PDA

View Full Version : Slalmon behind 21 SL

cwfehr
07-02-2021, 10:22 PM
Seriously considering giving this a go. Haven't slalmoned in about 20 years, but how hard could it be, right? Anybody ski with their SL?

Wondering if a narrower ski is better than a more forgiving, wider ski? I'll need to test the wakes at 28 mph and see if it is doable. What do I do with 800lbs of lead we use for surfing? Geez, that will be some work unloading and reloading for a ski!

Maybe I need to find a friend with a DD. These are first world problems!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Holdmybeer
07-03-2021, 07:27 AM
Empty everything and put the 800# in the bow. Trim plate all the way down. It won't be pretty but it is doable.

Ralphy
07-03-2021, 08:26 AM
I seond that. I ski behind our Mondo which is supposed to be a crossover boat, and it's doable however you need to be in the 30's. Weight in the front. At 28 mph you won't be happy with the wake. A narrower ski won't do you any favors at low speeds either, you'll need to keep them on edge with lots of line tension. I would recommend an open water ski to get you going after 20 years. It'll also cross the wake easier. Evo.com has HO Freeride (blem) on sale for $157 now. It's good up to 32 mph. Practice a little and figure out what you want at that point.

cwfehr
07-03-2021, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the advice. Trying to find a couple of skis I can try before I buy anything. Will check that one out.

I might take the 500 lbs of lead midship out to try this. Leave the 300 in the bow and see what that looks like. I will try and take a picture or two of the wake and post.

Cheers

HFarr
07-03-2021, 10:10 AM
If you haven't ski'd in 20 years, get the Advil ready!!![emoji38]

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

cwfehr
07-03-2021, 11:47 AM
Hahaha, yup. Its gonna hurt

Holdmybeer
07-03-2021, 11:56 AM
Don't cross fast and you won't need the advil.
The legs might feel a little jello like afterwards. Be prepared to just float for a few afterwards.
I started stretching before we go out.....getting old hurts

HFarr
07-03-2021, 05:13 PM
The whole reason I got rid of my old boat and bought a surf boat was so that I could keep doing water sports (Lower impact surfing) and not feel all the joint aches and pains that kneeboards and wakeboards give you as you get older. Now I get to keep driving the boat and watch all my kids and their friends surf all the time. [emoji848]. Up side is at least my knees don't hurt! [emoji2957]

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

yearround
07-13-2021, 11:11 AM
AHH yes to skiing! I ski almost weekly with a friend on his MC DD. occasionally we would ski behind our LSV when we had it, and now our Mondo. I concur with most of what is said above. i would not remove the lead, or even move it around. It would not be worth the effort for the 5 minutes you will ski. the wake bump will be big, you may show the fin clear out of the water. I would certainly go with a freeride type ski. a comp on edge i htink will really suck. I ski an old HO Triumph. and we don't ski course.

RUGER761
07-13-2021, 01:20 PM
We ski every so often on our Makai, 31-32mph seems to be about right for it to minimize the wake with people in the bow.

shockthis
09-15-2021, 10:35 AM
I ski behind our Sl sometimes, I usually go 33mph it is actually not that bad, I use a HO Freeride.

996scott
09-15-2021, 01:50 PM
I've skied our Craz a half dozen times since we got it and it isn't too bad. 32mph, wake plate all the way down, and even a little extra weight in the bow works pretty good.

Holdmybeer
09-15-2021, 02:04 PM
I know the surf plates are for surfing, but I wonder if they would help the ski wake. I also know they won't deploy over ~15mph so this is something that cannot actually be tested. But similar to the new "Go Home" or "Launch" feature. They could deploy to help plane without dragging the skier to far, then stay deployed at 10% or so to help keep the transom out of the water. Might be a way to turn a surf/wake boat into a 3-in-1 sports boat.

Just bored at work and thinking with my keyboard.

Ralphy
09-15-2021, 11:24 PM
I'm sure skiing is not a priority for the manufacturerrs right now. Out of the 165 homes on our lake, only two families ski regularly. Rest is split between surfing and pontooning for the lack of better term. Someone would have to be a really good and dedicated skier to dish out $100K++ for a good ski boat. Much easier to convince mama to spend the $$ if she and the kids will participate LOL.

HFarr
09-16-2021, 11:33 AM
I hardly ever see anybody ski anymore. I have several sets and some nice EP competition skis too. From way back in my more resilient days! My kids have used them a couple times, but now it's wakeboard, surf or tube. Not just me, but almost everyone on our lake. When you see someone on skis, they really stand out.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

HFarr
09-16-2021, 11:34 AM
And I should add kneeboarding to that common list too. Still see a lot of that too.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Zog
09-16-2021, 01:24 PM
We make all the kids learn how to slalom. We are able to get a decent wake behind our Mojo by loading ballast up front and putting the wake plate all the way down to launch. It helps some people to pull from the tower rather than the pylon, but that is up to you.