PDA

View Full Version : Does your steering wheel feel the same lock to lock on each side?

haknslash
06-20-2021, 11:29 AM
Friday when returning to the dock I noticed when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left it never felt like I was hitting a hard stop. I never really noticed this until yesterday so maybe it’s always been that way. My previous boat was a Yamaha jet boat and the steering was very sloppy by comparison and it had a much shorter lock to lock ratio than the Moomba. When I would turn the Yamaha steering wheel to full lock you could feel and hear a solid thud in the steering wheel. On the Moomba this is not apparent and it feels like it hits some sort of soft bushing or something so there is not this hard thud, which is a good thing I think. Then I turned the wheel to full right and it feels a little different than when turning full left. A little less soft feeling. Hard to explain in words but I was just wondering if his is normal? Almost as if there was some slight resistance just before full left lock compared to right full lock. Boat steers and heaves fine so perhaps this has always been that way and I rarely ever go full lock.

I was also wondering if there is any sort of adjustment I can do so that the boat doesn’t turn hard right if you let go of the steering wheel? I understand this is caused by the prop rotation and slightly offset rudder. There are times I’d love for my wife or daughter to drive the boat just cruising and I’m concerned they may not understand you have to hold onto the wheel at all times or it can turn on your real quick.

Holdmybeer
06-20-2021, 02:49 PM
The know what you are feeling. My Mojo turns to the left easier than right but will only pull to the right under acceleration. When in a no wake area boat will cruise straight no problem.
The way to fix the turn right when you let go, is to replace the rudder with one that has the extra adjustable tab in the middle. Malibu has them but not sure it is that big of a deal for this much work.

Buckeye
06-21-2021, 09:01 AM
I actually have a similar issue. Boat was pulling hard right. I also expect some pull due to prop rotation, but seemed more significant. I took my boat to the dealer for the 10 hr. Break-in last week and asked them to look at it. Dealer said they fixed the issue via something called a “balancer” that needed to be reset / adjusted. I don’t have the boat back yet, so we will see.

jnr4817
06-21-2021, 09:18 AM
Same for 2018 Mojo. My steering wheel is also off center when going straight. Something that messes with my head really and doesn’t matter much. Once I can take time to realign my steering wheel. I’d like to know what this “rebalancing” entails.

SONIC
06-23-2021, 08:14 AM
To center the steering you can take a grinder with a flap disk and slowly grind down the opposite side of the rudder from the direction of pull.
So if you're pulling right bring a small bevel into the left side of the rudder and test drive. Keep going until it drives straight.
I did my last boat which pulled so hard to the right it was scary if you let go of the wheel. A couple minutes with a grinder and I could cruise at 30 with no hands on the wheel.

My supra SA drives dead straight with no input to the wheel.29847

larry_arizona
06-23-2021, 08:38 AM
Aren’t the newer rudders tuneable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holdmybeer
06-23-2021, 08:58 AM
Do the new boats have the "double-rudder"? There is a small tab on the rear that is adjustable just for this reason. I know several Bu's I looked at had them.

2in2out
06-23-2021, 09:26 AM
Do the new boats have the "double-rudder"? There is a small tab on the rear that is adjustable just for this reason. I know several Bu's I looked at had them.

My SA had the trim tab on the rudder.

Currently boatless

SONIC
06-23-2021, 10:11 AM
My 2020 SA does not have a tab that I have noticed but I haven't needed to mess with it so Im not 100%
Maybe it's an option?

SONIC
06-23-2021, 10:14 AM
If it has a tab it's as easy as adjusting it until the boat drives straight

haknslash
06-23-2021, 01:20 PM

I don’t think mine does.

https://i.imgur.com/ObsPW0w.jpg

Holdmybeer
06-23-2021, 01:41 PM
Looks the same as mine.
I thought about upgrading when I pulled mine to replace seals. If it starts leaking again, I'll upgrade to the new setup with a greaseable rudder port.

HFarr
06-23-2021, 04:23 PM
No tabs that I can see on my 2021 Makai. But it does not pull when I am balanced out level running fast either.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210623/3bf74a2766bf17a24d9af8e0d40e99a1.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

haknslash
06-23-2021, 06:59 PM
I’ll try and remember to take a video next time I’m out to show how mine will turn to the right.

SONIC
06-24-2021, 12:52 PM
I don’t think mine does.

https://i.imgur.com/ObsPW0w.jpg

If you grind a small bevel into the left side of that rudder you will solve your problem.
Start small (like a 1/8" bevel) and work your way up until it's straight at cruise. Works a treat.

Jimm
06-26-2021, 12:42 AM
Isn't it obvious? Moomba is trying to tell you to get her back to the ramp and off "that" lake!! She wants to come up 280 a little ways where there aren't 6 foot swells from all the jackasses driving around with pointlessly full ballasts all the time. Or maybe she doesn't feel she fits in with the show offs in ocean liners hauling ass all over the place.
Nice smooth water just a few miles away without the frat boy armadas. Just sayin' is all!!!

haknslash
06-26-2021, 08:22 AM
Haha it can get rough AF lol. We used to have a little place on Logan Martin. We were just off Riverside exit in a slough. I have a buddy who roams Logan Martin and Lay Lake in his 2020 Max. It’s black on black cherry in case you see it. I try and avoid the “tourist” or busy areas of Lake Martin and it’s why I picked the Sandy Creek area as home base to launch from and store my boat near. We typically stay in the northeast areas of the lake to avoid the party barges and craziness.

I’m a sucker for the clearer waters these days more than the Coosa even though I grew up on Lake Mitchell and the Coosa is much closer to my house than Lake Martin. But...lots to do on and around Lake Martin so it’s one of the main reasons we picked it to keep the boat at. I wouldn’t mind keeping it closer and use Lake Mitchell but I got tired of waiting forever at the only ramp on the lake because of the fishing tournaments and craziness plus the lake is a bit too small.

https://i.imgur.com/TQBM0jZ.jpg

larry_arizona
06-26-2021, 10:18 AM
Looks like Supras have the adjustable rudders.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210626/82898443ddd87ef45826c317221a730d.jpg

haknslash
06-26-2021, 11:21 AM
How does that thing work? I guess the screw allows it to swing out to "trim" the rudder?

HFarr
06-26-2021, 05:31 PM
Probably can't tell from the photo, but I am sure it has a slight wedge to it. Loosen the set screw and slide the plate back and it will "ramp" outward towards the back. Tighten it back up to hold it in place.

HFarr
06-26-2021, 05:33 PM
Then again. I could be 100% wrong. I'm just taking a wild guess! LOL!!

larry_arizona
06-26-2021, 05:51 PM
That is how it works, but theoretically it would only correct one direction and I suppose it’s to counter the prop rotation.

That said, my boat drives perfectly straight and there is zero adjustment on that tab, it’s perfectly flush.

HFarr
06-26-2021, 06:42 PM
I don't know man. I think that Bernoulli would object to that screw head messing up the laminar flow across the surface of that thing!![emoji2957][emoji848][emoji2957]