PDA

View Full Version : Makai thruster install

cpropes2005
06-08-2021, 10:24 AM
Figured I should just start a new thread instead of continuing hijack Larry's review of the Supra thruster.

I picked up a sideshift stern thruster for my Makai on Black Friday last year. My comments below on how it is performing so far copied below from the other thread.

"I added a thruster to my Makai. Not the same system as on the Supras so cant comment on the amount of thrust but it sounds similar. Enough to back straight up and slowly turn the boat on its axis in either direction.

As for the use cases I think all of the comments are spot on. I don't think it will help much to get back to your rider quicker. Turning the wheel opposite of your surfer (the surf tabs help) while coming off plane already kicks the boat around almost immediately so no need for a thruster there.

I do use it some once I get back to the surfer just to position the boat in the direction I want to go relative to the rider. Like mentioned, its not an issue for advanced riders but some of the younger ones and novices like to come up on the surf side and thruster makes that easier especially if it is windy or you want to switch directions and head back where you came from. My kids have also just started trying some dock starts on a wakeboard and it was really nice to be able to keep the boat aligned while bringing them the rope and easing out the slack.

Docking is great and I use it every time even if it is just to bump it for a second or two to make it slide in perfectly. Any slight mis-alignment that might previously have needed to be handled by your bumpers or dock hands is now easily adjusted for with the thruster.

Also love being able to back in a straight line or turn against the prop rotation. Backing into the beach is now easier and no more big sweeping 180's in reverse because I cant point the back of the boat where I want it to go.

Have been driving inboards for a really long time so definitely didn't need it but it sure is nice to have. Don't think I will ever own another boat without one."

SONIC
06-08-2021, 10:27 AM
What did you pay for it and how was the install?

cpropes2005
06-08-2021, 10:29 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210608/c6ee5f9086131a578d88570ce5d752da.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210608/83c54bdfa4ba8a144203bef20ef6c72a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh828
06-08-2021, 10:35 AM
Gosh its not a little guy huh haha
Looks pretty simple however

cpropes2005
06-08-2021, 10:38 AM
Yeah, pretty good size but fits well in that location. I actually also rotated the Joystick 90 degrees from that picture. Feels more natural to push up than back to move the back of the boat to the right. Was trying to find the pictures I took of the wiring harness install but no luck. Will have to snag one next time I am down at the boat.

RC_Hinojosa
06-08-2021, 10:40 AM
That's got to be the first one I've seen mounted on the wakeplate instead of the transom.

How much was the system?
Did you install it yourself?
If you did, was it shadetree or a pita?
If not, how much was install?

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

cpropes2005
06-08-2021, 10:44 AM
That's got to be the first one I've seen mounted on the wakeplate instead of the transom.

How much was the system?
Did you install it yourself?
If you did, was it shadetree or a pita?
If not, how much was install?

They have a few more pictures on other brand wake boats on their website but yeah I hadnt seen that mounting option before either. Might not be as clean of a look as some of the others but a much simpler install and less holes to drill through the transom.

cpropes2005
06-08-2021, 10:46 AM
What did you pay for it and how was the install?

I think with the 20% off black Friday deal it came to about $2800. Install was straight forward. Getting the heavy gauge wiring run and connected was a bit of a pain but not terrible.

RC_Hinojosa
06-08-2021, 10:50 AM
I think with the 20% off black Friday deal it came to about $2800. Install was straight forward. Getting the heavy gauge wiring run and connected was a bit of a pain but not terrible.That's not half bad...not nearly as much as I was imagining but you probably saved at least a grand doing the install yourself.

Well done sir!

cpropes2005
06-08-2021, 10:54 AM
That's not half bad...not nearly as much as I was imagining but you probably saved at least a grand doing the install yourself.

Well done sir!

Haha, yeah had shopped the other brands for a while but couldn't bring myself to do it for those prices. This one came along and dropped just below my "screw it click the buy button" threshold.

TXSurf4
06-08-2021, 11:02 AM
Is the motor variable speed? If so how is the speed adjusted?

cpropes2005
06-08-2021, 11:22 AM
Is the motor variable speed? If so how is the speed adjusted?

No, single speed. If I want to make small adjustments I just bump it for a second or two vs holding it for an extended burst to get the boat to swing all of the way around.

Hayden
06-08-2021, 12:02 PM
Any noticeable changes to your wave shape? Seems like it might put some oddball drag/cavitation into the wave face?

