PDA

View Full Version : supra SL and SE vs Moomba makai

mike gag
06-23-2021, 03:21 PM
hey guys,

just wondering if anyone has had the chance to wakeboard and wake surf behind a newer Supra SL or SE, i have my deposit in on the Makai and really excited, but keep looking over at the supra and wondering if it might be worth the extra Money?

Mike

Prospersigman
06-23-2021, 03:29 PM
If you can comfortably afford a new Supra and are good spending the extra money it will not disappoint...might as well get the boat you want right off the rip. Moomba wave is going to be good but it won't be as good as the SL or SE wave. All of them will require additional weight to really reach their full wave potential, but Supra will be cleaner with more push from the back to the front of the wave. Supra bells and whistles are obviously way ahead of the Moomba features but you pay for it.

HFarr
06-23-2021, 04:16 PM
Interesting review:
https://youtu.be/qZXwAOhUoZs

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

2in2out
06-23-2021, 04:35 PM
If you can comfortably afford a new Supra and are good spending the extra money it will not disappoint...might as well get the boat you want right off the rip. Moomba wave is going to be good but it won't be as good as the SL or SE wave. All of them will require additional weight to really reach their full wave potential, but Supra will be cleaner with more push from the back to the front of the wave. Supra bells and whistles are obviously way ahead of the Moomba features but you pay for it.

I second this. If cost is not the issue, the comfort and features of the SL and SE, plus the great wave are worth it.

Currently boatless

larry_arizona
06-23-2021, 07:51 PM
The Supras are posh if you can swing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haknslash
06-23-2021, 08:34 PM
Like others have said if you can swing it why not?

The Supra will be a heavier boat and will naturally make a better wave than the Moomba stock for stock. That doesn’t mean the Moomba can’t throw a great wave as they certainly can but it takes more weight than what you would need to add to a Supra and as mentioned it won’t be quite the level of a Supra wave.

larry_arizona
06-23-2021, 08:37 PM
Visiting Skier’s today, the extra Supra weight is primarily the FXone tower and extra options.

The Supras do look to have a little more freeboard and therefore a bit more fiberglass.

RC_Hinojosa
06-24-2021, 06:43 AM
Visiting Skier’s today, the extra Supra weight is primarily the FXone tower and extra options.

The Supras do look to have a little more freeboard and therefore a bit more fiberglass.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNice, Kent, enjoy (definitely don't snag spy pics if they don't confiscate your phone! Subtract first double negative) [emoji1787]

I know folks have done the tour with fam but those that have....what was it like. Was everyone disengaged but you??

I was thinking of doing a bro trip when mine is coming down the line because at least I know my dudes would be interested in seeing the process.

Any family SC tour takers with input??

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
06-24-2021, 07:23 AM
Nice, Kent, enjoy (definitely don't snag spy pics if they don't confiscate your phone! Subtract first double negative) [emoji1787]

I know folks have done the tour with fam but those that have....what was it like. Was everyone disengaged but you??

I was thinking of doing a bro trip when mine is coming down the line because at least I know my dudes would be interested in seeing the process.

Any family SC tour takers with input??

Well my wife was the one who called yesterday morning to see if SC could squeeze us in, so she wanted to go more than me.

My 18 yo son thought it was cool and had plenty of questions, he really enjoyed it.

I am in automotive so I have been in nearly every OEM assy plant in North America and many in Europe and Asia, so I was not as motivated.

My inlaws were with us and they were engaged and in awe of the process.

I really enjoyed it, the most impressive thing is the quality controls. It was a smaller factory than I envisioned, but it gives it a more “hand built” process feel. Not one robot in the plant.

The R&D building is separate and that is where I wanted to go LOL, but off limits of course. They are working on the 23’s.

22’s are ready and will start July 5th.

I would say everyone who enjoys the boat you own would enjoy the tour experience and find something that would impress them.

VA LSV
06-24-2021, 07:32 AM
Toured with my wife a few years back. She was not overly thrilled when Drew Tinker was explaining their continuous improvement process but I have worked in manufacturing for 35 years so I could relate. As we started through the plant following the process from interior to molds to final rigging she got into it and really enjoyed it. She even picked out a new Supra coming off the line that she really liked! Drew was a great host but I was a little disappointed that they didn't have any free swag. Drew said it all goes to the dealers. Left Maryville and drove the Tail of The Dragon to Bryson City stopping at Fontana Dam on the way.

larry_arizona
06-24-2021, 07:46 AM
One cool thing they had in the middle of the production floor was a 20 year old Supra that was getting a new hull replacement. Lifetime hull warranty is legit. Apparently they have all the hull molds in storage and will replace them if deemed defective.

RC_Hinojosa
06-24-2021, 08:55 AM
One cool thing they had in the middle of the production floor was a 20 year old Supra that was getting a new hull replacement. Lifetime hull warranty is legit. Apparently they have all the hull molds in storage and will replace them if deemed defective.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat is pretty badass to know!

RC_Hinojosa
06-24-2021, 09:00 AM
I would say everyone who enjoys the boat you own would enjoy the tour experience and find something that would impress them.

