PDA

View Full Version : Surf ropes FFS!!

DDD123
06-14-2021, 10:24 PM
So frustrated with surf ropes right now. Bought a Swell rope which looked cool, nice handle and in two surf trips it is fraying like crazy. Sending that one back, read a ton of reviews and nearly all of them are having a ton of fraying problems so my question is does a rope exist that won't easily fray or should I use a wakeboard rope in its place? I just want to be sure I make the right choices at this point.

sandm
06-14-2021, 10:37 PM
don't use a wakeboard rope. the difference in the handles can snag an arm/leg and a 1-way trip to the ER.

we always had good luck with hyperlite and ronix.

KnoxMojo
06-14-2021, 10:49 PM
I have had a Ronix for around 5 years or more, still looks great. I wouldn't worry about a bit of fraying, the rope is thick and it isn't going to break.

Prospersigman
06-15-2021, 08:39 AM
https://www.lakewakelife.com/products/joy-stick-surf-rope-2-0

These Joystick surf ropes are the bomb!! Well built, quality rope, super comfy handle that is really well padded and they literally retract right back into the boat.

ghebert1111
06-15-2021, 09:12 AM
We've had this one since 2016 and it still looks brand new. No longer available but you can google CWB Proline LG Surf Rope.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GYZ49R0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

haknslash
06-15-2021, 06:25 PM
I think mine is some kind of Proline brand or something but it’s lasted great since 2016.

larry_arizona
06-15-2021, 07:06 PM
Mine is a proline thick braided rope, going strong on season 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kidder522
06-15-2021, 07:09 PM
^^. Braided rope with no handle. We only bring out the ski rope when someone is too weak to hold the rope with their grip strength.

larry_arizona
06-15-2021, 07:13 PM
Mine has a small handle, a couple knots with foam grips to help pull you into the pocket.

Only thing I don’t like about it is you need to untwist it often from bouncing around on the other side of the wake.

EDIT: it’s a straight line sports surf rope.

rockymtnsurfer
06-15-2021, 09:40 PM
https://www.lakewakelife.com/products/joy-stick-surf-rope-2-0

These Joystick surf ropes are the bomb!! Well built, quality rope, super comfy handle that is really well padded and they literally retract right back into the boat.

Love it too....best rope we have used and slings right into the boat with no effort

Guppydriver
06-15-2021, 11:47 PM
Love it too....best rope we have used and slings right into the boat with no effort

Times 3........

Also great for beginners who fall back on the wave only to get "snapped back" when the boat catches up. Safer than a triangle handle as well.

Guppydriver
06-15-2021, 11:50 PM
Also...if you message him on Insta with a picture of your boat, he will try to color match the handle. I have a white boat with sea foam color accents and my rope is white with a sea foam handle. Love it, but I wish I would have ordered the longer one (customs can't be returned).

Yzfguy06
06-16-2021, 03:15 PM
I would use Hyperlite or Liquid Force. I have one of each right now. My liquid force rope is on its 3rd season now. My hyperlite is brand new i have not used it yet. If it is anything like their other ropes it will last a while. I will never buy a ronix product again. They customer service is terrible (imo) and so is their warranty. I bought a R8 main line and handle and they sunk after they said it would float.

https://liquidforce.com/surf-8-floating-rope/

Yzfguy06
06-16-2021, 03:16 PM
The link is the my liquid force rope i have now but obviously newer.

HFarr
06-16-2021, 05:25 PM
Holy moly that's expensive for such a shot piece of rope! But I know it's just part of it. I have a hyperlink rope that behaves very well. Floats well and doesn't appear to load up and stretch. Doesn't snap back anyway.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

HFarr
06-16-2021, 05:26 PM
I hate smart phones and their predicting what word you are typing and autocorrect sometimes!!

Yzfguy06
06-16-2021, 05:47 PM
Holy moly that's expensive for such a shot piece of rope! But I know it's just part of it. I have a hyperlink rope that behaves very well. Floats well and doesn't appear to load up and stretch. Doesn't snap back anyway.

The ronix rope/handle was a wakeboard rope. The handle acted like a boat anchor, because of that i will never own one of their products. My surf ropes all float no problem. I only bought a new rope because the foam on the LF rope is starting to come apart otherwise its great.

Tommy2slow
06-16-2021, 07:06 PM
The ronix rope/handle was a wakeboard rope. The handle acted like a boat anchor, because of that i will never own one of their products. My surf ropes all float no problem. I only bought a new rope because the foam on the LF rope is starting to come apart otherwise its great.
Most higher end rope/handle combos sink

Yzfguy06
06-16-2021, 07:23 PM
Most higher end rope/handle combos sink

That would be fine if the description didn't say foam used for Buoyancy. My hyperlite handle and rope sets float and they're high end.