SONIC
06-08-2021, 12:40 PM
Any noticeable changes to your wave shape? Seems like it might put some oddball drag/cavitation into the wave face?

Shouldn't it's always above the wake plate so shouldn't really even be in the water once you're moving.

I too haven't seen it on the plate, I like it though Simple!

HFarr
06-08-2021, 02:28 PM
I like that too. As a matter of fact, I may just have to do that. That is less than half the cost of the EZ thrusters when I called to get pricing from them. And I honestly like the idea of not drilling holes in the transom. Or as few as possible anyway.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
06-08-2021, 02:50 PM
I like that install, I would want that joystick next to throttle.

Does that thruster operate at all speeds?

UNSTUCK
06-08-2021, 04:07 PM
I like it! I'm wondering about the joy stick controller though. Seems like it would be difficult to operate it and the throttle at the same time. Is the joystick just a momentary on-off-on switch? I wonder if you could get a Supra throttle and be able to use the twist function? Or swap in a Tige throttle and use the built in momentary switch for the TAPS plate. No idea if the throttles are compatible, but my guess is they could be made to work if not a direct swap.

cpropes2005
06-08-2021, 05:56 PM
I like it! I'm wondering about the joy stick controller though. Seems like it would be difficult to operate it and the throttle at the same time. Is the joystick just a momentary on-off-on switch? I wonder if you could get a Supra throttle and be able to use the twist function? Or swap in a Tige throttle and use the built in momentary switch for the TAPS plate. No idea if the throttles are compatible, but my guess is they could be made to work if not a direct swap.

Was worried about the same thing but in practice it has become natural to move my hand back and forth. Definitely would say putting it as close to the throttle as possible is a plus. Actually wanted to put it on the the angled surface on the front of the arm rest but there is not enough room for the backing plates behind it.

cpropes2005
06-08-2021, 05:58 PM

No, no effect on the wake. Like Sonic said it’s basically out of the water at speed.

SONIC
06-09-2021, 08:05 AM
Here's a link. They ae showing it on the plate on their website as well:

https://shop-us.sideshift.com/collections/monohull-bow-stern-thruster-products/products/wb230-wakeboat-stern-thruster

Holdmybeer
06-09-2021, 08:18 AM
I would think with the wireless remote this would be really easy to use while throttling.

I like the fact that backing up straight or to port would actually be possible.

Any concern about the wakeplate actuator? Maybe have to increase strength to hold extra weight?

UNSTUCK
06-09-2021, 10:40 AM
The wake plate actuator spends most of its time resisting up/compression forces, so this would have no effect on that. If anything you'd likely wear out your hinge or be more likely to pull the mounting screws out of the transom, but even that is doubtful.

Did I miss where it says the weight of motor and prop?

SONIC
06-09-2021, 11:18 AM
Yeah I went and yanked on mine pretty hard to see how it would handle it and I think it will be fine.
Definitely forces that hinge wasn't designed for but they are pretty beefy.

Branden967
06-09-2021, 11:19 AM
Super cool project, Im stoked to see this tested out. I was reading through the installation guide and it says that you need to have the blades at least 5" below the waterline. Do you have that distance with it on the plate?

larry_arizona
06-09-2021, 11:21 AM
These thrusters are not aggressive, not that much thrust. These are low speed assist devices.

UNSTUCK
06-09-2021, 01:07 PM
These thrusters are not aggressive, not that much thrust. These are low speed assist devices.

Did you have one on a previous boat, or any other first hand knowledge? Did you watch any of there videos? They looked aggressive enough. Low speed as in they will turn the boat slowly, or low speed as in you can only use them at slow speeds? How fast do they need to spin the boat for docking and trailering?

I sent an email asking for a package that does not include the joy stick and wireless parts. If they will do that it should drop the price pretty significantly.

larry_arizona
06-09-2021, 01:09 PM
Did you have one on a previous boat, or any other first hand knowledge? Did you watch any of there videos? They looked aggressive enough. Low speed as in they will turn the boat slowly, or low speed as in you can only use them at slow speeds? How fast do they need to spin the boat for docking and trailering?

I sent an email asking for a package that does not include the joy stick and wireless parts. If they will do that it should drop the price pretty significantly.

Only first hand knowledge of the Supra system.

