PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Kaiyen Issues

dunc61
06-12-2021, 11:57 PM
My wife, daughter and I took my brand new 2021 Kaiyen out for the first time and noticed that the boat listed to the starboard side by 3 degrees continuously at all speeds during the break in period. Even when alone in calm water at stop, my boat still listed to the right. It makes no sense as weight was very evenly balanced and the list just doesnÂ’t feel right.
Also I noticed that the sub floor area beneath the middle drain plug access had 2-3” of water the whole time we were cruising and the manual/auto bilge would not empty the water. Is this normal or could I have leaks in my mid/forward ballasts?
Still waiting to here back from my dealership, but hoping to hear from some real boaters.

larry_arizona
06-13-2021, 07:24 AM
3 degrees is quite a bit of list.

2-3” of water at the drain just from cruising during break in is also a little odd.

Does it list if you are idle or only when moving?

Did you accidentally partially fill one of your ballast bags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holdmybeer
06-13-2021, 09:29 AM
Ballast switch hit by accident or autowake active and auto filling.
Loose ballast connection leaking into bilge.
Cross-threaded drain plug or loose plug.

Bilge pump needs a lot more than 3" of water to activate. It isn't mounted at the lowest point. I would give other ideas but the boat is brand new so those would all be warranty issues.

Hayden
06-14-2021, 09:05 PM
For the leak - I would start with checking all ballast bag fittings. When I received my boat the rear bags were not sleeved into the proper compartments, they were left under the midships seats rather than the actual underfloor ballast compartment. (This was after the dealer did their lake test/checks.) I also had to fill/drain the rear bags several times to have them seat properly in terms of not rubbing on exposed fiberglass pinch points or tear points. Easily possible that one of my bags could have torn or leaked after a couple hours had I not done this.

For the list, I would recalibrate the inclinometer, bring the speed up to 25mph, then ensure that the LCD screen is showing boat surf plates at 0. If all of that looks good but you're still listed, I would take it to dealer.

rhouse181
06-15-2021, 04:32 PM
Do you have Flow 2 or 3? Sometimes the small plate on Flow 3 doesn't retract fully after disengaging the surf tab which can cause some roll on the boat even if weight is evenly distributed. Easy to visually inspect by sticking your head off the swim platform. But if you are listing when still stationary, this wouldn't be the cause...

Has to be a weight distribution issue and I would manually inspect the rear ballast bags on the listing side to make sure it's truly empty.

Ralphy
06-16-2021, 12:07 AM
For the boat listing - since it's your first ride, is it possible the surf switch was flipped to the left?
2-3 inches of water would pool in the middle and wouldn't have that effect.
For the water - first thing I would check is the vent hose on the front back. Ours wasn't connected when we picked up ours, and also had water sitting there. The bilge is in the rear of the boat so completely normal for some water in the middle.

dunc61
06-26-2021, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all the input as finally back at the cabin to try all advice provided. But still a mystery as I checked all fittings and still getting 3+ inches midship and bilge constantly kicking in when filling ballast it seems. Dealer is baffled but no urgency they say to warrant 3 hr one way haul back and extra ballast never hurts.

dunc61
06-26-2021, 11:40 AM
In my 2021 Kaiyen with full gas, full ballast, lots of gear, six adults in the boat and 1surfer with all factory presets for pitch 8.0, roll -3.0 port, WP 25 and people appropriately seated and with Autowake engaged and achieved for pitch/roll. Despite various speeds of 10.4 to 11mph, my Amp meter both potential/actual reads at the very bottom of bar chart. How is that possible and again dealer has no clue? Do I need recalibrate or is that purely pitch and roll? I did test levelness with my phone inclinometer at rest and was very close.

185BR
08-07-2021, 03:29 PM
My Kaiyen always shows max amplitude regardless of weight. I'm waiting to hear back from the factory for a fix.

HFarr
08-07-2021, 05:22 PM
My Kaiyen always shows max amplitude regardless of weight. I'm waiting to hear back from the factory for a fix.My Makai seems to be doing the same thing lately. Be interested to see what they tell you.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TXSurf4
08-07-2021, 09:06 PM
Mine is the same, very random.

Ya will be interesting to see what the issue/fix is as well. I assume that this isn’t isolated to a few boats. My guess is most people aren’t paying attention or are like me and didn’t realize that it controls the level of deployment of the surf tabs until Ragboy’s post on the Mojo thread so I didn’t let it bother me until now.

I wonder if it is just trapped air or something simple. The way I understand that it works is that it is just a tube with sensor connected to a thru hull fitting creating a column of water and the deeper you sink the boat the taller the column of water. Never really looked for it or looked more in to how it worked. I will definitely be checking it out next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dunc61
09-17-2021, 09:43 AM
Discovered earlier this summer after removing rear cargo trays and all the gear that my starboard side ballast was only 2/3 empty despite reading empty on digital screen. Thus the listing of boat and too full to remove to empty. Most of us are goofy foot so lived with it.
Just pulled boat out for the season and thought the midship belly water would drain out rearplug on slope, but nope had to drain it twice via belly plug, once at the launch and again after driving home. Not sure where that second batch of 3” of water comes from.
Dealer now looking into my amplitude meter reading zero all the time and also why the time on digital screen won’t update. Likely whole system needs to be reset. It’s been frustrating with this new Kaiyen, despite all the great new features, as I have at least 10 issues to be dealt with under warranty in the first 30hrs. With my old 2006 LSV, I put almost 700hrs and never had any issues other than normal maintenance. Don’t make ‘em like they used to.
Will let everyone know what dealer discovers.