PDA

View Full Version : Supra flip up sun deck Seats.

mjb929rr
06-25-2021, 10:14 AM
We currently have an sl450 and have this option on the sunpad. They are nice to have when docked but I’ve always been paranoid about people sitting there when we are surfing. We are getting ready to spec out our new build and debating is they are worth getting again. My wife says if we can’t use them when surfing to not pay for the option again.
Do any of you guys have them and use while surfing? And has anyone got in trouble for that?
Thanks.

2in2out
06-25-2021, 10:49 AM
In most states, riding on those is prohibited. Part of the issue is CO poisoning from the station wagon effect. This happened to me when I was teaching some newbs to surf. I was sitting on the sun pad for about an hour. I was beet red, tired, headache. Classic symptoms that I blew off as just being in the sun and liquored most of the day. When my headache wasn’t gone after 3 days I put 2+2 together, added 12 and carried 5, and came up with CO intoxication. Even with a surf pipe it can happen.

The seats are a popular option and helps with resale. Most people who were interested wanted those and were disappointed we didn’t have them.

I would option them since money doesn’t seem to be an issue, but I wouldn’t ever let anyone ride there for more than a few minutes with the engine running.

Currently boatless

sandm
06-25-2021, 11:33 AM
We currently have an sl450 and have this option on the sunpad. They are nice to have when docked but I’ve always been paranoid about people sitting there when we are surfing. We are getting ready to spec out our new build and debating is they are worth getting again. My wife says if we can’t use them when surfing to not pay for the option again.
Do any of you guys have them and use while surfing? And has anyone got in trouble for that?
Thanks.

$310 fine and it's a misdemeanor here in nevada. had 7 guys out surfing and one was sitting on the rear deck. boat DRIVER gets the citation, not the person sitting back there.
that said back in idaho and wisconsin we boated for 10 years and never stopped but also weren't "stupid" about it. loud music and partying attracts cops.
2in is correct on the co effects and everyone will have their own opinion on that topic. for us and 14 years of surfing, never an issue but have seen a few stories over the years on this. my .02 is it's more apt to be an issue on the older boats but again ymmv...

if it was my coin I'd spec them for resale AND to use while chillin but after the ticket 2 years ago we are very careful about someone sitting back there. don't need another 3bill warning.

mjb929rr
06-25-2021, 12:20 PM
Appreciate you guys replies. This kind of is what I figured about using them while surfing. I suppose we will just add them on at least for resale and i like them while parked. Reminds of when I optioned the filler cushion on this boat. Haven’t used it once but easier to get initially than try and add later.

larry_arizona
06-25-2021, 07:49 PM
We use them when anchored, love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zabooda
06-26-2021, 12:37 AM
You on the rear deck with the engine running you need at least a pfd on. The odds are someone will drown if overcome by CO and falls into the water without a pfd. They sink like a rock and nothing the victim can do about it. At dive rescue, that was one of the top drowning scenarios. One incident involved two victims sitting on the surf deck going 200 yards back to shore. The driver got to shore and realized they were missing the deck riders. They were located near the shore and 20 feet from each other. If they had a pfd on they would have been on the surface to retrieve them.

Holdmybeer
06-26-2021, 10:45 AM
So flip up seats are an $1850 option on an SA with a base price of $142k. If you use them while anchored even a hand full of times, and turn your boat over every couple years, then buy them.

I know Im spending your money and not mine by saying that. Truthfully it is 1.2% of the purchase price and you'll never see it in the payment. I would buy them just my $0.02.

larry_arizona
06-26-2021, 10:58 AM
$1850 and you will likely pay under $1500, unless dealers are getting full MSRP right now.

Also, get the thrusters, they are so nice.

Used them all week docking at Norris lake in every imaginable situation, they are worth their weight in gold.

KnoxMojo
06-27-2021, 03:00 PM
$1850 and you will likely pay under $1500, unless dealers are getting full MSRP right now.

Also, get the thrusters, they are so nice.

Used them all week docking at Norris lake in every imaginable situation, they are worth their weight in gold.

I loved using them to get you on the correct side of the boat to surf. Had a blast with you guys, truly enjoyable!!

larry_arizona
06-27-2021, 03:06 PM
I loved using them to get you on the correct side of the boat to surf. Had a blast with you guys, truly enjoyable!!

Was great hanging out Thursday!!! Thank you for all your help with riding and dialing in the boat.

Your wakeboarding sets were legit, those tantrums are awesome.

Great to meet you.

KnoxMojo
06-27-2021, 03:08 PM
Was great hanging out Thursday!!! Thank you for all your help with riding and dialing in the boat.

Your wakeboarding sets were legit, those tantrums are awesome.

Great to meet you.

Really appreciate that! 1 of my best sets all year! Your son was getting punted and learned fast, plus you surfing without the rope for the first time was gold! Hope to see you guys again.