PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Bags Losing some water

rockymtnsurfer
06-18-2021, 08:02 AM
I fill my bags 100% and double check them that they are full. After about a hour of surfing, they seem to have lost some water (I believe in the overflow) I go head and cap them off and no problem. Anyone else have this problem? But sort of a pain.....and when I complain to my daughter that she hit or changed the settings, it's usually the bags that were the problem. Solution?

Holdmybeer
06-18-2021, 09:02 AM
Are they just draining or do you have water in the bilge?

I would suggest autowake is dumping to maintain pitch and roll settings if there is no water in the bilge.
Water in the boat and you have a bag leak, vent hose, extra caps not tight, hose fitting, etc.

Surgical_ass
06-18-2021, 09:58 AM
Mine do the same. I think its a combo of air and water escaping out the overflow hose ( i have the WM exact fit with the self venting instead of a PRV which i hate) that make the bags deflate. I have the opposite problem in my port side over flow hose. As it fills it kinks the hose and blocks it from draining. Ive tried adjusting the hose with no luck. I recently put a couple hose clamp on the kink to try and keep it open. I have my doubts on this fix. Any other ideas?

HFarr
06-18-2021, 10:08 AM
Interesting. I will have to check mine next time to see if they are doing that. As of now, I don't believe they are, but have not specifically looks to see. Do your ballast percentage indicators on the screen actually show a loss or drop?

On the hose kink issue, if you can find the right diameter of pvc or or pipe that is just big enough to Slide over the hose, then cut a short piece to act as a sleeve and slip it over the area that keeps kicking. You may even be able to slit the hard pipe and snap it over the hose to make installation easier. Then put the hose clamp over the slit pipe to keep it from opening back up.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

HFarr
06-18-2021, 10:14 AM
I hate auto correct and spell check!! "Or pe pipe". ( It just freaking tried to change "pe" to "or" on me again just now. Doesn't like pe for some reason) and that is "pe" as in Polyethylene.
"Kinking area" too.

Surgical_ass
06-18-2021, 10:36 AM
My fill percentages dont change unless i flip the switch. The bags usually stay tight until we make the 1st run. Must be the angle that releases air/water then

KnoxMojo
06-18-2021, 01:04 PM
Another thought, when your ballast impellers are starting to wear out, you will lose water back through the pump. I thought the same thing about overflow vent on my 15 Mojo, another member suggested impellers. Changed them out and no more water loss.

uniwarking
06-18-2021, 03:59 PM
Another thought, when your ballast impellers are starting to wear out, you will lose water back through the pump. I thought the same thing about overflow vent on my 15 Mojo, another member suggested impellers. Changed them out and no more water loss.

Agree, this has happened on mine before ('13 Mojo). I've also had actual leaks on the bags as well. Suppose the newer boats have a few more variables at play but these are good things to start with.

rockymtnsurfer
06-19-2021, 06:50 AM
My thought is that it is coming out of the overfill drain. When you start before getting on plane the pitch is steep. Being that I have 1000' in the middle compartments, and attached to the rears, could there be force pushing the rears into the overflow?
Fill guage does not change
Everything brand new pretty much, and never occured when I had the stock set up.
No water in hull, so no leaks.

My true throught is what I stated above, and didn't knwo if anyone with the same set up had it occuring.

Don't get me wrong, its definatley not the end of the world and it takes a few mintues to fill back up, and our wave is terrific......just curious.

1200's rear 1000' middle 1000 center and 500-750 bow depending on how many people

Never use Auto Wake. 100%. 25% @ 11.0-11.5

rockymtnsurfer
06-19-2021, 06:55 AM
Mine do the same. I think its a combo of air and water escaping out the overflow hose ( i have the WM exact fit with the self venting instead of a PRV which i hate) that make the bags deflate. I have the opposite problem in my port side over flow hose. As it fills it kinks the hose and blocks it from draining. Ive tried adjusting the hose with no luck. I recently put a couple hose clamp on the kink to try and keep it open. I have my doubts on this fix. Any other ideas?

You make me have a thought with your comments. Maybe my middle to rear connection hose has too much extra hose and combo with air and lower location of extra hose could cause a siphon effect.

I am only loosing 50 lbs on each and no more. Just not tight anymore, and its defiantly water and not air. I have a little longer hose from middle to rear for play when they are deflated. Mmmmmmm

Thank you all for your thoughts

haknslash
06-19-2021, 08:05 AM
My fill percentages dont change unless i flip the switch. The bags usually stay tight until we make the 1st run. Must be the angle that releases air/water then

The fill percentages in the display is not active or dynamic. It’s entirely based off the timer. You could fill you bags and then stab it with a knife and it would still show 100%.

KnoxMojo
06-19-2021, 12:43 PM
Everything brand new pretty much, and never occured when I had the stock set up.

How many hours on your boat? How many hours since you added all the extra plumbed in ballast? 3 pumps or 6 pumps?

rockymtnsurfer
06-20-2021, 07:05 AM
How many hours on your boat? How many hours since you added all the extra plumbed in ballast? 3 pumps or 6 pumps?

300hrs.......6 pump......new impellers every season. New mid ship last fall....500's to 1000's

KnoxMojo
06-20-2021, 01:51 PM
300hrs.......6 pump......new impellers every season. New mid ship last fall....500's to 1000's

Here is my trouble shooting advice to kinda quit chasing the issue. After you fill the bags and verify no air, close the associated valves to the pumps. if no water lost, it is indeed going back through the pumps. If still losing water, use rubber stoppers in your overflow vents. If it stops, you know that was the issue, if not, you're losing water somewhere else. Good luck. If it is your overflow ports, you can re run hose to make it longer and not a straight shot out the side when nose pitched up.

HFarr
06-20-2021, 02:31 PM
Knoxmojo advice sounds good. Some big fishing corks could make good stoppers.

jnr4817
06-22-2021, 04:22 PM
Mine does this. I fill full. Purge any air. Refill till it voids out the overflow. Then we surf. After about 15-20 min I recheck and bag is no longer tight. I refill once it voids again and continue. These bags stretch and contract when hot or cold. I have noticed the lake water will make them more rigid and as it warms up the bags settle more and I can fill more. Not sure I’m losing any extra water, but gaining volume because the bag has warmed up and gotten bigger due to stretch. It most noticeable in the bow bag.

rockymtnsurfer
06-23-2021, 08:06 AM
Mine does this. I fill full. Purge any air. Refill till it voids out the overflow. Then we surf. After about 15-20 min I recheck and bag is no longer tight. I refill once it voids again and continue. These bags stretch and contract when hot or cold. I have noticed the lake water will make them more rigid and as it warms up the bags settle more and I can fill more. Not sure I’m losing any extra water, but gaining volume because the bag has warmed up and gotten bigger due to stretch. It most noticeable in the bow bag..

Thats interesting as it had been 95 degrees here for the last 2 weeks. I never noticed it before, but now I am just dealing with it as its no big deal. My 2 thoughts now are....1. what you have experienced, or 2. my pitch and the 100's in the mid are pushing a little out of the overflow of the 1250's in the rear. My wave doesn't suffer, and if it does, I just fill for about a minute. After all comments and suggestions, I have check my entire system and it is working as it should. Thank you for the comments......this might be the case with our rare heat wave.