times. Now while driving I lock it in place and my knee can’t really hit the switch inadvertently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

larry_arizona
07-16-2021, 01:17 PM
Sounds like there should be a guard over the kill switch.

cwfehr
07-16-2021, 01:25 PM
I had the same thing happen to me with my Max. Launched it, and drivong out of the marina my leg hit the kill switch. By the time I figured out what happened I almost ran into parked boat. Definitely, relocate the switches higher so your leg doesn't contact it

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

RC_Hinojosa
07-16-2021, 01:28 PM
I would think it's desined that way in a push/pull fashion.

No one does, but in Texas, new boating law states the killswitch is to be attached to the driver.

Everyone has seen the youtube video of the folks on a baja type boat where the driver and passengers eat it and fly in different directions...

If it was attached to you and you lost control flying port, the lanyard would disconnect and shut it down. If you lost control and flew starboard you may not move enough to pull the lanyard but in this case your body would depress the outer "button" ....and shut it down.