UNSTUCK
06-09-2021, 04:30 PM
Only first hand knowledge of the Supra system.

Why make those claims then?

larry_arizona
06-09-2021, 04:39 PM

Not sure what claims you are referring too, I made a few general observations on the various wake thrusters out there. Simply the intent is some driver assist.

If this kit will do full speed bat turns with the thrust of a 155 mm jet ski pump great.

UNSTUCK
06-09-2021, 04:41 PM
In my conversation with Sideshift today, I learned a bit more and am more interested now. Their "WB230" system peaks at 300 starting amps and drops to 180 running amps. That's about 2.5 HP for 100 pounds of thrust. This is consistent with what I'm seeing for other brands marketing our boats. They range from 75 to 110 pounds of thrust, but you could needlessly go as big as you want. Max run time is 30 seconds with a "10 second cool down" following that. I wonder if that's not a typo though and should be 10 minutes?
I was quoted $2695.00 for this system, excluding the joystick, key fob and receiver. A simple on-off-on momentary switch is all that's needed to supply 12 volts to either side of the motor controller. This could make controlling it really customizable to your liking. Something like this would work fine though:

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Solid-Open-Close-Momentary-Symbols/dp/B01HQQOFHY/ref=sr_1_31?dchild=1&keywords=Tilt+Trim+Switch&qid=1623271133&sr=8-31

It's temping for sure.

larry_arizona
06-09-2021, 04:57 PM

I think you thought I was calling out the side shift as not be aggressive or not enough thrust. I was referring to wakeboat thrusters in general.

Just helping set expectations of how aggressive thrusters are in general.

I really like the sideshift kit and would get it if I wanted thrusters.

trace
06-09-2021, 06:15 PM
UNSTUCK, you would need to use that switch to drive a relay. The relay would have to be spec'd to handle the 180+ amps. That 20 amp switch alone won't last long if it's really peaking 300 amps and running at 180.

In my conversation with Sideshift today, I learned a bit more and am more interested now. Their "WB230" system peaks at 300 starting amps and drops to 180 running amps. That's about 2.5 HP for 100 pounds of thrust. This is consistent with what I'm seeing for other brands marketing our boats. They range from 75 to 110 pounds of thrust, but you could needlessly go as big as you want. Max run time is 30 seconds with a "10 second cool down" following that. I wonder if that's not a typo though and should be 10 minutes?
I was quoted $2695.00 for this system, excluding the joystick, key fob and receiver. A simple on-off-on momentary switch is all that's needed to supply 12 volts to either side of the motor controller. This could make controlling it really customizable to your liking. Something like this would work fine though:

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Solid-Open-Close-Momentary-Symbols/dp/B01HQQOFHY/ref=sr_1_31?dchild=1&keywords=Tilt+Trim+Switch&qid=1623271133&sr=8-31

It's temping for sure.

PJSurf
06-09-2021, 08:52 PM
I have to admit I'm surprised it has the open propeller blade. I can imagine someone irresponsible coming back to get a downed surfer and they put their leg in that thing. Ouch! Most of the others I've seen are in a tunnel with a grate preventing the "circular" saw blade :-D

UNSTUCK
06-09-2021, 09:33 PM
UNSTUCK, you would need to use that switch to drive a relay. The relay would have to be spec'd to handle the 180+ amps. That 20 amp switch alone won't last long if it's really peaking 300 amps and running at 180.

That’s what the motor controller is. Box of relays.

UNSTUCK
06-09-2021, 09:35 PM
I think you thought I was calling out the side shift as not be aggressive or not enough thrust. I was referring to wakeboat thrusters in general.

Just helping set expectations of how aggressive thrusters are in general.

I really like the sideshift kit and would get it if I wanted thrusters.

I was.

And this is a sentence to make my post long enough. :D

trace
06-10-2021, 06:34 PM
That’s what the motor controller is. Box of relays.

Whoops, my bad. I missed you were keeping the controller box. Good call.

jcarter20
08-14-2022, 09:00 PM
Haha, yeah had shopped the other brands for a while but couldn't bring myself to do it for those prices. This one came along and dropped just below my "screw it click the buy button" threshold.

Any new updates or feedback from this system? I am highly considering a thruster kit. My only experience is being on a G23 for a weekend with thrusters. Now I need them. [emoji23]

shawnrw
05-06-2023, 02:38 PM
Bump, has anybody else added these?