PDA

View Full Version : Surf practice on a onewheel.

mjb929rr
07-07-2021, 08:29 PM
Was wondering if anyone here rides a onewheel and what there opinion is on it helping there surf skills? Wife and I purchased 2 last fall. After 800 miles on mine I can honestly say it massively helps with balance and overall comfort on a board. The overall feel is very similar to snowboarding or wake surfing.

larry_arizona
07-07-2021, 09:03 PM
I am positive anything that works on your balance is surf beneficial.

Now don’t laugh, but for years I did yoga to compliment heavy weight training and had ridiculous balance and flexibility.

Now I am old, fat and out of shape, but I surfed fairly easily for the first time 2 weeks ago and my balance memory is still there, I credit the muscle memory of all the yoga I did. Ended up dropping the rope pretty comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh828
07-07-2021, 10:42 PM
I’ve never rode or even seen a one wheel and for $1000-2000 bucks I probably never will haha
But I used to ride a “wave” which later turned into a “rip stick” and I gotta say I think it helped a lot first learning how to surf as I don’t snowboard or wake board.
The only bad habit from it is you get speed from doing a S motion and I was doing a S instead of pumping the board for a while haha

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210708/f10c302a152f09b21f383746cedd6485.jpg

VA LSV
07-08-2021, 07:32 AM
We used balance boards similar to this.

https://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Balance-Board-Training-System/dp/B014LV2H9K/ref=sr_1_31_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=balance+board&qid=1625743717&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-31-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE0WUM3TjY2QjNGTVMmZ W5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0OTAxNTUzMk9RWFNFSTFBNE5IJmVuY3J 5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3NjU5MzMxTlM3U0hMWUFLNFZDJndpZGdld E5hbWU9c3BfYnRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm9 0TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

HFarr
07-08-2021, 08:30 AM
I’ve never rode or even seen a one wheel and for $1000-2000 bucks I probably never will haha
But I used to ride a “wave” which later turned into a “rip stick” and I gotta say I think it helped a lot first learning how to surf as I don’t snowboard or wake board.
The only bad habit from it is you get speed from doing a S motion and I was doing a S instead of pumping the board for a while haha

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210708/f10c302a152f09b21f383746cedd6485.jpgMy kids rode ripsticks when they were younger. They picked up surfing pretty quickly. Funny thing is my younger son keeps catching himself doing exactly what you just said about the s turn or wiggle with his back foot too instead of pumping when he starts to lose speed. Hard to break a habit I guess.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

parrothd
07-08-2021, 09:32 AM
Hey, fellow Onewheeler!

A Onewheel will help a lot, it's almost the same feeling as wake surfing. Currently have 4 one wheels and have riden about 5000k miles on it. You can adjust the the ride settings and it will almost mimic surfing. It's hell of a lot of fun, but you have to pad up concrete is hard. Carving, goofy, stability will all be quickly improved. If you're wanting to learn more spinny tricks I'd recommend a wake surf trainer, but if you like surfing or snowboarding in powder you'll love a Onewheel.

RC_Hinojosa
07-08-2021, 09:54 AM
Hey, fellow Onewheeler!

A Onewheel will help a lot, it's almost the same feeling as wake surfing. Currently have 4 one wheels and have riden about 5000k miles on it. You can adjust the the ride settings and it will almost mimic surfing. It's hell of a lot of fun, but you have to pad up concrete is hard. Carving, goofy, stability will all be quickly improved. If you're wanting to learn more spinny tricks I'd recommend a wake surf trainer, but if you like surfing or snowboarding in powder you'll love a Onewheel.

+1 on the wakesurf trainer.

Even my 3 year loves to play around on it because she's so stoked to learn to surf...she squeals at how easy it is to spin while maintaining balance.

You can easily adjust the difficulty factor by what surface you are on....carpet vs. gym tile vs. hard floor.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210708/c8a0dd513bb46a292754a6d06211148a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210708/8df4450aa8cb2339086fead1bc8a91b0.jpg

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
07-08-2021, 10:40 AM
Just ordered wakesurf trainer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dank
07-08-2021, 04:35 PM
.....Or... go to your local skatepark and learn to ride some 12 foot pools and bowls. I started again a few years ago (mid-late 40's) when my kid wanted to go and I'm full on addicted (actually prefer it, since all you need is you and your board).

Trust me, you won't want to slam there.. you learn balance real quick.

the local skater kids have a nickname for me and guys I ride with: "dads with pads". LOL. Don't care - I'm as good as any of them whippersnappers!

Some of these new skateparks are insanely awesome, so smooth and huge. We never had that back in the day!

RC_Hinojosa
07-08-2021, 04:48 PM
.....Or... go to your local skatepark and learn to ride some 12 foot pools and bowls. I started again a few years ago (mid-late 40's) when my kid wanted to go and I'm full on addicted (actually prefer it, since all you need is you and your board).

Trust me, you won't want to slam there.. you learn balance real quick.

the local skater kids have a nickname for me and guys I ride with: "dads with pads". LOL. Don't care - I'm as good as any of them whippersnappers!

Some of these new skateparks are insanely awesome, so smooth and huge. We never had that back in the day!"Dads with Pads" sounds like an SNL skit about incontinence, lmfao [emoji1787]

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

Chubbysurfer
07-08-2021, 07:59 PM
My 15 yr old son and I both got Onewheel Xr’s for Christmas this past year. We already have about 400 miles on them…the things you do to hang with your kids. Not only is it great for balance but man is it fun to carve when the boat isn’t an option. However, I have broken a few ribs on the Onewheel…something I don’t have to worry about when surfing. My 21 mojo was shipped on Friday (maybe the last one out of the factory for 21’s?)…hoping it’s here by next week!!!