PDA

View Full Version : Steering cable and install

rockymtnsurfer
06-27-2021, 09:25 AM
Anyone know the part number or link to a new steering cable for a 2019 Max (Sunday and everyone closed....was shopping online)

Has anyone changed out their cable on this boat and possibly year.

Thanks

Holdmybeer
06-27-2021, 09:41 AM
Try this.
https://waterskis.com/20-steering-cable/

I cannot believe it would be bad already. 3 yrs is a little much. Maybe warranty work from dealer?

larry_arizona
06-27-2021, 05:20 PM
Should be covered under warranty still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockymtnsurfer
06-27-2021, 06:17 PM
Thank you.....I believe the same thing, however I have had it looked at numerous times and they think its ok, but I know something is not right. My steering is super stiff!!! like really stiff, especially when ballasts full. No one that I know of with the same boat has had the same issue. Even Jim at Jim's props who has been doing props for years is surprised. The reason I am speaking with him is this was a recommendation from one of the Moomba dealers after they looked at it twice. I figured for $200 or less, maybe just try it out. I am at a loss right now with figuring out the issue. Like I said, 4 times into the moomba shop and no real anwser, and they won't go on the lake with me to check it out. Closest lake is a hr away. Not sure what to do.

rockymtnsurfer
06-27-2021, 06:18 PM
Thank you.....I believe the same thing, however I have had it looked at numerous times and they think its ok, but I know something is not right. My steering is super stiff!!! like really stiff, especially when ballasts full. No one that I know of with the same boat has had the same issue. Even Jim at Jim's props who has been doing props for years is surprised. The reason I am speaking with him is this was a recommendation from one of the Moomba dealers after they looked at it twice. I figured for $200 or less, maybe just try it out. I am at a loss right now with figuring out the issue. Like I said, 4 times into the moomba shop and no real anwser, and they won't go on the lake with me to check it out. Closest lake is a hr away. Not sure what to do.

Dealer said it could be the prop BTW. Jim sent me a new one and the issue is still there

Holdmybeer
06-27-2021, 06:51 PM
Ever hit anything? Bent rudder would be hard to turn under load.
What prop? Not sure it would matter some guys are running 15x12 props without issue.

brad460
06-27-2021, 09:12 PM
What prop? Not sure it would matter some guys are running 15x12 props without issue.

Good point-

Suggest disconnecting the steering cable from the rudder and check the steering..Then maybe disconnect the steering cable from the steering wheel..just to isolate everything to be sure it’s the cable.

Older cables had issues (like our 04 Mobius), but I wouldn’t expect a newer boat cable to have issues.

That being said, I guess the seal could have gone bad and allowed water into the cable..

rockymtnsurfer
06-28-2021, 06:07 AM

I hear what your saying. I have not hit anything, rudder is brand new from the dealer (to see if that was the issue) other friends of mine run the 15x12.
350 hrs on boat. Steering fine out of water, and in water until surfing.

I really have no idea, and it seems no one at Moomba service department does either. It is very tough for me to get it looked at. The closets boat mechanic is 3.5 hrs away, and the closets Moomba mechanic is 5.5 hrs away. This has been going on for the second summer. Same prop at low altitude is 20x worse. I have another prop coming from Jim to see if this is the issue, but he seems to be surprised if it is. He sent me a brand new 15x12 thinking the other could have been bad. No shaking, no vibration, shaft is not leaking or bent. No water in hull. Seriously frustrated! Boat works fine, runs and surfs fine and we use it 3 days a week, but I know others don't have to use two hands to keep your line when surfing. This is why I figured to just try changing out the cable. If it works great! if not, I have a extra cable. I burn more on gas going to a mechanic than to buy a new cable.

Holdmybeer
06-28-2021, 10:48 AM
Seriously frustrated! Boat works fine, runs and surfs fine and we use it 3 days a week, but I know others don't have to use two hands to keep your line when surfing.

2 hand grip to stay straight while surfing? That is rough.

How much weight are you running? And where is it all positioned. If I'm too bow high steering is harder, but not like that.

2in2out
06-28-2021, 09:45 PM
Is one of your surf plates engaging all the way down? This would cause that kind of yaw force

Currently boatless

rockymtnsurfer
06-29-2021, 07:10 AM
2 hand grip to stay straight while surfing? That is rough.

How much weight are you running? And where is it all positioned. If I'm too bow high steering is harder, but not like that.

1200's rear, but sometimes less in order to get my 9 pitch. 1000's midship, 1000' center and 0-500 front.

