PDA

View Full Version : Looking at options - sell '13 Mojo and get a newer Moomba or Supra

uniwarking
06-18-2021, 03:55 PM
Hey all. Appreciate the feedback in advance.

We've been running our '13 Mojo since it was new. Overall, it's been a solid boat for us... couple minor issues in year 1. In any case, we've been thinking about upgrading since the used market is doing very well and we'd like something with a few more "bells and whistles," fewer hours (warranty) and perhaps a better surf wave. The boat was pretty loaded from day one and we've added a fair bit of upgrades... manual flow system, updated surf platform bracket, 1000lb bags in the back (just replaced this year), 650 IBS, Exile Audio System (tower, sub, amps, zone control, bluetooth, etc.), Fulton F2 jack and winch, Evolution towable cover, brand new tires (also this year). It's at 520 hours currently and running strong. What should I expect to sell or trade this in for? There isn't much as far as compatibles for sale, but those that are listed are $65k - $75k currently.

Now the next fun question... what should we upgrade to? We'd like to stay in the 23' plus range which really only provides three options. The Mojo, Makai, Supra SL or Supra SE. When optioned similarly, the pricing of the Mojo and Makai are nearly identical and the Supra's are quite a bit higher but very comparable to each other(within 10k). I know the Supra resale is better, the options/fit finish are better and the weight of the boats themselves is quite a bit higher which I have to assume translates to build quality and wave (SE is 950lbs heavier than the Makai for instance). I really don't know where to start, all of the dealers are quite far away from me and they don't have any inventory to look at or demo anyway.

We primarily surf these days but still like to do other things (wakeboard, ski, knee board, tube, cruise around, etc.). My kids are younger, 5 and 11... we get out usually at least one day per week and we have a lot of family and friends that are eager to join us.

Again, I really appreciate any tidbits you all might be able to provide as we think through our options.

larry_arizona
06-18-2021, 05:38 PM
Moomba and Supra’s are sold out for 2021, so you better get an order in sooner rather than later for a 2022, you might be able to score a late summer delivery.

The Supra SL will be a new model for 2022 and the Moomba mojo was a new model for 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HFarr
06-18-2021, 06:02 PM
You can't go wrong with any of the 4 models you just mentioned. Moomba has come a long way lately with their fit and finish. It's still the best value for the dollar in my opinion, but I sure do like some of the extra features of the Supra.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

uniwarking
06-21-2021, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the input guys. It seems like a really big jump to the Supra's price wise but the extra weight and features would be nice. I am looking at a Malibu M220 as well but that's probably pushing the envelope a bit when it comes to cost/benefit.

Any idea what changes are coming on the SL for '22? Always seems risky to put in an order on something you don't fully understand... although I'd probably be doing that on any of these boats since I've never demoed any of them.

larry_arizona
06-21-2021, 05:25 PM
The 2022 SL is going to be wicked because the current SL is already amazing.

I would say the first thing is the 2022 SL is going to gain some weight as the 2020+ SA is heavier than the current SL

Current SL is 5600
SA is 5800
SE is 6150

I bet the new SL will be 5900-6000.

SL will also get at least a subwoofer size upgrade to dual 12” JL Subs like the SE and SA.

Styling updates likely too but the current SL looks so good.

mjb929rr
06-22-2021, 05:55 PM
We put a deposit down on an October build 22 sl550in may.
My dealer was at skierschoice on the 15th and was able to ride and take a ton of pics behind the new sl. It looks very similar to the sa with a few features that look like something from a nautique. Fold down armrests in the front etc. I do know it weighs 5950 dry and the subfloor ballast is 4000lbs now. If I could figure how to load photos I have about 20 from him.

larry_arizona
06-22-2021, 06:05 PM
Will be an awesome boat.

Don’t post pics, Skier’s runs this forum and will get pissed.

Personally I would see if you can get an earlier build if possible.

mjb929rr
06-22-2021, 07:56 PM
Will be an awesome boat.

Don’t post pics, Skier’s runs this forum and will get pissed.

Personally I would see if you can get an earlier build if possible.

