PDA

View Full Version : Flying boat cushions

jroberts
04-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Does anyone else have probelms with the boat cushions flying out of their boat on the highway, or is it just me? I went to pick up my new 2003 Mob LSV today, and on the way home I lost one out the back. Luckily, I got it back (with a scuff-- doh!!!!), but I don't want to sweat this everytime I get over 50 mph. Do I really need to stuff all of my cushions in storage when I travel? Oh yeah, and what's the best way to get a new cushion? Do the dealers carry these things? Thanks guys.

-New Mobius Owner

Nafplio
04-25-2007, 12:27 AM
I had the same problem. The walkthrough windblock took care of it.

iaonbb
04-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Nafplio~ Did you ever post a write-up on how to make one of those? I've been considering doing one from either plexi or canvas but looking for more ideas? Love to know how you did it, where you got the materials and cost? thanks

Wolf-
04-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Nafplio~ Did you ever post a write-up on how to make one of those? I've been considering doing one from either plexi or canvas but looking for more ideas? Love to know how you did it, where you got the materials and cost? thanks

*bump*

NH Moomba
04-25-2007, 08:00 PM
I think there was a discussion about this a few years ago and somebody said they used some Velcro with adhesive on the back side to solve it.

Andy

Nafplio
04-25-2007, 11:05 PM
I made a mock-up and then had a local plastics shop cut the pieces out of 1/2 inch plexiglass stock. It was fairly easy. You can sand the plexiglass to round out the edges. It was well worth the effort and money (~ $150). The only thing I regret is that instead of clear, I got the smoke color. I borrowed the idea from the how to section of wakesiderides.com. There are a couple of pics in my webshots photos.

Pike
04-26-2007, 01:33 AM
I am trying to imagine how this would happen (A) and how you would even know they flew out (B). Anyone with a newer(06,07) boat have this happen?? Mine seem pretty snug.....

Buttafewcoe
04-26-2007, 04:42 AM
I lost my back seat out of my Outback, but that was out of stupidity. We were docking, and I had been emptying the rear ballast and had the seat laying on the sunpad. The trailer got to the ramp and I throttled over to the dock. I guess the seat slipped off the sunpad and headed for Davie Jones' Locker. $190.00 for a replacement.
Never had one blow out though
B

JoeTechie
04-26-2007, 09:41 AM
The '06/'07 LSV's have the middle cushions that are not snug. The smallest one behind the drivers seat, and the one over the cooler. I have almost lost mine many times. You can see them bouncing in the rear view mirror sometimes and I slow down. It only happens over 65mph, so many that do not tow on highways may never experience it. I got simple and used a 5 lb ruberized wieght plate, and a piece of the non-skid foam mat. So far, so good.

-Joe

cab13367
04-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Joe,

Thanks for the warning. I have an 06 LSV and have not given the cushions a second thought. I will have to keep an eye out for them, or snap in the bow cover when towing.

Thanks,

Al

Madtown Mobius
04-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys! Now you've got me worried. I pick up my '06 LSV this weekend and have a six hour trip back home with it. I have the full cover for it and do not want to tow it at highways speeds with the cover on for fear of burning the gelcoat. I'm thinking the cushions will be riding shotgun with me in the truck :D

JesseC
04-26-2007, 03:02 PM
I always put the cushions in the back of the truck. I lay out a poncho in the back of my Tahoe and place the cushions vertically next to each other. There is still enough room for two coolers of beer next to them and my truck is just a two door.

jroberts
04-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Luckily, my wife was driving behind me and saw it fly out. It was the small one that covers the cooler. This was the first time that I have towed behind my Honda Pilot, and I am going to have to do something with the rear suspension. I think that a contributing factor was that the back of the pilot (and hence the nose of the 2003 Mobius LSV) was way down. The wind coming in at that angle pbobably caused some turbulence issues that would not exist otherwise.

JoeTechie
04-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Also make sure to get the right tongue for your hitch receiver. A lot of them are "flipable", either 2" down, or 1" up - I had mine installed in the lower position, and at the last Jambo - I bottomed out on the steep ramp, I reversed it, and no problems now... amazing what a 3" change will do!

-Joe

Geoffrey18
04-26-2007, 09:47 PM
I have problems keeping the cushion over my cooler in my 06 Outback V staying on while towing. My dealer actually lost the cushion on the Interstate while towing back from the test drive. They had to rob one from another boat. Luckily I havent lost it yet but it has come off while towing but stayed in the boat.

scottman
04-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Lost the cooler cushion from my 06 outback v the first weekend I towed on the interstate without the walkthrough glass. Recovered it with only a slight scuff and store it in the back when towing now.