This is nice to know....I might talk to the Mrs and see if she'd be down. It'd likely be our first time flying with kids [emoji51][emoji28]

RUGER761
06-24-2021, 09:40 AM
We took the tour last year before all the craziness hit. Was worth the flight, just my son and I went. Made a nice trip out of it, spent the weekend before checking out the local area and Gatlinburg.

Far as the original question of SE vs Makai, there is a big difference in the luxury items of the two. So it comes down to the big one budget and then what all you think you would like on one. For us coming from an older Tige, the Makai was way more than we could ever hope for. It has more features than I thought we would be able to get in our budget. Plus throws a great wake and wave. Now we did test drive an SE purely so we could get a feel of the size vs our old 21ft. Its amazing what they have on them. Id say try to find one or something close where you can compare to help make your decision.

Josh828
06-24-2021, 12:10 PM
What about the surf system is different on a supra? Or just more weight better wave?

2in2out
06-24-2021, 03:17 PM
What about the surf system is different on a supra? Or just more weight better wave?

Moomba has the Flow surf (2.0 or 3.0)system where-as Supra has the Swell system. In principle they do the same thing through right/center/left plates. They both create yaw in the boat to improve wave dynamics and tuning of the wave through the Autowake system. The Autowake system incorporates sensors and controls to consistently produce your wave based on preset parameters or user selectable parameters. Autowake triggers to side and center plates to preset positions and uses the pump and ballast system to obtain pitch, roll, and displacement for the preset, or user selected options.

Supra has more displacement due to hull shape and ballast, but both require additional ballast to optimize wave.

An upgrade for the Moomba is the G6 pump system, which is standard for Supra.

Supra has the Vision control system, which offers on screen control, and some manual control on the steering wheel. Moomba has two screen options, and toggle controls for ballast, plate controls, and speed controls.

Supra offers more automation and some additional adjustment. You have to compare both to understand.

The following links can help you understand some of the differences between the two different boats.

https://youtu.be/3tY4Mz6eAwU

https://youtu.be/rMBZGwglql8

https://youtu.be/jcwD-neqFGc

https://youtu.be/A60kvIM7nMU

https://youtu.be/v354yYxynns

https://youtu.be/gt8VVwwEwn4

https://youtu.be/Sri1pLtsjtc

https://youtu.be/btq6hr04nLs

Hope this helps.

Currently boatless

Josh828
06-24-2021, 04:49 PM
Moomba has the Flow surf (2.0 or 3.0)system where-as Supra has the Swell system. In principle they do the same thing through right/center/left plates. They both create yaw in the boat to improve wave dynamics and tuning of the wave through the Autowake system. The Autowake system incorporates sensors and controls to consistently produce your wave based on preset parameters or user selectable parameters. Autowake triggers to side and center plates to preset positions and uses the pump and ballast system to obtain pitch, roll, and displacement for the preset, or user selected options.

Supra has more displacement due to hull shape and ballast, but both require additional ballast to optimize wave.

An upgrade for the Moomba is the G6 pump system, which is standard for Supra.

Supra has the Vision control system, which offers on screen control, and some manual control on the steering wheel. Moomba has two screen options, and toggle controls for ballast, plate controls, and speed controls.

Supra offers more automation and some additional adjustment. You have to compare both to understand.

The following links can help you understand some of the differences between the two different boats.

https://youtu.be/3tY4Mz6eAwU

https://youtu.be/rMBZGwglql8

https://youtu.be/jcwD-neqFGc

https://youtu.be/A60kvIM7nMU

https://youtu.be/v354yYxynns

https://youtu.be/gt8VVwwEwn4

https://youtu.be/Sri1pLtsjtc

https://youtu.be/btq6hr04nLs

Hope this helps.

Currently boatless

At work currently but will take a look at the videos later tonight!

I figured they were basically the same system but have heard of Supras "swell"
I know on the Axis and Malibu the dealer said they were the exact same hull and surf system so didn't know if moomba supra shared all the same as well

larry_arizona
06-24-2021, 04:58 PM
Swell and flow are a bit different and hulls are different, but both can throw a great wave.

russellsmojo
06-25-2021, 11:25 AM
Worth the extra money is tough. Because who doesn’t want to spend less for family entertainment? If the extra money is not a financial burden and you boat many hours you may enjoy the supra features. Are you a bells and whistles family? Does your wife like the detail features like heated seat? Mine does and so her enjoyment pulling me around is helpful. The ability for my wife to hit wake regular or advanced and then just hit throttle is huge for my enjoyment. Just a perspective to think about.

2in2out
06-25-2021, 12:46 PM
After owning a Supra my CFO says we won’t be able to step down. I offered to look at Moombas for our next boat, but even though she’s a tightwad with money, she said it’s worth the extra to have what we had.

Currently boatless

Dank
06-25-2021, 02:48 PM
I would say, if you want Supra, by all means go for it, however, I will add .02:

Boat are quality boats, both roll off the same assembly line, in the same factory, built by same hands.