I wanted to get one before the end of summer. However all of his earlier slots were already sold out. Currently In a 20 sl450. Love the boat but regret not getting the 550. That would be my best advice to the op, get the largest engine possible if you plan to run lead. I have 900lbs lead and when running with a crew of more than 8, it won’t hit our target speed of 11.5. Usually 10.8 is all it’s got in it and that’s at 4200rpms. Which is extremely noisy even with the surf pipe

HFarr
06-22-2021, 10:38 PM
I wanted to get one before the end of summer. However all of his earlier slots were already sold out. Currently In a 20 sl450. Love the boat but regret not getting the 550. That would be my best advice to the op, get the largest engine possible if you plan to run lead. I have 900lbs lead and when running with a crew of more than 8, it won’t hit our target speed of 11.5. Usually 10.8 is all it’s got in it and that’s at 4200rpms. Which is extremely noisy even with the surf pipeWhat prop are you running? I have a Makai with only the 400 and have loaded the shit out of it and can always hit surf speeds.

mjb929rr
06-22-2021, 11:03 PM
What prop are you running? I have a Makai with only the 400 and have loaded the shit out of it and can always hit surf speeds.

It’s the new supra prop 16x13.9. The lake we frequent is at 2800’ elevation which doesn’t help but still a bit disappointing.

HFarr
06-23-2021, 07:43 AM
Wow. Seems like you have the right pitch for power.

SONIC
06-23-2021, 08:05 AM
That's super odd. I too have the 400 in my SA and have no issue hitting surf speed even with 12 people and 600 in lead. I'm running the 16x15 prop at around 1200 ft. It won't plane with that big of a load but hitting 11.6-12+ is not even remotely a struggle.
I'd be talking to the dealer I don't think you should have that issue at that low of an elevation.

larry_arizona
06-23-2021, 08:09 AM
Maybe everyone and lead is at rear of boat? Would be curious on the pitch number.

But yeah a 450/1.76 with a 16x13.9 prop should pull full weight all day.

mjb929rr
06-23-2021, 09:26 AM
We are running 9.0 on pitch and either -1.5 or 2.0 on roll. We try and always optimize people placement to keep ballast 100%. 90% of the time it will get the job done. It’s just the rpms that are high. If we hit go to dock when full it will plane out probably due to the launch system.

2in2out
06-23-2021, 12:45 PM
It’s the new supra prop 16x13.9. The lake we frequent is at 2800’ elevation which doesn’t help but still a bit disappointing.

I had the SA 450 with 16x15, 950 lead, 100% ballast, and 450 of miscellaneous weight at 6100’ with no problems with surf speeds or getting on plane and cruise at 25@4200rpm into the wind.

I recommend checking in with your service center. Something is amiss.

Currently boatless

HFarr
06-23-2021, 04:28 PM
Maybe cheap gas?? Bad gas??

DDNorCal
06-23-2021, 05:42 PM
I had a similar problem at the end of last season. But, I was at Tahoe 6,200 elevation. Talked to the dealer about this and they changed out my GPS puck. It was not reading correctly. So far so good. I just ran 12 people with 1,000 lb of lead and had no problem getting to the right speed and pitch.

HFarr
06-23-2021, 08:56 PM
So was the dealer saying that your GPS puck had something to do with the boat thinking it was at a different elevation, and is involved with feeding information for fuel/air mixture ratio. Or just that the speed readings were off?

mmmkay
06-24-2021, 08:14 AM

I sent you a private message. Check your inbox

uniwarking
06-27-2021, 08:29 PM
Well guys, I think I've actually narrowed down the choices to a Supra SL or SA. I think in either case the sub floor ballast and other features will offer us a lot more storage and flexibility than we have with our current 2013 Moomba Mojo. The extra foot on the SL would be nice but I don't think it's a must, essentially the SA is the same length as what we have now. MSRP is roughly the same too... not sure if sale price sways a lot either way either. Any tidbits to help us narrow in? One plus for the SA is I think we could get it sooner. Thanks!

larry_arizona
06-27-2021, 08:37 PM
I LOVE our SA, killer wakeboard wakes and surf waves.

