PDA

View Full Version : Insulating motorbox/shell on DD

iaonbb
04-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Hey all...anyone ever go to the trouble to try and insulate their motor cover? I saw a write up once somewhere and the kit is avilable through Overtons. Wondering if it is worthwhile? I have an '04 Mobius LS DD and the engine noise is killing the tunes in the cockpit. Apreciate any/all experiences..thanks

pickle311
04-23-2007, 05:47 PM
I have the DD Outback and the majority of the noise comes from the exhaust, I would suggest the Fresh Air Exhaust if you really want your boat quiet and it will eliminate most of the Carbon Monoxide as well.

http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

MOOMBA_97
04-23-2007, 08:23 PM
My '01 Outback LS already has it, I assume from the factory. I did insulate the engine box on my Boomerang though. Made all the difference in the world and would do it to the one I have now if it wasn't already there. I would suggest getting the stuff off Ebay. It was MUCH cheaper than Overtons. You will need to buy some spray adhesive from an auto parts store (the heavy duty kind). Just make sure everything you use is heat/fire retardant.

seanpatsdad
04-23-2007, 08:40 PM
I did this to a Supra I had.Made a huge difference.I bought the stuff from JC Whitney.I think the glue I used was just yhe 3M spray on Contact.Good luck.
John

iaonbb
04-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks guys...since it's raining today maybe I'll tackle it tonight or whenever I can get the insulation...

Pickle~ LOVE the concept, don't love the price though. Also makes me wonder it is all that they say it is. Why don't mfg's make it standard on all boats if it indeed that much better in sooo many ways. Something doesn't seem right?

pickle311
04-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks guys...since it's raining today maybe I'll tackle it tonight or whenever I can get the insulation...

Pickle~ LOVE the concept, don't love the price though. Also makes me wonder it is all that they say it is. Why don't mfg's make it standard on all boats if it indeed that much better in sooo many ways. Something doesn't seem right?

yea, the price is high for what it is, I know that the people that have them on their boats swear by it. They say it helps a ton.

iaonbb
04-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Here's a thought...seems like such a simple DIY mod. Almost like you could fab one out of PVC from Home Depot or have a muffler shop make something up...anyone up for the challenge? I bet a guy that could produce these could make a ton of $$$ just selling them by word of mouth and through this and many other sites...hmmmm???

MOOMBA_97
04-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Rather than start a new thread I'll ask this kind of stupid question here since it also pertains to the engine cover. The cover on my 01 LS only goes up about half way and then hits on the back seat. The junper seat is actually what is hitting. When working on the engine you have to prop it up to get it to stay. Is this how they are supposed to be or is there some way to get it to go all the way up and stay by itself? My old Boomerang flipped all the way back.

iaonbb
04-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Easiest is to undo the 4 rubber tie-downs inside of the cover and remove it all together..takes aabout 30 seconds and makes a huge diference in access...my '04 Mobius does stay up btw