I fill all these different to get my pitch and role to 9 and 0 - -2

Side tabs work, and leave at 100% and middle plate works and 0-25%

Wave is great....long and medium height.....I go a little steeper for one of my teens who like it steeper.

yes 2 hand grip.....now you know what I mean.....nuts. And it was this way when I had a stock set up and immediately took it back to the dealer, who checked it out and said everything was fine. I truly just don't get it. After 2 summers of this, and 4-5 trips to 2 different dealers, I am sort of giving up and about ready to buy a new boat. I will get a Moomba, because I like them, but if production wasn't so far behind, I would have bought a new one by now and traded in this boat to one of the dealers who said everything was fine. So I feel what the heck, lets change out the cable.

larry_arizona
06-29-2021, 08:18 AM
I know when my boat is set to surf regular, it’s nearly impossible to turn boat left and when set goofy it’s near impossible to turn right at low speed to get rider.

My guess is a tab is deployed or stuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holdmybeer
06-29-2021, 08:57 AM
1200's rear, but sometimes less in order to get my 9 pitch. 1000's midship, 1000' center and 0-500 front.

I fill all these different to get my pitch and role to 9 and 0 - -2

Side tabs work, and leave at 100% and middle plate works and 0-25%

Wave is great....long and medium height.....I go a little steeper for one of my teens who like it steeper.

yes 2 hand grip.....now you know what I mean.....nuts. And it was this way when I had a stock set up and immediately took it back to the dealer, who checked it out and said everything was fine. I truly just don't get it. After 2 summers of this, and 4-5 trips to 2 different dealers, I am sort of giving up and about ready to buy a new boat. I will get a Moomba, because I like them, but if production wasn't so far behind, I would have bought a new one by now and traded in this boat to one of the dealers who said everything was fine. So I feel what the heck, lets change out the cable.

Next time out. Fill everything but make sure your tabs and center plate are all retracted up. I know the wave will suck but just curious if others are correct and the tab is causing all the problems with your turning. You say tabs are at 100%. I heard most having the tabs at 60% regular and 80% goofy when surfing, this could be your steering issue. Weighted that heavy and low in the water plus 100% tab is a lot of drag. But trust me, I understand wanting that perfect wave.

The cable is not priced horrible, but the time lost to change something that may or may not have affect on your problem, would be the killer. I have thrown money at problems with cars, houses, etc. and its great when it fixes it but when it doesn't it just leaves you more frustrated.

SONIC
06-29-2021, 10:00 AM
I was thinking the same, the further down the tab is (higher %) the more steering force you're going to see from the tab.
Try it around 60

rockymtnsurfer
06-30-2021, 07:17 AM
I will try all the sudgestions tomm when I am on the lake. I appreciate peoples thoughts........this is frustrating. The only reason I have gon full port and starboard tabs was from all the wave set up people sudgested it. Center plate is never at 100% and i just try to nail the righ pitch and role, but I will try to hit the same role tomm with 50% tabs first.
Thank you

Holdmybeer
06-30-2021, 07:33 AM
Keep us updated. I hope it is something simple like this.

rockymtnsurfer
06-30-2021, 09:23 AM
Keep us updated. I hope it is something simple like this.

I was just thinking the same thing! I will kick myself for not trying it sooner if it is the case....but I would rather kick myself than continue with this issue

rockymtnsurfer
07-29-2021, 07:28 AM
Steering cable it was. I replaced it and it now is better than ever. After the adjustment of the rudder, I have a knock all the way to the left when I fully turn it, and its soft with no knock when I turn it fully to the right. I know what it is, as I set it up, but if I set it up for a knock on bothe left and right, the rudder is not equal turning on both sides. But at this point I am happy to be able to turn with one finger while surfing.

Holdmybeer
07-29-2021, 07:45 AM
Awesome.

Based on your comments, you did the work, not the dealer. Was the dealer able to get you the cable under warranty?

Not sweating sub $200 fix when you could have been without your boat for 2-3 weeks....Just curious if SC would reimburse you for the parts.

rockymtnsurfer
07-30-2021, 07:55 AM
Awesome.

Based on your comments, you did the work, not the dealer. Was the dealer able to get you the cable under warranty?

Not sweating sub $200 fix when you could have been without your boat for 2-3 weeks....Just curious if SC would reimburse you for the parts.

To be honest, I was so psyched that I didn't even consider it. Being they are 5.5 hrs away and $4.30 a gallon.....to take it in was out of the question and dealing overthe phone and shipping ect.....was not worth my time either. Just psyched I am still on the lake and solved the problem.
D

Holdmybeer
07-30-2021, 07:57 AM
To be honest, I was so psyched that I didn't even consider it. Being they are 5.5 hrs away and $4.30 a gallon.....to take it in was out of the question and dealing overthe phone and shipping ect.....was not worth my time either. Just psyched I am still on the lake and solved the problem.
D

I do not blame you at all. Good job getting it fixed. Enjoy....the W-word will be here too soon.