PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish Moomba Outback

NotQualifiedCapt
07-05-2021, 10:36 AM
I’ve taken my boat out 3 times since the season started and each time it’s been sluggish. It was fine last year with no problems. I can’t get the guy who winterized it to call me back. Worked fine before he did. Now it feels like it has little power and the engine sputters. Changed the gas out and still doing it. So frustrating. 2007 Moomba Outback LSV with an IndMar Assault 325.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon
07-05-2021, 01:00 PM
When was the fuel filter changed last?

zabooda
07-05-2021, 01:56 PM
After 15 years, there should be many things changed out. If not, it all starts now.

NotQualifiedCapt
07-05-2021, 02:24 PM
When was the fuel filter changed last?

Just got the boat last year so I don’t know. Ran fine all season. Is it possible I messed something up during the de-winterization process?

Jon
07-05-2021, 02:28 PM
Fuel filter should be changed at least every season. You should start there.

NotQualifiedCapt
07-05-2021, 02:31 PM
Fuel filter should be changed at least every season. You should start there.

After 15 years, there should be many things changed out. If not, it all starts now.

Can I just get one from an auto parts store or does it need to be some special boating one? I have a 2007 Outback LSV with a 325 Indmar Assault engine.

Jon
07-05-2021, 03:03 PM
NAPA 3299 or something similar.

Holdmybeer
07-06-2021, 06:35 AM
Where are you located?
I only ask because I met a guy yesterday with the same boat having similar issues then is just stopped running. Either fuel filter and/or pump.

If you don't have maintenance records for at least the past 2 years then assume nothing has been done. Which means you get to do/check 15 years of maintenance. None of it is hard, but takes time away from the water.

NotQualifiedCapt
07-06-2021, 06:36 AM
Where are you located?
I only ask because I met a guy yesterday with the same boat having similar issues then is just stopped running. Either fuel filter and/or pump.

If you don't have maintenance records for at least the past 2 years then assume nothing has been done. Which means you get to do/check 15 years of maintenance. None of it is hard, but takes time away from the water.

Outside of Raleigh NC.

VA LSV
07-06-2021, 06:51 AM
Replace the fuel filter and spark plugs.

secondsupra2004
07-06-2021, 10:06 AM
Just got the boat last year so I don’t know. Ran fine all season. Is it possible I messed something up during the de-winterization process?

Its interesting that it was OK last season. Fuel filter can't hurt, especially if its never been changed but I would retrace what you did during de-winterizing. If they pulled the spark plugs and foamed the cylinders, they could have damaged the tip of one of the plugs. Also, you/they may have crossed one of the spark plug wires. Either can happen and its happened before. Make sure the firing order is correct and that all boots are snapped on the spark plug securely. Back in my early years as a mechanic, I tuned up my car and it had a miss afterwards. My brother told me to check the plugs, and sure enough, I had closed the tip on one of the plugs during installation.

VA LSV
07-06-2021, 11:35 AM
Its interesting that it was OK last season. Fuel filter can't hurt, especially if its never been changed but I would retrace what you did during de-winterizing. If they pulled the spark plugs and foamed the cylinders, they could have damaged the tip of one of the plugs. Also, you/they may have crossed one of the spark plug wires. Either can happen and its happened before. Make sure the firing order is correct and that all boots are snapped on the spark plug securely. Back in my early years as a mechanic, I tuned up my car and it had a miss afterwards. My brother told me to check the plugs, and sure enough, I had closed the tip on one of the plugs during installation.

When I put my boat up after the 2019 season it was running great. Idled fine on the fake a lake when de-winterizing but on the water it wouldn't accelerate. Replaced the spark plugs and all good. None of the plugs looked really bad but a couple were questionable. No issues when de-winterizing this year.

NotQualifiedCapt
07-06-2021, 04:44 PM
When I put my boat up after the 2019 season it was running great. Idled fine on the fake a lake when de-winterizing but on the water it wouldn't accelerate. Replaced the spark plugs and all good. None of the plugs looked really bad but a couple were questionable. No issues when de-winterizing this year.

I think this may be the issue with mine. A mechanic I spoke with over the phone said they may have used something in the engine that shouldn’t be used with fuel injected engines that ruins the plugs.

NotQualifiedCapt
07-06-2021, 04:48 PM
I’m away on a trip and need to order a distributor cap. Anybody know which one the 2007 Indmar Assault 325 takes?

VA LSV
07-07-2021, 09:01 AM
https://skidim.com/cap-distributor-vortec-hvs.html

NotQualifiedCapt
07-09-2021, 04:37 PM
https://skidim.com/cap-distributor-vortec-hvs.html

Okay. I got the new cap, wires and plugs. Installed everything and now it doesn’t even kick over. The plugs that were recommended were the NGK BPR6EFS. It was a local mechanic but I’m not sure if he’s right. Anybody have this issue before?

NotQualifiedCapt
07-10-2021, 12:38 PM
Okay. I got the new cap, wires and plugs. Installed everything and now it doesn’t even kick over. The plugs that were recommended were the NGK BPR6EFS. It was a local mechanic but I’m not sure if he’s right. Anybody have this issue before?

Replaced the wires, plugs and EFI and now it works perfectly fine. Runs like a top. Swapped out the NKG plugs with AC Delco. Jumped it with my car and it’s fine now.

secondsupra2004
07-10-2021, 04:22 PM
Great news. Glad you’re back in action.

NotQualifiedCapt
07-10-2021, 04:23 PM
Great news. Glad you’re back in action.

Thanks man. Me too. That crap was exhausting mentally. Family vacay next week at the lake and leaving tomorrow made this crunch time. I am grateful for the support on this forum. Wouldn’t have figured it out without it.