PDA

View Full Version : Taking in alittle water from my shaft seal.

superman
04-23-2007, 06:53 PM
My bildge pump comes on every 15 minutes. I looked at the shaft seal with the boat in gear slowly moving (5mph or less) and it is almost a steady stream coming in. This is not normal right? How do i go about tighting or repacking this, please help. Thanks alot

Boat is a 2002 Mobius LSV with 130 hours on it. It was the first time out this year.
________
glass on glass bong (http://glassbongs.org)

JesseC
04-23-2007, 11:43 PM
I loosen the jam nut with a set of channel locks and then I just hand tighten the packing nut until it stops leaking. I think it is something like a drop every 15 seconds or so is acceptable. I am sure larry will correct me if I am wrong.

BensonWdby
04-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Probably time to replace the packing.
This is pretty simple. If you can have a dealer do it - good idea, sothen they are liable of something goes wrong. But doing it yourself is no probl.

Before you get started make sure you have the wax rope from you dealer. I think you need about 12 inches, cut in 3 separate 4 inch pieces. you might want to get 13 inches just so you have some slop.

Just loosen the jam nut, the skinny one, then loosen the packing nut. If you can't find open end wrenches big enough, I have had success with a normal sized pipe wrench, but use care not to mangle the corners of the nuts.

Do this with the boat out of the water.

You will need a knife and something to dig with. A combination of the knife, a skinny screwdriver and a needle nose pliers probably will work. If you look inside the packing nut you will see what looks like a grey pplastic o-ring or gasket. This is in fact wax covered rope that has been crushed into the nut to form the seal. There should be 3 separate pieces, one layer on top of the other.

After you get them out by prying, digging, whatever (try not to ding the shaft), cut enough off the new rope to go exactly once around the shaft. Wrap it around the shaft and work it into the nut so it is completely inside the nut and the ends meet. Cut another piece the same way and this time wrap it around the shaft so the meeting point is 180 degrees opposite the first layer. Repeat the third layer and then reinstall the pack nut over the shaft tube and tighten thoroughly BY HAND (I use both hands). You might be able to give it a quarter turn with the wrench without causeing problems, but no more. Then tighten the jam nut.

Put boat in water and check for leak. Small drips are ok. I forget the exact drip rate. But no more than 1 per 15 seconds.

HTH
Dave

superman
04-26-2007, 08:19 AM
You are the man. Thanks for the info. That will come in handy.
________
medical marijuana dispensary (http://dispensaries.org)

rosh
05-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi
I have to repack my shaft becuase we replace the engine fly wheel do an starting motor problem and to lift the engine we move the shaft like 7" on the propeller direction and I have just found out this weekend that we have a big amount of water coming in. Im located in Mexico and the closes dealer or boat shop with experience on inboards its like 300 miles so I have to do it myself and order the parts, so If you could tell me the exact dimesion of the waxed rope it will be great, also any coments or suggestion will be great.

Thanks
Rosh

Nafplio
05-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Dimensions:
https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?p=20409&highlight=#20409

rosh
05-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the info, hope to do it tomorrow

Rosh