The New 22 SL is going to be so good!!!!

mjb929rr
06-27-2021, 10:33 PM
I believe the new sl is going to be awesome. Had some brief conversations with my dealer about it as we have a build slot in October. Base price is going to be very similar to the SE with the 450 being the standard engine with no 400 option. Also a triple axle trailer will be required if you want 18” wheels. I still think optioned similar price will be very close to an SA as long as you didn’t intend to get the 400.

uniwarking
06-30-2021, 07:33 PM
I again appreciate all the input guys. I'm chatting with a few dealers but not having a ton of luck in getting any slots for '22. I'm in Iowa and there are only a couple dealers and the quantity of Supra's their able to get is very few (I will have to drive a minimum of 2.5hrs). I'm still hoping I can get into an SL... but it's looking like another Mojo is maybe in the cards. Looks like there were some awesome improvements in '21, not sure if anything else will be new in '22. The price is certainly a lot easier to handle especially since everything is blowing up for '22. From the reviews out there, like the one from Wake9... it looks like the Mojo is right in their with the Supra's wave wise.

larry_arizona
06-30-2021, 08:26 PM
It’s my understanding that 22 SL’s will be fairly rare at the beginning of the 2022 build year and will ramp up as more of the hull/top deck molds are completed.

I think 5 for the month of July.

uniwarking
07-01-2021, 07:30 PM
It’s my understanding that 22 SL’s will be fairly rare at the beginning of the 2022 build year and will ramp up as more of the hull/top deck molds are completed.

I think 5 for the month of July.

I'm hoping things improve... I'm being told that this is Supra models in general not just the SL. Keeping my options open.

uniwarking
07-01-2021, 07:33 PM
Any thoughts on current market private sales value and trade values? Anyone sold a 2013ish Mojo recently? My boat was pretty loaded and I've made ballast upgrades, stereo upgrades, added the manual flow system and updated swim platform brackets in '15. Boat is well taken care of, new tires and ballast bags this summer.

larry_arizona
07-01-2021, 08:46 PM
There is a 2013 mojo on onlyinboards for $65k

sandm
07-01-2021, 09:21 PM
you can go into onlyinboards and see the boats that have been reported sold and price. not everyone reports the price/sale but a lot do so might give you some data to compare against other 2013 MY boats.

uniwarking
07-01-2021, 10:19 PM
you can go into onlyinboards and see the boats that have been reported sold and price. not everyone reports the price/sale but a lot do so might give you some data to compare against other 2013 MY boats.

Ah, I didn't catch that before... thanks!

HFarr
07-01-2021, 10:40 PM
Check the site boats.com too.

HFarr
07-01-2021, 10:44 PM
This one is on boatrader.comhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210702/e884ed2400f0b2003189f6df0b536a71.jpg

Holdmybeer
07-02-2021, 06:41 AM
I just bought my 2015 Mojo this past winter. After cleaning it up from the previous owner, seeing I could make $10k on the deal is tempting.

larry_arizona
07-02-2021, 08:08 AM
I just bought my 2015 Mojo this past winter. After cleaning it up from the previous owner, seeing I could make $10k on the deal is tempting.

It’s a good opportunity, but you will also pay more for the replacement boat.

uniwarking
07-02-2021, 08:15 AM
Yes, used boat market seems to be great right now for sellers. And then new boats are jumping significantly in price for '22.

Holdmybeer
07-02-2021, 09:22 AM
It’s a good opportunity, but you will also pay more for the replacement boat.

I was going to pay more for the replacement boat already, jumping to a SA or SL. The new Moombas are so close to being Supras but just aren't. The weight difference, the fit and finish, thrusters!!

larry_arizona
07-02-2021, 09:24 AM
I was going to pay more for the replacement boat already, jumping to a SA or SL. The new Moombas are so close to being Supras but just aren't. The weight difference, the fit and finish, thrusters!!

Trust me, I love my Supra. You will love an SA or SL. Get a build slot soon. Personally, I would at minimum get a deposit on a 22 build slot ASAP.

Holdmybeer
07-02-2021, 09:37 AM
Trust me, I love my Supra. You will love an SA or SL. Get a build slot soon. Personally, I would at minimum get a deposit on a 22 build slot ASAP.

