PDA

View Full Version : Re-arranged Gauges

cab13367
04-25-2007, 02:07 AM
I re-arranged my gauges tonight based on what made the most sense to me. Results below. I only had to cut and re-splice three wires which I didn't think was too bad considering that I moved 4 of the 6 small gauges.

Al

http://mysite.verizon.net/albrenda/pics/boat/IMG_2892.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/albrenda/pics/boat/IMG_2893.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/albrenda/pics/boat/IMG_2894.JPG

zabooda
04-25-2007, 03:39 AM
Yep, good move. Is SC still putting the depth gauge on the side? Switching the voltmeter with the depth gauge was one of the first things I did on my '98. At least your depth gauge matches the rest of the guages. Mine was probably an aftermarket on that year. I can't imagine hitting bottom because one was looking ahead instead of looking down at the throttle.

"Yeah, but when I hit bottom my alternator was putting out a good 14 volts".

cab13367
04-25-2007, 10:44 AM
zabooda,

Stock configuration of the secondary gauges was:

Left side - Voltmeter on the left, oil pressure on the right
Right side - left to right: Temp, Fuel, Depth gauge
Above throttle - wakeplate position gauge

Yeah, always looking down by the throttle to look at the wakeplate position was not ideal (to put it nicely).

I also wanted to switch the fuel and depth gauges but it entailed a lot of work for not much gain so I didn't do it. It's close enough.

Al

Nafplio
04-25-2007, 11:19 AM
No idea who makes them. Got mine from the dealer. Switched with the voltmeter as well.

zabooda
04-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Good to see the depth guage on the front console. Poor voltmeter never gets any respect and always the guage that is moved.

Richard Peabody
04-25-2007, 05:15 PM
cab13367

I will be picking up my new XLV this Sunday or the first of next week. I would like to make the same guage changes you've done. Can the entire instrument panel come out to make it easy to work on or do you need to stand on your head to get behind the panel? Any insight or techniques to making the gauge switch would be helpful.

Thanks Richard

qb12
04-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Nice.

With my lake levels constantly falling, I gotta get a depth guage.

Any idea who makes 'em for Skiers Choice?

ed, when i had my outback, i installed a hummingbird with the puck transducer and it worked great. The install was pretty simply and i drilled a new whole in the dash for it.

Cab, great job. I would like to do what you have done. I can't stand always looking down to see where i have the wakeplate.

db

cab13367
04-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Richard,

I am sure that you can remove the entire dash but I don't know that it would necessarily make the job any easier. It's actually not that bad. First thing I did was to remove the driver's seat (easy, 4 screws and 4 nuts on my 06) which makes it a lot easier to access. You will see that they've got zip ties all over the place keeping all the wires secured. I looked at the gauges I was going to move and started snipping all the zip ties that were in the way (nice, sharp wire cutters helps, careful not to accidentally snip any wires). Each gauge (except for the depth gauge which was hard wired) has a connector that you can disconnect and two nuts holding the gauge in place, so it makes it easy to disconnect and push the gauge out the front. I labled each half of the connectors with a Sharpie, disconnected and removed the gauges, and re-installed them where I wanted them. I then moved the appropriate connector to the new gauge position and only snipped the wires that I had to. Most of the wires were long enough to reach the new locations so I only had to snip and reconnect three wires. Trace the wire the you need to snip towards the new location and you will easily see where you need to re-splice it in.

Hope that helps.

Al

Richard Peabody
04-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks Al for the detailed directions. I just hope mine goes as smoothly as yours did. When I placed the order for the boat I tried to get the dealer to ask the SC to make the gauge locations changes I wanted but was told the panels are pre-assembled and SC would not make the change. So now it's my turn to give it a try.

Thanks again Al

Richard

cab13367
04-25-2007, 11:41 PM
No problem. Just take your time and I'm sure you'll have no problems.

And congrats on the new boat.

Al

Tyger
06-29-2008, 11:55 PM
(wrecking this thread)

A word to the wise (from someone not so wise :P):

If you are going to re-arrange your guages make sure you get the wires back in the correct spot the first time. I only maked the wire locations after I pulled the temp guage and walked to the garage and back, so I wasn't sure about the location of two wires. I figured I would just try them both ways and see which one made the needle move.

Well after that neither my temp guage (which I had moved) nor my fuel guage (where I drew power for the depth guage I was adding). This was a while ago and I finally got it into the shop to get it fixed since I couldn't figure it out. They told me the guages were fried and I'd have to get new guages.

While I was waiting to check out, I saw a Moomba tach sitting on the counter. I looked at th sticker around it and it said not to mis-connect these two wires or you could damage the guage.

However, now that things are fixed, I enjoy having my guages in spots that make more sense to me. I just wish I had been more careful.

On the positive side, Rinker's Boat World treated me good on the price of the repair.

cab13367
06-30-2008, 01:38 AM
Tyger,

Really sorry that you encountered issues. Glad you are back in business and are liking the new gauge locations.

Al