Waves on the current boats (talking about the newer Maki and Mojo, in particular) are very similar (just watch any of the new Wake 9 videos for analysis) in size shape and push. SA being firmer, SL being slightly softer. With the flow 3, the wave is incredibly clean. They just go about producing yaw different ways.
I ride behind both a 2021 SA and a 2021 Mojo on the regular, almost splitting time 50/50 and can say it's very very close.. If you're a good at wakesurfing, it won't make one flip of difference. I have a another friend with a Makai with lead that I would venture to say is better than all of us.

Yes, the 21 Supra SA (200 lbs heavier than SL) is 1k heavier stock than the Mojo (but also has 500 lbs of ballast less stock, so we are talking about 500 las of difference between the two stock. Add 1k in lead, and you are at stock weight of a Supra SA+ 500 lbs. of lead. Both have the exact same engine. The Makai is only 600 lbs less than the SA, but also has 500 lbs more in stock ballast, so almost a wash in terms of stock displacement (~100 lbs).

If chill tech, bells and whistles, heated seats and screens are your thing, but all means go for it. It just comes down to "luxury" I guess. IMO the gap is closing each year and the Moombas now use the same vinyl from the 2018 Supras.

Bottom line, both are quality boats that will serve you well in terms of wave and build quality. Skiers Choice does it right compared to the mass produced competitors (*Ahem*). As always, it boils down to your dealer too.

My opinion, can't go wrong with either, all personal preference.

HFarr
06-25-2021, 03:38 PM
I would say, if you want Supra, by all means go for it, however, I will add .02:

Boat are quality boats, both roll off the same assembly line, in the same factory, built by same hands.

Waves on the current boats (talking about the newer Maki and Mojo, in particular) are very similar (just watch any of the new Wake 9 videos for analysis) in size shape and push. SA being firmer, SL being slightly softer. With the flow 3, the wave is incredibly clean. They just go about producing yaw different ways.
I ride behind both a 2021 SA and a 2021 Mojo on the regular, almost splitting time 50/50 and can say it's very very close.. If you're a good at wakesurfing, it won't make one flip of difference. I have a another friend with a Makai with lead that I would venture to say is better than all of us.

Yes, the 21 Supra SA (200 lbs heavier than SL) is 1k heavier stock than the Mojo (but also has 500 lbs of ballast less stock, so we are talking about 500 las of difference between the two stock. Add 1k in lead, and you are at stock weight of a Supra SA+ 500 lbs. of lead. Both have the exact same engine. The Makai is only 600 lbs less than the SA, but also has 500 lbs more in stock ballast, so almost a wash in terms of stock displacement (~100 lbs).

If chill tech, bells and whistles, heated seats and screens are your thing, but all means go for it. It just comes down to "luxury" I guess. IMO the gap is closing each year and the Moombas now use the same vinyl from the 2018 Supras.

Bottom line, both are quality boats that will serve you well in terms of wave and build quality. Skiers Choice does it right compared to the mass produced competitors (*Ahem*). As always, it boils down to your dealer too.

My opinion, can't go wrong with either, all personal preference.Dank, I had to read your first part twice and now I think I need to put it in a spreadsheet! LOL! [emoji1]. Lot of information in there. Good stuff though!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

KnoxMojo
06-27-2021, 02:57 PM
The new 2022 Moomba line, chill tech is now an option. I love our SA, but if currently shopping, a loaded out new Mojo wouldn't be out of the question. The Mojo was the only Moomba boat running a version of the Supra Competition hull, not sure if that is still the case with the new model. Supra wakeboard wakes are outstanding! With Flow 3 and extra weight, Moomba performs very well. The Supra with a couple people in the boat and 500 pounds of lead is amazing!

I haven't done a factory tour even though they are only 20 minutes away. If anyone comes into town and I am off, we'll get out for a set! And yeah, they should at least of a little store to sell stuff at the plant.

larry_arizona
06-27-2021, 03:09 PM
There is a new black metallic with green and gold flake for 2022. Would look sick with a green boat.

RC needs the new black metallic

RC_Hinojosa
06-27-2021, 03:59 PM
There is a new black metallic with green and gold flake for 2022. Would look sick with a green boat.

RC needs the new black metallic

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWhere is this info y'all speak of? My dealer said I could spec my build as a real 2022 now but I haven't swung by yet.

KnoxMojo
06-27-2021, 04:06 PM
Where is this info y'all speak of? My dealer said I could spec my build as a real 2022 now but I haven't swung by yet.

Your dealer can spec you out all the options in house for a 2022, they aren't up on any websites as yet. I have seen some stuff floating around on facebook with people looking for build and option help.

larry_arizona
06-27-2021, 04:09 PM
Info on color was direct from plant tour last Wednesday. If chill tech is a Moomba option, your interior will be sick

RC_Hinojosa
06-27-2021, 04:30 PM
Info on color was direct from plant tour last Wednesday. If chill tech is a Moomba option, your interior will be sick

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNice! Excited to see the new black metallic and chill tech would be sweet [emoji41]