I have a giant hurtle to overcome if I want sell my "new" to me boat after 1 season and buy something 1.5-2x's the price I paid for my Mojo. She is a lovely lady (and may be trying to look at what I am typing).

Vanfamkaiyen
07-02-2021, 11:08 AM
I have a giant hurtle to overcome if I want sell my "new" to me boat after 1 season and buy something 1.5-2x's the price I paid for my Mojo. She is a lovely lady (and may be trying to look at what I am typing).

Haha. I had that same hurdle! Sold our kaiyen... she missed the Kaiyen and boating... went and sat in a new SA... build sheet and deposit the next day... August spray date (hopefully)...

uniwarking
07-07-2021, 04:41 PM
So, I'm still on the hunt. I'd say the top boats on my list are still: Moomba Mojo, Supra SA, Supra SL or a Malibu M220. I'm still having zero luck getting anywhere with a 2022 Supra build through any dealers near me, the SL is at the top of the list I just ran down as well. Moomba's seem to be readily available for '22. I've found a new M220 and as I'd mentioned I have a lead on a <100 hr M220 at the end of the season.

As I'm reading through and watching reviews, all of the new boats talk about needing additional ballast/lead... especially the lighter Moombas. I get that displacement makes a huge difference but the wave on my '13 Mojo is pretty darn solid in my opinion (I've upgraded to 1000lb bags in the rear, a 650 IBS and the manual flow system). When we run with just 2 adults and 2 kids I also fill a 800lb sack on the surf side floor but it's surfable without. I'm a 240lb guy and can surf the wave with a 70lb kid on a skim board. So... how are boats like the 2021 Mojo that weigh 1900lbs more than my setup (dry+ballast), hold more fuel, are rated for more people and have fancy surf systems still "not that great"? What am I missing? The Malibu is the same length as my current Mojo but weighs 4460lbs more with wedge factored in!
I sure don't think the +3" is making that huge of a difference.

Watching the Wake9 videos, they're talking about slamming 1k ballast into the boat which eats up almost all of the storage... my biggest reasons for wanting a new boat are:
1) Better Wave (without having to add a bunch of extra crap)
2) More consistent wave (AutoWake please)
3) Lower hours / In Warranty
4) Comfort / Fit & Finish

I guess I'm having a hard time with the #1 item on my list.... is a boat that will cost 2 or even 3 times what I paid for mine really putting off a better wave or not?

Thanks again for the feedback.

mjb929rr
07-07-2021, 08:04 PM
It really is night and day going to a newer boat with a dedicated surf setup. I went from a 13 tige z3 which was a great surf boat in its time to a 20 sl450. I can tell you everyone we surf with has gotten twice as good mainly because the wave is is so good and auto wake works well. We run 900lbs lead mainly bc sometimes it’s just the wife and I.

uniwarking
07-07-2021, 09:14 PM

I was referring to the width (beam) increase here of 3", 99" to 102"

larry_arizona
07-07-2021, 09:37 PM
The Gen 3 SA throws an insane wave stock with light crew, it’s just better with lead or people.

Josh828
07-07-2021, 11:05 PM
So, I'm still on the hunt. I'd say the top boats on my list are still: Moomba Mojo, Supra SA, Supra SL or a Malibu M220. I'm still having zero luck getting anywhere with a 2022 Supra build through any dealers near me, the SL is at the top of the list I just ran down as well. Moomba's seem to be readily available for '22. I've found a new M220 and as I'd mentioned I have a lead on a <100 hr M220 at the end of the season.

As I'm reading through and watching reviews, all of the new boats talk about needing additional ballast/lead... especially the lighter Moombas. I get that displacement makes a huge difference but the wave on my '13 Mojo is pretty darn solid in my opinion (I've upgraded to 1000lb bags in the rear, a 650 IBS and the manual flow system). When we run with just 2 adults and 2 kids I also fill a 800lb sack on the surf side floor but it's surfable without. I'm a 240lb guy and can surf the wave with a 70lb kid on a skim board. So... how are boats like the 2021 Mojo that weigh 1900lbs more than my setup (dry+ballast), hold more fuel, are rated for more people and have fancy surf systems still "not that great"? What am I missing? The Malibu is the same length as my current Mojo but weighs 4460lbs more with wedge factored in!

Watching the Wake9 videos, they're talking about slamming 1k ballast into the boat which eats up almost all of the storage... my biggest reasons for wanting a new boat are:
1) Better Wave (without having to add a bunch of extra crap)
2) More consistent wave (AutoWake please)
3) Lower hours / In Warranty
4) Comfort / Fit & Finish

I guess I'm having a hard time with the #1 item on my list.... is a boat that will cost 2 or even 3 times what I paid for mine really putting off a better wave or not?

Thanks again for the feedback.

The reason you need more weight is the depth of the hull in the water. (I think) The new mojo has a crazy deep hull. However to get that hull deep into the water it needs more weight.
I gotta admit on the mojo no passengers the wave is terrible.
5 people and it’s great.
10 people it’s perfect.
15 people (if you can actually get them to focus and sit still long enough) it’s near impossible to ever come out of the wave

SONIC
07-08-2021, 09:12 AM
My opinion on this is that the newer larger boats are more buoyant than the older boats and more difficult to sink so they require more weight. It's all about how much hull you can get under the water
My last boat was a Tige 23V that I filled with ballast and put a gsa type system on and the wave was great.
The first few trips in my 2020 SA I'll admit I was annoyed at the marginally better wave. At over 4x the cost I guess i was expecting 4x the wave haha.

Unfortunately that's not how physics works. With some setup tweaks and some lead my wave is now what I would consider excellent, but my tige was also very very good. I have friends with 20 yr old tige's whose waves are just as good as my 2020 Supra wave and know a few folks whose wave is undeniably better than mine. In my opinion you're paying for the luxury, the storage, the warranty etc etc. Most any wakeboat can make a nice wave with proper setup.

Point being if you want to upgrade just don't try to convince yourself that it's all for the wave, it's for the boat and the boating experience the wave is just a plus.

Holdmybeer
07-08-2021, 09:29 AM
+1 on SONIC's post.

I am new to this wake boat ownership thing as of this season. Owned several other boats and grew up with boats in the family. The manual tabs and ballast on my '15 Mojo are get for my family. We are new to surfing and compared to others with much newer boats, autowake, surf gate, etc. we throw a comparable wave. (Thanks to help from this site). I bought the boat with lead so that helped with a light crew.

My only reason for still shopping a new Supra or other brand is for the comfort and convivence. Flip up sun pad seats, auto wake shapers, ballast fill times, warranty, chill tech, thrusters, etc. etc. I know I will have to keep my lead or add PNP bags to a new boat also. Its just how easy do I want to make it on myself creating the wave....move weight around or flip a switch. I have kids that don't understand what things cost yet, so my CFO said no to new. We also want to bring the dog and that is hard to stomach on a brand new interior.

sandm
07-08-2021, 11:38 AM
I'll agree with part of sonic's post but he's directionally spot on as usual :)....

our 20ssv was a good wave but the 22ve was great. no way the 20ssv would ever compete with the other 3 boats I have had so upgrading gave us a night and day wave difference. surfing mind you. boarding, the 20ssv DESTROYED the 22ve and z3.
talking 22-23ft to 22-23ft comparo, I agree with sonic 100% but boat length and even hull to some degree to play a part and no amount of lead/water/surf shapers was going to make the 20ssv vs the z3 a fair fight.

uniwarking
07-13-2021, 11:19 AM
Well, I've officially listed my 2013 Mojo.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2013-Moomba-Mojo-for-sale-CEDAR-FALLS-Iowa-124957.aspx

I'm hoping to sell here towards the end of our summer (September).

We are moving forward with a 2022 Moomba Mojo. I'd really love to jump to a Supra but with availability and cost I really think the Mojo is the boat for us. As things get closer, I'll probably have some questions for the group on 2022 Mojo options (tower, trailer tire size, etc.). Thanks!

Ironcross25
07-14-2021, 08:13 AM
I just saw your post last night. We are just about ready to pull the trigger and get a build spot for a mojo next summer. They are going fast around me.

I’m curious to see how long this used market stays this way. Capitalizing on it now or waiting until spring to sell. It’s a tough one and I also don’t want to be with out a boat that long either.